|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _____________ do not practice polygamy and enforce veiling of women as some Jews believe.
2. Laura Franklin notes that it's true that __________ are dirty and sweaty at work, but that their homes are immaculate.
3. Opinion polls in 2002 fluctuated around the 50% mark among Israelis over whether they could accept an independent ___________ state next door.
4. Shipler claims that at the time he and his family lived in Jerusalem, it was safer than _____________.
(b) New York City.
5. The expulsion of all ____________ from the city is demanded as a result of the incident in Jerusalem.
6. Shipler ends the chapter by talking about the treatment of battle ______________ that afflicted many of the Israeli soldiers who fought in Lebanon.
7. Israeli hardliners play up the power of the Arabs, lest others try to understand their ____________.
8. A 13-year-old __________ boy is upset by the anti-Arab bigotry and is called a traitor, a PLO supporter and a communist.
9. The labeling on ___________ published by both sides in textbooks continues to make clear that neither side yet accepts the reality that neither can covet the whole of the land.
10. Israeli Jews have mixed feelings about war's ________, whereas Arabs allow the Islamic concept of jihad.
11. Others charge that the Jews are agents of _______________, whether capitalistic or communist, and will distance Arabs from religious life.
12. It is believed that ______________ changed the Jews.
(a) The Torah.
(c) The Zionists.
13. Shipler notes that _________ among Arabs is so high that it is unlikely that the virulent bigotry has much affect on Arabic minds.
(c) Peaceful aspiration.
(d) Religious practice.
14. Shipler talks with several participants in a program called Interns for _______.
15. The King Hussein of _______ vows to work for peace and for security in the area.
(d) Saudi Arabia.
Short Answer Questions
1. A sociologist reports that in an integrated neighborhood, there is not tension, but there is notable ______________.
2. Shipler fears that Arab youth are being affected by the Israeli ___________ using strong arm tactics in the presence of youth.
3. Who are considered to be fearsome, violent, immensely strong, cruel and cowardly?
4. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
5. Through contact with individual __________, Arabs often soften their stance and realize the danger of their stereotyping.
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)