|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these answers is the name for the organization which handles internal police matters?
2. All teachers and government workers are required to receive clearance from the ____________, though mostly Arabs are regularly investigated.
3. ___________ guards at the camp range from brutal to humane, depending on the individual.
4. ___________ seems to grip the imaginations of Muslim students, according to Shipler.
5. "A __________ girl doesn't have to wait for an opportunity to move next door," said one Arab woman.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
2. Why do some Jews oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs?
3. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
4. What are the two dangers being seen in interracial mingling between Arabs and Jews?
5. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
6. After 45 days of imprisonment and torture, what did the young Palestinian swore he had done during that time?
7. Why do Arabs know little about the Holocaust, according to Shipler?
8. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
9. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
10. Why are there no statistics on the intermarriages between Arabs and Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A girl tells Shipler that she would like to learn to read, but that she is too old for coeducational schooling.
Part 1: Why do you think girls are only allowed to be in school up to a certain point?
Part 2: How does a society benefit from having a strong learning system?
Part 3: What might a women do if she has no education to use in her life? What are her options?
Essay Topic 2
What's interesting to note is that Shipler points out that not all groups are intolerant of others.
Part 1: Why do you think there is a perception that all religious groups have some sort of intolerance?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to say that all Jews or all Arabs hate the other? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the groups might behave if they realized not everyone was intolerant of them?
Essay Topic 3
The two cultures have impacted each other over the decades - with Hebrew owing much of its language to Arabic.
Part 1: Why do you think the two cultures affected each other even in the midst of tensions?
Part 2: Do you think that the intermingling of cultures is a sign that the two can eventually come to peace? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that the two cultures realize they are quite similar? Why or why not?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)