|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Both sides are represented by the stories of families reaching back in the disputed __________ for generations.
2. ___________ arguments carry little weight, even among extreme West Bank settlers.
3. Failing to understand the more reserved ____________ of the Ashkenazim, Arabs were unable to recognize authentic hospitality.
4. Shipler ends the chapter by talking about the treatment of battle ______________ that afflicted many of the Israeli soldiers who fought in Lebanon.
5. A journalist states that ______ are so used to having enemies that hey are suspicious when someone tries to be their friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elias Freij sees growing on the crest of the hills a new Jewish neighborhood, _________, whose architecture is not at all rooted in the land.
2. A sociologist reports that in an integrated neighborhood, there is not tension, but there is notable ______________.
3. Others charge that the Jews are agents of _______________, whether capitalistic or communist, and will distance Arabs from religious life.
4. What is another name for the day on which the people honor the country's war dead?
5. Some Arabs make an intellectual effort to discredit Jewish claims to _______________ in the land.
Short Essay Questions
1. And finally, what is Shipler's third goal for this book and for the reading audience as a whole?
2. How are the Arab youth being affected by the actions of the Israeli police?
3. What happens when some of the people retreat to dogmatism in their thinking about the enemy?
4. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
5. What happens because there is too much bitterness among Arabs and Jews, according to Shipler?
6. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
7. What do Arabs have to say about Jews in their own stereotypes of this culture?
8. What do some scholars with whom Shipler speaks say in regards to most Muslims' understanding of their own book?
9. What is a 13-year-old Jewish boy called when he says that he is upset with the anti-Arab bigotry in his school?
10. What do the Palestinians NOT do, even though many Jews say that they do?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)