|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the end of the night, the two have ______________.
2. To everyone's surprise, Mary Alice is chosen to play what part?
3. Mrs. Weidenbach and the DAR ladies arrive and are ____________ the women's presence.
4. To everyone's consternation, Maxine Patch bounds down the stairs how?
5. Carleen is incensed that mousy Ina-Rae would get more attention on Valentine's Day than her. Later, what is revealed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ina-Rae and Mary Alice get back at Carleen? Why do they do it in this way?
2. How does Mary Alice finally take a chance and ask Royce over to visit? How does Grandma feel about this? Why?
3. Why does Mrs. Weidenbach ask for Grandma's help? Why is this surprising?
4. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
5. What newspaper column does Mary Alice write? Why might she do this?
6. What is the most important part of the Christmas program? Why is it surprising that Mary Alice is chosen to play an important role in this? Why might she have been chosen?
7. What is one way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this important?
8. How does Grandma initially respond to Mrs. Weidenbach's request? Why?
9. How do the girls react when a new boy enrolls in school? How does Mary Alice act? Why might she act this way?
10. What is another way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this surprise important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mildred Burdick is a bully.
Part 1) How is Mildred a bully? Why is she a bully? How has this bad behavior been passed down through the generations in the Burdick family?
Part 2) How are others affected by Mildred's behavior? What happens to Mildred by the end of the book? What does this say about bullies? What might this also reveal about the author's opinion of bullies?
Part 3) How have you been affected by bullying? How have you dealt with bullying? How has society worked toward stopping bullying? Has it been successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Armistice Day is an important day in this town.
Part 1) What is the purpose of Armistice Day? How does this town celebrate this day? How are these celebrations important? Why is this day especially important to Grandma?
Part 2) What holidays in our own culture today serve a similar purpose? How are these holidays important? How do you celebrate these holidays? Do you believe most ways in which Americans celebrate these holidays are adequate and reflect the purpose of these holidays? Why or why not?
Part 3) How has war been a significant aspect of American culture? Why? How has war been a constant part of human interaction throughout time? What does this reveal about humans?
Essay Topic 3
This book is a work of historical fiction.
Part 1) What details in the book make it a work of historical fiction? How are these details important to the story? How are they also important to the reader? Would this boo be as enticing and engaging without these historical facts? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why might someone choose to write a work of historical fiction? What is the purpose of all works of historical fiction? What is your opinion of historical fiction? Why? Has your opinion of historical fiction been influenced by reading this book? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is your favorite genre? Why?
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)