|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another name for the day on which the people honor the country's war dead?
(a) Independence Day.
(b) Jihad Day.
(c) Memorial Day.
(d) Treatise Day.
2. Shipler claims that at the time he and his family lived in Jerusalem, it was safer than _____________.
(a) New York City.
3. Rumors spread of a ___________ accomplice and foreign tourists fitting that description are rounded up for questioning.
(a) Caucasian male.
(c) Asian male.
4. Those who are citizens of _________ are less feared than those people in the West Bank.
5. Shipler notes that a shift in tactics to assaults on select individuals backfired when applied to ___________ in the West Bank.
(d) Arab Muslims.
6. Critics see no need to meet the enemy personally as they already know what ___________ are like.
7. The expulsion of all ____________ from the city is demanded as a result of the incident in Jerusalem.
8. Shipler wonders whether if his son had been killed during the incident if he would have hated all ____________ and craved revenge.
9. During the takeover of the West Bank and Jerusalem in 1967, Arabs were surprised by how ___________ they were treated.
10. A sociologist reports that in an integrated neighborhood, there is not tension, but there is notable ______________.
11. Shipler explains that Middle Easterners have always felt the need to pigeonhole new acquaintances by their __________.
(a) Skin color.
12. The Lebanese women opposes a _________________ between Israel and Lebanon because this would result in an expansion of the Jewish state.
(a) Peace treaty.
13. Shipler has an extended analysis of ___________ as practiced by both the Arabs and the Jews.
(c) Peace making.
(d) Cultural cleanses.
14. Shipler seeks to examine the interlocking ______________ that Jews and Arabs use to categorize each other.
15. Israelis were disappointed that the Arab TV show wasn't broadcast in the West so that the viewers could see how _______ the Arabs are.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler examines both sides' abandonment of the common ____________ of the desert.
2. Rabbi David Hartman is a ___________ philosopher who states that religion is naturally reactionary.
3. Acts of violence lead to ___________, worst case assumptions and calls for retribution.
4. To improve the condition of the _________ would lesson the tension necessary to achieve statehood.
5. _________ work is frequently found in juvenile literature for Jews, reinforcing stereotypes.
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)