|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Small __________ grants were what kept Neve Shalom in business over the years.
2. A teenage Bedouin girl asks for a ride back to the herd of ________ she tends.
3. Sexual experimentation with ____________ is attractive to Muslim males because of how their beliefs are structured.
4. By _________, however, students are feeling angry and personally betrayed.
5. Shipler describes the prison camp as a squalid _______, stinking of sewage and garbage.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Arabs know little about the Holocaust, according to Shipler?
2. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
3. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
4. What are the two dangers being seen in interracial mingling between Arabs and Jews?
5. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
6. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
7. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
8. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
9. Why are there no statistics on the intermarriages between Arabs and Jews?
10. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wars can create horrific results, but they also produce heroes as well as a chance to defend one's beliefs.
Part 1: Do you think war is the only solution in some situations? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think about the idea of war heroes? Do you believe someone fighting in a war is always a hero? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think you would ever feel called to fight in a war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Arabs often question the myths they have heard about the Jewish people as they are constantly in contact with them.
Part 1: Do you think integration will help to encourage different groups to better understand and tolerate each other? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Arabs are unable to get away from the Jewish people?
Part 3: Do you feel races should all live amongst each other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Arab stereotype includes the idea that they are just violent brutes who are also cowardly.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs have gained the stereotypes that they have?
Part 2: Do you agree with this stereotype of the Arabs and how you perceive this group of people? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might be a better way to describe the Arab people which might be more realistic?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)