|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. __________ abounds on both sides, established by decades of war and terror, and individuals vary in how bigoted or tolerant they are.
2. Shipler begins to describe the history of the Palestinian and the Israeli ________ to help the reader gain perspective.
3. A Syrian prisoner of war wept when he realized that the kibbutzim were not the ___________ he had 'known' them to be.
(a) Terrorism cells.
(c) War camps.
(d) Centers of worship.
4. Jews can not necessarily deal with the idea that modern __________ Arabs do not fit into their stereotypes.
5. Shipler traces _______ waves of settles, none of whom felt any mystical attraction to the land.
6. Settlers also were determined to establish a purely ___________ way of life where they now resided.
7. But wealthy Jews also detest Arabs for being ___________ in attitude when they are regularly employed.
8. Rarely, Shipler notes, does terrorism become an effective tool as it quickly becomes _______________.
9. The opening of the chapter depicts an incident which took place on King _________ Street in Jerusalem.
10. Israelis were disappointed that the Arab TV show wasn't broadcast in the West so that the viewers could see how _______ the Arabs are.
11. A tiny number of Israelis understand ________, which leads to paranoia.
(b) Cultural differences.
12. Shipler notes that a shift in tactics to assaults on select individuals backfired when applied to ___________ in the West Bank.
(c) Arab Muslims.
13. Some Arabs make an intellectual effort to discredit Jewish claims to _______________ in the land.
(a) Places of worship.
(d) Authentic heritage.
14. The twelve-year-old Palestinian notes that he has no ________ and no future.
(c) Sense of belonging.
15. What is the only integrated community in Israel, according to this chapter?
Short Answer Questions
1. During the takeover of the West Bank and Jerusalem in 1967, Arabs were surprised by how ___________ they were treated.
2. Shipler describes life in the Dheisheh __________ on the occupied West Bank where every aspect of life instills militancy in youth.
3. Only a small percentage of Israelis identify themselves as _____________.
4. The expulsion of all ____________ from the city is demanded as a result of the incident in Jerusalem.
5. The book decides to show revelations about an area of the world which is too easy to ______________.
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)