|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Both sides are represented by the stories of families reaching back in the disputed __________ for generations.
2. Shipler talks with several participants in a program called Interns for _______.
3. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
4. In response to the celebrations of the Israelis, the Arabs began to celebrate al-Nakba, which is translated to mean what?
(a) The Catastrophe.
(b) The Peace Cry.
(c) The Celebration.
(d) The Witness.
5. The __________ are the Zionists who founded Israel and control the government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for the day on which the people honor the country's war dead?
2. Shipler seeks to examine the interlocking ______________ that Jews and Arabs use to categorize each other.
3. Laura Franklin notes that it's true that __________ are dirty and sweaty at work, but that their homes are immaculate.
4. Shipler claims that at the time he and his family lived in Jerusalem, it was safer than _____________.
5. A sociologist reports that in an integrated neighborhood, there is not tension, but there is notable ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when some of the people retreat to dogmatism in their thinking about the enemy?
2. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
3. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
4. Why do some Jews oppose any vote for Israeli-Arabs?
5. What are some of the ways in which Jews typically stereotype Arabs as noted in the book?
6. What is the second goal of Shipler for this book and for the understanding of the reader?
7. What is the first goal of Shipler as he strives to create a main discussion for this book?
8. And finally, what is Shipler's third goal for this book and for the reading audience as a whole?
9. Who did Shipler visit each time he went to Israel in 1993 and in 2001?
10. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)