|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Israeli Jews have mixed feelings about war's ________, whereas Arabs allow the Islamic concept of jihad.
2. An Egyptian girl tells Shipler how surprised she was to find ______________ so Middle Eastern.
3. The author observes that a "great tangle of nonsense grows from a seed of __________."
4. A tiny number of Israelis understand ________, which leads to paranoia.
5. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
2. Why does the virulent bigotry in books, fiction and journalism not have much affect on the Arabs?
3. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
4. What happens when the Israelis grow too grand to perform manual labor in their society?
5. What is a 13-year-old Jewish boy called when he says that he is upset with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school?
6. And finally, what is Shipler's third goal for this book and for the reading audience as a whole?
7. The college age Palestinian who was taken prisoner by the Israeli patrol found out what during his imprisonment?
8. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
9. What does Freij tell Shipler about his feelings of the Jews in regards to culture?
10. Shipler discusses the naivety of what official Israeli strategy as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When you first read the title of this book, you were probably hit with a few images of each of these groups, whether accurate or not.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs are perceived the way that they are?
Part 2: Why do you think Jews are perceived the way that they are?
Part 3: Why do you think you have certain images which come up in your mind when you hear the group names?
Essay Topic 2
Wars can create horrific results, but they also produce heroes as well as a chance to defend one's beliefs.
Part 1: Do you think war is the only solution in some situations? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think about the idea of war heroes? Do you believe someone fighting in a war is always a hero? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think you would ever feel called to fight in a war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A boy who did not agree with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school was called a traitor.
Part 1: Why do you think this Jewish boy was labeled a traitor?
Part 2: How else might the group have responded to the statement of the boy?
Part 3: Do you think the Jewish boy in today's world and in this classroom might face the same feedback? Why or why not?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)