|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the prison guards?
(a) As intimidating.
(b) As kindly.
(c) As cold.
(d) As friendly.
2. What does Jayjones say happens to black men in the wrong places?
(b) They are beaten by white gan?gs.
(c) They are shot by police without even asking the men questions.
(d) They are harrassed by white police.
3. What is one thing Jayjones says black people cannot do?
(a) Attend church in peace.
(b) Look at a cop in the eyes.
(c) Walk too fast.
(d) Sing in public.
4. What does the narrator envy about Neeka?
(a) Her family's money.
(b) Her perfect features.
(c) Her noisy family.
(d) Neeka's brilliance.
5. What do the three girls vow to do?
(a) Write D every day.
(b) Stay friends forever.
(c) Hide D.
(d) Go to speak on Flo's behalf.
6. What does D learn that the court system has done?
(a) Revoked Flo's rights to be a foster mother.
(b) Decided to send D to her real father in another State.
(c) Approved Flo's adoption request.
(d) Approved D's real mother to take her.
7. What does Neeka's group share?
(a) The prison food.
(c) Anger towards Tash for getting in there.
(d) A large, picnic-style lunch.
8. Why do some people take on D as a foster child?
(a) To make her work and keep the house.
(b) As a live in babysitter.
(c) To abuse her.
(d) For the government benefits.
9. What does D say about a counselor's statement in a group home?
(a) The counselor says that D has more potential than any child there.
(b) The counselor says that D's kind of child is a throwaway kid.
(c) The counselor says that D is wonderful.
(d) The counselor says that D is no good.
10. What is it about the East Side train that makes the narrator and Neeka's family uneasy?
(a) The train is swaying and making them a little seasick.
(b) The train is full of white people.
(c) The tracks are really rough.
(d) Not knowing exactly where they are supposed to get off.
11. Where do the girls make snow angels?
(a) They do not since the snow is not heavy enough.
(b) In the grass by the bus stop.
(c) In front of their house on the sidewalk.
(d) In the snow on the stage.
12. Why is the narrator hesitant about D's request?
(a) She is not allowed to do what D asks.
(b) She knows her mother does not like D and would not invite her to dinner.
(c) She is supposed to babysit.
(d) She doesn't have the subway fare.
13. What is the narrator doing when she says she feels whole for the first time?
(a) Standing on the stage in the amphitheater.
(b) Dancing with a very handsome young man.
(c) Singing for the party guests.
(d) Snorting cocaine.
14. Where do the girls walk?
(a) To the basement where the party is going on.
(b) To a large amphitheater in the park.
(c) The the cousin's neighbor's house.
(d) To an ice cream store.
15. What quality does Neeka want to have?
(c) She does not say.
(d) Sex appeal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Daneeka Lucy Jones?
2. About what does Neeka complain?
3. What does D vow after hearing the counselor?
4. To what does the narrator relate Tupac's arrest?
5. Where do D, Neeka and the narrator get off the bus?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)