|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ancient Greeks and modern Europeans both sought to assimilate the ___________.
2. "A __________ girl doesn't have to wait for an opportunity to move next door," said one Arab woman.
3. Jews were rarely oppressed or exterminated by Muslims as they were by _____________.
4. Muslim females are not allowed to have _______________ even in their own faith.
5. Where do the women on the radio program and her new partner meet during competing demonstrations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
2. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
3. Why do some Jews oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs?
4. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
5. After 45 days of imprisonment and torture, what did the young Palestinian swore he had done during that time?
6. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
7. What did the government pour millions of dollars into, thought they would not support Neve Shalom?
8. Why do Arabs know little about the Holocaust, according to Shipler?
9. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
10. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What's perhaps most compelling about the divide between the Arabs and the Jews is its long, complex history.
Part 1: Why do you think the chasm between the Arabs and the Jews has lasted so long?
Part 2: How can someone stop a belief system which has been in place for centuries? Can they?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to change thinking which has been indoctrinated into a culture?
Essay Topic 2
What's interesting to note is that Shipler points out that not all groups are intolerant of others.
Part 1: Why do you think there is a perception that all religious groups have some sort of intolerance?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to say that all Jews or all Arabs hate the other? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the groups might behave if they realized not everyone was intolerant of them?
Essay Topic 3
The Arab stereotype includes the idea that they are just violent brutes who are also cowardly.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs have gained the stereotypes that they have?
Part 2: Do you agree with this stereotype of the Arabs and how you perceive this group of people? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might be a better way to describe the Arab people which might be more realistic?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)