|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rabbi David Hartman is a ___________ philosopher who states that religion is naturally reactionary.
2. Shipler claims that at the time he and his family lived in Jerusalem, it was safer than _____________.
3. There is fear, but also ________ in the way that Israeli Jews view the Arab.
4. What is the only integrated community in Israel, according to this chapter?
5. Rumors spread of a ___________ accomplice and foreign tourists fitting that description are rounded up for questioning.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the recurring theme in the examples that Shipler provides in terms of how the Arabs are portrayed in the media?
2. Unless a two state solution can be found, what will the population of Arabs to Jews be in the coming years?
3. What does Freij tell Shipler about his feelings of the Jews in regards to culture?
4. What is the second goal of Shipler for this book and for the understanding of the reader?
5. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
6. Why does the virulent bigotry in books, fiction and journalism not have much affect on the Arabs?
7. What happens when the Israelis grow too grand to perform manual labor in their society?
8. What did politicians do when a journalist documents forced expulsions from many parts of the country?
9. Shipler discusses the naivety of what official Israeli strategy as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations?
10. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While the Arabs and the Jews may have many issues with each other, they also seem to affect each other's lives in positive ways.
Part 1: Do you think that Arabs and Jews share commonalities? Why or why not?
Part 2: How have the Jews affected the lives of the Arab people?
Part 3: How have the Arabs affected the lives of the Jewish people?
Essay Topic 2
When you first read the title of this book, you were probably hit with a few images of each of these groups, whether accurate or not.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs are perceived the way that they are?
Part 2: Why do you think Jews are perceived the way that they are?
Part 3: Why do you think you have certain images which come up in your mind when you hear the group names?
Essay Topic 3
Shipler himself questions how his feelings about Arabs might have changed if he were directly involved in an act of violence.
Part 1: Do you think being personally affected by violence would make you hate a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think revenge is ever a good motivator in times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think Shipler considers the idea of revenge as a motivator for him to hate the Arabs? Do you think he might harbor some hesitation?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)