|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reputation does the narrator have?
2. What do Neeka and the narrator hear on the radio?
3. What is Neeka's mother like?
4. What does Jayjones tell D about pretty girls and eating?
5. What is D's biggest dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long has the narrator known Neeka and how did they meet D?
2. What does the narrator think about Tupac and the song "Brenda's Got a Baby"?
3. For whom is Albert named and why does the narrator question this choice?
4. What do the narrator and Neeka hear on the news about Tupac in Chapter 7 and how do the girls react? What does the narrator's mother say about it?
5. When does D come back and what happens when the girls begin to jump rope?
6. What does the narrator and her mother discuss from the newspaper in Chapter 6 and what do they decide?
7. What does D say is the reason she loves Tupac and how do the narrator and Neeka feel about what she says?
8. What are the narrator and Neeka trying to teach the younger children and how does that end?
9. Who is D's foster mother, what is she like, and why does D obey her?
10. How does D describe herself and why do Neeka and the narrator envy her? What does D envy about Neeka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of the narrator and Neeka. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? What are their strengths and weaknesses? How do those support each other in their friendship? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of the narrator and D. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? What are their strengths and weaknesses? How do those support each other in their friendship? Be specific and give examples.
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in After Tupac and D Foster how do they drive the plot and what are their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Jayjones arrives anxious and out of breath. He had been exercising in the park and a cop stopped him, presumably because he is black and the racist cop believed he was running from a crime. Jayjones believes a mere suit and a college education do not prevent pervasive racism.
1. Police officers stopping minorities more often than whites is called racial profiling. What measures do you think should be taken to prevent racial profiling? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
2. What would you do if you were Jayjones and stopped by the police for no reason? Discuss your options in depth.
3. Do you think Jayjones is correct that a suit and college education does not stop racism? Why or why not? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from the book and your own life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss After Tupac and D Foster based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if After Tupac and D Foster is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that After Tupac and D Foster is a youth book changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)