|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is believed that ______________ changed the Jews.
(b) The Torah.
(d) The Zionists.
2. ___________ arguments carry little weight, even among extreme West Bank settlers.
3. Why wasn't King Hussein able to continue his vision for peace and stability in the area?
(a) He left the country.
(b) His treaty was not ratified.
(c) He died of cancer.
(d) He was assassinated.
4. Many Arabs can not deal with Jews whose own _________ prevent contact and study.
5. Shipler plans to reveal the broad forces in the area which contribute to ______________.
6. Settlers referred to their occupation of the territories as ______________.
(b) God's will.
7. The college age Palestinian who was caught by Israeli patrol feared ___________, but experienced something different.
8. A social studies teacher tells Shipler that the Jewish attitude is that 'we can do whatever we _________ with the Arabs."
9. What is another name for the day on which the people honor the country's war dead?
(a) Treatise Day.
(b) Independence Day.
(c) Jihad Day.
(d) Memorial Day.
10. Most Jews, even the well-educated and liberal ones, are so completely isolated from contact with _____________ that they can not fully understand the situation.
(a) Arab loving Jews.
(b) Peace makers.
11. There is fear, but also ________ in the way that Israeli Jews view the Arab.
12. Power is decidedly one sided - _________ have it and the ____________ do not.
(a) Arabs; Jews.
(b) Both; both.
(c) Jews; Arabs.
(d) Neither; neither.
13. The King Hussein of _______ vows to work for peace and for security in the area.
(d) Saudi Arabia.
14. Critics see no need to meet the enemy personally as they already know what ___________ are like.
15. Liberal Jews speak of fears for the integrity of the ____________ enterprise.
(c) Conservative Jews.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Jewish lawyer tells Shipler that ___________ do not work on Arabs since they show no psychological signs of mendacity.
2. Israeli children grow up with the lasting impression that Arabs are a colorful, menacing _____________.
3. The book decides to show revelations about an area of the world which is too easy to ______________.
4. Rabbi David Hartman is a ___________ philosopher who states that religion is naturally reactionary.
5. Shipler claims that at the time he and his family lived in Jerusalem, it was safer than _____________.
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)