Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Others charge that the Jews are agents of _______________, whether capitalistic or communist, and will distance Arabs from religious life.
2. The Lebanese women opposes a _________________ between Israel and Lebanon because this would result in an expansion of the Jewish state.
3. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
4. A 1984 commuter bus hijacking occurred, but the Israeli military censors imposed a complete _____________.
5. When the enemy has no _______________, it makes the hatred and bigotry easier.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
2. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
3. What happens as a result of rumors being spread of a female accomplice in the hostage situation at the start of the chapter?
4. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
5. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
6. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
7. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
8. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
9. How are the Arab youth being affected by the actions of the Israeli police?
10. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
The description of another Holocaust taking place is shocking to many readers, but not to others.
Part 1: Do you believe that other Holocausts are occurring right now? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does the practice of Holocaust-like prison camps help a society?
Part 3: What does it say about society that Holocaust-like camps are still in existence?
Children are taught from a young age to hate those who are not like them, with school lessons even talking about who to fear.
Part 1: Do you think it's right to teach children to fear a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think lessons about other races are necessary in schools? Why or why not?
Part 3: Are there ways to teach children about other races in an unbiased fashion? Why or why not?
Arabs often question the myths they have heard about the Jewish people as they are constantly in contact with them.
Part 1: Do you think integration will help to encourage different groups to better understand and tolerate each other? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Arabs are unable to get away from the Jewish people?
Part 3: Do you feel races should all live amongst each other? Why or why not?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)