|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator go with Miss Irene one Saturday in the summer?
(a) To interview at a college.
(b) To the amphiteater where she had such an emotional experience.
(c) To visit Tash in prison.
(d) To see Neeka's father in a hospital.
2. Why does Randall not tell his side of the story?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He hates Tash now.
(c) He is intimidated.
(d) He is hospitalized.
3. Who is Tash?
(a) Emmett's father.
(b) A black man shot for no reason in a white neighborhood.
(c) A black minister who is too white.
(d) Emmett's older brother who is in jail.
4. How does Tash refer to himself?
(c) The Queen.
(d) The Princess.
5. What is the narrator doing when she says she feels whole for the first time?
(a) Singing for the party guests.
(b) Snorting cocaine.
(c) Dancing with a very handsome young man.
(d) Standing on the stage in the amphitheater.
6. What does Neeka want to attain?
(a) A published book.
(b) Enough money to hire a babysitter for her brothers.
(c) She has no idea.
(d) Tupac's level of fame.
7. About what does Neeka complain?
(a) Her mother making her come with them.
(b) Her noisy family.
(c) The way her mother pays more attention to her brothers.
(d) Her brother doing something to get in prison.
8. What does Neeka want to do?
(a) Become a rapper like Tupac.
(b) Become an actress.
(c) Become a model.
(d) Become a law or math professor.
9. What do the three girls vow to do?
(a) Stay friends forever.
(b) Go to speak on Flo's behalf.
(c) Hide D.
(d) Write D every day.
10. Of what is Tash convinced about Sly?
(a) That he is gay.
(b) That he is wealthy.
(c) That he is a racist.
(d) That he is corrupt.
11. How does the narrator describe the prison guards?
(a) As cold.
(b) As intimidating.
(c) As friendly.
(d) As kindly.
12. When does Tash expect to be out?
(a) In a week.
(b) The end of summer.
(c) He has no expectations.
(d) Within 2 years.
13. What does the narrator say is the loudest sound in the world?
(a) The sound of a grown man crying from abuse in prison.
(b) The sound of the silence while waiting to be called in to see Tash.
(c) The soft sound of prison gates locking.
(d) The sound of a mother crying for her imprisoned son.
14. Who is Sly?
(a) A cop.
(b) A masculine tough man.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) An effeminate gay man.
15. What does D vow after hearing the counselor?
(a) To be the perfect child.
(b) To show the counselfor that she was tough.
(c) To find her birth father who would love her.
(d) To find her birth mother who would love her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator hesitant about D's request?
2. What is the news about Tash?
3. What does the narrator say is the effect of Tash's music?
4. What does the narrator endure in order to get to where they are going?
5. Where does Tash spend a few weeks?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)