* Shipler discusses his plan for the book.
* A 2002 postscript shows that the area continues to be fraught with turmoil.
Part 1, Chapter 1
* Day of Remembrance brings both sorrow and glorification.
* Both sides are represented by families reaching back in the disputed lands for generations.
* The official Israeli myth is dissected.
* Shipler discusses the later massacres of Kfrar Kassem, Qibya, Sabra, and Shatila.
Part 1, Chapter 2
* Shipler depicts life in the refugee camps established for Arabs expelled from their villages.
* The longing to return to their home is central for the refugees.
* Shipler discusses the many sides of Zionism.
* As recent as 2002, Arabs continue to long to return to their lands.
Part 1, Chapter 3
* Four heavily armed Arabs seize a hostage on King George Street in 1984.
* Shipler claims Jerusalem used to be safer than New York City.
* Shipler analyzes the terrorism practices by Jews and Arabs.
* A commuter bus was hijacked...
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)