|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ seems to grip the imaginations of Muslim students, according to Shipler.
2. Modern scholarship has debunked the myth that Jews and Arabs are _______________ related.
3. The man in the relationship portrayed in the radio program ends up entering a _________ and becoming a religious zealot.
4. Shipler continues to find both groups of students hopefully ______________, trying to change their ways of thinking.
5. What allows the young people who have met each other to keep in contact?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
2. Describe the conditions that Shipler found when he was allowed to go into Ansar.
3. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
4. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
5. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
6. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
7. What are the two dangers being seen in interracial mingling between Arabs and Jews?
8. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
9. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
10. What did the government pour millions of dollars into, thought they would not support Neve Shalom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Those who do not live in the Middle East may not know what truly happens in the area unless the media shows them a picture or tells a story.
Part 1: Do you believe that all media sources can be trusted to have an unbiased view of the Middle East? Why or why not?
Part 2: How might someone find an unbiased viewpoint of things which do not go on in their local area?
Part 3: Why do you think some countries enforce blackouts about things which happen in their lands?
Essay Topic 2
Shipler himself questions how his feelings about Arabs might have changed if he were directly involved in an act of violence.
Part 1: Do you think being personally affected by violence would make you hate a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think revenge is ever a good motivator in times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think Shipler considers the idea of revenge as a motivator for him to hate the Arabs? Do you think he might harbor some hesitation?
Essay Topic 3
The two cultures have impacted each other over the decades - with Hebrew owing much of its language to Arabic.
Part 1: Why do you think the two cultures affected each other even in the midst of tensions?
Part 2: Do you think that the intermingling of cultures is a sign that the two can eventually come to peace? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that the two cultures realize they are quite similar? Why or why not?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)