|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say Tash has not lost?
(a) Any weight.
(b) His depressed shuffling.
(c) His stutter.
(d) His swagger or energy.
2. What does the narrator say is the loudest sound in the world?
(a) The sound of a mother crying for her imprisoned son.
(b) The soft sound of prison gates locking.
(c) The sound of a grown man crying from abuse in prison.
(d) The sound of the silence while waiting to be called in to see Tash.
3. Who is Tash?
(a) Emmett's father.
(b) Emmett's older brother who is in jail.
(c) A black minister who is too white.
(d) A black man shot for no reason in a white neighborhood.
4. What does Neeka fear?
(a) Being arrested.
(c) Her mother finding out.
(d) Being beaten or raped.
5. When does Tash expect to be out?
(a) He has no expectations.
(b) The end of summer.
(c) In a week.
(d) Within 2 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Flo?
2. What does the narrator endure in order to get to where they are going?
3. Why does Jayjones think black people have been falsely imprisoned?
4. Where do the girls walk?
5. Where does Tash spend a few weeks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Tash as far as dating and who did he fall for right before he went to prison, what was the man like and what did Tash convince himself about the man?
2. What does Neeka's family do while visiting with Tash and what does Miss Irene say about his lawyer? What does Tash tell her?
3. How does the narrator feel about the amphitheater and what do the girls do on the stage?
4. Where is D going to live and what do the friends vow?
5. What does Jayjones explain to the younger children about what blacks need to do to stay out of trouble?
6. What is D's history with foster homes?
7. What does Tash ask Jayjones and what does Tash say is the first thing he is going to do when he leaves prison?
8. What does Tash look like when he comes into the visitation area and how does he act?
9. Where does D have the girls get off the bus and how do they feel about entering the place where she has brought them?
10. Who was Tash's music teacher and what did he think of Tash's playing?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)