|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Religious opposition to ___________ is fused with the Western theme of scheming to control international banking, politics, and news.
2. ____________ by non-Israeli Arabs sharpened the government's security concerns.
3. Under Muslim control, Jews adapted their _____________ to fit local conditions.
4. What is the name of the infamous publication that President Nasser used?
5. What is the name of the Palestinian girl who found connections with a group of Jewish girls, only to disconnect from them after the sieges of Ramallah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the government pour millions of dollars into, thought they would not support Neve Shalom?
2. Describe the conditions that Shipler found when he was allowed to go into Ansar.
3. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
4. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
5. What are the two dangers being seen in interracial mingling between Arabs and Jews?
6. Why do Arabs know little about the Holocaust, according to Shipler?
7. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
8. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
9. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
10. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wars can create horrific results, but they also produce heroes as well as a chance to defend one's beliefs.
Part 1: Do you think war is the only solution in some situations? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think about the idea of war heroes? Do you believe someone fighting in a war is always a hero? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think you would ever feel called to fight in a war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The description of another Holocaust taking place is shocking to many readers, but not to others.
Part 1: Do you believe that other Holocausts are occurring right now? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does the practice of Holocaust-like prison camps help a society?
Part 3: What does it say about society that Holocaust-like camps are still in existence?
Essay Topic 3
What's interesting to note is that Shipler points out that not all groups are intolerant of others.
Part 1: Why do you think there is a perception that all religious groups have some sort of intolerance?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to say that all Jews or all Arabs hate the other? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the groups might behave if they realized not everyone was intolerant of them?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)