|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator endure in order to get to where they are going?
2. For how long is Tupac sentenced?
3. What happens to Tupac when Chapter 10 opens?
4. Where does the narrator go with Miss Irene one Saturday in the summer?
5. What does D learn that the court system has done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Neeka say she wants to do when she grows up?
2. Where does D have the girls get off the bus and how do they feel about entering the place where she has brought them?
3. What does Neeka's family do while visiting with Tash and what does Miss Irene say about his lawyer? What does Tash tell her?
4. How was Tash as far as dating and who did he fall for right before he went to prison, what was the man like and what did Tash convince himself about the man?
5. What did Sly and a friend of his do to Tash and Randall?
6. What happens to Tupac after he recovers, how does the narrator feel about the evidence and to what does she relate it?
7. What did Tash do at church before he went to prison?
8. What shocks Neeka and the narrator while listening to music and preparing for Tash's welcome home party? What do they learn about D?
9. Where is D going to live and what do the friends vow?
10. What does Tash tell Jayjones about crime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jayjones arrives anxious and out of breath. He had been exercising in the park and a cop stopped him, presumably because he is black and the racist cop believed he was running from a crime. Jayjones believes a mere suit and a college education do not prevent pervasive racism.
1. Police officers stopping minorities more often than whites is called racial profiling. What measures do you think should be taken to prevent racial profiling? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. What would you do if you were Jayjones and stopped by the police for no reason? Discuss your options in depth.
3. Do you think Jayjones is correct that a suit and college education does not stop racism? Why or why not? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
Essay Topic 2
D reveals how she loves Tupac because she feels he knows what extreme hunger is like and what it is to go hungry because you don't have enough money. D's friends are shocked that D had such an impoverished upbringing. Neeka assures D that her mother will always have food for D, and D is grateful.
1. Why do you think in a country as rich as America there are still people who don't have enough to eat? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. Given the fact that the narrator's mother works long hours to support them and where they live, why do you think the narrator and Neeka are shocked to find out about D's life? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
3. Discuss in depth the following statement: Every human being has the right to enough food to eat.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think After Tupac and D Foster is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)