|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At _____________ o' clock, everyone stops to observe a minute of silence for Armistice Day.
2. Every year the _____________________ hosts a sharpshooting contest at the Abernathy farm.
3. Mildred intends to do what by following Mary Alice?
4. What frightens Mary Alice in her room?
5. What is wrong with the principal's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandma raise money for Mrs. Abernathy? Is this a good tactic? Why or why not?
2. What does Mary Alice bring to Grandma's house? Why does she bring this?
3. Describe the events surrounding Augie's attempt to impress Mary Alice. What does this reinforce about his character?
4. How does Old Man Nyquist upset Grandma?
5. How does Grandma get back at Old Man Nyquist? Should she have done this? Why or why not?
6. Why is Mary Alice afraid at night in her room? How does she deal with this fear?
7. What is theme is strong in this section? Support your response with information from this section.
8. What is burgoo stew? How might this represent life during the Great Depression?
9. Why does Mary Alice move in with her grandmother? What does this reveal about the Great Depression?
10. How does Grandma handle these pranksters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is a work of historical fiction.
Part 1) What details in the book make it a work of historical fiction? How are these details important to the story? How are they also important to the reader? Would this boo be as enticing and engaging without these historical facts? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why might someone choose to write a work of historical fiction? What is the purpose of all works of historical fiction? What is your opinion of historical fiction? Why? Has your opinion of historical fiction been influenced by reading this book? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is your favorite genre? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Armistice Day is an important day in this town.
Part 1) What is the purpose of Armistice Day? How does this town celebrate this day? How are these celebrations important? Why is this day especially important to Grandma?
Part 2) What holidays in our own culture today serve a similar purpose? How are these holidays important? How do you celebrate these holidays? Do you believe most ways in which Americans celebrate these holidays are adequate and reflect the purpose of these holidays? Why or why not?
Part 3) How has war been a significant aspect of American culture? Why? How has war been a constant part of human interaction throughout time? What does this reveal about humans?
Essay Topic 3
Mary Alice falls in love with Royce.
Part 1) How do Mary Alice's feelings for Royce develop throughout the book? How do his feelings for her mirror her feelings for him? How is Mary Alice finally able to get the courage up to invite Royce over? How might Grandma have played a role in this?
Part 2) What about Royce is appealing to Mary Alice and the other girls? Do you see in him what these girls see? Why or why not? What is special about Mary Alice? How does she stand out from the rest of the girls in her school?
Part 3) What other romantic attachments take place in this book? What is the purpose of these attachments to the story? How are they tied to the plot, character development, and/or themes?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)