|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Violence and counter violence have become not just byproducts of political battles, but also the origin of new __________.
(b) Terrorist acts.
2. It is believed that ______________ changed the Jews.
(b) The Torah.
(c) The Zionists.
3. The official ___________ myth is that 700,000 Arabs fled their homes in 1948, freely giving up their rights.
4. Shipler notes that a shift in tactics to assaults on select individuals backfired when applied to ___________ in the West Bank.
(b) Arab Muslims.
5. Both sides are represented by the stories of families reaching back in the disputed __________ for generations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sometimes, being ____________ is advantageous because there is no legacy of long standing antagonism.
2. The book decides to show revelations about an area of the world which is too easy to ______________.
3. Israeli children grow up with the lasting impression that Arabs are a colorful, menacing _____________.
4. The college age Palestinian who was caught by Israeli patrol feared ___________, but experienced something different.
5. A 1984 commuter bus hijacking occurred, but the Israeli military censors imposed a complete _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Shipler discusses the naivety of what official Israeli strategy as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations?
2. What is the first goal of Shipler as he strives to create a main discussion for this book?
3. What happens when the Israelis grow too grand to perform manual labor in their society?
4. What do smugglers make sure that young Palestinians get in relation to the Jews?
5. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
6. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
7. What is the official Israeli myth which is dissected in the book which Shipler has written?
8. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
9. What is the recurring theme in the examples that Shipler provides in terms of how the Arabs are portrayed in the media?
10. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)