|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Only a small percentage of Israelis identify themselves as _____________.
2. A Syrian prisoner of war wept when he realized that the kibbutzim were not the ___________ he had 'known' them to be.
3. Shipler seeks to catalog the ___________ each side has of the other side.
4. Four heavily armed _________ seize a hostage and then release him and then are pursued by the mob around them.
5. The book decides to show revelations about an area of the world which is too easy to ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as a result of rumors being spread of a female accomplice in the hostage situation at the start of the chapter?
2. And finally, what is Shipler's third goal for this book and for the reading audience as a whole?
3. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
4. What do smugglers make sure that young Palestinians get in relation to the Jews?
5. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
6. Shipler discusses the naivety of what official Israeli strategy as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations?
7. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
8. What is the first goal of Shipler as he strives to create a main discussion for this book?
9. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
10. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Children are taught from a young age to hate those who are not like them, with school lessons even talking about who to fear.
Part 1: Do you think it's right to teach children to fear a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think lessons about other races are necessary in schools? Why or why not?
Part 3: Are there ways to teach children about other races in an unbiased fashion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The description of another Holocaust taking place is shocking to many readers, but not to others.
Part 1: Do you believe that other Holocausts are occurring right now? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does the practice of Holocaust-like prison camps help a society?
Part 3: What does it say about society that Holocaust-like camps are still in existence?
Essay Topic 3
Arabs often question the myths they have heard about the Jewish people as they are constantly in contact with them.
Part 1: Do you think integration will help to encourage different groups to better understand and tolerate each other? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Arabs are unable to get away from the Jewish people?
Part 3: Do you feel races should all live amongst each other? Why or why not?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)