|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Arab-Israeli dispute is _________, but fundamentalism fans the flames.
2. ___________ arguments carry little weight, even among extreme West Bank settlers.
3. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
4. Shipler does admit to finding much _______________ among the Arabs he visits, but little of the systematic vindictiveness described in the previous chapter.
5. Rarely, Shipler notes, does terrorism become an effective tool as it quickly becomes _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The opening at the beginning of the book is a wandering of the streets of ____________ from sunrise to high noon.
2. The 2002 _____________ shows that the area in the Middle East is growing steadily more complex and explosive.
3. Rumors spread of a ___________ accomplice and foreign tourists fitting that description are rounded up for questioning.
4. Liberal Jews speak of fears for the integrity of the ____________ enterprise.
5. Hartman states that biblical people are ______________, which can turn religion into a force of evil.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
2. Why does the virulent bigotry in books, fiction and journalism not have much affect on the Arabs?
3. Where was Shipler wandering in the streets at the start of this book and its narrative?
4. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
5. What does Shipler explain about the Middle Easterners and what they have felt they need to do?
6. Why does the Arab side of the argument lack a spokesperson for reason?
7. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
8. What is the first goal of Shipler as he strives to create a main discussion for this book?
9. What does Rabbi Hartman have to say about religion at the start of this chapter?
10. The college age Palestinian who was taken prisoner by the Israeli patrol found out what during his imprisonment?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)