|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Artists must seek out ___________, publication, and exhibitions in order to spread the word about their art.
2. The best art will seek to ____________ both the viewer and the creator, according to the authors.
3. Modern art does not seem to understand that an artist needs to take their own ___________ at the time when creating.
4. ____________ asked three questions of the artist, according to the authors in this first part of the book.
5. One of the most serious barriers to doing good art is letting ________________ throw the artist into uncertainty.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the first two questions of Henry James help to do for the artist?
2. Who understands art the best, according to the authors of the book and their thoughts in this section?
3. Why do many artists dread the idea of being a faculty member at an art school or in an art program?
4. What does a true artist do with the feedback they receive for their art, according to the authors of the book?
5. What happens to many artists who rely solely on themselves for their art and the motivation for their art?
6. What must an artist be aware of when their work is considered to be too risky for others, according to the authors?
7. Why do many artists sometimes have bad reputations in the outside world, according to the authors?
8. What does a true artist always keep in mind when it comes to creating art and about their efforts?
9. Why should an artist seek the challenge of practicing the best art possible in their lives?
10. What are some of the ways in which a person can boost their artistic reputation and get hired by a university?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Having a higher education degree is not necessary to create good art, according to the authors.
Part 1: Why do you think that a degree in art might be helpful to an artist?
Part 2: How might a higher education degree in art negatively affected an artist?
Part 3: Do you think that artists should or should not pursue a higher education degree for art?
Essay Topic 2
Newcomer talent is often ignored, according to the authors, when it comes to new art teachers.
Part 1: Why do you think it's harder for newcomer talent to be appreciated in teachers?
Part 2: Why are the years a person has taught seemingly more important to measure?
Part 3: How do you think the skill set of art teachers should be measured?
Essay Topic 3
Habits can hurt and help a person who is trying to be creative, according to the authors of the book.
Part 1: Do you think you need more or fewer habits in order to be creative?
Part 2: Why do you think having some structure is helpful to artists?
Part 3: Why do you think artists need to have some unstructured time as well?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)