|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carleen Lovejoy will play the leader of ______________, and she is intent on outshining all others.
2. Who tells her that she was actually adopted?
3. The town seems to come down on whose side, regarding this event?
4. What is the DAR?
5. In response, Grandma plays matchmaker and hosts a dinner with Arnold Green and who?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the most important part of the Christmas program? Why is it surprising that Mary Alice is chosen to play an important role in this? Why might she have been chosen?
2. Why might the townspeople act this way toward this strange man?
3. What does Grandma do to pay the bills and survive during the Great Depression? How is this foreshadowed?
4. Why does Grandma change her mind regarding Mrs. Weidenbach's request?
5. Who is the strange man who comes calling? Why?
6. How is Carleen Lovejoy like Mildred Burdick?
7. How does Mary Alice finally take a chance and ask Royce over to visit? How does Grandma feel about this? Why?
8. How do the townspeople treat Arnold after this shocking event? Why?
9. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
10. Why is this man in town? What does Grandma think of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main part of the story ends in celebration.
Part 1) Describe this celebration. How is this celebration important to the people of this town? What other celebrations also take place in this story? Why? How are celebrations an important part of life in this town? Why?
Part 2) How do these celebrations balance out the struggles these people face? How might this have been exceptionally important during the 1930s throughout the United States?
Part 3) How are celebrations important today? What specific holidays are particularly important in one's life today? Why?
Essay Topic 2
A tornado hits the town.
Part 1) Describe the events surrounding the tornado. How did this tornado affect the citizens of this town? Why did the author have a tornado touch down in this town? What is revealed through this natural disaster?
Part 2) What other major events take place in this story? How are these events important? How do they affect the plot and the characters?
Part 3) What events have been significant in your own life? How have these events affected you? How do these events compare to the events in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Many in this town are stingy.
Part 1) Describe four characters in this town who are stingy. Why are they stingy? Would they be stingy if the economy were better? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Grandma encourage these characters to be more giving? Are her tactics morally correct? Why or why not? What other tactics might be as successful? How?
Part 3) Would you consider yourself to be a stingy person? Why or why not? How can you be more giving to others? How can you and others benefit from your increased ability to give?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)