|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Both sides, it seems to Shipler, have many ________, making a discussion of them all the more difficult.
2. Others charge that the Jews are agents of _______________, whether capitalistic or communist, and will distance Arabs from religious life.
3. _____________ do not practice polygamy and enforce veiling of women as some Jews believe.
4. Acts of violence lead to ___________, worst case assumptions and calls for retribution.
5. The expulsion of all ____________ from the city is demanded as a result of the incident in Jerusalem.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler explains that Middle Easterners have always felt the need to pigeonhole new acquaintances by their __________.
2. A tiny number of Israelis understand ________, which leads to paranoia.
3. Shipler fears that Arab youth are being affected by the Israeli ___________ using strong arm tactics in the presence of youth.
4. Failing to understand the more reserved ____________ of the Ashkenazim, Arabs were unable to recognize authentic hospitality.
5. The King Hussein of _______ vows to work for peace and for security in the area.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
2. Why does the Arab side of the argument lack a spokesperson for reason?
3. Why does the 12-year-old Palestinian in Jabalya have no past and no future, according to Shipler?
4. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
5. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
6. What happens as a result of rumors being spread of a female accomplice in the hostage situation at the start of the chapter?
7. What is the second goal of Shipler for this book and for the understanding of the reader?
8. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
9. What is the official Israeli myth which is dissected in the book which Shipler has written?
10. Where was Shipler wandering in the streets at the start of this book and its narrative?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)