|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sly?
2. What does Neeka's group share?
3. How is Sly whenever Tash meets him?
4. Why is the narrator hesitant about D's request?
5. Why is Tash imprisoned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sly and a friend of his do to Tash and Randall?
2. What does Tash ask Jayjones and what does Tash say is the first thing he is going to do when he leaves prison?
3. How does the narrator feel about the amphitheater and what do the girls do on the stage?
4. What does Neeka complain about on the way to the prison and what does she think she can do about it?
5. What does Neeka say she wants to do when she grows up?
6. What does Jayjones explain to the younger children about what blacks need to do to stay out of trouble?
7. What has D learned about her real mother and how does she feel about it?
8. How does Neeka's family enter the prison and how do they feel about the guards?
9. Where is D going to live and what do the friends vow?
10. What does the narrator's mother give her for her birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of the narrator and Neeka. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? What are their strengths and weaknesses? How do those support each other in their friendship? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of the narrator and D. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? What are their strengths and weaknesses? How do those support each other in their friendship? Be specific and give examples.
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in After Tupac and D Foster how do they drive the plot and what are their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Jayjones, who is Neeka's older brother, is a star basketball player at Grady High School. He aspires to play professional basketball.
1. Do you think Jayjones is wise to pin all his hopes on being drafted for pro ball? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. School athletes often have low grades because they spend too much time on sports. Defend or refute this statement in depth. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. High schools and colleges should require academic excellence from all athletes in case the athlete is unable to earn a living in his/her chosen sport. Defend or refute this statement in depth. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of After Tupac and D Foster, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)