Lesson 1 (from Chapter 1, The Nature of the Problem)
From the very start, the authors admit that making art is a struggle. Today's objective is to discuss how the students feel about the process of art making, what it brings up for them, etc.
1. Have each student define the idea of art as they understand it in their world.
2. In smaller groups, have students discuss whether they agree with the authors and the idea that art making is a struggle.
3. As a class, have the students discuss their relationship to art at this particular moment. Is it something they worry about? Is art something they enjoy? Is art a struggle?
4. Homework: Have each student define the idea of struggle and how they define the idea of a struggle.
5. Homework: Have students discuss whether they agree with starting off a book with the idea of admitting that art is a struggle. Does it make sense...
This section contains 5,362 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)