|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man in the relationship portrayed in the radio program ends up entering a _________ and becoming a religious zealot.
2. The small fires which are lit help to ________ and to delimit the vast expanses of land.
3. Where do the women on the radio program and her new partner meet during competing demonstrations?
4. Jews were rarely oppressed or exterminated by Muslims as they were by _____________.
5. Religious opposition to ___________ is fused with the Western theme of scheming to control international banking, politics, and news.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
2. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
3. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
4. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
5. Why do Arabs know little about the Holocaust, according to Shipler?
6. After 45 days of imprisonment and torture, what did the young Palestinian swore he had done during that time?
7. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
8. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
9. What did the government pour millions of dollars into, thought they would not support Neve Shalom?
10. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arabs often question the myths they have heard about the Jewish people as they are constantly in contact with them.
Part 1: Do you think integration will help to encourage different groups to better understand and tolerate each other? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Arabs are unable to get away from the Jewish people?
Part 3: Do you feel races should all live amongst each other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A girl tells Shipler that she would like to learn to read, but that she is too old for coeducational schooling.
Part 1: Why do you think girls are only allowed to be in school up to a certain point?
Part 2: How does a society benefit from having a strong learning system?
Part 3: What might a women do if she has no education to use in her life? What are her options?
Essay Topic 3
A boy who did not agree with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school was called a traitor.
Part 1: Why do you think this Jewish boy was labeled a traitor?
Part 2: How else might the group have responded to the statement of the boy?
Part 3: Do you think the Jewish boy in today's world and in this classroom might face the same feedback? Why or why not?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)