|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tash's recklessness get him in trouble?
(a) He loses his friends through it.
(b) He gets in spats with the police.
(c) He falls in love with the wrong men.
(d) He is easily led to crime.
2. What happens to the narrator and Neeka in May?
(a) They both turn 12.
(b) They are arrested for loitering.
(c) They both turn 16.
(d) They graduate from high school.
3. What does the narrator compare herself to regarding her height?
(a) She is as tall as her older brother.
(b) She is taller than her mother or father.
(c) She is as tall as Wilt Chamberlain.
(d) She is taller than D or Neeka.
4. What does D ask the narrator and Neeka one Friday night?
(a) Why Neeka's mother looks down on her.
(b) If Tash was home yet.
(c) If they would like to roam with her.
(d) If D can come over for dinner.
5. What does Neeka think she cannot find in her family?
(b) Her Big Purpose.
(c) A man who will tolerate them.
6. Where does Tash spend a few weeks?
(a) Staten Island.
(b) Rikers Island.
(d) Long Island.
7. What is the news about Tash?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He is getting out of jail.
(c) He is being moved to another prison.
(d) He has been given another year for bad behavior.
8. Upon what does the narrator remark concerning the beautiful day?
(a) She can't imagine seeing the day through prison bars.
(b) It is ironic that it is such a beautiful day considering where they are going.
(c) She hopes all Neeka's days will be this beautiful.
(d) She can't wait for Tupac to get out of prison and experience such a beautiful day.
9. Why is the narrator hesitant about D's request?
(a) She is supposed to babysit.
(b) She doesn't have the subway fare.
(c) She is not allowed to do what D asks.
(d) She knows her mother does not like D and would not invite her to dinner.
10. About what does Neeka complain?
(a) The way her mother pays more attention to her brothers.
(b) Her brother doing something to get in prison.
(c) Her mother making her come with them.
(d) Her noisy family.
11. Why do some people take on D as a foster child?
(a) For the government benefits.
(b) To abuse her.
(c) As a live in babysitter.
(d) To make her work and keep the house.
12. Who is Sly?
(a) A cop.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A masculine tough man.
(d) An effeminate gay man.
13. Where did Tash play piano before going to prison?
(b) A local nightclub.
(c) In his school orchestra.
(d) For his school chorus.
14. What does Neeka say about Tash?
(a) He has a bad temper, but would not do any more than slap a person.
(b) He would not hurt a fly.
(c) He is scary.
(d) At least he is out of drugs in prison.
15. To what does the narrator relate Tupac's arrest?
(a) To Mahatma Gandhi's arrest.
(b) To the arrest of others in Queens.
(c) To how slaves were brutalized.
(d) To Mandela's arrest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sly and the other man do at Randall's?
2. Who is Flo?
3. What do the three girls vow to do?
4. What do Tash's visitors have to go through?
5. What does Jayjones say about black men?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)