|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The authors wonder if art might be more ___________ to create today, in the newer times and opportunities.
2. Many times, an artist will begin to follow the ___________ of others because of the criticism they receive.
3. Quitting is distinct from __________, according to the authors of this book when writing in this section.
4. Sometimes, artists will imagine the ___________ surrounding them, which can lead to paralysis, according to the authors.
5. Artists who worry that things do not come easy for them may want to remember that making art is ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the authors feel many artists quit in their artistic endeavors, according to this section of the book?
2. When do artists only care about impressing others, according to the opinions of the authors?
3. What is one of the main fears that the authors feel artists have about themselves and the validity of their art?
4. What is the advice and the inspiration the authors want to leave the author with in the beginning of this book?
5. While art is generally made alone, according to the authors, what still matters?
6. What happens to young artists who become self conscious about their art and about their work?
7. Why might art be more difficult to create in these times, according to the authors?
8. What do the authors suggest students do in relation to their fears about art in their lives?
9. What must an artist do when the original destination of the art evaporates, according to the authors?
10. What can happen when a person is focuses on the reactions of critics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some artists are afraid they don't have the special touch other artists seem to have, blaming a loss of magic on their lack of talent.
Part 1: Why do you think artists believe art is magic sometimes?
Part 2: Do you think that artists are always able to have a magical experience when creating art?
Part 3: How do you think that an artist can find the finishing touch they feel is magical?
Essay Topic 2
From the start, the authors say that making art will involve skills which can be learned. This is a statement that others may not agree with.
Part 1: Do you agree that all art can be taught by simply learning a few skills?
Part 2: How have you learned to do the sorts of art pieces you have done in your own life?
Part 3: Why do you think the authors believe that skills can be learned which can create art?
Essay Topic 3
Newcomer talent is often ignored, according to the authors, when it comes to new art teachers.
Part 1: Why do you think it's harder for newcomer talent to be appreciated in teachers?
Part 2: Why are the years a person has taught seemingly more important to measure?
Part 3: How do you think the skill set of art teachers should be measured?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)