|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jewish children respond happened at school on days when soldiers burst into their classroom?
2. Camel caravans used to take 18 days to reach Cairo, so they would only occur __________ times a year.
3. The Proclamation of Independence called for ________ inhabitants to preserve the peace and to build the new state as equals.
4. Shipler points out that few Arabs know anything about ___________ as it is not covered well, if at all, in school.
5. ____________ suffer more overt opposition from their parents than their partners do.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
2. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
3. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
4. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
5. Describe the conditions that Shipler found when he was allowed to go into Ansar.
6. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
7. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
8. What did the government pour millions of dollars into, thought they would not support Neve Shalom?
9. After 45 days of imprisonment and torture, what did the young Palestinian swore he had done during that time?
10. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two cultures have impacted each other over the decades - with Hebrew owing much of its language to Arabic.
Part 1: Why do you think the two cultures affected each other even in the midst of tensions?
Part 2: Do you think that the intermingling of cultures is a sign that the two can eventually come to peace? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that the two cultures realize they are quite similar? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When you first read the title of this book, you were probably hit with a few images of each of these groups, whether accurate or not.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs are perceived the way that they are?
Part 2: Why do you think Jews are perceived the way that they are?
Part 3: Why do you think you have certain images which come up in your mind when you hear the group names?
Essay Topic 3
What's perhaps most compelling about the divide between the Arabs and the Jews is its long, complex history.
Part 1: Why do you think the chasm between the Arabs and the Jews has lasted so long?
Part 2: How can someone stop a belief system which has been in place for centuries? Can they?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to change thinking which has been indoctrinated into a culture?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)