|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Modern scholarship has debunked the myth that Jews and Arabs are _______________ related.
2. ____________ suffer more overt opposition from their parents than their partners do.
3. Religious opposition to ___________ is fused with the Western theme of scheming to control international banking, politics, and news.
4. "A __________ girl doesn't have to wait for an opportunity to move next door," said one Arab woman.
5. A publication in 1950 said that so many Christians had converted to Islam over the years that ________ blood was an acceptable substitute.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
2. Describe the conditions that Shipler found when he was allowed to go into Ansar.
3. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
4. What did the government pour millions of dollars into, thought they would not support Neve Shalom?
5. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
6. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
7. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
8. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
9. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
10. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arabs often question the myths they have heard about the Jewish people as they are constantly in contact with them.
Part 1: Do you think integration will help to encourage different groups to better understand and tolerate each other? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Arabs are unable to get away from the Jewish people?
Part 3: Do you feel races should all live amongst each other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Muslim Israeli-Arabs are kept out of the draft, but the army is where people go to move up the social and economic ladder, thus they do not have a chance to excel in society.
Part 1: Why do you think military experience is so valuable in society?
Part 2: Do you think that including the Muslim Israeli-Arabs in the draft would be harmful to the army? Why or why not?
Part 3: Since the Muslim Israeli-Arabs are never going to excel in society, do you think they want to help the society at all? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Intermarriage is something that is abhorred in the midst of the tension between the Arabs and the Jews.
Part 1: Why do you think intermarriage is prohibited in the minds of the people in society?
Part 2: What might some of the benefits of intermarriage be to the tensions between the groups of people?
Part 3: Do you think that intermarriage is a bad thing? Why or why not?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)