|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these answers is the name for Israel's main overseas intelligence agency?
2. The newborn state of __________ in 1948 pledged to uphold the full social and political equality of all its citizens.
3. With the rise of ___________ in the seventh century, an Arab-Jewish symbiosis flowered.
4. Prime Minister Begin says the __________ is intent on a second genocide against the Jewish people.
5. Jews were rarely oppressed or exterminated by Muslims as they were by _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Arabs know little about the Holocaust, according to Shipler?
2. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
3. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
4. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
5. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
6. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
7. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
8. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
9. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
10. Why do some Jews oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is said by Rabbi David Hartman that biblical people are extremists. This is a powerful statement for readers.
Part 1: Do you agree with the statement of Rabbi Hartman? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Hartman makes the statement he does?
Part 3: In what ways have you seen religion affect the way the world works together?
Essay Topic 2
A girl tells Shipler that she would like to learn to read, but that she is too old for coeducational schooling.
Part 1: Why do you think girls are only allowed to be in school up to a certain point?
Part 2: How does a society benefit from having a strong learning system?
Part 3: What might a women do if she has no education to use in her life? What are her options?
Essay Topic 3
The description of another Holocaust taking place is shocking to many readers, but not to others.
Part 1: Do you believe that other Holocausts are occurring right now? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does the practice of Holocaust-like prison camps help a society?
Part 3: What does it say about society that Holocaust-like camps are still in existence?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)