|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler explains that Middle Easterners have always felt the need to pigeonhole new acquaintances by their __________.
2. Failing to understand the more reserved ____________ of the Ashkenazim, Arabs were unable to recognize authentic hospitality.
3. Shipler fears that Arab youth are being affected by the Israeli ___________ using strong arm tactics in the presence of youth.
4. Shipler talks with several participants in a program called Interns for _______.
5. Shipler describes life in the Dheisheh __________ on the occupied West Bank where every aspect of life instills militancy in youth.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Palestinians NOT do, even though many Jews say that they do?
2. What happens as a result of rumors being spread of a female accomplice in the hostage situation at the start of the chapter?
3. What happens because there is too much bitterness among Arabs and Jews, according to Shipler?
4. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
5. What is the contradiction in opinion that Jews have about Arabs and their work ethic?
6. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
7. What happens when the Israelis grow too grand to perform manual labor in their society?
8. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
9. What is the second goal of Shipler for this book and for the understanding of the reader?
10. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When you first read the title of this book, you were probably hit with a few images of each of these groups, whether accurate or not.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs are perceived the way that they are?
Part 2: Why do you think Jews are perceived the way that they are?
Part 3: Why do you think you have certain images which come up in your mind when you hear the group names?
Essay Topic 2
The overall goal of the book seems to be to discuss whether peace is possible in an area with such a long history of war.
Part 1: Why do you think peace is still the goal of mankind?
Part 2: Do you think finding world peace is something that is possible? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the world would change if we were able to create world peace?
Essay Topic 3
Shipler himself questions how his feelings about Arabs might have changed if he were directly involved in an act of violence.
Part 1: Do you think being personally affected by violence would make you hate a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think revenge is ever a good motivator in times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think Shipler considers the idea of revenge as a motivator for him to hate the Arabs? Do you think he might harbor some hesitation?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)