Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Others charge that the Jews are agents of _______________, whether capitalistic or communist, and will distance Arabs from religious life.
2. The Lebanese women opposes a _________________ between Israel and Lebanon because this would result in an expansion of the Jewish state.
(b) Peace treaty.
3. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
4. A 1984 commuter bus hijacking occurred, but the Israeli military censors imposed a complete _____________.
(c) Press coverage.
(d) List of demands.
5. When the enemy has no _______________, it makes the hatred and bigotry easier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
2. The Arab-Israeli dispute is _________, but fundamentalism fans the flames.
3. Interviews with Palestinians showed disappointment with the efforts to improve the people's plight by the ____________________.
4. "If you have ______________, you must find a way to make peace..."
5. Laura Franklin notes that it's true that __________ are dirty and sweaty at work, but that their homes are immaculate.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things which the Israelis have done for the Sinai Bedouin?
2. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
3. What happens as a result of rumors being spread of a female accomplice in the hostage situation at the start of the chapter?
4. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
5. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
6. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
7. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
8. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
9. How are the Arab youth being affected by the actions of the Israeli police?
10. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)