|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The official ___________ myth is that 700,000 Arabs fled their homes in 1948, freely giving up their rights.
2. Most Jews, even the well-educated and liberal ones, are so completely isolated from contact with _____________ that they can not fully understand the situation.
3. Schools on both sides, Shipler says, continue to deal selectively with the creation of Israel, the ____________ of the conflict.
4. A 1984 commuter bus hijacking occurred, but the Israeli military censors imposed a complete _____________.
5. Shipler describes how a _____________ prisoner was surprised when he could not discern any difference between a Sephardic and Ashkenazi guard.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
2. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
3. What happens because there is too much bitterness among Arabs and Jews, according to Shipler?
4. What do smugglers make sure that young Palestinians get in relation to the Jews?
5. What does Rabbi Hartman have to say about religion at the start of this chapter?
6. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
7. What do some scholars with whom Shipler speaks say in regards to most Muslims' understanding of their own book?
8. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
9. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
10. What happens when the Israelis grow too grand to perform manual labor in their society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Muslim Israeli-Arabs are kept out of the draft, but the army is where people go to move up the social and economic ladder, thus they do not have a chance to excel in society.
Part 1: Why do you think military experience is so valuable in society?
Part 2: Do you think that including the Muslim Israeli-Arabs in the draft would be harmful to the army? Why or why not?
Part 3: Since the Muslim Israeli-Arabs are never going to excel in society, do you think they want to help the society at all? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A boy who did not agree with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school was called a traitor.
Part 1: Why do you think this Jewish boy was labeled a traitor?
Part 2: How else might the group have responded to the statement of the boy?
Part 3: Do you think the Jewish boy in today's world and in this classroom might face the same feedback? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Those who do not live in the Middle East may not know what truly happens in the area unless the media shows them a picture or tells a story.
Part 1: Do you believe that all media sources can be trusted to have an unbiased view of the Middle East? Why or why not?
Part 2: How might someone find an unbiased viewpoint of things which do not go on in their local area?
Part 3: Why do you think some countries enforce blackouts about things which happen in their lands?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)