|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon what does the narrator remark concerning the beautiful day?
(a) She can't wait for Tupac to get out of prison and experience such a beautiful day.
(b) She can't imagine seeing the day through prison bars.
(c) It is ironic that it is such a beautiful day considering where they are going.
(d) She hopes all Neeka's days will be this beautiful.
2. To what does the narrator relate Tupac's arrest?
(a) To how slaves were brutalized.
(b) To Mandela's arrest.
(c) To Mahatma Gandhi's arrest.
(d) To the arrest of others in Queens.
3. What does Neeka say about Tash?
(a) He is scary.
(b) At least he is out of drugs in prison.
(c) He has a bad temper, but would not do any more than slap a person.
(d) He would not hurt a fly.
4. Why does going to a juvenile detention center seem appealing to Neeka?
(a) Because then her mother couldn't make her babysit.
(b) For some peace and quiet.
(c) To show solidarity with Tash.
(d) She would be horrified to go to such a place.
5. Why do some people take on D as a foster child?
(a) To make her work and keep the house.
(b) To abuse her.
(c) For the government benefits.
(d) As a live in babysitter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Tash convinced about Sly?
2. What is it about the East Side train that makes the narrator and Neeka's family uneasy?
3. Why is the narrator hesitant about D's request?
4. When does Tash expect to be out?
5. What do the three girls vow to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tash ask Jayjones and what does Tash say is the first thing he is going to do when he leaves prison?
2. What shocks Neeka and the narrator while listening to music and preparing for Tash's welcome home party? What do they learn about D?
3. What does Neeka complain about on the way to the prison and what does she think she can do about it?
4. What do Neeka and the narrator do when they come home after being with D in Chapter 11?
5. What does Jayjones explain to the younger children about what blacks need to do to stay out of trouble?
6. What did Sly and a friend of his do to Tash and Randall?
7. What does Neeka say she wants to do when she grows up?
8. What does Tash look like when he comes into the visitation area and how does he act?
9. How does the narrator feel about the amphitheater and what do the girls do on the stage?
10. What has D learned about her real mother and how does she feel about it?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)