|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Small __________ grants were what kept Neve Shalom in business over the years.
2. Palestinians assume that their schools, jobs, villages, and refugee camps are filled with _____________.
3. A witty Palestinian claimed he was a victim of ___________ when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry.
4. Religious opposition to ___________ is fused with the Western theme of scheming to control international banking, politics, and news.
5. One of the dangers of interracial mingling, according to statements made in this chapter, is the obscenity of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
2. Describe the conditions that Shipler found when he was allowed to go into Ansar.
3. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
4. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
5. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
6. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
7. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
8. What are the two dangers being seen in interracial mingling between Arabs and Jews?
9. Why do Arabs know little about the Holocaust, according to Shipler?
10. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Those who do not live in the Middle East may not know what truly happens in the area unless the media shows them a picture or tells a story.
Part 1: Do you believe that all media sources can be trusted to have an unbiased view of the Middle East? Why or why not?
Part 2: How might someone find an unbiased viewpoint of things which do not go on in their local area?
Part 3: Why do you think some countries enforce blackouts about things which happen in their lands?
Essay Topic 2
The two cultures have impacted each other over the decades - with Hebrew owing much of its language to Arabic.
Part 1: Why do you think the two cultures affected each other even in the midst of tensions?
Part 2: Do you think that the intermingling of cultures is a sign that the two can eventually come to peace? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that the two cultures realize they are quite similar? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What's interesting to note is that Shipler points out that not all groups are intolerant of others.
Part 1: Why do you think there is a perception that all religious groups have some sort of intolerance?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to say that all Jews or all Arabs hate the other? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the groups might behave if they realized not everyone was intolerant of them?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)