|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Jewish feel that the Arabs understand only a language of __________ and soft-handed policies will fail.
2. At this time of the first edition of this book, which flag was outlawed in terms of being permitted to be displayed?
3. A tiny number of Israelis understand ________, which leads to paranoia.
(b) Cultural differences.
4. Most Jews, even the well-educated and liberal ones, are so completely isolated from contact with _____________ that they can not fully understand the situation.
(a) Arab loving Jews.
(d) Peace makers.
5. The colonel tells the woman that he agrees that the Palestinians deserve self - ____________.
(a) Controlled lands.
(b) Service peace treaties.
6. Westernized _________ tend to be the most susceptible to political radicalism.
7. The opening of the chapter depicts an incident which took place on King _________ Street in Jerusalem.
8. Shipler deals with the Jewish stereotype that Arabs are violent, uncivilized ___________.
9. Interviews with Palestinians showed disappointment with the efforts to improve the people's plight by the ____________________.
(a) European mediation.
(b) Oslo Convention.
(c) Palestinian Authority.
(d) Arab Nations.
10. "If you have ______________, you must find a way to make peace..."
(a) A question.
(b) An argument.
(c) An enemy.
(d) A problem.
11. Shipler plans to reveal the broad forces in the area which contribute to ______________.
12. Schools on both sides, Shipler says, continue to deal selectively with the creation of Israel, the ____________ of the conflict.
(a) Original sin.
(b) Patient zero.
(d) High point.
13. ___________ arguments carry little weight, even among extreme West Bank settlers.
14. Israeli Jews have mixed feelings about war's ________, whereas Arabs allow the Islamic concept of jihad.
15. The expulsion of all ____________ from the city is demanded as a result of the incident in Jerusalem.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Syrian prisoner of war wept when he realized that the kibbutzim were not the ___________ he had 'known' them to be.
2. Shipler claims that at the time he and his family lived in Jerusalem, it was safer than _____________.
3. The official ___________ myth is that 700,000 Arabs fled their homes in 1948, freely giving up their rights.
4. Shipler fears that Arab youth are being affected by the Israeli ___________ using strong arm tactics in the presence of youth.
5. Rarely, Shipler notes, does terrorism become an effective tool as it quickly becomes _______________.
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)