|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Terrorism is meant to be ___________________, not intended to harm individual victims.
(c) A message.
2. Shipler plans to reveal the broad forces in the area which contribute to ______________.
3. The Arab-Israeli dispute is _________, but fundamentalism fans the flames.
4. Settlers referred to their occupation of the territories as ______________.
(c) God's will.
5. What is dangerously high for the Arab population, causing concern for the Jewish inhabitants?
(a) Violence rate.
(b) Birth rate.
(c) Rape rate.
(d) Death rate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Four heavily armed _________ seize a hostage and then release him and then are pursued by the mob around them.
2. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
3. Others charge that the Jews are agents of _______________, whether capitalistic or communist, and will distance Arabs from religious life.
4. Liberal Jews speak of fears for the integrity of the ____________ enterprise.
5. A Jewish lawyer tells Shipler that ___________ do not work on Arabs since they show no psychological signs of mendacity.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Shipler wandering in the streets at the start of this book and its narrative?
2. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
3. What do the Palestinians NOT do, even though many Jews say that they do?
4. What is the official Israeli myth which is dissected in the book which Shipler has written?
5. Where is the Israelis' rejection of Palestinianism shown, according to Shipler?
6. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
7. What do smugglers make sure that young Palestinians get in relation to the Jews?
8. What is the contradiction in opinion that Jews have about Arabs and their work ethic?
9. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
10. What does Rabbi Hartman have to say about religion at the start of this chapter?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)