|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author observes that a "great tangle of nonsense grows from a seed of __________."
2. Shipler ends the chapter by talking about the treatment of battle ______________ that afflicted many of the Israeli soldiers who fought in Lebanon.
3. Shipler examines both sides' abandonment of the common ____________ of the desert.
4. The __________ are the Zionists who founded Israel and control the government.
5. Through contact with individual __________, Arabs often soften their stance and realize the danger of their stereotyping.
6. Jews can not necessarily deal with the idea that modern __________ Arabs do not fit into their stereotypes.
7. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
8. Both sides are represented by the stories of families reaching back in the disputed __________ for generations.
9. Shipler traces _______ waves of settles, none of whom felt any mystical attraction to the land.
10. Who are considered to be fearsome, violent, immensely strong, cruel and cowardly?
11. To improve the condition of the _________ would lesson the tension necessary to achieve statehood.
12. The Arab-Israeli dispute is _________, but fundamentalism fans the flames.
13. Many Arabs can not deal with Jews whose own _________ prevent contact and study.
14. What is another name for the day on which the people honor the country's war dead?
(a) Jihad Day.
(b) Independence Day.
(c) Treatise Day.
(d) Memorial Day.
15. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
(c) Refugee camps.
Short Answer Questions
1. The twelve-year-old Palestinian notes that he has no ________ and no future.
2. Shipler does admit to finding much _______________ among the Arabs he visits, but little of the systematic vindictiveness described in the previous chapter.
3. As of the 2002 postscript, there is no lessening of the __________ desire to return to their homes.
4. Some young upper class Arabs try to escape their _______ ways and try to emulate the West.
5. A sociologist reports that in an integrated neighborhood, there is not tension, but there is notable ______________.
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)