|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Critics see no need to meet the enemy personally as they already know what ___________ are like.
2. _____________ do not practice polygamy and enforce veiling of women as some Jews believe.
3. The opening of the chapter depicts an incident which took place on King _________ Street in Jerusalem.
4. Shipler wonders whether if his son had been killed during the incident if he would have hated all ____________ and craved revenge.
5. Acts of violence lead to ___________, worst case assumptions and calls for retribution.
Short Essay Questions
1. The college age Palestinian who was taken prisoner by the Israeli patrol found out what during his imprisonment?
2. What is the first goal of Shipler as he strives to create a main discussion for this book?
3. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
4. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
5. What happens because there is too much bitterness among Arabs and Jews, according to Shipler?
6. What did politicians do when a journalist documents forced expulsions from many parts of the country?
7. What are some of the ways in which Jews typically stereotype Arabs as noted in the book?
8. Why does the 12-year-old Palestinian in Jabalya have no past and no future, according to Shipler?
9. What happens when some of the people retreat to dogmatism in their thinking about the enemy?
10. What does Freij tell Shipler about his feelings of the Jews in regards to culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two cultures have impacted each other over the decades - with Hebrew owing much of its language to Arabic.
Part 1: Why do you think the two cultures affected each other even in the midst of tensions?
Part 2: Do you think that the intermingling of cultures is a sign that the two can eventually come to peace? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that the two cultures realize they are quite similar? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Wars can create horrific results, but they also produce heroes as well as a chance to defend one's beliefs.
Part 1: Do you think war is the only solution in some situations? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think about the idea of war heroes? Do you believe someone fighting in a war is always a hero? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think you would ever feel called to fight in a war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Arabs often question the myths they have heard about the Jewish people as they are constantly in contact with them.
Part 1: Do you think integration will help to encourage different groups to better understand and tolerate each other? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Arabs are unable to get away from the Jewish people?
Part 3: Do you feel races should all live amongst each other? Why or why not?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)