|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Schools on both sides, Shipler says, continue to deal selectively with the creation of Israel, the ____________ of the conflict.
(b) High point.
(c) Patient zero.
(d) Original sin.
2. Elias Freij sees growing on the crest of the hills a new Jewish neighborhood, _________, whose architecture is not at all rooted in the land.
3. Settlers also were determined to establish a purely ___________ way of life where they now resided.
4. The King Hussein of _______ vows to work for peace and for security in the area.
(b) Saudi Arabia.
5. Both sides, it seems to Shipler, have many ________, making a discussion of them all the more difficult.
6. A 1984 commuter bus hijacking occurred, but the Israeli military censors imposed a complete _____________.
(a) List of demands.
(c) Press coverage.
7. A journalist states that ______ are so used to having enemies that hey are suspicious when someone tries to be their friend.
8. Shipler notes that _________ among Arabs is so high that it is unlikely that the virulent bigotry has much affect on Arabic minds.
(a) Peaceful aspiration.
(b) Religious practice.
9. The Arab-Israeli dispute is _________, but fundamentalism fans the flames.
10. A Jewish lawyer tells Shipler that ___________ do not work on Arabs since they show no psychological signs of mendacity.
11. Sometimes, being ____________ is advantageous because there is no legacy of long standing antagonism.
(a) A woman.
(b) An outsider.
12. Failing to understand the more reserved ____________ of the Ashkenazim, Arabs were unable to recognize authentic hospitality.
13. At this time of the first edition of this book, which flag was outlawed in terms of being permitted to be displayed?
14. To improve the condition of the _________ would lesson the tension necessary to achieve statehood.
15. When the enemy has no _______________, it makes the hatred and bigotry easier.
Short Answer Questions
1. "If you have ______________, you must find a way to make peace..."
2. The Arab side if equally radicalized, but lacks a __________ for reason, like the Rabbi Hartman.
3. __________ abounds on both sides, established by decades of war and terror, and individuals vary in how bigoted or tolerant they are.
4. Critics see no need to meet the enemy personally as they already know what ___________ are like.
5. Rabbi David Hartman is a ___________ philosopher who states that religion is naturally reactionary.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)