|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator call Neeka's second brother a queen?
2. How did Jayjones get his nickname?
3. What reputation does the narrator have?
4. For whom is Neeka's brother Albert named?
5. Why was Albert named as he was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tupac's death make the narrator think about and what is the rest of the book about?
2. What is Neeka's mother like, what is her name and how does she feel about D when she first meets D?
3. What are the narrator and Neeka trying to teach the younger children and how does that end?
4. What are D, the narrator, and Neeka doing in the opening of Chapter 1 and what is "Brenda's Got a Baby" about?
5. How does D describe herself and why do Neeka and the narrator envy her? What does D envy about Neeka?
6. What do the narrator and Neeka envy about D and what does Neeka ask D to bring the next time she comes?
7. For whom is Albert named and why does the narrator question this choice?
8. What does the narrator say about Tupac Shakur and getting shot in the prologue?
9. Who is Jayjones, why is he known at school and what does he want to do with his life?
10. Why does Jayjones arrive at the house breathless in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is clear the girls love Tupac because he "speaks their language." He speaks about issues that affect them or people they know, such as racism, poverty, teen pregnancy, and the complicated nature of the relationship between mother and child.
1. This book takes place in the middle 1990's. Do you think racism is still a big issue in America at that time? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
2. Discuss the correlation between poverty and teen pregnancy. This may require research. Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
3. Why do you think the relationship between a mother and her child or children is complicated? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Tupac's mother was in jail when she was pregnant with Tupac, arrested for being a member of the militant group the Black Panthers. The girls all admire the fact that Tupac loves his mother very much, despite some fights they have. D says looking at Tupac is like looking in the mirror, and that when he sings about his mother, it's like he's singing about D's real mother, whom she does not know.
1. What issues do you think are involved with women who are pregnant and in prison? Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
2. D says looking at Tupac is like looking in the mirror, and that when he sings about his mother, it's like he's singing about D's real mother, whom she does not know. Discuss in detail what you think this statement means. Use examples from the book and your own opinion to support your answer.
3. The girls all admire the fact that Tupac loves his mother very much, despite some fights they have. Why do you think the girls believe Tupac loves his mother? Discuss the problem of a famous person's public face and his/her private face? Do you think they are different? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss After Tupac and D Foster based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if After Tupac and D Foster is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that After Tupac and D Foster is a youth book changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)