|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By this time, Mary Alice has made a friend, _______________, and is on better terms with several girls.
2. The meeting proceeds, and Mrs. Weidenbach takes an opportunity to brag about what?
3. Valentine's Day is coming. Around this time, Mary Alice has been secretly doing what?
4. What does Bootsie do for Mary Alice?
5. Who is her true family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandma take advantage of this man? Why does she do this?
2. What is another way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this surprise important?
3. Who is the strange man who comes calling? Why?
4. How do the townspeople treat Arnold after this shocking event? Why?
5. What newspaper column does Mary Alice write? Why might she do this?
6. How is Mary Alice's date interrupted? How is this foreshadowed?
7. What does Grandma do to pay the bills and survive during the Great Depression? How is this foreshadowed?
8. Why is this man in town? What does Grandma think of this?
9. Why does Mrs. Weidenbach ask for Grandma's help? Why is this surprising?
10. What is the most important part of the Christmas program? Why is it surprising that Mary Alice is chosen to play an important role in this? Why might she have been chosen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first section begins a pattern that repeats throughout the rest of the book.
Part 1) What is this pattern? How is this pattern significant? What theme does this pattern support? What characters does this pattern and theme affect? How are they affected?
Part 2) How is this pattern and theme relevant to your own life? How can you relate to the characters in this book through this theme?
Part 3) What is another book you have read or story you have heard that has this same theme? Is this a universal theme? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Grandma hunts foxes to survive.
Part 1) Describe Grandma's hunting technique. Are you surprised by her decision to hunt foxes? Why or why not? How might she have come to be a fox hunter? What does this reinforce about her character?
Part 2) What is the purpose for revealing this in the story? How does this help to develop Grandma's character and her relationship with Mary Alice?
Part 3) How have other characters in this story adapted to the hard times of the Great Depression? How might you have adapted at this time to survive? What skills do you posses that would be useful?
Essay Topic 3
Armistice Day is an important day in this town.
Part 1) What is the purpose of Armistice Day? How does this town celebrate this day? How are these celebrations important? Why is this day especially important to Grandma?
Part 2) What holidays in our own culture today serve a similar purpose? How are these holidays important? How do you celebrate these holidays? Do you believe most ways in which Americans celebrate these holidays are adequate and reflect the purpose of these holidays? Why or why not?
Part 3) How has war been a significant aspect of American culture? Why? How has war been a constant part of human interaction throughout time? What does this reveal about humans?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)