|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The newborn state of __________ in 1948 pledged to uphold the full social and political equality of all its citizens.
2. What do Jewish children respond happened at school on days when soldiers burst into their classroom?
3. Because the tribesmen have no quarrel with the ____________, they are treated kindly, remarkably generously in the opinion of many of the Bedouin.
4. Some ____________ oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs since they are exempt from military service.
5. Another danger of interracial mingling, according to statements in this chapter, is the risk of ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
2. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
3. Why do Arabs know little about the Holocaust, according to Shipler?
4. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
5. What are the two dangers being seen in interracial mingling between Arabs and Jews?
6. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
7. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
8. Describe the conditions that Shipler found when he was allowed to go into Ansar.
9. Why do some Jews oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs?
10. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While the Arabs and the Jews may have many issues with each other, they also seem to affect each other's lives in positive ways.
Part 1: Do you think that Arabs and Jews share commonalities? Why or why not?
Part 2: How have the Jews affected the lives of the Arab people?
Part 3: How have the Arabs affected the lives of the Jewish people?
Essay Topic 2
Intermarriage is something that is abhorred in the midst of the tension between the Arabs and the Jews.
Part 1: Why do you think intermarriage is prohibited in the minds of the people in society?
Part 2: What might some of the benefits of intermarriage be to the tensions between the groups of people?
Part 3: Do you think that intermarriage is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What's interesting to note is that Shipler points out that not all groups are intolerant of others.
Part 1: Why do you think there is a perception that all religious groups have some sort of intolerance?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to say that all Jews or all Arabs hate the other? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the groups might behave if they realized not everyone was intolerant of them?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)