Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Others charge that the Jews are agents of _______________, whether capitalistic or communist, and will distance Arabs from religious life.
2. The Lebanese women opposes a _________________ between Israel and Lebanon because this would result in an expansion of the Jewish state.
3. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
4. A 1984 commuter bus hijacking occurred, but the Israeli military censors imposed a complete _____________.
5. When the enemy has no _______________, it makes the hatred and bigotry easier.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
2. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
3. What happens as a result of rumors being spread of a female accomplice in the hostage situation at the start of the chapter?
4. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
5. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
6. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
7. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
8. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
9. How are the Arab youth being affected by the actions of the Israeli police?
10. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
Essay Topic 1
Children are taught from a young age to hate those who are not like them, with school lessons even talking about who to fear.
Part 1: Do you think it's right to teach children to fear a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think lessons about other races are necessary in schools? Why or why not?
Part 3: Are there ways to teach children about other races in an unbiased fashion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Arab stereotype includes the idea that they are just violent brutes who are also cowardly.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs have gained the stereotypes that they have?
Part 2: Do you agree with this stereotype of the Arabs and how you perceive this group of people? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might be a better way to describe the Arab people which might be more realistic?
Essay Topic 3
The Arabs were expelled from their lands in 1948 and since then have wanted to return home, causing conflict and hard feelings.
Part 1: Do you think it was right to banish the Arabs from their lands in the first place? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Arabs have a right to go back to their homeland? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the expelled people must feel in a land which is not their own?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)