|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
2. Shipler claims that at the time he and his family lived in Jerusalem, it was safer than _____________.
3. A journalist states that ______ are so used to having enemies that hey are suspicious when someone tries to be their friend.
4. Others charge that the Jews are agents of _______________, whether capitalistic or communist, and will distance Arabs from religious life.
5. The official Israeli strategy is to destroy the ___________ as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
2. Where was Shipler wandering in the streets at the start of this book and its narrative?
3. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
4. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
5. What does Freij tell Shipler about his feelings of the Jews in regards to culture?
6. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
7. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
8. What is the official Israeli myth which is dissected in the book which Shipler has written?
9. What leads to paranoia about what might be said by Arabs on the television or on the radio?
10. What are some of the ways in which Jews typically stereotype Arabs as noted in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When you first read the title of this book, you were probably hit with a few images of each of these groups, whether accurate or not.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs are perceived the way that they are?
Part 2: Why do you think Jews are perceived the way that they are?
Part 3: Why do you think you have certain images which come up in your mind when you hear the group names?
Essay Topic 2
It is said by Rabbi David Hartman that biblical people are extremists. This is a powerful statement for readers.
Part 1: Do you agree with the statement of Rabbi Hartman? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Hartman makes the statement he does?
Part 3: In what ways have you seen religion affect the way the world works together?
Essay Topic 3
Shipler himself questions how his feelings about Arabs might have changed if he were directly involved in an act of violence.
Part 1: Do you think being personally affected by violence would make you hate a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think revenge is ever a good motivator in times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think Shipler considers the idea of revenge as a motivator for him to hate the Arabs? Do you think he might harbor some hesitation?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)