|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through contact with individual __________, Arabs often soften their stance and realize the danger of their stereotyping.
2. During the takeover of the West Bank and Jerusalem in 1967, Arabs were surprised by how ___________ they were treated.
3. __________ abounds on both sides, established by decades of war and terror, and individuals vary in how bigoted or tolerant they are.
4. Shipler seeks to catalog the ___________ each side has of the other side.
5. Shipler has an extended analysis of ___________ as practiced by both the Arabs and the Jews.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Arabs have to say about Jews in their own stereotypes of this culture?
2. What is the official Israeli myth which is dissected in the book which Shipler has written?
3. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
4. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
5. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
6. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
7. What happens because there is too much bitterness among Arabs and Jews, according to Shipler?
8. What do some scholars with whom Shipler speaks say in regards to most Muslims' understanding of their own book?
9. What is a 13-year-old Jewish boy called when he says that he is upset with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school?
10. What is the contradiction in opinion that Jews have about Arabs and their work ethic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The overall goal of the book seems to be to discuss whether peace is possible in an area with such a long history of war.
Part 1: Why do you think peace is still the goal of mankind?
Part 2: Do you think finding world peace is something that is possible? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the world would change if we were able to create world peace?
Essay Topic 2
The two cultures have impacted each other over the decades - with Hebrew owing much of its language to Arabic.
Part 1: Why do you think the two cultures affected each other even in the midst of tensions?
Part 2: Do you think that the intermingling of cultures is a sign that the two can eventually come to peace? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that the two cultures realize they are quite similar? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What's perhaps most compelling about the divide between the Arabs and the Jews is its long, complex history.
Part 1: Why do you think the chasm between the Arabs and the Jews has lasted so long?
Part 2: How can someone stop a belief system which has been in place for centuries? Can they?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to change thinking which has been indoctrinated into a culture?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)