|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Lebanese women opposes a _________________ between Israel and Lebanon because this would result in an expansion of the Jewish state.
2. Shipler has an extended analysis of ___________ as practiced by both the Arabs and the Jews.
3. A 13-year-old __________ boy is upset by the anti-Arab bigotry and is called a traitor, a PLO supporter and a communist.
4. Why wasn't King Hussein able to continue his vision for peace and stability in the area?
5. _____________ is a nationalistic movement, whose political agenda is in continuity with the lamentation of the Jews exiled to Bablyon.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
2. What did politicians do when a journalist documents forced expulsions from many parts of the country?
3. What is the recurring theme in the examples that Shipler provides in terms of how the Arabs are portrayed in the media?
4. What do some scholars with whom Shipler speaks say in regards to most Muslims' understanding of their own book?
5. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
6. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
7. What do the Palestinians NOT do, even though many Jews say that they do?
8. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
9. Unless a two state solution can be found, what will the population of Arabs to Jews be in the coming years?
10. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Arabs were expelled from their lands in 1948 and since then have wanted to return home, causing conflict and hard feelings.
Part 1: Do you think it was right to banish the Arabs from their lands in the first place? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Arabs have a right to go back to their homeland? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the expelled people must feel in a land which is not their own?
Essay Topic 2
Palestinians assume all groups and organizations are filled with informants.
Part 1: Why do the Palestinians feel they have to be suspicious of everyone around them?
Part 2: Do you think the Palestinians' paranoia is well-founded? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about those around you on an everyday basis? Are there spies around you?
Essay Topic 3
Intermarriage is something that is abhorred in the midst of the tension between the Arabs and the Jews.
Part 1: Why do you think intermarriage is prohibited in the minds of the people in society?
Part 2: What might some of the benefits of intermarriage be to the tensions between the groups of people?
Part 3: Do you think that intermarriage is a bad thing? Why or why not?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)