|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Freij does not hate the ____________, just what they do: introduce foreign culture which contaminates the Arabs' ancient culture.
2. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
3. Shipler deals with the Jewish stereotype that Arabs are violent, uncivilized ___________.
4. Critics see no need to meet the enemy personally as they already know what ___________ are like.
5. During the takeover of the West Bank and Jerusalem in 1967, Arabs were surprised by how ___________ they were treated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler talks with several participants in a program called Interns for _______.
2. A sociologist reports that in an integrated neighborhood, there is not tension, but there is notable ______________.
3. Schools on both sides, Shipler says, continue to deal selectively with the creation of Israel, the ____________ of the conflict.
4. Settlers also were determined to establish a purely ___________ way of life where they now resided.
5. _____________ do not practice polygamy and enforce veiling of women as some Jews believe.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shipler discuss as being the goal of terrorism amongst the Jews and Arabs?
2. Why does the virulent bigotry in books, fiction and journalism not have much affect on the Arabs?
3. And finally, what is Shipler's third goal for this book and for the reading audience as a whole?
4. Why is it said that conflict is comfortable to both sides of this area?
5. What do smugglers make sure that young Palestinians get in relation to the Jews?
6. What does the two day celebration of the Day of Remembrance celebrate according to the book?
7. Why does the Arab side of the argument lack a spokesperson for reason?
8. What does Shipler explain about the Middle Easterners and what they have felt they need to do?
9. Where is the Israelis' rejection of Palestinianism shown, according to Shipler?
10. What is the official Israeli myth which is dissected in the book which Shipler has written?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)