|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The twelve-year-old Palestinian notes that he has no ________ and no future.
(b) Sense of belonging.
2. At this time of the first edition of this book, which flag was outlawed in terms of being permitted to be displayed?
3. Shipler ends the chapter by talking about the treatment of battle ______________ that afflicted many of the Israeli soldiers who fought in Lebanon.
4. A Lebanese woman opposed her father's speech, thanking the ___________ for liberating them from the PLO.
(a) Israeli army.
(d) Arab army.
5. But wealthy Jews also detest Arabs for being ___________ in attitude when they are regularly employed.
6. Opinion polls in 2002 fluctuated around the 50% mark among Israelis over whether they could accept an independent ___________ state next door.
7. Rumors spread of a ___________ accomplice and foreign tourists fitting that description are rounded up for questioning.
(b) Asian male.
(d) Caucasian male.
8. Interviews with Palestinians showed disappointment with the efforts to improve the people's plight by the ____________________.
(a) Palestinian Authority.
(b) European mediation.
(c) Arab Nations.
(d) Oslo Convention.
9. Shipler wonders whether if his son had been killed during the incident if he would have hated all ____________ and craved revenge.
10. Hartman states that biblical people are ______________, which can turn religion into a force of evil.
(a) Close minded.
11. Shipler describes how a _____________ prisoner was surprised when he could not discern any difference between a Sephardic and Ashkenazi guard.
12. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
(c) Refugee camps.
13. A 13-year-old __________ boy is upset by the anti-Arab bigotry and is called a traitor, a PLO supporter and a communist.
14. Children taught only caution in dealing with __________ more often grow to fear and hate them.
15. Who are considered to be fearsome, violent, immensely strong, cruel and cowardly?
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler deals with the Jewish stereotype that Arabs are violent, uncivilized ___________.
2. Schools on both sides, Shipler says, continue to deal selectively with the creation of Israel, the ____________ of the conflict.
3. The 2002 _____________ shows that the area in the Middle East is growing steadily more complex and explosive.
4. Wealthy Jews deride the Arabs as being ____________ and about being lazy.
5. As of the 2002 postscript, there is no lessening of the __________ desire to return to their homes.
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)