|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shipler claims that at the time he and his family lived in Jerusalem, it was safer than _____________.
(a) New York City.
2. Both sides, it seems to Shipler, have many ________, making a discussion of them all the more difficult.
3. Shipler concludes that only one side celebrates the liberation of _______________.
4. Shipler seeks to examine the interlocking ______________ that Jews and Arabs use to categorize each other.
5. Shipler discusses censored passages from the ___________'s memoir shoring that the brutality was hardly unintentional.
(a) Commander's wife.
(c) Field commander.
6. Shipler notes that _________ among Arabs is so high that it is unlikely that the virulent bigotry has much affect on Arabic minds.
(b) Religious practice.
(c) Peaceful aspiration.
7. Children tend to parrot the generalizations they hear and see, thus all __________ are Kahane and all Jews kill Arabs in refugee camps.
8. The colonel tells the woman that he agrees that the Palestinians deserve self - ____________.
(b) Service peace treaties.
(c) Controlled lands.
9. A 1984 commuter bus hijacking occurred, but the Israeli military censors imposed a complete _____________.
(b) List of demands.
(d) Press coverage.
10. Shipler begins to describe the history of the Palestinian and the Israeli ________ to help the reader gain perspective.
11. Shipler describes life in the Dheisheh __________ on the occupied West Bank where every aspect of life instills militancy in youth.
12. It is thought that Arabs are practical in daily life, but exaggerated in their ___________ life.
13. The opening at the beginning of the book is a wandering of the streets of ____________ from sunrise to high noon.
14. The 2002 _____________ shows that the area in the Middle East is growing steadily more complex and explosive.
(d) Peace treaty.
15. The Lebanese women opposes a _________________ between Israel and Lebanon because this would result in an expansion of the Jewish state.
(d) Peace treaty.
Short Answer Questions
1. "If you have ______________, you must find a way to make peace..."
2. Why wasn't King Hussein able to continue his vision for peace and stability in the area?
3. A tiny number of Israelis understand ________, which leads to paranoia.
4. The college age Palestinian who was caught by Israeli patrol feared ___________, but experienced something different.
5. Children taught only caution in dealing with __________ more often grow to fear and hate them.
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)