|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does D tell them they are going?
2. What does Jayjones say happens to black men in the wrong places?
3. Where do the girls make snow angels?
4. Why does Randall not tell his side of the story?
5. What does the narrator endure in order to get to where they are going?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Neeka's family do while visiting with Tash and what does Miss Irene say about his lawyer? What does Tash tell her?
2. What did Sly and a friend of his do to Tash and Randall?
3. What happens to Tupac after he recovers, how does the narrator feel about the evidence and to what does she relate it?
4. In Chapter 11, what does D ask the narrator and Neeka if they want to do, what is their response?
5. What does Neeka complain about on the way to the prison and what does she think she can do about it?
6. Where is D going to live and what do the friends vow?
7. How was Tash as far as dating and who did he fall for right before he went to prison, what was the man like and what did Tash convince himself about the man?
8. How does Miss Irene react to the photographer in Chapter 15?
9. What do Neeka and the narrator do when they come home after being with D in Chapter 11?
10. What does Tash ask Jayjones and what does Tash say is the first thing he is going to do when he leaves prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think After Tupac and D Foster is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Tupac's shooting forced some to dismiss Tupac as a mere "gangster" who was a bad influence on black youth. The narrator saw him as a survivor and a hero. Even when Tupac was jailed and released an album from jail, the narrator admired him for his irrepressible spirit.
1. Why do you think the three girls see Tupac as a hero? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
2. Do you think the lyrics to music can be a bad influence on young people? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
3. Discuss, in your opinion, how the bill or rights which guarantees free speech applies to songs. Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Jayjones, who is Neeka's older brother, is a star basketball player at Grady High School. He aspires to play professional basketball.
1. Do you think Jayjones is wise to pin all his hopes on being drafted for pro ball? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. School athletes often have low grades because they spend too much time on sports. Defend or refute this statement in depth. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. High schools and colleges should require academic excellence from all athletes in case the athlete is unable to earn a living in his/her chosen sport. Defend or refute this statement in depth. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)