|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some ____________ oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs since they are exempt from military service.
2. ___________ guards at the camp range from brutal to humane, depending on the individual.
3. Zohar says that if his parents had not remained in Israel, he would have become a ___________ in the refugee camps.
4. Ancient Greeks and modern Europeans both sought to assimilate the ___________.
5. All teachers and government workers are required to receive clearance from the ____________, though mostly Arabs are regularly investigated.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
2. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
3. What are the two dangers being seen in interracial mingling between Arabs and Jews?
4. Describe the conditions that Shipler found when he was allowed to go into Ansar.
5. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
6. After 45 days of imprisonment and torture, what did the young Palestinian swore he had done during that time?
7. Why do some Jews oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs?
8. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
9. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
10. What did the government pour millions of dollars into, thought they would not support Neve Shalom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is said by Rabbi David Hartman that biblical people are extremists. This is a powerful statement for readers.
Part 1: Do you agree with the statement of Rabbi Hartman? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Hartman makes the statement he does?
Part 3: In what ways have you seen religion affect the way the world works together?
Essay Topic 2
What's interesting to note is that Shipler points out that not all groups are intolerant of others.
Part 1: Why do you think there is a perception that all religious groups have some sort of intolerance?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to say that all Jews or all Arabs hate the other? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the groups might behave if they realized not everyone was intolerant of them?
Essay Topic 3
The description of another Holocaust taking place is shocking to many readers, but not to others.
Part 1: Do you believe that other Holocausts are occurring right now? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does the practice of Holocaust-like prison camps help a society?
Part 3: What does it say about society that Holocaust-like camps are still in existence?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)