|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the girls walk?
(a) To a large amphitheater in the park.
(b) To an ice cream store.
(c) To the basement where the party is going on.
(d) The the cousin's neighbor's house.
2. What does Neeka think she cannot find in her family?
(a) Her Big Purpose.
(c) A man who will tolerate them.
3. Of what is Tash convinced about Sly?
(a) That he is wealthy.
(b) That he is corrupt.
(c) That he is gay.
(d) That he is a racist.
4. What does Sly convince Tash to do?
(a) Borrow some money and bet on some horses.
(b) Beat up a cop.
(c) Go to an illegal gambling joint.
(d) Take Sly and a friend to Randall's home.
5. How is Sly whenever Tash meets him?
(b) Acts like a Queen.
(c) Cold and aloof.
(d) Alone and seemingly friendless.
6. Why is Neeka resentful on the trip?
(a) She was supposed to go to a birthday party that day.
(b) She does not feel well.
(c) She has to watch her two younger brothers.
(d) She was supposed to go to the movies with a boy that day.
7. What does D learn that the court system has done?
(a) Revoked Flo's rights to be a foster mother.
(b) Approved Flo's adoption request.
(c) Approved D's real mother to take her.
(d) Decided to send D to her real father in another State.
8. To what point does the narration move forward in Chapter 10?
(a) Three years later.
(c) The next May.
(d) Two years later.
9. What is one thing Jayjones says black people cannot do?
(a) Sing in public.
(b) Attend church in peace.
(c) Look at a cop in the eyes.
(d) Walk too fast.
10. Why is the narrator hesitant about D's request?
(a) She doesn't have the subway fare.
(b) She knows her mother does not like D and would not invite her to dinner.
(c) She is not allowed to do what D asks.
(d) She is supposed to babysit.
11. What does the narrator endure in order to get to where they are going?
(a) The pitying glaces of white people.
(b) Rejection from the college.
(c) A poor breakfast and long train and bus rides.
(d) Hearing Miss Irene talk on and on.
12. Why does young Albert have to take off his wire-rimmed glasses?
(a) They are fogging up because he is crying.
(b) He doesn't wear glasses.
(c) So he cannot give them to Tash to make a knife out of.
(d) To go through the metal detector.
13. For how long is Tupac sentenced?
(a) 2 years.
(b) Up to 4 1/2 years.
(c) 60 days.
(d) 1 year.
14. How does Neeka think she could help Tash out of his legal problems?
(a) By writing her congress person.
(b) By learning the law.
(c) By helping him make better choices.
(d) She does not know.
15. Who is Sly?
(a) An effeminate gay man.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A cop.
(d) A masculine tough man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say is the effect of Tash's music?
2. What is the narrator doing when she says she feels whole for the first time?
3. What is the news about Tash?
4. How does Tash refer to himself?
5. About what does Neeka complain?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)