|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Jewish feel that the Arabs understand only a language of __________ and soft-handed policies will fail.
2. Critics see no need to meet the enemy personally as they already know what ___________ are like.
3. Shipler seeks to catalog the ___________ each side has of the other side.
4. Through contact with individual __________, Arabs often soften their stance and realize the danger of their stereotyping.
5. Rarely, Shipler notes, does terrorism become an effective tool as it quickly becomes _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do some scholars with whom Shipler speaks say in regards to most Muslims' understanding of their own book?
2. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
3. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
4. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
5. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
6. What did politicians do when a journalist documents forced expulsions from many parts of the country?
7. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
8. Where was Shipler wandering in the streets at the start of this book and its narrative?
9. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
10. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Those who do not live in the Middle East may not know what truly happens in the area unless the media shows them a picture or tells a story.
Part 1: Do you believe that all media sources can be trusted to have an unbiased view of the Middle East? Why or why not?
Part 2: How might someone find an unbiased viewpoint of things which do not go on in their local area?
Part 3: Why do you think some countries enforce blackouts about things which happen in their lands?
Essay Topic 2
The description of another Holocaust taking place is shocking to many readers, but not to others.
Part 1: Do you believe that other Holocausts are occurring right now? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does the practice of Holocaust-like prison camps help a society?
Part 3: What does it say about society that Holocaust-like camps are still in existence?
Essay Topic 3
The overall goal of the book seems to be to discuss whether peace is possible in an area with such a long history of war.
Part 1: Why do you think peace is still the goal of mankind?
Part 2: Do you think finding world peace is something that is possible? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the world would change if we were able to create world peace?
This section contains 2,012 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)