|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the dangers of interracial mingling, according to statements made in this chapter, is the obscenity of ___________.
2. What is the name of the infamous publication that President Nasser used?
3. Israel keeps no statistics on ____________, according to Shipler's findings.
4. By _________, however, students are feeling angry and personally betrayed.
5. The blood _______ which holds that Jews mix the blood of innocent Christian children into the dough for the Passover matzo.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the government pour millions of dollars into, thought they would not support Neve Shalom?
2. What are the two dangers being seen in interracial mingling between Arabs and Jews?
3. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
4. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
5. Why do Arabs know little about the Holocaust, according to Shipler?
6. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
7. Why do some Jews oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs?
8. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
9. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
10. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What's interesting to note is that Shipler points out that not all groups are intolerant of others.
Part 1: Why do you think there is a perception that all religious groups have some sort of intolerance?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to say that all Jews or all Arabs hate the other? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the groups might behave if they realized not everyone was intolerant of them?
Essay Topic 2
Palestinians assume all groups and organizations are filled with informants.
Part 1: Why do the Palestinians feel they have to be suspicious of everyone around them?
Part 2: Do you think the Palestinians' paranoia is well-founded? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about those around you on an everyday basis? Are there spies around you?
Essay Topic 3
The Arabs were expelled from their lands in 1948 and since then have wanted to return home, causing conflict and hard feelings.
Part 1: Do you think it was right to banish the Arabs from their lands in the first place? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Arabs have a right to go back to their homeland? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the expelled people must feel in a land which is not their own?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)