|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Acts of violence lead to ___________, worst case assumptions and calls for retribution.
2. Why wasn't King Hussein able to continue his vision for peace and stability in the area?
3. The King Hussein of _______ vows to work for peace and for security in the area.
4. Shipler examines both sides' abandonment of the common ____________ of the desert.
5. Shipler begins to describe the history of the Palestinian and the Israeli ________ to help the reader gain perspective.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second goal of Shipler for this book and for the understanding of the reader?
2. What do smugglers make sure that young Palestinians get in relation to the Jews?
3. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
4. What do some scholars with whom Shipler speaks say in regards to most Muslims' understanding of their own book?
5. What is the first goal of Shipler as he strives to create a main discussion for this book?
6. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
7. What is the official Israeli myth which is dissected in the book which Shipler has written?
8. Shipler discusses the naivety of what official Israeli strategy as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations?
9. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
10. Where was Shipler wandering in the streets at the start of this book and its narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While the Arabs and the Jews may have many issues with each other, they also seem to affect each other's lives in positive ways.
Part 1: Do you think that Arabs and Jews share commonalities? Why or why not?
Part 2: How have the Jews affected the lives of the Arab people?
Part 3: How have the Arabs affected the lives of the Jewish people?
Essay Topic 2
Palestinians assume all groups and organizations are filled with informants.
Part 1: Why do the Palestinians feel they have to be suspicious of everyone around them?
Part 2: Do you think the Palestinians' paranoia is well-founded? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about those around you on an everyday basis? Are there spies around you?
Essay Topic 3
The overall goal of the book seems to be to discuss whether peace is possible in an area with such a long history of war.
Part 1: Why do you think peace is still the goal of mankind?
Part 2: Do you think finding world peace is something that is possible? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the world would change if we were able to create world peace?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)