|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is behind the picture from the narrator's mother?
(a) A letter to her daughter.
(b) 20 dollars.
(c) 10 dollars.
(d) A letter from her father.
2. What do the three girls vow to do?
(a) Go to speak on Flo's behalf.
(b) Write D every day.
(c) Hide D.
(d) Stay friends forever.
3. Where do D, Neeka and the narrator get off the bus?
(a) Near a dark city park.
(b) At the mall.
(c) At a friend's house where there is a party.
(d) At D's cousin's house.
4. Where does the narrator go with Miss Irene one Saturday in the summer?
(a) To the amphiteater where she had such an emotional experience.
(b) To see Neeka's father in a hospital.
(c) To visit Tash in prison.
(d) To interview at a college.
5. What do Tash's visitors have to go through?
(a) A brief lecture on what they can and can't do.
(b) A strip search.
(c) A metal detector.
(d) A lecture on the justice system.
6. How does the narrator describe the prison guards?
(a) As friendly.
(b) As intimidating.
(c) As cold.
(d) As kindly.
7. Why is Tash imprisoned?
(a) As an accomplish to murder.
(b) For illegal drugs.
(c) For assault on a police officer.
(d) As an accomplice to assault and robbery.
8. How is Sly whenever Tash meets him?
(a) Acts like a Queen.
(c) Cold and aloof.
(d) Alone and seemingly friendless.
9. Who is Tash?
(a) Emmett's older brother who is in jail.
(b) A black man shot for no reason in a white neighborhood.
(c) A black minister who is too white.
(d) Emmett's father.
10. What does the narrator endure in order to get to where they are going?
(a) The pitying glaces of white people.
(b) Hearing Miss Irene talk on and on.
(c) A poor breakfast and long train and bus rides.
(d) Rejection from the college.
11. To what does the narrator relate Tupac's arrest?
(a) To Mandela's arrest.
(b) To Mahatma Gandhi's arrest.
(c) To how slaves were brutalized.
(d) To the arrest of others in Queens.
12. About what does Neeka complain?
(a) Her brother doing something to get in prison.
(b) The way her mother pays more attention to her brothers.
(c) Her noisy family.
(d) Her mother making her come with them.
13. What do Sly and his friend testify?
(a) That Tash has nothing to do with the robbery.
(b) That Tash was in on the robbery.
(c) That Tash is the one who kills Randall.
(d) That Tash was the only one in on the robbery.
14. What does the narrator say is the effect of Tash's music?
(a) The lyrics bothered a lot of people.
(b) She does not mention Tash's music.
(c) It made ladies cry.
(d) It enlivened everyone.
15. What effect does Tupac's imprisonment have on him?
(a) It enrages him.
(b) It makes him decide to change his life.
(c) It sends him into deep depression.
(d) It numbs him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the news about Tash?
2. What does the narrator say is the loudest sound in the world?
3. Where did Tash play piano before going to prison?
4. What does Neeka think she cannot find in her family?
5. What does the narrator say about D's mother?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)