Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Others charge that the Jews are agents of _______________, whether capitalistic or communist, and will distance Arabs from religious life.
2. The Lebanese women opposes a _________________ between Israel and Lebanon because this would result in an expansion of the Jewish state.
3. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
4. A 1984 commuter bus hijacking occurred, but the Israeli military censors imposed a complete _____________.
5. When the enemy has no _______________, it makes the hatred and bigotry easier.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
2. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
3. What happens as a result of rumors being spread of a female accomplice in the hostage situation at the start of the chapter?
4. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
5. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
6. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
7. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
8. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
9. How are the Arab youth being affected by the actions of the Israeli police?
10. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
The Arab stereotype includes the idea that they are just violent brutes who are also cowardly.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs have gained the stereotypes that they have?
Part 2: Do you agree with this stereotype of the Arabs and how you perceive this group of people? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might be a better way to describe the Arab people which might be more realistic?
Shipler himself questions how his feelings about Arabs might have changed if he were directly involved in an act of violence.
Part 1: Do you think being personally affected by violence would make you hate a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think revenge is ever a good motivator in times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think Shipler considers the idea of revenge as a motivator for him to hate the Arabs? Do you think he might harbor some hesitation?
The two cultures have impacted each other over the decades - with Hebrew owing much of its language to Arabic.
Part 1: Why do you think the two cultures affected each other even in the midst of tensions?
Part 2: Do you think that the intermingling of cultures is a sign that the two can eventually come to peace? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that the two cultures realize they are quite similar? Why or why not?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)