|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Israel keeps no statistics on ____________, according to Shipler's findings.
2. Because the tribesmen have no quarrel with the ____________, they are treated kindly, remarkably generously in the opinion of many of the Bedouin.
3. Shipler continues to find both groups of students hopefully ______________, trying to change their ways of thinking.
4. A teenage Bedouin girl asks for a ride back to the herd of ________ she tends.
5. Which of these answers is the name for Israel's main overseas intelligence agency?
Essay Topic 1
Shipler himself questions how his feelings about Arabs might have changed if he were directly involved in an act of violence.
Part 1: Do you think being personally affected by violence would make you hate a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think revenge is ever a good motivator in times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think Shipler considers the idea of revenge as a motivator for him to hate the Arabs? Do you think he might harbor some hesitation?
Essay Topic 2
Wars can create horrific results, but they also produce heroes as well as a chance to defend one's beliefs.
Part 1: Do you think war is the only solution in some situations? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think about the idea of war heroes? Do you believe someone fighting in a war is always a hero? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think you would ever feel called to fight in a war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Those who do not live in the Middle East may not know what truly happens in the area unless the media shows them a picture or tells a story.
Part 1: Do you believe that all media sources can be trusted to have an unbiased view of the Middle East? Why or why not?
Part 2: How might someone find an unbiased viewpoint of things which do not go on in their local area?
Part 3: Why do you think some countries enforce blackouts about things which happen in their lands?
This section contains 1,655 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)