|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Weidenbach is ready to__________ at these horrible new revelations.
2. While Mary Alice thinks Christmas is not exactly Grandma's favorite holiday, Grandma surprises her how?
3. By this time, Mary Alice has made a friend, _______________, and is on better terms with several girls.
4. Who invited the two ancient ladies to the DAR event?
5. DAR is having its annual gathering to celebrate what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is this man in town? What does Grandma think of this?
2. How is Mary Alice's date interrupted? How is this foreshadowed?
3. How is Carleen Lovejoy like Mildred Burdick?
4. Why might the townspeople act this way toward this strange man?
5. What does Bootsie bring back to Mary Alice? Why might he do this?
6. How do the girls react when a new boy enrolls in school? How does Mary Alice act? Why might she act this way?
7. What is another way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this surprise important?
8. What newspaper column does Mary Alice write? Why might she do this?
9. How does Grandma take advantage of this man? Why does she do this?
10. How does Mary Alice finally take a chance and ask Royce over to visit? How does Grandma feel about this? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Alice and Ina-Rae conspire against Carleen.
Part 1) How do these girls use Valentine's Day to get back at Carleen? Why do they do this? Are they successful? Why or why not? What does this behavior reveal about Mary Alice at this point in the story?
Part 2) How else does Mary Alice begin to take a stand for herself and others throughout this book? Why does she do this? How does her behavior compare to Grandma's?
Part 3) How can you stand up more for yourself and others? Would you consider using tactics similar to those used by Mary Alice and Grandma? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Grandma is a unique character.
Part 1) Describe your initial thoughts about Grandma. How did your opinion of her change by the end of the book? Why did your opinion change?
Part 2) What issues does Grandma's behavior bring up? What is her opinion of these issues? Why? How does your opinion compare to hers? Are your beliefs questioned by reading this book? Why or why not?
Part 3) What would the world be like if more people were like Grandma? Would this be a better place? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A tornado hits the town.
Part 1) Describe the events surrounding the tornado. How did this tornado affect the citizens of this town? Why did the author have a tornado touch down in this town? What is revealed through this natural disaster?
Part 2) What other major events take place in this story? How are these events important? How do they affect the plot and the characters?
Part 3) What events have been significant in your own life? How have these events affected you? How do these events compare to the events in this story?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)