|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
2. The colonel tells the woman that he agrees that the Palestinians deserve self - ____________.
3. Shipler explains that Middle Easterners have always felt the need to pigeonhole new acquaintances by their __________.
4. Shipler does admit to finding much _______________ among the Arabs he visits, but little of the systematic vindictiveness described in the previous chapter.
5. Children taught only caution in dealing with __________ more often grow to fear and hate them.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the contradiction in opinion that Jews have about Arabs and their work ethic?
2. Why do some Jews oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs?
3. What is the second goal of Shipler for this book and for the understanding of the reader?
4. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
5. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
6. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
7. What are the two dangers being seen in interracial mingling between Arabs and Jews?
8. Why are there no statistics on the intermarriages between Arabs and Jews?
9. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
10. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
Essay Topic 1
While the Arabs and the Jews may have many issues with each other, they also seem to affect each other's lives in positive ways.
Part 1: Do you think that Arabs and Jews share commonalities? Why or why not?
Part 2: How have the Jews affected the lives of the Arab people?
Part 3: How have the Arabs affected the lives of the Jewish people?
Essay Topic 2
Palestinians assume all groups and organizations are filled with informants.
Part 1: Why do the Palestinians feel they have to be suspicious of everyone around them?
Part 2: Do you think the Palestinians' paranoia is well-founded? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about those around you on an everyday basis? Are there spies around you?
Essay Topic 3
The Arab stereotype includes the idea that they are just violent brutes who are also cowardly.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs have gained the stereotypes that they have?
Part 2: Do you agree with this stereotype of the Arabs and how you perceive this group of people? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might be a better way to describe the Arab people which might be more realistic?
This section contains 1,991 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)