|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reputation does the narrator have?
2. What did Tupac's shooting cause some people to call him?
3. What does Neeka think Jayjones should do?
4. Where was Tupac's mother when she was pregnant with him?
5. How does the narrator feel when Jayjones tells her about pretty girls and eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does D say is the reason she loves Tupac and how do the narrator and Neeka feel about what she says?
2. How do the narrator and Neeka feel about Tupac?
3. Who is Neeka's other brother and why do Neeka and the narrator dislike the homophobic rap songs? Where is this brother?
4. What do the narrator and Neeka hear on the news about Tupac in Chapter 7 and how do the girls react? What does the narrator's mother say about it?
5. For whom is Albert named and why does the narrator question this choice?
6. What is Neeka's mother like, what is her name and how does she feel about D when she first meets D?
7. Who is D's foster mother, what is she like, and why does D obey her?
8. What are D, the narrator, and Neeka doing in the opening of Chapter 1 and what is "Brenda's Got a Baby" about?
9. What does Jayjones tell the girls about him and Tupac?
10. Who is Jayjones, why is he known at school and what does he want to do with his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Neeka's other brother is named Tash. The narrator calls him a "Queen" and a "sissy from day one", indicating he is a homosexual. Neeka and the narrator find the rampant homophobic lyrics in some rap songs hard to listen to, considering they love Tash.
1. What do you think are the causes of homophobia? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. Tash causes his problems by being too open with his life style. He should act more masculine. Defend or refute this statement. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think discrimination against gays should be against the law? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
4. Do you think song writers should be able to say hateful things about a group of people, whether they are black or old or gay or female? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator has a reputation as a brainy nerd and the other kids tease her about her intelligence. The narrator is usually quiet and reserved and always has her nose in a book.
1. Why do you think an intelligent student would be teased by other students? Discuss the reasons in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. Do you think intelligent girls are teased more than boys? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Quiet students who are always reading are more intelligent than than others. Defend or refute this statement in depth. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Tupac's shooting forced some to dismiss Tupac as a mere "gangster" who was a bad influence on black youth. The narrator saw him as a survivor and a hero. Even when Tupac was jailed and released an album from jail, the narrator admired him for his irrepressible spirit.
1. Why do you think the three girls see Tupac as a hero? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
2. Do you think the lyrics to music can be a bad influence on young people? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
3. Discuss, in your opinion, how the bill or rights which guarantees free speech applies to songs. Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)