|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _____________ is a nationalistic movement, whose political agenda is in continuity with the lamentation of the Jews exiled to Bablyon.
(d) Muslim pride.
2. The author observes that a "great tangle of nonsense grows from a seed of __________."
3. To improve the condition of the _________ would lesson the tension necessary to achieve statehood.
4. _____________ do not practice polygamy and enforce veiling of women as some Jews believe.
5. A Jewish lawyer tells Shipler that ___________ do not work on Arabs since they show no psychological signs of mendacity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some young upper class Arabs try to escape their _______ ways and try to emulate the West.
2. Freij does not hate the ____________, just what they do: introduce foreign culture which contaminates the Arabs' ancient culture.
3. A tiny number of Israelis understand ________, which leads to paranoia.
4. Shipler deals with the Jewish stereotype that Arabs are violent, uncivilized ___________.
5. Through contact with individual __________, Arabs often soften their stance and realize the danger of their stereotyping.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shipler explain about the Middle Easterners and what they have felt they need to do?
2. What does Freij tell Shipler about his feelings of the Jews in regards to culture?
3. And finally, what is Shipler's third goal for this book and for the reading audience as a whole?
4. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
5. Why does the Arab side of the argument lack a spokesperson for reason?
6. What is the first goal of Shipler as he strives to create a main discussion for this book?
7. Why does the virulent bigotry in books, fiction and journalism not have much affect on the Arabs?
8. What do smugglers make sure that young Palestinians get in relation to the Jews?
9. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
10. What is the recurring theme in the examples that Shipler provides in terms of how the Arabs are portrayed in the media?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)