|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A terrified Arnold Green pads down the stairs. How does he explain this surprising event?
2. Carleen is incensed that mousy Ina-Rae would get more attention on Valentine's Day than her. Later, what is revealed?
3. The artist, Arnold Green, explains that he is from ________, and that no one has had room in the entire town for him.
4. How is public opinion affected by changes in Arnold's behavior to impress the woman Grandma introduced to him?
5. How does Mary Alice feel about meeting Royce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
2. How does Grandma initially respond to Mrs. Weidenbach's request? Why?
3. How do the girls react when a new boy enrolls in school? How does Mary Alice act? Why might she act this way?
4. How is Mary Alice's date interrupted? How is this foreshadowed?
5. What is learned about Mrs. Weidenbach? How is this significant?
6. How does Mary Alice finally take a chance and ask Royce over to visit? How does Grandma feel about this? Why?
7. What newspaper column does Mary Alice write? Why might she do this?
8. What does Bootsie bring back to Mary Alice? Why might he do this?
9. What does Grandma do to pay the bills and survive during the Great Depression? How is this foreshadowed?
10. How do Ina-Rae and Mary Alice get back at Carleen? Why do they do it in this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mildred Burdick is a bully.
Part 1) How is Mildred a bully? Why is she a bully? How has this bad behavior been passed down through the generations in the Burdick family?
Part 2) How are others affected by Mildred's behavior? What happens to Mildred by the end of the book? What does this say about bullies? What might this also reveal about the author's opinion of bullies?
Part 3) How have you been affected by bullying? How have you dealt with bullying? How has society worked toward stopping bullying? Has it been successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Armistice Day is an important day in this town.
Part 1) What is the purpose of Armistice Day? How does this town celebrate this day? How are these celebrations important? Why is this day especially important to Grandma?
Part 2) What holidays in our own culture today serve a similar purpose? How are these holidays important? How do you celebrate these holidays? Do you believe most ways in which Americans celebrate these holidays are adequate and reflect the purpose of these holidays? Why or why not?
Part 3) How has war been a significant aspect of American culture? Why? How has war been a constant part of human interaction throughout time? What does this reveal about humans?
Essay Topic 3
Many in this town are stingy.
Part 1) Describe four characters in this town who are stingy. Why are they stingy? Would they be stingy if the economy were better? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Grandma encourage these characters to be more giving? Are her tactics morally correct? Why or why not? What other tactics might be as successful? How?
Part 3) Would you consider yourself to be a stingy person? Why or why not? How can you be more giving to others? How can you and others benefit from your increased ability to give?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)