|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The opening at the beginning of the book is a wandering of the streets of ____________ from sunrise to high noon.
2. Shipler traces _______ waves of settles, none of whom felt any mystical attraction to the land.
3. The labeling on ___________ published by both sides in textbooks continues to make clear that neither side yet accepts the reality that neither can covet the whole of the land.
4. Shipler explains that Middle Easterners have always felt the need to pigeonhole new acquaintances by their __________.
(d) Skin color.
5. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
(d) Refugee camps.
Short Answer Questions
1. But wealthy Jews also detest Arabs for being ___________ in attitude when they are regularly employed.
2. Shipler seeks to unravel the complexities of interaction by which the tiny minority of high-minded individuals strive to bridge the gap of ___________.
3. The college age Palestinian who was caught by Israeli patrol feared ___________, but experienced something different.
4. There is fear, but also ________ in the way that Israeli Jews view the Arab.
5. Children tend to parrot the generalizations they hear and see, thus all __________ are Kahane and all Jews kill Arabs in refugee camps.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Arabs have to say about Jews in their own stereotypes of this culture?
2. What does Shipler claim about Jerusalem at the time he and his family lived there in regards to its safety?
3. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
4. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
5. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
6. What is the contradiction in opinion that Jews have about Arabs and their work ethic?
7. What are some of the ways in which Jews typically stereotype Arabs as noted in the book?
8. Where was Shipler wandering in the streets at the start of this book and its narrative?
9. What are almost all mixed marriages comprised of in terms of gender and religion?
10. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)