|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler focuses on the variety of ____________ at the Damascus Gate at the start of the book.
2. Freij does not hate the ____________, just what they do: introduce foreign culture which contaminates the Arabs' ancient culture.
3. Shipler plans to reveal the broad forces in the area which contribute to ______________.
4. The Arab-Israeli dispute is _________, but fundamentalism fans the flames.
5. A 13-year-old __________ boy is upset by the anti-Arab bigotry and is called a traitor, a PLO supporter and a communist.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
2. What is the contradiction in opinion that Jews have about Arabs and their work ethic?
3. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
4. What does Shipler explain about the Middle Easterners and what they have felt they need to do?
5. What is the official Israeli myth which is dissected in the book which Shipler has written?
6. What do Arabs have to say about Jews in their own stereotypes of this culture?
7. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
8. What is the first goal of Shipler as he strives to create a main discussion for this book?
9. What happens when some of the people retreat to dogmatism in their thinking about the enemy?
10. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Intermarriage is something that is abhorred in the midst of the tension between the Arabs and the Jews.
Part 1: Why do you think intermarriage is prohibited in the minds of the people in society?
Part 2: What might some of the benefits of intermarriage be to the tensions between the groups of people?
Part 3: Do you think that intermarriage is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A boy who did not agree with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school was called a traitor.
Part 1: Why do you think this Jewish boy was labeled a traitor?
Part 2: How else might the group have responded to the statement of the boy?
Part 3: Do you think the Jewish boy in today's world and in this classroom might face the same feedback? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The overall goal of the book seems to be to discuss whether peace is possible in an area with such a long history of war.
Part 1: Why do you think peace is still the goal of mankind?
Part 2: Do you think finding world peace is something that is possible? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the world would change if we were able to create world peace?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)