|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Both sides are represented by the stories of families reaching back in the disputed __________ for generations.
2. _____________ is a nationalistic movement, whose political agenda is in continuity with the lamentation of the Jews exiled to Bablyon.
(c) Muslim pride.
3. Shipler concludes that only one side celebrates the liberation of _______________.
4. A 13-year-old __________ boy is upset by the anti-Arab bigotry and is called a traitor, a PLO supporter and a communist.
5. Failing to understand the more reserved ____________ of the Ashkenazim, Arabs were unable to recognize authentic hospitality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler describes life in the Dheisheh __________ on the occupied West Bank where every aspect of life instills militancy in youth.
2. What is the only integrated community in Israel, according to this chapter?
3. The college age Palestinian who was caught by Israeli patrol feared ___________, but experienced something different.
4. Shipler notes that a shift in tactics to assaults on select individuals backfired when applied to ___________ in the West Bank.
5. Children taught only caution in dealing with __________ more often grow to fear and hate them.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
2. What is the official Israeli myth which is dissected in the book which Shipler has written?
3. What does Freij tell Shipler about his feelings of the Jews in regards to culture?
4. What does Shipler mean when he discusses the idea of 'culture of the desert'?
5. What happens when some of the people retreat to dogmatism in their thinking about the enemy?
6. What happens because there is too much bitterness among Arabs and Jews, according to Shipler?
7. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
8. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
9. What does Rabbi Hartman have to say about religion at the start of this chapter?
10. Where is the Israelis' rejection of Palestinianism shown, according to Shipler?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)