|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group was underrepresented at Neve Shalom when Shipler visited in 1984?
2. Intermarriages are illegal and must be conducted _______________.
3. Which of these answers is the name for the organization which handles internal police matters?
4. One of the dangers of interracial mingling, according to statements made in this chapter, is the obscenity of ___________.
5. With the rise of ___________ in the seventh century, an Arab-Jewish symbiosis flowered.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
2. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
3. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
4. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
5. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
6. After 45 days of imprisonment and torture, what did the young Palestinian swore he had done during that time?
7. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
8. What are the two dangers being seen in interracial mingling between Arabs and Jews?
9. Why do Arabs know little about the Holocaust, according to Shipler?
10. Why do some Jews oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Children are taught from a young age to hate those who are not like them, with school lessons even talking about who to fear.
Part 1: Do you think it's right to teach children to fear a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think lessons about other races are necessary in schools? Why or why not?
Part 3: Are there ways to teach children about other races in an unbiased fashion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Shipler himself questions how his feelings about Arabs might have changed if he were directly involved in an act of violence.
Part 1: Do you think being personally affected by violence would make you hate a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think revenge is ever a good motivator in times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think Shipler considers the idea of revenge as a motivator for him to hate the Arabs? Do you think he might harbor some hesitation?
Essay Topic 3
Wars can create horrific results, but they also produce heroes as well as a chance to defend one's beliefs.
Part 1: Do you think war is the only solution in some situations? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think about the idea of war heroes? Do you believe someone fighting in a war is always a hero? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think you would ever feel called to fight in a war? Why or why not?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)