|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is believed that ______________ changed the Jews.
2. Rarely, Shipler notes, does terrorism become an effective tool as it quickly becomes _______________.
3. Shipler looks at the current textbooks and sees that there are no dialogues, just inflammatory ____________.
4. Settlers also were determined to establish a purely ___________ way of life where they now resided.
5. Shipler deals with the Jewish stereotype that Arabs are violent, uncivilized ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
2. What do some scholars with whom Shipler speaks say in regards to most Muslims' understanding of their own book?
3. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
4. What is a 13-year-old Jewish boy called when he says that he is upset with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school?
5. And finally, what is Shipler's third goal for this book and for the reading audience as a whole?
6. Why does the 12-year-old Palestinian in Jabalya have no past and no future, according to Shipler?
7. What happens because there is too much bitterness among Arabs and Jews, according to Shipler?
8. Shipler discusses the naivety of what official Israeli strategy as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations?
9. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
10. The college age Palestinian who was taken prisoner by the Israeli patrol found out what during his imprisonment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is said by Rabbi David Hartman that biblical people are extremists. This is a powerful statement for readers.
Part 1: Do you agree with the statement of Rabbi Hartman? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Hartman makes the statement he does?
Part 3: In what ways have you seen religion affect the way the world works together?
Essay Topic 2
When you first read the title of this book, you were probably hit with a few images of each of these groups, whether accurate or not.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs are perceived the way that they are?
Part 2: Why do you think Jews are perceived the way that they are?
Part 3: Why do you think you have certain images which come up in your mind when you hear the group names?
Essay Topic 3
The Arabs were expelled from their lands in 1948 and since then have wanted to return home, causing conflict and hard feelings.
Part 1: Do you think it was right to banish the Arabs from their lands in the first place? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Arabs have a right to go back to their homeland? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the expelled people must feel in a land which is not their own?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)