|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's mother like?
2. What makes the narrator jealous of D?
3. What does the narrator think she read about Albert's namesake?
4. In Chapter 4, what regret does the narrator's mother express?
5. When was the first time Tupac was shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is D's foster mother, what is she like, and why does D obey her?
2. What does D say looking at Tupac does to her?
3. What does the narrator and her mother discuss from the newspaper in Chapter 6 and what do they decide?
4. What do the narrator and Neeka hear on the news about Tupac in Chapter 7 and how do the girls react? What does the narrator's mother say about it?
5. What other children are in Neeka's family and how many of them are there?
6. Who is Neeka's other brother and why do Neeka and the narrator dislike the homophobic rap songs? Where is this brother?
7. For what does the narrator have a reputation?
8. What does the narrator think about Tupac and the song "Brenda's Got a Baby"?
9. Who is Jayjones, why is he known at school and what does he want to do with his life?
10. What do the narrator and Neeka envy about D and what does Neeka ask D to bring the next time she comes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think After Tupac and D Foster is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Neeka's other brother is named Tash. The narrator calls him a "Queen" and a "sissy from day one", indicating he is a homosexual. Neeka and the narrator find the rampant homophobic lyrics in some rap songs hard to listen to, considering they love Tash.
1. What do you think are the causes of homophobia? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. Tash causes his problems by being too open with his life style. He should act more masculine. Defend or refute this statement. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think discrimination against gays should be against the law? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
4. Do you think song writers should be able to say hateful things about a group of people, whether they are black or old or gay or female? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
D reveals how she loves Tupac because she feels he knows what extreme hunger is like and what it is to go hungry because you don't have enough money. D's friends are shocked that D had such an impoverished upbringing. Neeka assures D that her mother will always have food for D, and D is grateful.
1. Why do you think in a country as rich as America there are still people who don't have enough to eat? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. Given the fact that the narrator's mother works long hours to support them and where they live, why do you think the narrator and Neeka are shocked to find out about D's life? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
3. Discuss in depth the following statement: Every human being has the right to enough food to eat.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)