|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Arab-Israeli dispute is _________, but fundamentalism fans the flames.
2. The 2002 _____________ shows that the area in the Middle East is growing steadily more complex and explosive.
(a) Peace treaty.
3. Settlers referred to their occupation of the territories as ______________.
(b) God's will.
4. The college age Palestinian who was caught by Israeli patrol feared ___________, but experienced something different.
5. Shipler examines both sides' abandonment of the common ____________ of the desert.
Short Answer Questions
1. Settlers also were determined to establish a purely ___________ way of life where they now resided.
2. Most Jews, even the well-educated and liberal ones, are so completely isolated from contact with _____________ that they can not fully understand the situation.
3. There is fear, but also ________ in the way that Israeli Jews view the Arab.
4. Shipler concludes that only one side celebrates the liberation of _______________.
5. Shipler begins to describe the history of the Palestinian and the Israeli ________ to help the reader gain perspective.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens because there is too much bitterness among Arabs and Jews, according to Shipler?
2. What do the Palestinians NOT do, even though many Jews say that they do?
3. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
4. What do Arabs have to say about Jews in their own stereotypes of this culture?
5. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
6. What does Freij tell Shipler about his feelings of the Jews in regards to culture?
7. What happens when some of the people retreat to dogmatism in their thinking about the enemy?
8. How are the Arab youth being affected by the actions of the Israeli police?
9. What leads to paranoia about what might be said by Arabs on the television or on the radio?
10. What happens as a result of rumors being spread of a female accomplice in the hostage situation at the start of the chapter?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)