|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elias Freij sees growing on the crest of the hills a new Jewish neighborhood, _________, whose architecture is not at all rooted in the land.
2. Shipler claims that at the time he and his family lived in Jerusalem, it was safer than _____________.
(c) New York City.
3. Settlers also were determined to establish a purely ___________ way of life where they now resided.
4. Shipler seeks to catalog the ___________ each side has of the other side.
5. The 2002 _____________ shows that the area in the Middle East is growing steadily more complex and explosive.
(a) Peace treaty.
6. ____________ is comfortable to both sides as everyone knows unambiguously whom to hate.
7. The __________ are the Zionists who founded Israel and control the government.
8. __________ abounds on both sides, established by decades of war and terror, and individuals vary in how bigoted or tolerant they are.
9. The expulsion of all ____________ from the city is demanded as a result of the incident in Jerusalem.
10. Israeli Jews have mixed feelings about war's ________, whereas Arabs allow the Islamic concept of jihad.
11. The Arab-Israeli dispute is _________, but fundamentalism fans the flames.
12. Power is decidedly one sided - _________ have it and the ____________ do not.
(a) Both; both.
(b) Arabs; Jews.
(c) Neither; neither.
(d) Jews; Arabs.
13. A 1984 commuter bus hijacking occurred, but the Israeli military censors imposed a complete _____________.
(b) Press coverage.
(d) List of demands.
14. Wealthy Jews deride the Arabs as being ____________ and about being lazy.
15. Critics see no need to meet the enemy personally as they already know what ___________ are like.
Short Answer Questions
1. Both sides are represented by the stories of families reaching back in the disputed __________ for generations.
2. Israelis were disappointed that the Arab TV show wasn't broadcast in the West so that the viewers could see how _______ the Arabs are.
3. Westernized _________ tend to be the most susceptible to political radicalism.
4. Rabbi David Hartman is a ___________ philosopher who states that religion is naturally reactionary.
5. To improve the condition of the _________ would lesson the tension necessary to achieve statehood.
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)