|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does D ask one late night when she comes to the narrator's home?
(a) To borrow money.
(b) To have something to eat.
(c) To get advice from the narrator's mother.
(d) To sleep over.
2. Where do D, Neeka and the narrator get off the bus?
(a) At the mall.
(b) At a friend's house where there is a party.
(c) At D's cousin's house.
(d) Near a dark city park.
3. Who is Sly?
(a) A cop.
(b) An effeminate gay man.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A masculine tough man.
4. Who is Flo?
(a) D's real mother.
(b) The narrator's mother.
(c) Neeka's mother.
(d) A kind woman who does not want D for the government benefits.
5. What is it about the East Side train that makes the narrator and Neeka's family uneasy?
(a) The train is swaying and making them a little seasick.
(b) The train is full of white people.
(c) Not knowing exactly where they are supposed to get off.
(d) The tracks are really rough.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Neeka think she could help Tash out of his legal problems?
2. About what does Neeka complain?
3. When does Tash expect to be out?
4. Why does Jayjones think black people have been falsely imprisoned?
5. What do Tash's visitors have to go through?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tash look like when he comes into the visitation area and how does he act?
2. What does Jayjones explain to the younger children about what blacks need to do to stay out of trouble?
3. How does Miss Irene react to the photographer in Chapter 15?
4. What does Neeka say she wants to do when she grows up?
5. Where does D have the girls get off the bus and how do they feel about entering the place where she has brought them?
6. Where is D going to live and what do the friends vow?
7. In Chapter 11, what does D ask the narrator and Neeka if they want to do, what is their response?
8. What shocks Neeka and the narrator while listening to music and preparing for Tash's welcome home party? What do they learn about D?
9. What do Neeka and the narrator do when they come home after being with D in Chapter 11?
10. What does the narrator's mother give her for her birthday?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)