|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At this time of the first edition of this book, which flag was outlawed in terms of being permitted to be displayed?
2. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
(c) Saudi Arabia.
(d) Refugee camps.
3. When the enemy has no _______________, it makes the hatred and bigotry easier.
4. What is another name for the day on which the people honor the country's war dead?
(a) Treatise Day.
(b) Memorial Day.
(c) Jihad Day.
(d) Independence Day.
5. Shipler seeks to examine the interlocking ______________ that Jews and Arabs use to categorize each other.
6. Interviews with Palestinians showed disappointment with the efforts to improve the people's plight by the ____________________.
(a) Palestinian Authority.
(b) European mediation.
(c) Oslo Convention.
(d) Arab Nations.
7. A tiny number of Israelis understand ________, which leads to paranoia.
(a) Cultural differences.
8. The opening of the chapter depicts an incident which took place on King _________ Street in Jerusalem.
9. To improve the condition of the _________ would lesson the tension necessary to achieve statehood.
10. Shipler examines both sides' abandonment of the common ____________ of the desert.
11. Both sides are represented by the stories of families reaching back in the disputed __________ for generations.
12. Shipler claims that at the time he and his family lived in Jerusalem, it was safer than _____________.
(c) New York City.
13. Four heavily armed _________ seize a hostage and then release him and then are pursued by the mob around them.
14. Shipler seeks to unravel the complexities of interaction by which the tiny minority of high-minded individuals strive to bridge the gap of ___________.
15. Violence and counter violence have become not just byproducts of political battles, but also the origin of new __________.
(d) Terrorist acts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Acts of violence lead to ___________, worst case assumptions and calls for retribution.
2. Many Arabs can not deal with Jews whose own _________ prevent contact and study.
3. There is fear, but also ________ in the way that Israeli Jews view the Arab.
4. Rumors spread of a ___________ accomplice and foreign tourists fitting that description are rounded up for questioning.
5. Westernized _________ tend to be the most susceptible to political radicalism.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)