|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When one of two partners in the marriage converts, the ceremony is said to have taken place between two ____________.
2. A reporter Shipler brought with him to the prison camp was a survivor of ______________.
3. Because the tribesmen have no quarrel with the ____________, they are treated kindly, remarkably generously in the opinion of many of the Bedouin.
4. With the rise of ___________ in the seventh century, an Arab-Jewish symbiosis flowered.
5. Prime Minister Begin says the __________ is intent on a second genocide against the Jewish people.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
2. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
3. Why do Arabs know little about the Holocaust, according to Shipler?
4. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
5. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
6. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
7. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
8. After 45 days of imprisonment and torture, what did the young Palestinian swore he had done during that time?
9. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
10. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What's perhaps most compelling about the divide between the Arabs and the Jews is its long, complex history.
Part 1: Why do you think the chasm between the Arabs and the Jews has lasted so long?
Part 2: How can someone stop a belief system which has been in place for centuries? Can they?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to change thinking which has been indoctrinated into a culture?
Essay Topic 2
Palestinians assume all groups and organizations are filled with informants.
Part 1: Why do the Palestinians feel they have to be suspicious of everyone around them?
Part 2: Do you think the Palestinians' paranoia is well-founded? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about those around you on an everyday basis? Are there spies around you?
Essay Topic 3
Shipler himself questions how his feelings about Arabs might have changed if he were directly involved in an act of violence.
Part 1: Do you think being personally affected by violence would make you hate a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think revenge is ever a good motivator in times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think Shipler considers the idea of revenge as a motivator for him to hate the Arabs? Do you think he might harbor some hesitation?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)