Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Others charge that the Jews are agents of _______________, whether capitalistic or communist, and will distance Arabs from religious life.
2. The Lebanese women opposes a _________________ between Israel and Lebanon because this would result in an expansion of the Jewish state.
3. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
4. A 1984 commuter bus hijacking occurred, but the Israeli military censors imposed a complete _____________.
5. When the enemy has no _______________, it makes the hatred and bigotry easier.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
2. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
3. What happens as a result of rumors being spread of a female accomplice in the hostage situation at the start of the chapter?
4. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
5. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
6. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
7. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
8. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
9. How are the Arab youth being affected by the actions of the Israeli police?
10. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
Essay Topic 1
Muslim Israeli-Arabs are kept out of the draft, but the army is where people go to move up the social and economic ladder, thus they do not have a chance to excel in society.
Part 1: Why do you think military experience is so valuable in society?
Part 2: Do you think that including the Muslim Israeli-Arabs in the draft would be harmful to the army? Why or why not?
Part 3: Since the Muslim Israeli-Arabs are never going to excel in society, do you think they want to help the society at all? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Wars can create horrific results, but they also produce heroes as well as a chance to defend one's beliefs.
Part 1: Do you think war is the only solution in some situations? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think about the idea of war heroes? Do you believe someone fighting in a war is always a hero? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think you would ever feel called to fight in a war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What's perhaps most compelling about the divide between the Arabs and the Jews is its long, complex history.
Part 1: Why do you think the chasm between the Arabs and the Jews has lasted so long?
Part 2: How can someone stop a belief system which has been in place for centuries? Can they?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to change thinking which has been indoctrinated into a culture?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)