|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the chorus practice sound awful?
2. Mrs. Weidenbach is the wife of the ___________, and is the leader of the local chapter of the DAR.
3. By the end of the night, the two have ______________.
4. While Mary Alice thinks Christmas is not exactly Grandma's favorite holiday, Grandma surprises her how?
5. What does Bootsie bring that he will not allow Mary Alice to keep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is learned about Mrs. Weidenbach? How is this significant?
2. Why does Mrs. Weidenbach ask for Grandma's help? Why is this surprising?
3. What is one way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this important?
4. How do the girls react when a new boy enrolls in school? How does Mary Alice act? Why might she act this way?
5. How is Carleen Lovejoy like Mildred Burdick?
6. What is another way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this surprise important?
7. Why might the townspeople act this way toward this strange man?
8. How does Mrs. Weidenbach act when Grandma agrees to bake the tarts, if the meeting is held at Grandma's home? Why does she react this way?
9. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
10. Who is the strange man who comes calling? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mildred Burdick is a bully.
Part 1) How is Mildred a bully? Why is she a bully? How has this bad behavior been passed down through the generations in the Burdick family?
Part 2) How are others affected by Mildred's behavior? What happens to Mildred by the end of the book? What does this say about bullies? What might this also reveal about the author's opinion of bullies?
Part 3) How have you been affected by bullying? How have you dealt with bullying? How has society worked toward stopping bullying? Has it been successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Grandma is a unique character.
Part 1) Describe your initial thoughts about Grandma. How did your opinion of her change by the end of the book? Why did your opinion change?
Part 2) What issues does Grandma's behavior bring up? What is her opinion of these issues? Why? How does your opinion compare to hers? Are your beliefs questioned by reading this book? Why or why not?
Part 3) What would the world be like if more people were like Grandma? Would this be a better place? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Grandma lives in a small hick town.
Part 1) Describe this small town and its inhabitants. Why does Mary Alice think she will not like this town? In the end, does Mary Alice end up liking the town? Why or why not?
Part 2) What does this town reveal about Americans throughout the country during the 1930s? What aspects of this town are universal and could represent many towns throughout the U.S.?
Part 3) How does this town compare to your own? How have Americans changed since the 1930s? How have they stayed the same? What are possible causes of these similarities and differences?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)