|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are considered to be fearsome, violent, immensely strong, cruel and cowardly?
2. What is dangerously high for the Arab population, causing concern for the Jewish inhabitants?
(a) Death rate.
(b) Birth rate.
(c) Rape rate.
(d) Violence rate.
3. Shipler plans to reveal the broad forces in the area which contribute to ______________.
4. Shipler focuses on the variety of ____________ at the Damascus Gate at the start of the book.
5. The college age Palestinian who was caught by Israeli patrol feared ___________, but experienced something different.
6. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
7. A Lebanese woman opposed her father's speech, thanking the ___________ for liberating them from the PLO.
(c) Arab army.
(d) Israeli army.
8. Only a small percentage of Israelis identify themselves as _____________.
9. Failing to understand the more reserved ____________ of the Ashkenazim, Arabs were unable to recognize authentic hospitality.
10. A Jewish lawyer tells Shipler that ___________ do not work on Arabs since they show no psychological signs of mendacity.
11. Shipler traces _______ waves of settles, none of whom felt any mystical attraction to the land.
12. The book decides to show revelations about an area of the world which is too easy to ______________.
13. Shipler talks with several participants in a program called Interns for _______.
14. Liberal Jews speak of fears for the integrity of the ____________ enterprise.
(c) Conservative Jews.
15. ____________ is comfortable to both sides as everyone knows unambiguously whom to hate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler describes life in the Dheisheh __________ on the occupied West Bank where every aspect of life instills militancy in youth.
2. Elias Freij sees growing on the crest of the hills a new Jewish neighborhood, _________, whose architecture is not at all rooted in the land.
3. But wealthy Jews also detest Arabs for being ___________ in attitude when they are regularly employed.
4. Both sides are represented by the stories of families reaching back in the disputed __________ for generations.
5. There is too much bitterness between the Arabs and the Jews for them to generate ________ about themselves or each other.
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)