|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Opinion polls in 2002 fluctuated around the 50% mark among Israelis over whether they could accept an independent ___________ state next door.
2. Violence and counter violence have become not just byproducts of political battles, but also the origin of new __________.
3. Four heavily armed _________ seize a hostage and then release him and then are pursued by the mob around them.
4. The Jewish feel that the Arabs understand only a language of __________ and soft-handed policies will fail.
5. A journalist states that ______ are so used to having enemies that hey are suspicious when someone tries to be their friend.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
2. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
3. Why does the 12-year-old Palestinian in Jabalya have no past and no future, according to Shipler?
4. Why does the Arab side of the argument lack a spokesperson for reason?
5. What is the contradiction in opinion that Jews have about Arabs and their work ethic?
6. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
7. What happens because there is too much bitterness among Arabs and Jews, according to Shipler?
8. What is the first goal of Shipler as he strives to create a main discussion for this book?
9. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
10. And finally, what is Shipler's third goal for this book and for the reading audience as a whole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The description of another Holocaust taking place is shocking to many readers, but not to others.
Part 1: Do you believe that other Holocausts are occurring right now? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does the practice of Holocaust-like prison camps help a society?
Part 3: What does it say about society that Holocaust-like camps are still in existence?
Essay Topic 2
When you first read the title of this book, you were probably hit with a few images of each of these groups, whether accurate or not.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs are perceived the way that they are?
Part 2: Why do you think Jews are perceived the way that they are?
Part 3: Why do you think you have certain images which come up in your mind when you hear the group names?
Essay Topic 3
Children are taught from a young age to hate those who are not like them, with school lessons even talking about who to fear.
Part 1: Do you think it's right to teach children to fear a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think lessons about other races are necessary in schools? Why or why not?
Part 3: Are there ways to teach children about other races in an unbiased fashion? Why or why not?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)