|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shipler seeks to examine the interlocking ______________ that Jews and Arabs use to categorize each other.
2. _____________ do not practice polygamy and enforce veiling of women as some Jews believe.
3. What is dangerously high for the Arab population, causing concern for the Jewish inhabitants?
(a) Death rate.
(b) Violence rate.
(c) Rape rate.
(d) Birth rate.
4. The Arab side if equally radicalized, but lacks a __________ for reason, like the Rabbi Hartman.
5. The author observes that a "great tangle of nonsense grows from a seed of __________."
Short Answer Questions
1. In response to the celebrations of the Israelis, the Arabs began to celebrate al-Nakba, which is translated to mean what?
2. Westernized _________ tend to be the most susceptible to political radicalism.
3. As of the 2002 postscript, there is no lessening of the __________ desire to return to their homes.
4. A Jewish lawyer tells Shipler that ___________ do not work on Arabs since they show no psychological signs of mendacity.
5. Four heavily armed _________ seize a hostage and then release him and then are pursued by the mob around them.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when some of the people retreat to dogmatism in their thinking about the enemy?
2. What is the recurring theme in the examples that Shipler provides in terms of how the Arabs are portrayed in the media?
3. What does Shipler explain about the Middle Easterners and what they have felt they need to do?
4. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
5. Why does the virulent bigotry in books, fiction and journalism not have much affect on the Arabs?
6. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
7. What are some of the ways in which Jews typically stereotype Arabs as noted in the book?
8. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
9. The college age Palestinian who was taken prisoner by the Israeli patrol found out what during his imprisonment?
10. What does Freij tell Shipler about his feelings of the Jews in regards to culture?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)