|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Settlers also were determined to establish a purely ___________ way of life where they now resided.
2. Freij does not hate the ____________, just what they do: introduce foreign culture which contaminates the Arabs' ancient culture.
3. The expulsion of all ____________ from the city is demanded as a result of the incident in Jerusalem.
4. Only a small percentage of Israelis identify themselves as _____________.
5. It is thought that Arabs are practical in daily life, but exaggerated in their ___________ life.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
2. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
3. Why does the virulent bigotry in books, fiction and journalism not have much affect on the Arabs?
4. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
5. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
6. The college age Palestinian who was taken prisoner by the Israeli patrol found out what during his imprisonment?
7. How are the Arab youth being affected by the actions of the Israeli police?
8. What do children's texts and street jokes seem to depict the Jew as?
9. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
10. What happens as a result of rumors being spread of a female accomplice in the hostage situation at the start of the chapter?
Essay Topic 1
While the Arabs and the Jews may have many issues with each other, they also seem to affect each other's lives in positive ways.
Part 1: Do you think that Arabs and Jews share commonalities? Why or why not?
Part 2: How have the Jews affected the lives of the Arab people?
Part 3: How have the Arabs affected the lives of the Jewish people?
Essay Topic 2
The two cultures have impacted each other over the decades - with Hebrew owing much of its language to Arabic.
Part 1: Why do you think the two cultures affected each other even in the midst of tensions?
Part 2: Do you think that the intermingling of cultures is a sign that the two can eventually come to peace? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that the two cultures realize they are quite similar? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Arab stereotype includes the idea that they are just violent brutes who are also cowardly.
Part 1: Why do you think Arabs have gained the stereotypes that they have?
Part 2: Do you agree with this stereotype of the Arabs and how you perceive this group of people? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might be a better way to describe the Arab people which might be more realistic?
This section contains 2,035 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)