|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Jayjones accuse Neeka?
2. What does the narrator think Mama is thinking of when Mama looks sadly out the window?
3. How do the narrator and Neeka know each other?
4. What makes the narrator jealous of D?
5. How many times was Tupac shot the first time he was shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Neeka's mother like, what is her name and how does she feel about D when she first meets D?
2. What are the narrator and Neeka trying to teach the younger children and how does that end?
3. Who is Jayjones, why is he known at school and what does he want to do with his life?
4. What does Jayjones tell the girls about him and Tupac?
5. What does Jayjones bring home for the girls to eat and what does he say to D about the food?
6. What does Neeka interrogate D about when they meet and why did D come to their street?
7. What do the narrator and Neeka hear on the news about Tupac in Chapter 7 and how do the girls react? What does the narrator's mother say about it?
8. When does D come back and what happens when the girls begin to jump rope?
9. What does D say looking at Tupac does to her?
10. What does Neeka say to Jayjones when he tells her what happened to him at the park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of the narrator and Neeka. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? What are their strengths and weaknesses? How do those support each other in their friendship? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of the narrator and D. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? What are their strengths and weaknesses? How do those support each other in their friendship? Be specific and give examples.
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in After Tupac and D Foster how do they drive the plot and what are their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator has a reputation as a brainy nerd and the other kids tease her about her intelligence. The narrator is usually quiet and reserved and always has her nose in a book.
1. Why do you think an intelligent student would be teased by other students? Discuss the reasons in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. Do you think intelligent girls are teased more than boys? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Quiet students who are always reading are more intelligent than than others. Defend or refute this statement in depth. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of After Tupac and D Foster, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)