|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is dangerously high for the Arab population, causing concern for the Jewish inhabitants?
2. The Lebanese women opposes a _________________ between Israel and Lebanon because this would result in an expansion of the Jewish state.
3. Both sides, it seems to Shipler, have many ________, making a discussion of them all the more difficult.
4. Critics see no need to meet the enemy personally as they already know what ___________ are like.
5. Shipler concludes that only one side celebrates the liberation of _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
2. What do smugglers make sure that young Palestinians get in relation to the Jews?
3. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
4. What happens when the Israelis grow too grand to perform manual labor in their society?
5. Where is the Israelis' rejection of Palestinianism shown, according to Shipler?
6. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
7. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
8. What is a 13-year-old Jewish boy called when he says that he is upset with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school?
9. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
10. What does Freij tell Shipler about his feelings of the Jews in regards to culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A girl tells Shipler that she would like to learn to read, but that she is too old for coeducational schooling.
Part 1: Why do you think girls are only allowed to be in school up to a certain point?
Part 2: How does a society benefit from having a strong learning system?
Part 3: What might a women do if she has no education to use in her life? What are her options?
Essay Topic 2
It is said by Rabbi David Hartman that biblical people are extremists. This is a powerful statement for readers.
Part 1: Do you agree with the statement of Rabbi Hartman? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Hartman makes the statement he does?
Part 3: In what ways have you seen religion affect the way the world works together?
Essay Topic 3
What's interesting to note is that Shipler points out that not all groups are intolerant of others.
Part 1: Why do you think there is a perception that all religious groups have some sort of intolerance?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to say that all Jews or all Arabs hate the other? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the groups might behave if they realized not everyone was intolerant of them?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)