|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Intermarriages are illegal and must be conducted _______________.
2. A teenage Bedouin girl asks for a ride back to the herd of ________ she tends.
3. Ancient Greeks and modern Europeans both sought to assimilate the ___________.
4. The man in the relationship portrayed in the radio program ends up entering a _________ and becoming a religious zealot.
5. A publication in 1950 said that so many Christians had converted to Islam over the years that ________ blood was an acceptable substitute.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
2. What did the government pour millions of dollars into, thought they would not support Neve Shalom?
3. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
4. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
5. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
6. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
7. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
8. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
9. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
10. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Palestinians assume all groups and organizations are filled with informants.
Part 1: Why do the Palestinians feel they have to be suspicious of everyone around them?
Part 2: Do you think the Palestinians' paranoia is well-founded? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about those around you on an everyday basis? Are there spies around you?
Essay Topic 2
A girl tells Shipler that she would like to learn to read, but that she is too old for coeducational schooling.
Part 1: Why do you think girls are only allowed to be in school up to a certain point?
Part 2: How does a society benefit from having a strong learning system?
Part 3: What might a women do if she has no education to use in her life? What are her options?
Essay Topic 3
It is said by Rabbi David Hartman that biblical people are extremists. This is a powerful statement for readers.
Part 1: Do you agree with the statement of Rabbi Hartman? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Hartman makes the statement he does?
Part 3: In what ways have you seen religion affect the way the world works together?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)