|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rabbi David Hartman is a ___________ philosopher who states that religion is naturally reactionary.
2. The opening at the beginning of the book is a wandering of the streets of ____________ from sunrise to high noon.
3. The Jewish feel that the Arabs understand only a language of __________ and soft-handed policies will fail.
4. Who are considered to be fearsome, violent, immensely strong, cruel and cowardly?
5. Through contact with individual __________, Arabs often soften their stance and realize the danger of their stereotyping.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the 12-year-old Palestinian in Jabalya have no past and no future, according to Shipler?
2. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
3. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
4. What do smugglers make sure that young Palestinians get in relation to the Jews?
5. What does Shipler explain about the Middle Easterners and what they have felt they need to do?
6. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
7. Unless a two state solution can be found, what will the population of Arabs to Jews be in the coming years?
8. What does Freij tell Shipler about his feelings of the Jews in regards to culture?
9. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
10. What is the second goal of Shipler for this book and for the understanding of the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Those who do not live in the Middle East may not know what truly happens in the area unless the media shows them a picture or tells a story.
Part 1: Do you believe that all media sources can be trusted to have an unbiased view of the Middle East? Why or why not?
Part 2: How might someone find an unbiased viewpoint of things which do not go on in their local area?
Part 3: Why do you think some countries enforce blackouts about things which happen in their lands?
Essay Topic 2
A girl tells Shipler that she would like to learn to read, but that she is too old for coeducational schooling.
Part 1: Why do you think girls are only allowed to be in school up to a certain point?
Part 2: How does a society benefit from having a strong learning system?
Part 3: What might a women do if she has no education to use in her life? What are her options?
Essay Topic 3
When you first read the title of this book, you were probably hit with a few images of each of these groups, whether accurate or not.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs are perceived the way that they are?
Part 2: Why do you think Jews are perceived the way that they are?
Part 3: Why do you think you have certain images which come up in your mind when you hear the group names?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)