|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Lebanese woman opposed her father's speech, thanking the ___________ for liberating them from the PLO.
2. Opinion polls in 2002 fluctuated around the 50% mark among Israelis over whether they could accept an independent ___________ state next door.
3. __________ abounds on both sides, established by decades of war and terror, and individuals vary in how bigoted or tolerant they are.
4. Why wasn't King Hussein able to continue his vision for peace and stability in the area?
5. Freij does not hate the ____________, just what they do: introduce foreign culture which contaminates the Arabs' ancient culture.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Shipler wandering in the streets at the start of this book and its narrative?
2. What is the first goal of Shipler as he strives to create a main discussion for this book?
3. What is the recurring theme in the examples that Shipler provides in terms of how the Arabs are portrayed in the media?
4. What did politicians do when a journalist documents forced expulsions from many parts of the country?
5. What happens when the Israelis grow too grand to perform manual labor in their society?
6. Shipler discusses the naivety of what official Israeli strategy as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations?
7. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
8. What happens when some of the people retreat to dogmatism in their thinking about the enemy?
9. What leads to paranoia about what might be said by Arabs on the television or on the radio?
10. What does Freij tell Shipler about his feelings of the Jews in regards to culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The description of another Holocaust taking place is shocking to many readers, but not to others.
Part 1: Do you believe that other Holocausts are occurring right now? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does the practice of Holocaust-like prison camps help a society?
Part 3: What does it say about society that Holocaust-like camps are still in existence?
Essay Topic 2
It is said by Rabbi David Hartman that biblical people are extremists. This is a powerful statement for readers.
Part 1: Do you agree with the statement of Rabbi Hartman? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Hartman makes the statement he does?
Part 3: In what ways have you seen religion affect the way the world works together?
Essay Topic 3
Palestinians assume all groups and organizations are filled with informants.
Part 1: Why do the Palestinians feel they have to be suspicious of everyone around them?
Part 2: Do you think the Palestinians' paranoia is well-founded? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about those around you on an everyday basis? Are there spies around you?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)