|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
2. The opening of the chapter depicts an incident which took place on King _________ Street in Jerusalem.
3. It is thought that Arabs are practical in daily life, but exaggerated in their ___________ life.
4. Shipler has an extended analysis of ___________ as practiced by both the Arabs and the Jews.
5. Acts of violence lead to ___________, worst case assumptions and calls for retribution.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rabbi Hartman have to say about religion at the start of this chapter?
2. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
3. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
4. What does Freij tell Shipler about his feelings of the Jews in regards to culture?
5. Unless a two state solution can be found, what will the population of Arabs to Jews be in the coming years?
6. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
7. Where was Shipler wandering in the streets at the start of this book and its narrative?
8. Why does the Arab side of the argument lack a spokesperson for reason?
9. What is the recurring theme in the examples that Shipler provides in terms of how the Arabs are portrayed in the media?
10. What leads to paranoia about what might be said by Arabs on the television or on the radio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A boy who did not agree with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school was called a traitor.
Part 1: Why do you think this Jewish boy was labeled a traitor?
Part 2: How else might the group have responded to the statement of the boy?
Part 3: Do you think the Jewish boy in today's world and in this classroom might face the same feedback? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The two cultures have impacted each other over the decades - with Hebrew owing much of its language to Arabic.
Part 1: Why do you think the two cultures affected each other even in the midst of tensions?
Part 2: Do you think that the intermingling of cultures is a sign that the two can eventually come to peace? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that the two cultures realize they are quite similar? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Shipler himself questions how his feelings about Arabs might have changed if he were directly involved in an act of violence.
Part 1: Do you think being personally affected by violence would make you hate a certain group of people? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think revenge is ever a good motivator in times of war?
Part 3: Why do you think Shipler considers the idea of revenge as a motivator for him to hate the Arabs? Do you think he might harbor some hesitation?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)