|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these answers is the name for the organization which handles internal police matters?
(b) Shin Beth.
2. Zohar says that if his parents had not remained in Israel, he would have become a ___________ in the refugee camps.
3. Shipler points out that few Arabs know anything about ___________ as it is not covered well, if at all, in school.
(a) The wars.
(b) Jewish struggles.
(c) The history of their people.
(d) The Holocaust.
4. In May of 2001, Shipler asks students who they think the victims are in the conflicts. What do they all answer?
(a) No one.
5. Because the tribesmen have no quarrel with the ____________, they are treated kindly, remarkably generously in the opinion of many of the Bedouin.
Short Answer Questions
1. With the rise of ___________ in the seventh century, an Arab-Jewish symbiosis flowered.
2. Some ____________ oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs since they are exempt from military service.
3. Shipler says that a powerful fear of the alleged sexual __________ of Arab men is intermixed with all of the other stereotypes Jews hold.
4. On the first day, the students are told to do nothing but pass each other and _________________.
5. Camel caravans used to take 18 days to reach Cairo, so they would only occur __________ times a year.
Short Essay Questions
1. After 45 days of imprisonment and torture, what did the young Palestinian swore he had done during that time?
2. What does Shipler find a striking similarity between when this chapter begins?
3. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
4. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
5. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
6. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
7. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
8. Why do some Jews oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs?
9. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
10. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)