|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler focuses on the variety of ____________ at the Damascus Gate at the start of the book.
2. Settlers referred to their occupation of the territories as ______________.
3. __________ abounds on both sides, established by decades of war and terror, and individuals vary in how bigoted or tolerant they are.
4. The __________ are the Zionists who founded Israel and control the government.
5. Some young upper class Arabs try to escape their _______ ways and try to emulate the West.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Palestinians assume about their schools, jobs, villages, and even the refugee camps?
2. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
3. Why does the 12-year-old Palestinian in Jabalya have no past and no future, according to Shipler?
4. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
5. The college age Palestinian who was taken prisoner by the Israeli patrol found out what during his imprisonment?
6. Why does the Arab side of the argument lack a spokesperson for reason?
7. What do Arabs have to say about Jews in their own stereotypes of this culture?
8. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
9. What is the first goal of Shipler as he strives to create a main discussion for this book?
10. What is a 13-year-old Jewish boy called when he says that he is upset with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Muslim Israeli-Arabs are kept out of the draft, but the army is where people go to move up the social and economic ladder, thus they do not have a chance to excel in society.
Part 1: Why do you think military experience is so valuable in society?
Part 2: Do you think that including the Muslim Israeli-Arabs in the draft would be harmful to the army? Why or why not?
Part 3: Since the Muslim Israeli-Arabs are never going to excel in society, do you think they want to help the society at all? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While the Arabs and the Jews may have many issues with each other, they also seem to affect each other's lives in positive ways.
Part 1: Do you think that Arabs and Jews share commonalities? Why or why not?
Part 2: How have the Jews affected the lives of the Arab people?
Part 3: How have the Arabs affected the lives of the Jewish people?
Essay Topic 3
What's interesting to note is that Shipler points out that not all groups are intolerant of others.
Part 1: Why do you think there is a perception that all religious groups have some sort of intolerance?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to say that all Jews or all Arabs hate the other? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the groups might behave if they realized not everyone was intolerant of them?
This section contains 1,997 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)