|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Randall?
2. Where did Tash play piano before going to prison?
3. What happens to Tupac when Chapter 10 opens?
4. What does D ask one late night when she comes to the narrator's home?
5. How is Sly whenever Tash meets him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator's mother give her for her birthday?
2. How was Tash as far as dating and who did he fall for right before he went to prison, what was the man like and what did Tash convince himself about the man?
3. What happens in May with the narrator and how does she feel about it?
4. What does Neeka's family do while visiting with Tash and what does Miss Irene say about his lawyer? What does Tash tell her?
5. In Chapter 11, what does D ask the narrator and Neeka if they want to do, what is their response?
6. What did Tash do at church before he went to prison?
7. What does Tash ask Jayjones and what does Tash say is the first thing he is going to do when he leaves prison?
8. How does Miss Irene react to the photographer in Chapter 15?
9. What do Neeka and the narrator do when they come home after being with D in Chapter 11?
10. How does Neeka's family enter the prison and how do they feel about the guards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama is reading a newspaper article about the trial of Tupac, in which the rapper is accused of sexually abusing a young woman. Mama and the narrator agree that Tupac is innocent of the charges against him and that the judge and jury are being overly harsh because of racism and because of the "thug" lifestyle portrayed in Tupac's music.
1. Do you think in real life innocent people are convicted of crimes they have not done and sent to prison? Why or why not? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. Discuss, in depth, with examples, why you think or do not think the court system is influenced by racism.
3. There have been a number of sexual abuse or rape charges against well known or wealthy men. With research, discuss your opinion as to whether wealthy or well known men are generally not convicted as often as ordinary citizens. Use examples from your research to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
D is a "throwaway child", and the system allows foster parents to take her on (for government payments) and then dispose of her at their will. Furthermore, the reader gets the sense that the court has erred in granting D's real mother custody, considering the mother's history of alcoholism and negligence.
1. What do you think are the major problems with the foster care system in the United States? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think the courts should have so much power over the lives of children and their parents? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the mental and emotional impacts D's life situation might have on her in the long term. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
It is clear the girls love Tupac because he "speaks their language." He speaks about issues that affect them or people they know, such as racism, poverty, teen pregnancy, and the complicated nature of the relationship between mother and child.
1. This book takes place in the middle 1990's. Do you think racism is still a big issue in America at that time? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
2. Discuss the correlation between poverty and teen pregnancy. This may require research. Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
3. Why do you think the relationship between a mother and her child or children is complicated? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)