|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sly and his friend testify?
2. What does Neeka's group share?
3. What is behind the picture from the narrator's mother?
4. What quality does Neeka want to have?
5. When does Tash expect to be out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tash tell Jayjones about crime?
2. What did Sly and a friend of his do to Tash and Randall?
3. What do Neeka and the narrator do when they come home after being with D in Chapter 11?
4. What does Tash look like when he comes into the visitation area and how does he act?
5. How was Tash as far as dating and who did he fall for right before he went to prison, what was the man like and what did Tash convince himself about the man?
6. Where is D going to live and what do the friends vow?
7. What is D's history with foster homes?
8. How does Miss Irene react to the photographer in Chapter 15?
9. What does the narrator's mother give her for her birthday?
10. What shocks Neeka and the narrator while listening to music and preparing for Tash's welcome home party? What do they learn about D?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
D reveals how she loves Tupac because she feels he knows what extreme hunger is like and what it is to go hungry because you don't have enough money. D's friends are shocked that D had such an impoverished upbringing. Neeka assures D that her mother will always have food for D, and D is grateful.
1. Why do you think in a country as rich as America there are still people who don't have enough to eat? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. Given the fact that the narrator's mother works long hours to support them and where they live, why do you think the narrator and Neeka are shocked to find out about D's life? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
3. Discuss in depth the following statement: Every human being has the right to enough food to eat.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of After Tupac and D Foster, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think After Tupac and D Foster is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)