|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A Lebanese woman opposed her father's speech, thanking the ___________ for liberating them from the PLO.
(c) Arab army.
(d) Israeli army.
2. Opinion polls in 2002 fluctuated around the 50% mark among Israelis over whether they could accept an independent ___________ state next door.
3. A Syrian prisoner of war wept when he realized that the kibbutzim were not the ___________ he had 'known' them to be.
(b) War camps.
(c) Centers of worship.
(d) Terrorism cells.
4. During the takeover of the West Bank and Jerusalem in 1967, Arabs were surprised by how ___________ they were treated.
5. Rumors spread of a ___________ accomplice and foreign tourists fitting that description are rounded up for questioning.
(b) Caucasian male.
(d) Asian male.
6. The college age Palestinian who was caught by Israeli patrol feared ___________, but experienced something different.
7. Shipler notes that _________ among Arabs is so high that it is unlikely that the virulent bigotry has much affect on Arabic minds.
(b) Religious practice.
(d) Peaceful aspiration.
8. Who are considered to be fearsome, violent, immensely strong, cruel and cowardly?
9. The 2002 _____________ shows that the area in the Middle East is growing steadily more complex and explosive.
(d) Peace treaty.
10. As of the 2002 postscript, there is no lessening of the __________ desire to return to their homes.
11. What is the only integrated community in Israel, according to this chapter?
12. Israeli Jews have mixed feelings about war's ________, whereas Arabs allow the Islamic concept of jihad.
13. Shipler plans to reveal the broad forces in the area which contribute to ______________.
14. Shipler traces _______ waves of settles, none of whom felt any mystical attraction to the land.
15. A 13-year-old __________ boy is upset by the anti-Arab bigotry and is called a traitor, a PLO supporter and a communist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Settlers also were determined to establish a purely ___________ way of life where they now resided.
2. Shipler discusses censored passages from the ___________'s memoir shoring that the brutality was hardly unintentional.
3. Laura Franklin notes that it's true that __________ are dirty and sweaty at work, but that their homes are immaculate.
4. Others charge that the Jews are agents of _______________, whether capitalistic or communist, and will distance Arabs from religious life.
5. The colonel tells the woman that he agrees that the Palestinians deserve self - ____________.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)