|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler continues to find both groups of students hopefully ______________, trying to change their ways of thinking.
2. Some ____________ oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs since they are exempt from military service.
3. Muslim females are not allowed to have _______________ even in their own faith.
4. Which group was underrepresented at Neve Shalom when Shipler visited in 1984?
5. Israel keeps no statistics on ____________, according to Shipler's findings.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
2. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
3. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
4. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
5. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
6. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
7. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
8. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
9. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
10. After 45 days of imprisonment and torture, what did the young Palestinian swore he had done during that time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When you first read the title of this book, you were probably hit with a few images of each of these groups, whether accurate or not.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs are perceived the way that they are?
Part 2: Why do you think Jews are perceived the way that they are?
Part 3: Why do you think you have certain images which come up in your mind when you hear the group names?
Essay Topic 2
Arabs often question the myths they have heard about the Jewish people as they are constantly in contact with them.
Part 1: Do you think integration will help to encourage different groups to better understand and tolerate each other? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Arabs are unable to get away from the Jewish people?
Part 3: Do you feel races should all live amongst each other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It is said by Rabbi David Hartman that biblical people are extremists. This is a powerful statement for readers.
Part 1: Do you agree with the statement of Rabbi Hartman? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Hartman makes the statement he does?
Part 3: In what ways have you seen religion affect the way the world works together?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)