|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Laura Franklin notes that it's true that __________ are dirty and sweaty at work, but that their homes are immaculate.
2. There is fear, but also ________ in the way that Israeli Jews view the Arab.
3. The colonel tells the woman that he agrees that the Palestinians deserve self - ____________.
4. Who are considered to be fearsome, violent, immensely strong, cruel and cowardly?
5. A Jewish lawyer tells Shipler that ___________ do not work on Arabs since they show no psychological signs of mendacity.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
2. What does Rabbi Hartman have to say about religion at the start of this chapter?
3. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
4. Where was Shipler wandering in the streets at the start of this book and its narrative?
5. What happens because there is too much bitterness among Arabs and Jews, according to Shipler?
6. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
7. What is the recurring theme in the examples that Shipler provides in terms of how the Arabs are portrayed in the media?
8. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
9. What happens when the Israelis grow too grand to perform manual labor in their society?
10. What are some of the ways in which Jews typically stereotype Arabs as noted in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shipler himself questions how his feelings about Arabs might have changed if he were directly involved in an act of violence.
Part 1: Do you think being personally affected by violence would make you hate a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think revenge is ever a good motivator in times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think Shipler considers the idea of revenge as a motivator for him to hate the Arabs? Do you think he might harbor some hesitation?
Essay Topic 2
Intermarriage is something that is abhorred in the midst of the tension between the Arabs and the Jews.
Part 1: Why do you think intermarriage is prohibited in the minds of the people in society?
Part 2: What might some of the benefits of intermarriage be to the tensions between the groups of people?
Part 3: Do you think that intermarriage is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When you first read the title of this book, you were probably hit with a few images of each of these groups, whether accurate or not.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs are perceived the way that they are?
Part 2: Why do you think Jews are perceived the way that they are?
Part 3: Why do you think you have certain images which come up in your mind when you hear the group names?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)