|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Those who are citizens of _________ are less feared than those people in the West Bank.
2. Israeli Jews have mixed feelings about war's ________, whereas Arabs allow the Islamic concept of jihad.
3. The official Israeli strategy is to destroy the ___________ as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations.
(b) Media coverage.
4. The Arab side if equally radicalized, but lacks a __________ for reason, like the Rabbi Hartman.
5. Shipler discusses censored passages from the ___________'s memoir shoring that the brutality was hardly unintentional.
(a) Field commander.
(b) Commander's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. _____________ is a nationalistic movement, whose political agenda is in continuity with the lamentation of the Jews exiled to Bablyon.
2. Israeli authorities monitor ___________ prayers in the mosques, warning imams not to preach on controversial subjects.
3. Shipler looks at the current textbooks and sees that there are no dialogues, just inflammatory ____________.
4. Shipler talks with several participants in a program called Interns for _______.
5. A social studies teacher tells Shipler that the Jewish attitude is that 'we can do whatever we _________ with the Arabs."
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when some of the people retreat to dogmatism in their thinking about the enemy?
2. Shipler discusses the naivety of what official Israeli strategy as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations?
3. Why does the 12-year-old Palestinian in Jabalya have no past and no future, according to Shipler?
4. What are some of the ways in which the Israeli Jews see the Arabs, sometimes being disgusted and yet infatuated?
5. What is the second goal of Shipler for this book and for the understanding of the reader?
6. What do the Palestinians NOT do, even though many Jews say that they do?
7. Where is the Israelis' rejection of Palestinianism shown, according to Shipler?
8. How do Jews seem to differentiate among Arabs according to survey data that Shipler examines?
9. What are some of the ways in which Jews typically stereotype Arabs as noted in the book?
10. What happens because there is too much bitterness among Arabs and Jews, according to Shipler?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)