|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sometimes artists are embarrassed by ______________ since it seems to undermine other projects they have done.
2. Whether one gets a job at a university will be helped by the artist's _________ in the community doing shows and exhibiting at galleries.
3. Relying on what is within an artist can also increase the risk of _____________, according to the authors.
4. ___________ committees rarely choose people for teaching positions based on talent and judging teachers at all is difficult.
5. New artwork enlarges ___________, according to the authors of this book, which is why new things must be tried.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the first two questions of Henry James help to do for the artist?
2. How does an artist make progress in their art and in the world, according to the authors in this section?
3. Why do many artists sometimes have bad reputations in the outside world, according to the authors?
4. What do many universities want an art teacher to have, though these prospective teachers may feel this can limit their growth?
5. What are two other problems which artists often bring up in relation to art schools and to going to art school?
6. What is the scary thing about art and about what an artist puts into their work?
7. What happens to many artists who rely solely on themselves for their art and the motivation for their art?
8. What is the problem once a university gets an artist on board at their learning establishment?
9. What are some of the ways in which a person can boost their artistic reputation and get hired by a university?
10. Why is perfection impossible when it comes to art, according to what the authors have written in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The authors note that quitting art requires that not only does the person have to stop making art, but they need to continue to not make art.
Part 1: Why do you think so many people quit making art?
Part 2: How do you think an artist might be able to talk themselves into restarting to make art after quitting?
Part 3: Do you agree that many artists quit art along the way, never to start up again?
Essay Topic 2
There are many more things to being an artist than just producing art.
Part 1: Do you think that an artist should be involved in the ordinary tasks of being an artist?
Part 2: What other ordinary tasks of being an artist have the authors forgotten to mention?
Part 3: How do you think an artist's work is impacted by the ordinary activities they need to do?
Essay Topic 3
Students who want to continue to do art have troubles after leaving school, according to the authors.
Part 1: Why do you think students can have difficulties continuing to do art when they leave school?
Part 2: How do you think schools could support students who want to continue to do art?
Part 3: Do you think that students are responsible for their motivation after school ends or is the school responsible?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)