|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Children taught only caution in dealing with __________ more often grow to fear and hate them.
2. Shipler examines both sides' abandonment of the common ____________ of the desert.
3. Shipler fears that Arab youth are being affected by the Israeli ___________ using strong arm tactics in the presence of youth.
4. It is thought that Arabs are practical in daily life, but exaggerated in their ___________ life.
5. Why wasn't King Hussein able to continue his vision for peace and stability in the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Arab youth being affected by the actions of the Israeli police?
2. What is a 13-year-old Jewish boy called when he says that he is upset with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school?
3. What do smugglers make sure that young Palestinians get in relation to the Jews?
4. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
5. And finally, what is Shipler's third goal for this book and for the reading audience as a whole?
6. Shipler discusses the naivety of what official Israeli strategy as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations?
7. Where was Shipler wandering in the streets at the start of this book and its narrative?
8. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
9. What happens as a result of rumors being spread of a female accomplice in the hostage situation at the start of the chapter?
10. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When you first read the title of this book, you were probably hit with a few images of each of these groups, whether accurate or not.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs are perceived the way that they are?
Part 2: Why do you think Jews are perceived the way that they are?
Part 3: Why do you think you have certain images which come up in your mind when you hear the group names?
Essay Topic 2
Arabs often question the myths they have heard about the Jewish people as they are constantly in contact with them.
Part 1: Do you think integration will help to encourage different groups to better understand and tolerate each other? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Arabs are unable to get away from the Jewish people?
Part 3: Do you feel races should all live amongst each other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What's interesting to note is that Shipler points out that not all groups are intolerant of others.
Part 1: Why do you think there is a perception that all religious groups have some sort of intolerance?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to say that all Jews or all Arabs hate the other? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the groups might behave if they realized not everyone was intolerant of them?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)