|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ arguments carry little weight, even among extreme West Bank settlers.
2. Shipler concludes that only one side celebrates the liberation of _______________.
3. Violence and counter violence have become not just byproducts of political battles, but also the origin of new __________.
4. To improve the condition of the _________ would lesson the tension necessary to achieve statehood.
5. Schools on both sides, Shipler says, continue to deal selectively with the creation of Israel, the ____________ of the conflict.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the 12-year-old Palestinian in Jabalya have no past and no future, according to Shipler?
2. What happens when the Israelis grow too grand to perform manual labor in their society?
3. Unless a two state solution can be found, what will the population of Arabs to Jews be in the coming years?
4. And finally, what is Shipler's third goal for this book and for the reading audience as a whole?
5. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
6. What do Arabs have to say about Jews in their own stereotypes of this culture?
7. What are some of the ways in which Jews typically stereotype Arabs as noted in the book?
8. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
9. What is a 13-year-old Jewish boy called when he says that he is upset with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school?
10. What is the second goal of Shipler for this book and for the understanding of the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The description of another Holocaust taking place is shocking to many readers, but not to others.
Part 1: Do you believe that other Holocausts are occurring right now? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does the practice of Holocaust-like prison camps help a society?
Part 3: What does it say about society that Holocaust-like camps are still in existence?
Essay Topic 2
The two cultures have impacted each other over the decades - with Hebrew owing much of its language to Arabic.
Part 1: Why do you think the two cultures affected each other even in the midst of tensions?
Part 2: Do you think that the intermingling of cultures is a sign that the two can eventually come to peace? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that the two cultures realize they are quite similar? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The overall goal of the book seems to be to discuss whether peace is possible in an area with such a long history of war.
Part 1: Why do you think peace is still the goal of mankind?
Part 2: Do you think finding world peace is something that is possible? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the world would change if we were able to create world peace?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)