|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler describes how a _____________ prisoner was surprised when he could not discern any difference between a Sephardic and Ashkenazi guard.
2. Shipler traces _______ waves of settles, none of whom felt any mystical attraction to the land.
3. Shipler explains that Middle Easterners have always felt the need to pigeonhole new acquaintances by their __________.
4. The twelve-year-old Palestinian notes that he has no ________ and no future.
5. Shipler wonders whether if his son had been killed during the incident if he would have hated all ____________ and craved revenge.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when some of the people retreat to dogmatism in their thinking about the enemy?
2. What happens as a result of rumors being spread of a female accomplice in the hostage situation at the start of the chapter?
3. What are some of the ways in which Jews typically stereotype Arabs as noted in the book?
4. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
5. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
6. Why does the 12-year-old Palestinian in Jabalya have no past and no future, according to Shipler?
7. What does Freij tell Shipler about his feelings of the Jews in regards to culture?
8. What happens when the Israelis grow too grand to perform manual labor in their society?
9. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
10. What is the contradiction in opinion that Jews have about Arabs and their work ethic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Muslim Israeli-Arabs are kept out of the draft, but the army is where people go to move up the social and economic ladder, thus they do not have a chance to excel in society.
Part 1: Why do you think military experience is so valuable in society?
Part 2: Do you think that including the Muslim Israeli-Arabs in the draft would be harmful to the army? Why or why not?
Part 3: Since the Muslim Israeli-Arabs are never going to excel in society, do you think they want to help the society at all? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When you first read the title of this book, you were probably hit with a few images of each of these groups, whether accurate or not.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs are perceived the way that they are?
Part 2: Why do you think Jews are perceived the way that they are?
Part 3: Why do you think you have certain images which come up in your mind when you hear the group names?
Essay Topic 3
A boy who did not agree with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school was called a traitor.
Part 1: Why do you think this Jewish boy was labeled a traitor?
Part 2: How else might the group have responded to the statement of the boy?
Part 3: Do you think the Jewish boy in today's world and in this classroom might face the same feedback? Why or why not?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)