|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another danger of interracial mingling, according to statements in this chapter, is the risk of ________.
2. On the first day, the students are told to do nothing but pass each other and _________________.
3. What is the name of the infamous publication that President Nasser used?
4. A reporter Shipler brought with him to the prison camp was a survivor of ______________.
5. What is the name of the Palestinian girl who found connections with a group of Jewish girls, only to disconnect from them after the sieges of Ramallah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two dangers being seen in interracial mingling between Arabs and Jews?
2. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
3. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
4. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
5. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
6. Describe the conditions that Shipler found when he was allowed to go into Ansar.
7. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
8. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
9. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
10. What did the government pour millions of dollars into, thought they would not support Neve Shalom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Children are taught from a young age to hate those who are not like them, with school lessons even talking about who to fear.
Part 1: Do you think it's right to teach children to fear a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think lessons about other races are necessary in schools? Why or why not?
Part 3: Are there ways to teach children about other races in an unbiased fashion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A boy who did not agree with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school was called a traitor.
Part 1: Why do you think this Jewish boy was labeled a traitor?
Part 2: How else might the group have responded to the statement of the boy?
Part 3: Do you think the Jewish boy in today's world and in this classroom might face the same feedback? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Wars can create horrific results, but they also produce heroes as well as a chance to defend one's beliefs.
Part 1: Do you think war is the only solution in some situations? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think about the idea of war heroes? Do you believe someone fighting in a war is always a hero? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think you would ever feel called to fight in a war? Why or why not?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)