|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The expulsion of all ____________ from the city is demanded as a result of the incident in Jerusalem.
2. Power is decidedly one sided - _________ have it and the ____________ do not.
3. Sometimes, being ____________ is advantageous because there is no legacy of long standing antagonism.
4. "If you have ______________, you must find a way to make peace..."
5. At this time of the first edition of this book, which flag was outlawed in terms of being permitted to be displayed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
2. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
3. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
4. What is a 13-year-old Jewish boy called when he says that he is upset with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school?
5. Unless a two state solution can be found, what will the population of Arabs to Jews be in the coming years?
6. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
7. Why does the 12-year-old Palestinian in Jabalya have no past and no future, according to Shipler?
8. What does Shipler explain about the Middle Easterners and what they have felt they need to do?
9. Why does the Arab side of the argument lack a spokesperson for reason?
10. Where is the Israelis' rejection of Palestinianism shown, according to Shipler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What's perhaps most compelling about the divide between the Arabs and the Jews is its long, complex history.
Part 1: Why do you think the chasm between the Arabs and the Jews has lasted so long?
Part 2: How can someone stop a belief system which has been in place for centuries? Can they?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to change thinking which has been indoctrinated into a culture?
Essay Topic 2
What's interesting to note is that Shipler points out that not all groups are intolerant of others.
Part 1: Why do you think there is a perception that all religious groups have some sort of intolerance?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to say that all Jews or all Arabs hate the other? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the groups might behave if they realized not everyone was intolerant of them?
Essay Topic 3
While the Arabs and the Jews may have many issues with each other, they also seem to affect each other's lives in positive ways.
Part 1: Do you think that Arabs and Jews share commonalities? Why or why not?
Part 2: How have the Jews affected the lives of the Arab people?
Part 3: How have the Arabs affected the lives of the Jewish people?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)