|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is thought that Arabs are practical in daily life, but exaggerated in their ___________ life.
2. Most Jews, even the well-educated and liberal ones, are so completely isolated from contact with _____________ that they can not fully understand the situation.
(a) Peace makers.
(c) Arab loving Jews.
3. Liberal Jews speak of fears for the integrity of the ____________ enterprise.
(a) Conservative Jews.
4. Freij does not hate the ____________, just what they do: introduce foreign culture which contaminates the Arabs' ancient culture.
5. Who are considered to be fearsome, violent, immensely strong, cruel and cowardly?
Short Answer Questions
1. _____________ is a nationalistic movement, whose political agenda is in continuity with the lamentation of the Jews exiled to Bablyon.
2. The official ___________ myth is that 700,000 Arabs fled their homes in 1948, freely giving up their rights.
3. Why wasn't King Hussein able to continue his vision for peace and stability in the area?
4. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
5. Shipler explains that Middle Easterners have always felt the need to pigeonhole new acquaintances by their __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Shipler discusses the naivety of what official Israeli strategy as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations?
2. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
3. And finally, what is Shipler's third goal for this book and for the reading audience as a whole?
4. Unless a two state solution can be found, what will the population of Arabs to Jews be in the coming years?
5. How are the Arab youth being affected by the actions of the Israeli police?
6. Why does the Arab side of the argument lack a spokesperson for reason?
7. Why does the 12-year-old Palestinian in Jabalya have no past and no future, according to Shipler?
8. What is the first goal of Shipler as he strives to create a main discussion for this book?
9. What is the second goal of Shipler for this book and for the understanding of the reader?
10. What is the official Israeli myth which is dissected in the book which Shipler has written?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)