Objective: Shipler starts out his manuscript by trying to take the reader into the past, before there were the sorts of conflicts there are today. Today's objective is to discuss the importance of the past and whether it can be used to change the future.
1) 1. Have each student briefly describe their pasts. Share happy and sad moments and memories.
2. In smaller groups, have students discuss whether they think the past influences their life today. Why or why not?
3. As a class, have the students decide whether they think the past is a good starting point for this manuscript. Why or why not? What other starting points may have been more effective?
4. Homework: Have each student discuss whether they think the past can change the future. Why or why not?
5. Homework: Have students discuss how they feel about their past. Would they change it if they could?
This section contains 5,680 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)