|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Violence and counter violence have become not just byproducts of political battles, but also the origin of new __________.
(a) Terrorist acts.
2. The author observes that a "great tangle of nonsense grows from a seed of __________."
3. Shipler realizes there is no _____________ Israel or Palestine.
4. Schools on both sides, Shipler says, continue to deal selectively with the creation of Israel, the ____________ of the conflict.
(a) Original sin.
(b) High point.
(d) Patient zero.
5. The opening of this chapter talks about the two day celebration of the Day of ____________.
6. Jews can not necessarily deal with the idea that modern __________ Arabs do not fit into their stereotypes.
7. Shipler notes that _________ among Arabs is so high that it is unlikely that the virulent bigotry has much affect on Arabic minds.
(a) Religious practice.
(d) Peaceful aspiration.
8. The 2002 _____________ shows that the area in the Middle East is growing steadily more complex and explosive.
(d) Peace treaty.
9. A journalist states that ______ are so used to having enemies that hey are suspicious when someone tries to be their friend.
10. A tiny number of Israelis understand ________, which leads to paranoia.
(b) Cultural differences.
11. Acts of violence lead to ___________, worst case assumptions and calls for retribution.
12. Shipler seeks to unravel the complexities of interaction by which the tiny minority of high-minded individuals strive to bridge the gap of ___________.
13. There is fear, but also ________ in the way that Israeli Jews view the Arab.
14. Both sides, it seems to Shipler, have many ________, making a discussion of them all the more difficult.
15. The colonel tells the woman that he agrees that the Palestinians deserve self - ____________.
(b) Controlled lands.
(d) Service peace treaties.
Short Answer Questions
1. Liberal Jews speak of fears for the integrity of the ____________ enterprise.
2. When the enemy has no _______________, it makes the hatred and bigotry easier.
3. Israeli authorities monitor ___________ prayers in the mosques, warning imams not to preach on controversial subjects.
4. _____________ do not practice polygamy and enforce veiling of women as some Jews believe.
5. Sometimes, being ____________ is advantageous because there is no legacy of long standing antagonism.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)