|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does D say is the reason she came to the block where Neeka and the narrator are?
2. How does D feel about her mother?
3. What does D say to Neeka and the narrator when they meet and they ask about her family?
4. What does Jayjones think will not help racism?
5. What is D allowed to do during the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Neeka say to Jayjones when he tells her what happened to him at the park?
2. When does D come back and what happens when the girls begin to jump rope?
3. Who calls the narrator on the day after Tupac is shot the second time and what does she say?
4. How does Neeka's family enter the prison and how do they feel about the guards?
5. What does D say looking at Tupac does to her?
6. What shocks Neeka and the narrator while listening to music and preparing for Tash's welcome home party? What do they learn about D?
7. How does Miss Irene react to the photographer in Chapter 15?
8. What did Tash do at church before he went to prison?
9. What do the narrator and Neeka dream about when they listen to Tupac's music and how old are they?
10. What does Jayjones tell the girls about him and Tupac?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss After Tupac and D Foster based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if After Tupac and D Foster is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that After Tupac and D Foster is a youth book changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Tupac's mother was in jail when she was pregnant with Tupac, arrested for being a member of the militant group the Black Panthers. The girls all admire the fact that Tupac loves his mother very much, despite some fights they have. D says looking at Tupac is like looking in the mirror, and that when he sings about his mother, it's like he's singing about D's real mother, whom she does not know.
1. What issues do you think are involved with women who are pregnant and in prison? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
2. D says looking at Tupac is like looking in the mirror, and that when he sings about his mother, it's like he's singing about D's real mother, whom she does not know. Discuss in detail what you think this statement means. Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
3. The girls all admire the fact that Tupac loves his mother very much, despite some fights they have. Why do you think the girls believe Tupac loves his mother? Discuss the problem of a famous person's public face and his/her private face? Do you think they are different? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think After Tupac and D Foster is? Explain your response.
This section contains 3,771 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)