|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. But wealthy Jews also detest Arabs for being ___________ in attitude when they are regularly employed.
2. Israeli authorities monitor ___________ prayers in the mosques, warning imams not to preach on controversial subjects.
3. There is fear, but also ________ in the way that Israeli Jews view the Arab.
4. To improve the condition of the _________ would lesson the tension necessary to achieve statehood.
5. The 2002 _____________ shows that the area in the Middle East is growing steadily more complex and explosive.
(c) Peace treaty.
6. Shipler claims that at the time he and his family lived in Jerusalem, it was safer than _____________.
(a) New York City.
7. A journalist states that ______ are so used to having enemies that hey are suspicious when someone tries to be their friend.
8. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
9. Hartman states that biblical people are ______________, which can turn religion into a force of evil.
(d) Close minded.
10. The Arab-Israeli dispute is _________, but fundamentalism fans the flames.
11. The twelve-year-old Palestinian notes that he has no ________ and no future.
(d) Sense of belonging.
12. Sometimes, being ____________ is advantageous because there is no legacy of long standing antagonism.
(a) A woman.
(c) An outsider.
13. The colonel tells the woman that he agrees that the Palestinians deserve self - ____________.
(b) Service peace treaties.
(d) Controlled lands.
14. The college age Palestinian who was caught by Israeli patrol feared ___________, but experienced something different.
15. __________ abounds on both sides, established by decades of war and terror, and individuals vary in how bigoted or tolerant they are.
Short Answer Questions
1. The official ___________ myth is that 700,000 Arabs fled their homes in 1948, freely giving up their rights.
2. Who are considered to be fearsome, violent, immensely strong, cruel and cowardly?
3. A social studies teacher tells Shipler that the Jewish attitude is that 'we can do whatever we _________ with the Arabs."
4. Shipler ends the chapter by talking about the treatment of battle ______________ that afflicted many of the Israeli soldiers who fought in Lebanon.
5. An Egyptian girl tells Shipler how surprised she was to find ______________ so Middle Eastern.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)