Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what regret does the narrator's mother express?
2. Who arrives with swollen eyes from crying?
3. Of what does Jayjones accuse Neeka?
4. What do Neeka and the narrator decide?
5. What is D's foster mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jayjones tell the girls about him and Tupac?
2. What does the narrator and her mother discuss from the newspaper in Chapter 6 and what do they decide?
3. What happens to Tupac after he recovers, how does the narrator feel about the evidence and to what does she relate it?
4. What did Tash do at church before he went to prison?
5. How does Miss Irene react to the photographer in Chapter 15?
6. Who was Tash's music teacher and what did he think of Tash's playing?
7. What does Tash look like when he comes into the visitation area and how does he act?
8. What do Neeka and the narrator do when they come home after being with D in Chapter 11?
9. What does the narrator see some men do when Tash is walking towards her, how does she feel about it and what does he say about getting out of prison early?
10. What does the narrator say about Tupac Shakur and getting shot in the prologue?
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of After Tupac and D Foster, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Jayjones arrives anxious and out of breath. He had been exercising in the park and a cop stopped him, presumably because he is black and the racist cop believed he was running from a crime. Jayjones believes a mere suit and a college education do not prevent pervasive racism.
1. Police officers stopping minorities more often than whites is called racial profiling. What measures do you think should be taken to prevent racial profiling? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. What would you do if you were Jayjones and stopped by the police for no reason? Discuss your options in depth.
3. Do you think Jayjones is correct that a suit and college education does not stop racism? Why or why not? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
Tupac's mother was in jail when she was pregnant with Tupac, arrested for being a member of the militant group the Black Panthers. The girls all admire the fact that Tupac loves his mother very much, despite some fights they have. D says looking at Tupac is like looking in the mirror, and that when he sings about his mother, it's like he's singing about D's real mother, whom she does not know.
1. What issues do you think are involved with women who are pregnant and in prison? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
2. D says looking at Tupac is like looking in the mirror, and that when he sings about his mother, it's like he's singing about D's real mother, whom she does not know. Discuss in detail what you think this statement means. Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
3. The girls all admire the fact that Tupac loves his mother very much, despite some fights they have. Why do you think the girls believe Tupac loves his mother? Discuss the problem of a famous person's public face and his/her private face? Do you think they are different? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)