|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _________ work is frequently found in juvenile literature for Jews, reinforcing stereotypes.
2. Some Arabs make an intellectual effort to discredit Jewish claims to _______________ in the land.
(b) Places of worship.
(c) Authentic heritage.
3. A Lebanese woman opposed her father's speech, thanking the ___________ for liberating them from the PLO.
(a) Israeli army.
(d) Arab army.
4. A 13-year-old __________ boy is upset by the anti-Arab bigotry and is called a traitor, a PLO supporter and a communist.
5. The Lebanese women opposes a _________________ between Israel and Lebanon because this would result in an expansion of the Jewish state.
(d) Peace treaty.
6. Wealthy Jews deride the Arabs as being ____________ and about being lazy.
7. Some young upper class Arabs try to escape their _______ ways and try to emulate the West.
8. Israelis were disappointed that the Arab TV show wasn't broadcast in the West so that the viewers could see how _______ the Arabs are.
9. Shipler talks with several participants in a program called Interns for _______.
10. The colonel tells the woman that he agrees that the Palestinians deserve self - ____________.
(b) Controlled lands.
(c) Service peace treaties.
11. The author observes that a "great tangle of nonsense grows from a seed of __________."
12. Shipler concludes that only one side celebrates the liberation of _______________.
13. Shipler seeks to unravel the complexities of interaction by which the tiny minority of high-minded individuals strive to bridge the gap of ___________.
14. Shipler explains that Middle Easterners have always felt the need to pigeonhole new acquaintances by their __________.
(d) Skin color.
15. During the takeover of the West Bank and Jerusalem in 1967, Arabs were surprised by how ___________ they were treated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shipler plans to reveal the broad forces in the area which contribute to ______________.
2. The book decides to show revelations about an area of the world which is too easy to ______________.
3. It is believed that ______________ changed the Jews.
4. There is too much bitterness between the Arabs and the Jews for them to generate ________ about themselves or each other.
5. Shipler seeks to catalog the ___________ each side has of the other side.
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)