|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the end of the night, the two have ______________.
2. Final exams are coming up at school, and while a whiz at English and composition, Mary Alice struggled with __________.
3. Who is her true family?
4. Valentine's Day is coming. Around this time, Mary Alice has been secretly doing what?
5. The Christmas program is getting closer, and while Carleen Lovejoy has a magnificent costume, Mary Alice has only what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is learned about Mrs. Weidenbach? How is this significant?
2. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
3. What is the final surprise in this chapter? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
4. What is another way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this surprise important?
5. Why does Mrs. Weidenbach ask for Grandma's help? Why is this surprising?
6. What is one way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this important?
7. How do Ina-Rae and Mary Alice get back at Carleen? Why do they do it in this way?
8. Why might the townspeople act this way toward this strange man?
9. How does Grandma take advantage of this man? Why does she do this?
10. Why does Grandma change her mind regarding Mrs. Weidenbach's request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A "dangerous man" arrives in town.
Part 1) Who is this man? Describe him and the reason he is in town. Why might people of this town consider him dangerous? How do these fears affect the way they treat him? How does Grandma take advantage of this? Why does she do this?
Part 2) Describe the event that leads the citizens of this town to like him even less? Is he to blame for this surprising and shocking incident? Why or why not? Why does the town see him as guilty?
Part 3) How does Grandma help to turn the town's opinion around regarding this man? Why does she want to help him? What does this turn-around reinforce about this town?
Essay Topic 2
Grandma lives in a small hick town.
Part 1) Describe this small town and its inhabitants. Why does Mary Alice think she will not like this town? In the end, does Mary Alice end up liking the town? Why or why not?
Part 2) What does this town reveal about Americans throughout the country during the 1930s? What aspects of this town are universal and could represent many towns throughout the U.S.?
Part 3) How does this town compare to your own? How have Americans changed since the 1930s? How have they stayed the same? What are possible causes of these similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 3
This book is a work of historical fiction.
Part 1) What details in the book make it a work of historical fiction? How are these details important to the story? How are they also important to the reader? Would this boo be as enticing and engaging without these historical facts? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why might someone choose to write a work of historical fiction? What is the purpose of all works of historical fiction? What is your opinion of historical fiction? Why? Has your opinion of historical fiction been influenced by reading this book? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is your favorite genre? Why?
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)