|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ is best understood by those who make it, not by those who view it, according to the authors.
2. The first question an artist must ask of themselves is: "What was the artist trying to ___________?"
3. Art existed long before ____________, according to the authors, but some artists feel that they need these anyways.
4. In order to teach art, one must have a ___________, which has limited the market in terms of art teaching positions.
5. Many universities will want their teachers to have ___________, which can also cause the artist to be limited in what and how they do the things they do.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do many artists dread the idea of being a faculty member at an art school or in an art program?
2. How does an artist make progress in their art and in the world, according to the authors in this section?
3. What are two other problems which artists often bring up in relation to art schools and to going to art school?
4. What do the first two questions of Henry James help to do for the artist?
5. What does an art degree allow an artist to do, according to the authors, even if they do not think it's necessary to make art?
6. What is the unpopular position that the authors take in relation to the art programs in college?
7. Why is perfection impossible when it comes to art, according to what the authors have written in this section?
8. What do the problems which occur after a piece of art is made make an artist do?
9. What does a true artist do with the feedback they receive for their art, according to the authors of the book?
10. What is the problem once a university gets an artist on board at their learning establishment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Newcomer talent is often ignored, according to the authors, when it comes to new art teachers.
Part 1: Why do you think it's harder for newcomer talent to be appreciated in teachers?
Part 2: Why are the years a person has taught seemingly more important to measure?
Part 3: How do you think the skill set of art teachers should be measured?
Essay Topic 2
From the start, the authors also note that art is made by ordinary people and not necessarily by extraordinary people.
Part 1: Why do you think the authors believe that ordinary people are able to make art?
Part 2: Do you think that art is generally made by extraordinary people? Why?
Part 3: How do you think ordinary people can make extraordinary things like great masterpieces of art?
Essay Topic 3
The authors point out that in order to do good work as an artist, a person might be a part of their community and their time.
Part 1: Why do you think that the artist needs to be a part of their community in order to do good work?
Part 2: How does an artist become a part of their time during their career as an artist?
Part 3: Do you think that it's fair for the authors to talk about the goal of doing 'good work' as an artist?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)