|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator doing when she says she feels whole for the first time?
(a) Snorting cocaine.
(b) Dancing with a very handsome young man.
(c) Singing for the party guests.
(d) Standing on the stage in the amphitheater.
2. Where does Tash spend a few weeks?
(a) Rikers Island.
(b) Staten Island.
(c) Long Island.
3. For how long is Tupac sentenced?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 2 years.
(c) Up to 4 1/2 years.
(d) 60 days.
4. When does Tash expect to be out?
(a) He has no expectations.
(b) The end of summer.
(c) Within 2 years.
(d) In a week.
5. What effect does Tupac's imprisonment have on him?
(a) It enrages him.
(b) It sends him into deep depression.
(c) It makes him decide to change his life.
(d) It numbs him.
6. What does Neeka want to do?
(a) Become an actress.
(b) Become a model.
(c) Become a law or math professor.
(d) Become a rapper like Tupac.
7. Why does Jayjones think black people have been falsely imprisoned?
(a) He does not know why.
(b) They can't afford good lawyers.
(d) They are not given fair trials because the system is too overloaded.
8. Why does Randall not tell his side of the story?
(a) He hates Tash now.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is hospitalized.
(d) He is intimidated.
9. Who is Randall?
(a) Tash's piano teacher.
(b) Tash's big brother.
(c) Neeka's boyfriend.
(d) Miss Irene's son.
10. To what point does the narration move forward in Chapter 10?
(a) Three years later.
(b) The next May.
(d) Two years later.
11. What happens to the narrator and Neeka in May?
(a) They both turn 16.
(b) They are arrested for loitering.
(c) They graduate from high school.
(d) They both turn 12.
12. Why is Neeka resentful on the trip?
(a) She was supposed to go to the movies with a boy that day.
(b) She was supposed to go to a birthday party that day.
(c) She has to watch her two younger brothers.
(d) She does not feel well.
13. What does Sly convince Tash to do?
(a) Take Sly and a friend to Randall's home.
(b) Beat up a cop.
(c) Go to an illegal gambling joint.
(d) Borrow some money and bet on some horses.
14. What does the narrator say about D's mother?
(a) She is French.
(b) She is strange.
(c) She is white.
(d) She is extremely black.
15. What does the narrator endure in order to get to where they are going?
(a) Hearing Miss Irene talk on and on.
(b) A poor breakfast and long train and bus rides.
(c) The pitying glaces of white people.
(d) Rejection from the college.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tash's recklessness get him in trouble?
2. Where did Tash play piano before going to prison?
3. Why does going to a juvenile detention center seem appealing to Neeka?
4. What does the narrator envy about Neeka?
5. What does the narrator compare herself to regarding her height?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)