|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some Arabs make an intellectual effort to discredit Jewish claims to _______________ in the land.
(a) Authentic heritage.
(b) Places of worship.
2. Why wasn't King Hussein able to continue his vision for peace and stability in the area?
(a) His treaty was not ratified.
(b) He left the country.
(c) He died of cancer.
(d) He was assassinated.
3. Shipler traces _______ waves of settles, none of whom felt any mystical attraction to the land.
4. A Jewish lawyer tells Shipler that ___________ do not work on Arabs since they show no psychological signs of mendacity.
5. The opening of the chapter depicts an incident which took place on King _________ Street in Jerusalem.
Short Answer Questions
1. A tiny number of Israelis understand ________, which leads to paranoia.
2. A 13-year-old __________ boy is upset by the anti-Arab bigotry and is called a traitor, a PLO supporter and a communist.
3. Failing to understand the more reserved ____________ of the Ashkenazim, Arabs were unable to recognize authentic hospitality.
4. The Arab side if equally radicalized, but lacks a __________ for reason, like the Rabbi Hartman.
5. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
2. What do the Palestinians NOT do, even though many Jews say that they do?
3. Why does the Arab side of the argument lack a spokesperson for reason?
4. What does Rabbi Hartman have to say about religion at the start of this chapter?
5. What is the recurring theme in the examples that Shipler provides in terms of how the Arabs are portrayed in the media?
6. What is the second goal of Shipler for this book and for the understanding of the reader?
7. What is the contradiction in opinion that Jews have about Arabs and their work ethic?
8. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
9. Unless a two state solution can be found, what will the population of Arabs to Jews be in the coming years?
10. What do smugglers make sure that young Palestinians get in relation to the Jews?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)