|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is too much bitterness between the Arabs and the Jews for them to generate ________ about themselves or each other.
2. Freij does not hate the ____________, just what they do: introduce foreign culture which contaminates the Arabs' ancient culture.
3. Acts of violence lead to ___________, worst case assumptions and calls for retribution.
4. Shipler claims that at the time he and his family lived in Jerusalem, it was safer than _____________.
5. Israelis were disappointed that the Arab TV show wasn't broadcast in the West so that the viewers could see how _______ the Arabs are.
Short Essay Questions
1. Unless a two state solution can be found, what will the population of Arabs to Jews be in the coming years?
2. Why does the Arab side of the argument lack a spokesperson for reason?
3. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
4. Why does the virulent bigotry in books, fiction and journalism not have much affect on the Arabs?
5. How are the Arab youth being affected by the actions of the Israeli police?
6. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
7. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
8. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
9. The college age Palestinian who was taken prisoner by the Israeli patrol found out what during his imprisonment?
10. What is the recurring theme in the examples that Shipler provides in terms of how the Arabs are portrayed in the media?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While the Arabs and the Jews may have many issues with each other, they also seem to affect each other's lives in positive ways.
Part 1: Do you think that Arabs and Jews share commonalities? Why or why not?
Part 2: How have the Jews affected the lives of the Arab people?
Part 3: How have the Arabs affected the lives of the Jewish people?
Essay Topic 2
Arabs often question the myths they have heard about the Jewish people as they are constantly in contact with them.
Part 1: Do you think integration will help to encourage different groups to better understand and tolerate each other? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Arabs are unable to get away from the Jewish people?
Part 3: Do you feel races should all live amongst each other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The two cultures have impacted each other over the decades - with Hebrew owing much of its language to Arabic.
Part 1: Why do you think the two cultures affected each other even in the midst of tensions?
Part 2: Do you think that the intermingling of cultures is a sign that the two can eventually come to peace? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that the two cultures realize they are quite similar? Why or why not?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)