|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The twelve-year-old Palestinian notes that he has no ________ and no future.
(c) Sense of belonging.
2. The opening at the beginning of the book is a wandering of the streets of ____________ from sunrise to high noon.
3. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
4. Israeli hardliners play up the power of the Arabs, lest others try to understand their ____________.
5. _____________ do not practice polygamy and enforce veiling of women as some Jews believe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Children tend to parrot the generalizations they hear and see, thus all __________ are Kahane and all Jews kill Arabs in refugee camps.
2. Israeli children grow up with the lasting impression that Arabs are a colorful, menacing _____________.
3. Westernized _________ tend to be the most susceptible to political radicalism.
4. A Syrian prisoner of war wept when he realized that the kibbutzim were not the ___________ he had 'known' them to be.
5. The author observes that a "great tangle of nonsense grows from a seed of __________."
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Arabs and Jews are paired up and given large sheets of paper on which to paint?
2. Why is sexual experimentation with Jewish girls attractive to Muslim males?
3. What is the contradiction in opinion that Jews have about Arabs and their work ethic?
4. Why do the Bedouin light a small fire as soon as they stop in a given place?
5. Why are there no statistics on the intermarriages between Arabs and Jews?
6. What does Shipler say a great tangle of nonsense grows from in this chapter?
7. Why it is sometimes advantageous to be an outsider, according to Shipler?
8. What does the Proclamation of Independence call on Arabs to do?
9. What does Shipler explain about the Middle Easterners and what they have felt they need to do?
10. Why was the rise of Islam the most significant external influence on the Jews, according to Shipler?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)