|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the narrator relate Tupac's arrest?
2. What happens to the narrator and Neeka in May?
3. Why does Jayjones think black people have been falsely imprisoned?
4. What is one thing Jayjones says black people cannot do?
5. Why is Neeka resentful on the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about the amphitheater and what do the girls do on the stage?
2. What happens to Tupac after he recovers, how does the narrator feel about the evidence and to what does she relate it?
3. How does Miss Irene react to the photographer in Chapter 15?
4. What does Neeka complain about on the way to the prison and what does she think she can do about it?
5. What is D's history with foster homes?
6. In Chapter 11, what does D ask the narrator and Neeka if they want to do, what is their response?
7. What did Sly and a friend of his do to Tash and Randall?
8. What did Tash do at church before he went to prison?
9. Where is D going to live and what do the friends vow?
10. How does Neeka's family enter the prison and how do they feel about the guards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tupac's mother was in jail when she was pregnant with Tupac, arrested for being a member of the militant group the Black Panthers. The girls all admire the fact that Tupac loves his mother very much, despite some fights they have. D says looking at Tupac is like looking in the mirror, and that when he sings about his mother, it's like he's singing about D's real mother, whom she does not know.
1. What issues do you think are involved with women who are pregnant and in prison? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
2. D says looking at Tupac is like looking in the mirror, and that when he sings about his mother, it's like he's singing about D's real mother, whom she does not know. Discuss in detail what you think this statement means. Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
3. The girls all admire the fact that Tupac loves his mother very much, despite some fights they have. Why do you think the girls believe Tupac loves his mother? Discuss the problem of a famous person's public face and his/her private face? Do you think they are different? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator has a reputation as a brainy nerd and the other kids tease her about her intelligence. The narrator is usually quiet and reserved and always has her nose in a book.
1. Why do you think an intelligent student would be teased by other students? Discuss the reasons in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. Do you think intelligent girls are teased more than boys? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Quiet students who are always reading are more intelligent than than others. Defend or refute this statement in depth. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of After Tupac and D Foster, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)