|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What racial heritage is D?
2. Of what does Jayjones accuse Neeka?
(a) Of sounding like their mother.
(b) Of wanting him to be someone he is not.
(c) Of wanting him to become too white.
(d) Of doing something that made the cop bother him.
3. How does the day end in Chapter 1?
(a) D teasing Neeka's older brother.
(b) The narrator having dinner with her mother.
(c) Neeka hurting her ankle.
(d) D returning home.
4. Where was Tupac's mother when she was pregnant with him?
(a) The book doesn't say.
(b) In Washington, D.C.
(c) In jail.
(d) Living with his father.
5. For whom is Neeka's brother Albert named?
(a) Albert Einstein.
(b) Albert Louis-Jean.
(c) Albert Schweitzer.
(d) Albert Brooks.
6. For what is Jayjones known?
(a) Playing basketball.
(b) Being a straight A student.
(c) Having a car.
(d) Playing football.
7. What does the narrator think she read about Albert's namesake?
(a) He was not a nice man.
(b) He died young.
(c) He was born with a brain disorder.
(d) He was really black.
8. What did Tupac's shooting cause some people to call him?
(a) A drug runner.
(b) An unlucky dude.
(c) A gangster.
(d) A hate mongrel.
9. What does D think one needs to find in life?
(a) A big purpose.
(b) A kind boyfriend.
(c) A lot of friends.
(d) A way to get around the system.
10. Why might the boys like D better than Neeka or the narrator?
(a) D knows how to flirt better.
(b) D is maturing physically faster.
(c) D has more freedom than the other two.
(d) D is the new girl on the block.
11. Who arrives with swollen eyes from crying?
(b) No one.
12. Why does the narrator call Neeka's second brother a queen?
(a) Because it makes him angry and he is fun to tease.
(b) He likes to dress in female clothing but he dates women.
(c) To indicate he is gay.
(d) He waves at cars like he is the Queen of England.
13. Why does the narrator's mother question her about D?
(a) To make certain that D has enough food.
(b) To find out if D is a classmate.
(c) To find out if D is homeless.
(d) To ensure she is not the wrong type of person for her daughter to know.
14. What does the narrator think Mama is thinking of when Mama looks sadly out the window?
(a) Of the narrator's father.
(b) Of getting out of that neighborhood.
(c) Of the family the Mama was raised in.
(d) Of what could have been.
15. What are Neeka and the narrator doing?
(a) Playing jacks.
(b) Sitting on the stoop talking.
(c) Teaching kids to jump rope.
(d) Playing hopscotch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have several colleges contacted Jayjones?
2. What is D allowed to do during the day?
3. Why does D obey her foster mother?
4. What is D's biggest dream?
5. In Chapter 1, to where does the narrator flashback?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)