|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A Lebanese woman opposed her father's speech, thanking the ___________ for liberating them from the PLO.
(b) Arab army.
(d) Israeli army.
2. The opening of this chapter talks about the two day celebration of the Day of ____________.
3. Opinion polls in 2002 fluctuated around the 50% mark among Israelis over whether they could accept an independent ___________ state next door.
4. Israelis were disappointed that the Arab TV show wasn't broadcast in the West so that the viewers could see how _______ the Arabs are.
5. Only a small percentage of Israelis identify themselves as _____________.
6. Critics see no need to meet the enemy personally as they already know what ___________ are like.
7. The official Israeli strategy is to destroy the ___________ as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations.
(b) Media coverage.
8. ____________ is comfortable to both sides as everyone knows unambiguously whom to hate.
9. The college age Palestinian who was caught by Israeli patrol feared ___________, but experienced something different.
10. "If you have ______________, you must find a way to make peace..."
(a) An enemy.
(b) An argument.
(c) A problem.
(d) A question.
11. A Jewish lawyer tells Shipler that ___________ do not work on Arabs since they show no psychological signs of mendacity.
12. Schools on both sides, Shipler says, continue to deal selectively with the creation of Israel, the ____________ of the conflict.
(a) Patient zero.
(c) Original sin.
(d) High point.
13. There is fear, but also ________ in the way that Israeli Jews view the Arab.
14. A Syrian prisoner of war wept when he realized that the kibbutzim were not the ___________ he had 'known' them to be.
(a) War camps.
(c) Terrorism cells.
(d) Centers of worship.
15. A sociologist reports that in an integrated neighborhood, there is not tension, but there is notable ______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are considered to be fearsome, violent, immensely strong, cruel and cowardly?
2. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
3. Why wasn't King Hussein able to continue his vision for peace and stability in the area?
4. Shipler seeks to unravel the complexities of interaction by which the tiny minority of high-minded individuals strive to bridge the gap of ___________.
5. Those who are citizens of _________ are less feared than those people in the West Bank.
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)