|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A person should be able to pursue __________ interests, no matter what others might think of them.
2. Most of the artists the authors have seen will quit because of __________ troubles which are occurring.
3. According to the authors, art ___________ is a struggle and one which will be discussed in this book.
4. The authors recommend that students try to find work at a __________ whenever possible after they graduate.
5. ___________ will always go ahead of execution, so the fear of a failure to execute this is always present.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the authors advise an artist should do when it comes to their art and criticism?
2. What do the authors say an artist can not pretend to do, even if they pretend to be an artist?
3. What do the authors have to say about the creation of art in relation to the skills needed and and the type of person who can be an artist?
4. What do the authors suggest students do in relation to their fears about art in their lives?
5. Why do the authors think certain artists quit at particular moments in their creation process?
6. What do the authors say would happen if only talent matters when it came to art, according to this section?
7. While art is generally made alone, according to the authors, what still matters?
8. What happens when an artist focuses too much on making a piece of art perfect, according to the authors?
9. Why do the authors feel many artists quit in their artistic endeavors, according to this section of the book?
10. What do the authors point out about most of art that they have experienced in their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of this book includes the words 'fear' and 'perils' which makes the idea of art seem to be more difficult.
Part 1: Do you agree that there is a lot of fear in art-making? Why?
Part 2: Who do you think creates the peril in art? The artist? The audience? Both?
Part 3: If you were an artist picking up this book, would you be inspired by the title? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are many more things to being an artist than just producing art.
Part 1: Do you think that an artist should be involved in the ordinary tasks of being an artist?
Part 2: What other ordinary tasks of being an artist have the authors forgotten to mention?
Part 3: How do you think an artist's work is impacted by the ordinary activities they need to do?
Essay Topic 3
Habits can hurt and help a person who is trying to be creative, according to the authors of the book.
Part 1: Do you think you need more or fewer habits in order to be creative?
Part 2: Why do you think having some structure is helpful to artists?
Part 3: Why do you think artists need to have some unstructured time as well?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)