|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hartman states that biblical people are ______________, which can turn religion into a force of evil.
(c) Close minded.
2. Jews can not necessarily deal with the idea that modern __________ Arabs do not fit into their stereotypes.
3. The opening of the chapter depicts an incident which took place on King _________ Street in Jerusalem.
4. There is too much bitterness between the Arabs and the Jews for them to generate ________ about themselves or each other.
5. Shipler explains that Middle Easterners have always felt the need to pigeonhole new acquaintances by their __________.
(c) Skin color.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freij does not hate the ____________, just what they do: introduce foreign culture which contaminates the Arabs' ancient culture.
2. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
3. A 13-year-old __________ boy is upset by the anti-Arab bigotry and is called a traitor, a PLO supporter and a communist.
4. Both sides are represented by the stories of families reaching back in the disputed __________ for generations.
5. The __________ are the Zionists who founded Israel and control the government.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as a result of rumors being spread of a female accomplice in the hostage situation at the start of the chapter?
2. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
3. How are the Arab youth being affected by the actions of the Israeli police?
4. Where does Shipler note that the stereotypes of Arabs are depicted in the everyday culture?
5. What is the contradiction in opinion that Jews have about Arabs and their work ethic?
6. What happens when the Israelis grow too grand to perform manual labor in their society?
7. Why does the 12-year-old Palestinian in Jabalya have no past and no future, according to Shipler?
8. Shipler discusses the naivety of what official Israeli strategy as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations?
9. What is the second goal of Shipler for this book and for the understanding of the reader?
10. Where is the Israelis' rejection of Palestinianism shown, according to Shipler?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)