|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shipler describes the prison camp as a squalid _______, stinking of sewage and garbage.
2. The man in the relationship portrayed in the radio program ends up entering a _________ and becoming a religious zealot.
(c) Mental institution.
3. Shipler describes the similarity between a __________ ceremony with the Bedouin and a Jewish passover.
(a) Hand washing.
4. Under Muslim control, Jews adapted their _____________ to fit local conditions.
5. Camel caravans used to take 18 days to reach Cairo, so they would only occur __________ times a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Intermarriages are illegal and must be conducted _______________.
2. Which of these answers is the name for the organization which handles internal police matters?
3. With the rise of ___________ in the seventh century, an Arab-Jewish symbiosis flowered.
4. The young girl says she would like to learn how to __________, but she is too old for coeducational learning.
5. Sexual experimentation with ____________ is attractive to Muslim males because of how their beliefs are structured.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
2. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
3. Why do some Jews oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs?
4. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
5. Why does Tala reject the idea of meeting again with Jewish teens?
6. Describe the conditions that Shipler found when he was allowed to go into Ansar.
7. Why was it witty for a Palestinian who claimed he was a target of anti-Semitism when targeted by anti-Arab bigotry?
8. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
9. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
10. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)