|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama ask about D and her family?
2. How many times was Tupac shot the first time he was shot?
3. Why was Albert named as he was?
4. Why might the boys like D better than Neeka or the narrator?
5. What makes the narrator jealous of D?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tash tell Jayjones about crime?
2. What does D say looking at Tupac does to her?
3. What happens in May with the narrator and how does she feel about it?
4. How does Miss Irene react to the photographer in Chapter 15?
5. What is Neeka's mother like, what is her name and how does she feel about D when she first meets D?
6. What does Jayjones tell the girls about him and Tupac?
7. What does Neeka say she wants to do when she grows up?
8. What does Tash ask Jayjones and what does Tash say is the first thing he is going to do when he leaves prison?
9. When does D come back and what happens when the girls begin to jump rope?
10. What do the narrator and Neeka dream about when they listen to Tupac's music and how old are they?
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think After Tupac and D Foster is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Jayjones, who is Neeka's older brother, is a star basketball player at Grady High School. He aspires to play professional basketball.
1. Do you think Jayjones is wise to pin all his hopes on being drafted for pro ball? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. School athletes often have low grades because they spend too much time on sports. Defend or refute this statement in depth. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. High schools and colleges should require academic excellence from all athletes in case the athlete is unable to earn a living in his/her chosen sport. Defend or refute this statement in depth. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Tupac's shooting forced some to dismiss Tupac as a mere "gangster" who was a bad influence on black youth. The narrator saw him as a survivor and a hero. Even when Tupac was jailed and released an album from jail, the narrator admired him for his irrepressible spirit.
1. Why do you think the three girls see Tupac as a hero? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
2. Do you think the lyrics to music can be a bad influence on young people? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
3. Discuss, in your opinion, how the bill or rights which guarantees free speech applies to songs. Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
This section contains 3,674 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)