|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some ____________ oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs since they are exempt from military service.
2. Because the tribesmen have no quarrel with the ____________, they are treated kindly, remarkably generously in the opinion of many of the Bedouin.
3. ___________ seems to grip the imaginations of Muslim students, according to Shipler.
4. Prime Minister Begin says the __________ is intent on a second genocide against the Jewish people.
5. It's interesting to note that both Arabs and Jews are actually ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. After 45 days of imprisonment and torture, what did the young Palestinian swore he had done during that time?
2. Why are there no statistics on the intermarriages between Arabs and Jews?
3. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
4. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
5. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
6. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
7. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
8. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
9. Describe the conditions that Shipler found when he was allowed to go into Ansar.
10. What did the government pour millions of dollars into, thought they would not support Neve Shalom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The overall goal of the book seems to be to discuss whether peace is possible in an area with such a long history of war.
Part 1: Why do you think peace is still the goal of mankind?
Part 2: Do you think finding world peace is something that is possible? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the world would change if we were able to create world peace?
Essay Topic 2
What's perhaps most compelling about the divide between the Arabs and the Jews is its long, complex history.
Part 1: Why do you think the chasm between the Arabs and the Jews has lasted so long?
Part 2: How can someone stop a belief system which has been in place for centuries? Can they?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to change thinking which has been indoctrinated into a culture?
Essay Topic 3
A boy who did not agree with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school was called a traitor.
Part 1: Why do you think this Jewish boy was labeled a traitor?
Part 2: How else might the group have responded to the statement of the boy?
Part 3: Do you think the Jewish boy in today's world and in this classroom might face the same feedback? Why or why not?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)