|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Others charge that the Jews are agents of _______________, whether capitalistic or communist, and will distance Arabs from religious life.
2. The Lebanese women opposes a _________________ between Israel and Lebanon because this would result in an expansion of the Jewish state.
(b) Peace treaty.
3. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
4. A 1984 commuter bus hijacking occurred, but the Israeli military censors imposed a complete _____________.
(c) Press coverage.
(d) List of demands.
5. When the enemy has no _______________, it makes the hatred and bigotry easier.
6. Where did Arabs who were expelled from their villages in 1948 end up going?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
(d) Refugee camps.
7. The Arab-Israeli dispute is _________, but fundamentalism fans the flames.
8. Interviews with Palestinians showed disappointment with the efforts to improve the people's plight by the ____________________.
(a) Oslo Convention.
(b) Arab Nations.
(c) Palestinian Authority.
(d) European mediation.
9. "If you have ______________, you must find a way to make peace..."
(a) An enemy.
(b) A question.
(c) A problem.
(d) An argument.
10. Laura Franklin notes that it's true that __________ are dirty and sweaty at work, but that their homes are immaculate.
11. The college age Palestinian who was caught by Israeli patrol feared ___________, but experienced something different.
12. Shipler plans to reveal the broad forces in the area which contribute to ______________.
13. Shipler examines both sides' abandonment of the common ____________ of the desert.
14. The __________ are the Zionists who founded Israel and control the government.
15. There is a profound resentment that Arab youth are exempt from ____________, which gives them an advantage in the job market.
(b) Military service.
(d) Language classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is believed that ______________ changed the Jews.
2. The opening at the beginning of the book is a wandering of the streets of ____________ from sunrise to high noon.
3. The King Hussein of _______ vows to work for peace and for security in the area.
4. Power is decidedly one sided - _________ have it and the ____________ do not.
5. A sociologist reports that in an integrated neighborhood, there is not tension, but there is notable ______________.
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)