|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does D vow after hearing the counselor?
2. Where does D tell them they are going?
3. When does Tash expect to be out?
4. Who is Sly?
5. Who is Daneeka Lucy Jones?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of After Tupac and D Foster, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss After Tupac and D Foster based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if After Tupac and D Foster is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that After Tupac and D Foster is a youth book changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter eleven is perhaps the most important chapter in the book. Its central event involves the three girls disobeying their mothers' orders not to leave the block. This act is literally and figuratively evidence of maturation. The maturation culminates in a personal transformation Neeka and the narrator feel when they are on the stage of the amphitheater. They announce "We're here!" as if proclaiming their entrance into adulthood. Examining the symbolism of the setting, the girls have finally gone from mere onlookers in life to the doers, the actors, on stage.
1. Discuss, in depth, the symbolism in the scene from the amphitheater. Use examples from After Tupac and D Foster to illustrate and support your answer.
2. Why do you think the narrator and Neeka disobeying their mothers might be evidence of maturation? Students may consider the act of baby birds flying from the nest. Use examples from After Tupac and D Foster to illustrate and support your answer.
3. Why do you think the narrator said she felt "whole" for the first time when the girls were at the amphitheater? Use examples from After Tupac and D Foster to illustrate and support your answer.
This section contains 3,134 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)