|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A witty Palestinian claimed he was a victim of ___________ when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry.
2. The man in the relationship portrayed in the radio program ends up entering a _________ and becoming a religious zealot.
3. A publication in 1950 said that so many Christians had converted to Islam over the years that ________ blood was an acceptable substitute.
4. The newborn state of __________ in 1948 pledged to uphold the full social and political equality of all its citizens.
5. Because the tribesmen have no quarrel with the ____________, they are treated kindly, remarkably generously in the opinion of many of the Bedouin.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conditions that Shipler found when he was allowed to go into Ansar.
2. Why are there no statistics on the intermarriages between Arabs and Jews?
3. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
4. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
5. After 45 days of imprisonment and torture, what did the young Palestinian swore he had done during that time?
6. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
7. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
8. What are the two dangers being seen in interracial mingling between Arabs and Jews?
9. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
10. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When you first read the title of this book, you were probably hit with a few images of each of these groups, whether accurate or not.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs are perceived the way that they are?
Part 2: Why do you think Jews are perceived the way that they are?
Part 3: Why do you think you have certain images which come up in your mind when you hear the group names?
Essay Topic 2
The Arabs were expelled from their lands in 1948 and since then have wanted to return home, causing conflict and hard feelings.
Part 1: Do you think it was right to banish the Arabs from their lands in the first place? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Arabs have a right to go back to their homeland? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the expelled people must feel in a land which is not their own?
Essay Topic 3
Muslim Israeli-Arabs are kept out of the draft, but the army is where people go to move up the social and economic ladder, thus they do not have a chance to excel in society.
Part 1: Why do you think military experience is so valuable in society?
Part 2: Do you think that including the Muslim Israeli-Arabs in the draft would be harmful to the army? Why or why not?
Part 3: Since the Muslim Israeli-Arabs are never going to excel in society, do you think they want to help the society at all? Why or why not?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)