|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is Jayjones known?
(a) Playing basketball.
(b) Playing football.
(c) Having a car.
(d) Being a straight A student.
2. What racial heritage is D?
3. What does D say is the reason she came to the block where Neeka and the narrator are?
(a) It is no gang territory.
(b) Her aunt lives there.
(c) The pretty trees.
(d) That was as far as her money would take her on the bus.
4. Who arrives with swollen eyes from crying?
(a) No one.
5. What do Neeka and the narrator decide?
(a) The sidewalk is too cracked to play hopscotch.
(b) Jacks are for babies.
(c) Everyone has to learn jump rope on her own.
(d) The baby brother is a lot of trouble.
6. What makes the narrator jealous of D?
(a) Jayjones walks her to the bus stop.
(b) D has a new dress.
(c) Jayjones asks her to the movies.
(d) Neeka's other brother walks D to the bus stop.
7. Why does Jayjones think he was hassled?
(a) Because he was going up the down escalator.
(b) Because he is black.
(c) Because he was a smart aleck.
(d) Because he knocked over a white boy in the ball game.
8. In what movie does Tupac play a starring role?
(a) Just Set Your Course.
(c) Snappin' Rappin'.
9. How does D feel about her mother?
(a) She doesn't know her mother.
(b) She has no feelings about her.
(c) She hates her.
(d) She admires her.
10. For whom is Neeka's brother Albert named?
(a) Albert Louis-Jean.
(b) Albert Brooks.
(c) Albert Einstein.
(d) Albert Schweitzer.
11. What school does Jayjones attend?
(a) Washington School for the Arts.
(b) He is out of school.
(c) Lincoln High.
(d) Grady High School.
12. On what day are Neeka and the narrator outside?
(a) The day after Thanksgiving.
(b) Easter Sunday.
(c) Thanksgiving Day.
(d) Friday before Thanksgiving.
13. How does the narrator feel when Jayjones tells her about pretty girls and eating?
(a) She feels angry.
(c) She dislikes Jayjones.
(d) She thinks it is funny.
14. What does Brenda do with her baby in a song?
(a) Lets the father take it.
(b) Raises it by herself.
(c) Throws it in the garbage can.
(d) Gives it up for adoption.
15. Who watches the three girls jump rope?
(a) The younger girls.
(b) Neeka's mother.
(c) The narrator's mother.
(d) The older boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Neeka's mother like?
2. What habit does the narrator pick up from D that her mother dislikes?
3. What does Jayjones bring home for the three girls to eat?
4. What is D's foster mother's name?
5. What does D say to Neeka and the narrator when they meet and they ask about her family?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)