|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There is a profound resentment that Arab youth are exempt from ____________, which gives them an advantage in the job market.
(a) Military service.
(d) Language classes.
2. Shipler seeks to catalog the ___________ each side has of the other side.
3. Hartman states that biblical people are ______________, which can turn religion into a force of evil.
(c) Close minded.
4. Shipler ends the chapter by talking about the treatment of battle ______________ that afflicted many of the Israeli soldiers who fought in Lebanon.
5. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
6. The labeling on ___________ published by both sides in textbooks continues to make clear that neither side yet accepts the reality that neither can covet the whole of the land.
7. Israelis were disappointed that the Arab TV show wasn't broadcast in the West so that the viewers could see how _______ the Arabs are.
8. Some Arabs make an intellectual effort to discredit Jewish claims to _______________ in the land.
(b) Places of worship.
(d) Authentic heritage.
9. Schools on both sides, Shipler says, continue to deal selectively with the creation of Israel, the ____________ of the conflict.
(a) Patient zero.
(b) High point.
(c) Original sin.
10. _____________ do not practice polygamy and enforce veiling of women as some Jews believe.
11. The opening of the chapter depicts an incident which took place on King _________ Street in Jerusalem.
12. It is thought that Arabs are practical in daily life, but exaggerated in their ___________ life.
13. Most Jews, even the well-educated and liberal ones, are so completely isolated from contact with _____________ that they can not fully understand the situation.
(a) Arab loving Jews.
(d) Peace makers.
14. _____________ is a nationalistic movement, whose political agenda is in continuity with the lamentation of the Jews exiled to Bablyon.
(c) Muslim pride.
15. Some young upper class Arabs try to escape their _______ ways and try to emulate the West.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jews can not necessarily deal with the idea that modern __________ Arabs do not fit into their stereotypes.
2. The opening of this chapter talks about the two day celebration of the Day of ____________.
3. Critics see no need to meet the enemy personally as they already know what ___________ are like.
4. Westernized _________ tend to be the most susceptible to political radicalism.
5. Shipler focuses on the variety of ____________ at the Damascus Gate at the start of the book.
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)