|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many artists are rated based on the grants they might receive from the National ___________ for the Arts.
2. It's interesting to point out that art teachers have ________ reputations in the art world, according to the authors.
3. With ________, perfection is impossible to achieve because it is innovative, according to the authors.
4. If an artist is creating a piece of work and does not know how it will turn out, they might fear it will ___________ something inadequate about them.
5. Once the art piece has been completed, this is where many other ____________ can arise, according to the authors.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the first two questions of Henry James help to do for the artist?
2. What do many universities want an art teacher to have, though these prospective teachers may feel this can limit their growth?
3. What is the unpopular position that the authors take in relation to the art programs in college?
4. How does an artist make progress in their art and in the world, according to the authors in this section?
5. Who understands art the best, according to the authors of the book and their thoughts in this section?
6. What must an artist be aware of when their work is considered to be too risky for others, according to the authors?
7. What is art always bound up in, according to the authors of this book?
8. What are some of the ways in which a person can boost their artistic reputation and get hired by a university?
9. What are the three questions that Henry James asked of the artist, according to this section of the book?
10. What is a problem of having too many focused habits as an artist, according to the authors of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some artists are afraid they don't have the special touch other artists seem to have, blaming a loss of magic on their lack of talent.
Part 1: Why do you think artists believe art is magic sometimes?
Part 2: Do you think that artists are always able to have a magical experience when creating art?
Part 3: How do you think that an artist can find the finishing touch they feel is magical?
Essay Topic 2
The authors note that quitting art requires that not only does the person have to stop making art, but they need to continue to not make art.
Part 1: Why do you think so many people quit making art?
Part 2: How do you think an artist might be able to talk themselves into restarting to make art after quitting?
Part 3: Do you agree that many artists quit art along the way, never to start up again?
Essay Topic 3
Newcomer talent is often ignored, according to the authors, when it comes to new art teachers.
Part 1: Why do you think it's harder for newcomer talent to be appreciated in teachers?
Part 2: Why are the years a person has taught seemingly more important to measure?
Part 3: How do you think the skill set of art teachers should be measured?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)