|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Terrorism is meant to be ___________________, not intended to harm individual victims.
(c) A message.
2. Shipler discusses censored passages from the ___________'s memoir shoring that the brutality was hardly unintentional.
(b) Commander's wife.
(c) Field commander.
3. There is fear, but also ________ in the way that Israeli Jews view the Arab.
4. Others charge that the Jews are agents of _______________, whether capitalistic or communist, and will distance Arabs from religious life.
5. Israeli children grow up with the lasting impression that Arabs are a colorful, menacing _____________.
(a) Bunch of savages.
(b) Bloodthirsy warriors.
(c) Breed apart.
6. _____________ is a nationalistic movement, whose political agenda is in continuity with the lamentation of the Jews exiled to Bablyon.
(d) Muslim pride.
7. Rumors spread of a ___________ accomplice and foreign tourists fitting that description are rounded up for questioning.
(a) Caucasian male.
(d) Asian male.
8. Failing to understand the more reserved ____________ of the Ashkenazim, Arabs were unable to recognize authentic hospitality.
9. Westernized _________ tend to be the most susceptible to political radicalism.
10. Israeli authorities monitor ___________ prayers in the mosques, warning imams not to preach on controversial subjects.
11. A 1984 commuter bus hijacking occurred, but the Israeli military censors imposed a complete _____________.
(a) Press coverage.
(d) List of demands.
12. Some young upper class Arabs try to escape their _______ ways and try to emulate the West.
13. Israelis were disappointed that the Arab TV show wasn't broadcast in the West so that the viewers could see how _______ the Arabs are.
14. The Lebanese women opposes a _________________ between Israel and Lebanon because this would result in an expansion of the Jewish state.
(b) Peace treaty.
15. Shipler focuses on the variety of ____________ at the Damascus Gate at the start of the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler describes life in the Dheisheh __________ on the occupied West Bank where every aspect of life instills militancy in youth.
2. Hartman states that biblical people are ______________, which can turn religion into a force of evil.
3. Shipler begins to describe the history of the Palestinian and the Israeli ________ to help the reader gain perspective.
4. There is a profound resentment that Arab youth are exempt from ____________, which gives them an advantage in the job market.
5. Jews can not necessarily deal with the idea that modern __________ Arabs do not fit into their stereotypes.
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)