|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "If you have ______________, you must find a way to make peace..."
(a) A question.
(b) An enemy.
(c) A problem.
(d) An argument.
2. Shipler fears that Arab youth are being affected by the Israeli ___________ using strong arm tactics in the presence of youth.
3. It is believed that ______________ changed the Jews.
(c) The Zionists.
(d) The Torah.
4. Failing to understand the more reserved ____________ of the Ashkenazim, Arabs were unable to recognize authentic hospitality.
5. An Egyptian girl tells Shipler how surprised she was to find ______________ so Middle Eastern.
(c) Tel Aviv.
6. The official Israeli strategy is to destroy the ___________ as a means of evaporating Palestinian national aspirations.
(a) Media coverage.
7. The official ___________ myth is that 700,000 Arabs fled their homes in 1948, freely giving up their rights.
8. Some Arabs make an intellectual effort to discredit Jewish claims to _______________ in the land.
(c) Authentic heritage.
(d) Places of worship.
9. The labeling on ___________ published by both sides in textbooks continues to make clear that neither side yet accepts the reality that neither can covet the whole of the land.
10. Sometimes, being ____________ is advantageous because there is no legacy of long standing antagonism.
(a) A woman.
(c) An outsider.
11. The Arab-Israeli dispute is _________, but fundamentalism fans the flames.
12. Shipler seeks to catalog the ___________ each side has of the other side.
13. Shipler notes that a shift in tactics to assaults on select individuals backfired when applied to ___________ in the West Bank.
(c) Arab Muslims.
14. Schools on both sides, Shipler says, continue to deal selectively with the creation of Israel, the ____________ of the conflict.
(b) Patient zero.
(c) High point.
(d) Original sin.
15. Shipler examines both sides' abandonment of the common ____________ of the desert.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Lebanese women opposes a _________________ between Israel and Lebanon because this would result in an expansion of the Jewish state.
2. But wealthy Jews also detest Arabs for being ___________ in attitude when they are regularly employed.
3. There is fear, but also ________ in the way that Israeli Jews view the Arab.
4. _____________ is a nationalistic movement, whose political agenda is in continuity with the lamentation of the Jews exiled to Bablyon.
5. A social studies teacher tells Shipler that the Jewish attitude is that 'we can do whatever we _________ with the Arabs."
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)