|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Neeka's group share?
(b) A large, picnic-style lunch.
(c) The prison food.
(d) Anger towards Tash for getting in there.
2. What does D vow after hearing the counselor?
(a) To be the perfect child.
(b) To show the counselfor that she was tough.
(c) To find her birth mother who would love her.
(d) To find her birth father who would love her.
3. What does D ask the narrator and Neeka one Friday night?
(a) If they would like to roam with her.
(b) If D can come over for dinner.
(c) If Tash was home yet.
(d) Why Neeka's mother looks down on her.
4. What happens to the narrator and Neeka in May?
(a) They are arrested for loitering.
(b) They both turn 16.
(c) They both turn 12.
(d) They graduate from high school.
5. What does the narrator endure in order to get to where they are going?
(a) Rejection from the college.
(b) Hearing Miss Irene talk on and on.
(c) The pitying glaces of white people.
(d) A poor breakfast and long train and bus rides.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tash's visitors have to go through?
2. Why is Tash imprisoned?
3. To what point does the narration move forward in Chapter 10?
4. What do the three girls vow to do?
5. Where does the narrator go with Miss Irene one Saturday in the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tash do at church before he went to prison?
2. What do Neeka and the narrator do when they come home after being with D in Chapter 11?
3. What does Neeka's family do while visiting with Tash and what does Miss Irene say about his lawyer? What does Tash tell her?
4. What does Jayjones explain to the younger children about what blacks need to do to stay out of trouble?
5. What does Tash look like when he comes into the visitation area and how does he act?
6. What has D learned about her real mother and how does she feel about it?
7. How does Neeka's family enter the prison and how do they feel about the guards?
8. How does the narrator feel about the amphitheater and what do the girls do on the stage?
9. What does Tash ask Jayjones and what does Tash say is the first thing he is going to do when he leaves prison?
10. What does Tash tell Jayjones about crime?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)