|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who watches the three girls jump rope?
(a) The older boys.
(b) The younger girls.
(c) Neeka's mother.
(d) The narrator's mother.
2. What does D say is the reason she came to the block where Neeka and the narrator are?
(a) That was as far as her money would take her on the bus.
(b) It is no gang territory.
(c) Her aunt lives there.
(d) The pretty trees.
3. Of what is the rapper Tupac accused?
(a) Killing a taxi driver accidentally.
(b) Sexually abusing a young woman.
(c) Obscene lyrics.
(d) Income tax evasion.
4. For what was Tupac known?
(a) He was a rapper.
(b) He was a football player.
(c) He was an actor.
(d) He was a rock singer.
5. Why was Albert named as he was?
(a) He was born looking smart.
(b) He looked very athletic.
(c) He was very light skinned.
(d) He looked like he was going to be funny.
6. What do the three girls have with the jump rope?
(a) Instant rhythm.
(b) Fights about turns.
(c) Skinned knees.
(d) Stong arms.
7. What does D think one needs to find in life?
(a) A kind boyfriend.
(b) A big purpose.
(c) A lot of friends.
(d) A way to get around the system.
8. What do Neeka and the narrator decide?
(a) The sidewalk is too cracked to play hopscotch.
(b) Everyone has to learn jump rope on her own.
(c) Jacks are for babies.
(d) The baby brother is a lot of trouble.
9. What is D's biggest dream?
(a) She will marry a wealthy man.
(b) She will become a movie star.
(c) She will go to college.
(d) Her biological mother will come for her.
10. What does D say to Neeka and the narrator when they meet and they ask about her family?
(a) She is an only child.
(b) She has two brothers.
(c) She has four brothers and a sister.
(d) She has one brother and one sister.
11. What does Jayjones think will not help racism?
(a) The class on racism that is required in school.
(b) The cops stopping black men for no reason.
(c) A suit and college degree.
(d) Letting the white boys win the basketball pickup game.
12. Why does the narrator call Neeka's second brother a queen?
(a) He waves at cars like he is the Queen of England.
(b) Because it makes him angry and he is fun to tease.
(c) To indicate he is gay.
(d) He likes to dress in female clothing but he dates women.
13. What do Neeka and the narrator hear on the radio?
(a) That Tupac has been shot.
(b) That some white boys beat up a black kid on the ball court.
(c) That Tupac is sentenced to 20 years.
(d) That Tupac is acquitted.
14. Why is Tash in jail?
(a) Gang fighting.
(b) An unnamed crime.
(c) House burglary.
(d) Armed robbery.
15. What racial heritage is D?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the narrator see Tupac?
2. What does Jayjones bring home for the three girls to eat?
3. What did Tupac do while he was in jail?
4. Who hassles Jayjones?
5. How does Neeka's mother feel about D when she first meets her?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)