|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The 2002 _____________ shows that the area in the Middle East is growing steadily more complex and explosive.
(d) Peace treaty.
2. The twelve-year-old Palestinian notes that he has no ________ and no future.
(c) Sense of belonging.
3. ____________ is comfortable to both sides as everyone knows unambiguously whom to hate.
4. Shipler fears that Arab youth are being affected by the Israeli ___________ using strong arm tactics in the presence of youth.
5. Shipler deals with the Jewish stereotype that Arabs are violent, uncivilized ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is a profound resentment that Arab youth are exempt from ____________, which gives them an advantage in the job market.
2. A Syrian prisoner of war wept when he realized that the kibbutzim were not the ___________ he had 'known' them to be.
3. The Arab-Israeli dispute is _________, but fundamentalism fans the flames.
4. Rumors spread of a ___________ accomplice and foreign tourists fitting that description are rounded up for questioning.
5. Jews can not necessarily deal with the idea that modern __________ Arabs do not fit into their stereotypes.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
2. Why does the Arab side of the argument lack a spokesperson for reason?
3. What is the official Israeli myth which is dissected in the book which Shipler has written?
4. What is the second goal of Shipler for this book and for the understanding of the reader?
5. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
6. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
7. And finally, what is Shipler's third goal for this book and for the reading audience as a whole?
8. What did politicians do when a journalist documents forced expulsions from many parts of the country?
9. What do smugglers make sure that young Palestinians get in relation to the Jews?
10. What is the contradiction in opinion that Jews have about Arabs and their work ethic?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)