|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through contact with individual __________, Arabs often soften their stance and realize the danger of their stereotyping.
2. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
3. Rarely, Shipler notes, does terrorism become an effective tool as it quickly becomes _______________.
4. The college age Palestinian who was caught by Israeli patrol feared ___________, but experienced something different.
5. The 2002 _____________ shows that the area in the Middle East is growing steadily more complex and explosive.
Short Essay Questions
1. The college age Palestinian who was taken prisoner by the Israeli patrol found out what during his imprisonment?
2. What is the official Israeli myth which is dissected in the book which Shipler has written?
3. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
4. What do some scholars with whom Shipler speaks say in regards to most Muslims' understanding of their own book?
5. Why does the Arab side of the argument lack a spokesperson for reason?
6. Unless a two state solution can be found, what will the population of Arabs to Jews be in the coming years?
7. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
8. What do the Palestinians NOT do, even though many Jews say that they do?
9. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
10. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Intermarriage is something that is abhorred in the midst of the tension between the Arabs and the Jews.
Part 1: Why do you think intermarriage is prohibited in the minds of the people in society?
Part 2: What might some of the benefits of intermarriage be to the tensions between the groups of people?
Part 3: Do you think that intermarriage is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While the Arabs and the Jews may have many issues with each other, they also seem to affect each other's lives in positive ways.
Part 1: Do you think that Arabs and Jews share commonalities? Why or why not?
Part 2: How have the Jews affected the lives of the Arab people?
Part 3: How have the Arabs affected the lives of the Jewish people?
Essay Topic 3
Palestinians assume all groups and organizations are filled with informants.
Part 1: Why do the Palestinians feel they have to be suspicious of everyone around them?
Part 2: Do you think the Palestinians' paranoia is well-founded? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about those around you on an everyday basis? Are there spies around you?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)