|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the narrator and Neeka in May?
2. How is Sly whenever Tash meets him?
3. What is behind the picture from the narrator's mother?
4. Who is Flo?
5. Who does Tash say he will repay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tash ask Jayjones and what does Tash say is the first thing he is going to do when he leaves prison?
2. How does the narrator feel about the amphitheater and what do the girls do on the stage?
3. What does Tash look like when he comes into the visitation area and how does he act?
4. In Chapter 11, what does D ask the narrator and Neeka if they want to do, what is their response?
5. What did Tash do at church before he went to prison?
6. What happens to Tupac after he recovers, how does the narrator feel about the evidence and to what does she relate it?
7. What is D's history with foster homes?
8. Where is D going to live and what do the friends vow?
9. How does Miss Irene react to the photographer in Chapter 15?
10. What do Neeka and the narrator do when they come home after being with D in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama is reading a newspaper article about the trial of Tupac, in which the rapper is accused of sexually abusing a young woman. Mama and the narrator agree that Tupac is innocent of the charges against him and that the judge and jury are being overly harsh because of racism and because of the "thug" lifestyle portrayed in Tupac's music.
1. Do you think in real life innocent people are convicted of crimes they have not done and sent to prison? Why or why not? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. Discuss, in depth, with examples, why you think or do not think the court system is influenced by racism.
3. There have been a number of sexual abuse or rape charges against well known or wealthy men. With research, discuss your opinion as to whether wealthy or well known men are generally not convicted as often as ordinary citizens. Use examples from your research to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator doesn't know who her own father is, either. Mama expresses regret for the narrator not having a father. Some days Mama looks sadly out the window, and the narrator can tell she's thinking of what could have been.
1. Do you think most of the characters in this book regret something in their past? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book.
2. How do you think not knowing her father has affected the narrator's life and her feelings about herself and others? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think dwelling on the past and what might have been can negatively impact the present? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator has a reputation as a brainy nerd and the other kids tease her about her intelligence. The narrator is usually quiet and reserved and always has her nose in a book.
1. Why do you think an intelligent student would be teased by other students? Discuss the reasons in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. Do you think intelligent girls are teased more than boys? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Quiet students who are always reading are more intelligent than than others. Defend or refute this statement in depth. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)