|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Daneeka Lucy Jones?
2. What does Neeka want to do?
3. Where do the girls walk?
4. Where do D, Neeka and the narrator get off the bus?
5. What effect does Tupac's imprisonment have on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tash look like when he comes into the visitation area and how does he act?
2. How does the narrator feel about the amphitheater and what do the girls do on the stage?
3. What does Jayjones explain to the younger children about what blacks need to do to stay out of trouble?
4. What is D's history with foster homes?
5. What does Tash tell Jayjones about crime?
6. Where is D going to live and what do the friends vow?
7. What does Neeka say she wants to do when she grows up?
8. What does Neeka's family do while visiting with Tash and what does Miss Irene say about his lawyer? What does Tash tell her?
9. What happens in May with the narrator and how does she feel about it?
10. How does Neeka's family enter the prison and how do they feel about the guards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze one major theme of After Tupac and D Foster. Consider the following: How does one character's actions portray the theme you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to that theme? Is the theme one that you would call a "universal theme"? If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme. If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
2. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of After Tupac and D Foster. How does one character's actions portray the themes you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to those themes? Is each theme one that you would call a "universal theme"? If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme. If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
3. What benefit is there in discussing and analyzing the themes of a work of fiction? Do you think most authors consciously develop themes in their works? Why or why not? Can there be accidental themes? What do you think is one possible "accidental" theme in After Tupac and D Foster? Which theme in After Tupac and D Foster speaks to you the most in your life? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think After Tupac and D Foster is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss After Tupac and D Foster based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if After Tupac and D Foster is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that After Tupac and D Foster is a youth book changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)