|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler points out that few Arabs know anything about ___________ as it is not covered well, if at all, in school.
2. Which of these answers is the name for the organization which handles internal police matters?
3. According to Shipler, during this time, who ranked below the national average in petty crime?
4. All teachers and government workers are required to receive clearance from the ____________, though mostly Arabs are regularly investigated.
5. When one of two partners in the marriage converts, the ceremony is said to have taken place between two ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
2. What are the two dangers being seen in interracial mingling between Arabs and Jews?
3. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
4. After 45 days of imprisonment and torture, what did the young Palestinian swore he had done during that time?
5. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
6. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
7. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
8. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
9. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
10. Why do some Jews oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Palestinians assume all groups and organizations are filled with informants.
Part 1: Why do the Palestinians feel they have to be suspicious of everyone around them?
Part 2: Do you think the Palestinians' paranoia is well-founded? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about those around you on an everyday basis? Are there spies around you?
Essay Topic 2
Arabs often question the myths they have heard about the Jewish people as they are constantly in contact with them.
Part 1: Do you think integration will help to encourage different groups to better understand and tolerate each other? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Arabs are unable to get away from the Jewish people?
Part 3: Do you feel races should all live amongst each other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What's perhaps most compelling about the divide between the Arabs and the Jews is its long, complex history.
Part 1: Why do you think the chasm between the Arabs and the Jews has lasted so long?
Part 2: How can someone stop a belief system which has been in place for centuries? Can they?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to change thinking which has been indoctrinated into a culture?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)