|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another danger of interracial mingling, according to statements in this chapter, is the risk of ________.
2. Israel keeps no statistics on ____________, according to Shipler's findings.
3. "A __________ girl doesn't have to wait for an opportunity to move next door," said one Arab woman.
4. What is the name of the Palestinian girl who found connections with a group of Jewish girls, only to disconnect from them after the sieges of Ramallah?
5. A publication in 1950 said that so many Christians had converted to Islam over the years that ________ blood was an acceptable substitute.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
2. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
3. What did the government pour millions of dollars into, thought they would not support Neve Shalom?
4. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
5. Describe the conditions that Shipler found when he was allowed to go into Ansar.
6. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
7. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
8. Why do some Jews oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs?
9. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
10. Why do Arabs know little about the Holocaust, according to Shipler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Palestinians assume all groups and organizations are filled with informants.
Part 1: Why do the Palestinians feel they have to be suspicious of everyone around them?
Part 2: Do you think the Palestinians' paranoia is well-founded? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about those around you on an everyday basis? Are there spies around you?
Essay Topic 2
While the Arabs and the Jews may have many issues with each other, they also seem to affect each other's lives in positive ways.
Part 1: Do you think that Arabs and Jews share commonalities? Why or why not?
Part 2: How have the Jews affected the lives of the Arab people?
Part 3: How have the Arabs affected the lives of the Jewish people?
Essay Topic 3
The overall goal of the book seems to be to discuss whether peace is possible in an area with such a long history of war.
Part 1: Why do you think peace is still the goal of mankind?
Part 2: Do you think finding world peace is something that is possible? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the world would change if we were able to create world peace?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)