|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the day end in Chapter 1?
(a) Neeka hurting her ankle.
(b) D returning home.
(c) D teasing Neeka's older brother.
(d) The narrator having dinner with her mother.
2. What do the three girls have with the jump rope?
(a) Skinned knees.
(b) Instant rhythm.
(c) Stong arms.
(d) Fights about turns.
3. Why have the narrator and Neeka not gone to visit D at her house?
(a) D won't let them see where she lives.
(b) They aren't allowed to leave the block.
(c) They don't have money for the bus.
(d) They have never wanted to visit D.
4. How do the narrator and Neeka feel about D?
(b) Very fond.
(c) Don't like her.
(d) Snobbish towards her.
5. What does Jayjones think will not help racism?
(a) Letting the white boys win the basketball pickup game.
(b) The class on racism that is required in school.
(c) A suit and college degree.
(d) The cops stopping black men for no reason.
6. What does the narrator think Mama is thinking of when Mama looks sadly out the window?
(a) Of the family the Mama was raised in.
(b) Of getting out of that neighborhood.
(c) Of what could have been.
(d) Of the narrator's father.
7. What are Neeka and the narrator doing?
(a) Playing hopscotch.
(b) Sitting on the stoop talking.
(c) Teaching kids to jump rope.
(d) Playing jacks.
8. For what is Jayjones known?
(a) Playing football.
(b) Being a straight A student.
(c) Having a car.
(d) Playing basketball.
9. How did the narrator see Tupac?
(a) As a hero and survivor.
(b) As someone who wrote hateful songs.
(c) As a violent gang member.
(d) As a truly great ball player.
10. Why do Neeka and the narrator quit what they are doing?
(a) Neeka has to change her baby brother's diaper.
(b) Neeka's mother calls her home.
(c) The ice cream truck pulls up.
(d) The kids won't listen to them.
11. About what does Neeka tease D when D returns in a few days with a jump rope?
(a) About hanging out with the narrator.
(b) About having a lot of brothers.
(c) About liking her only so she can jump rope.
(d) About being an only child.
12. How does Neeka's mother feel about D when she first meets her?
13. What makes the narrator jealous of D?
(a) Neeka's other brother walks D to the bus stop.
(b) Jayjones asks her to the movies.
(c) D has a new dress.
(d) Jayjones walks her to the bus stop.
14. How many sets of twins does Neeka's family have?
15. What does D think one needs to find in life?
(a) A way to get around the system.
(b) A big purpose.
(c) A lot of friends.
(d) A kind boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is D's foster mother's name?
2. For what does D envy Neeka?
3. What does Tupac's death force the narrator to consider?
4. How do the narrator and Neeka know each other?
5. How does D feel about her mother?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)