|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these answers is the name for Israel's main overseas intelligence agency?
2. Shipler says that a powerful fear of the alleged sexual __________ of Arab men is intermixed with all of the other stereotypes Jews hold.
3. The Proclamation of Independence called for ________ inhabitants to preserve the peace and to build the new state as equals.
4. The program allows teens to break down ___________ and confront stereotypes.
5. Under Muslim control, Jews adapted their _____________ to fit local conditions.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
2. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
3. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
4. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
5. After 45 days of imprisonment and torture, what did the young Palestinian swore he had done during that time?
6. Why do Arabs know little about the Holocaust, according to Shipler?
7. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
8. Why are there no statistics on the intermarriages between Arabs and Jews?
9. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
10. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While the Arabs and the Jews may have many issues with each other, they also seem to affect each other's lives in positive ways.
Part 1: Do you think that Arabs and Jews share commonalities? Why or why not?
Part 2: How have the Jews affected the lives of the Arab people?
Part 3: How have the Arabs affected the lives of the Jewish people?
Essay Topic 2
What's perhaps most compelling about the divide between the Arabs and the Jews is its long, complex history.
Part 1: Why do you think the chasm between the Arabs and the Jews has lasted so long?
Part 2: How can someone stop a belief system which has been in place for centuries? Can they?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to change thinking which has been indoctrinated into a culture?
Essay Topic 3
The description of another Holocaust taking place is shocking to many readers, but not to others.
Part 1: Do you believe that other Holocausts are occurring right now? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does the practice of Holocaust-like prison camps help a society?
Part 3: What does it say about society that Holocaust-like camps are still in existence?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)