|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wordlessly, Grandma stews up some _______ on the stove.
2. Halloween is a _________ occasion in Grandma's town.
3. Every year the _____________________ hosts a sharpshooting contest at the Abernathy farm.
4. Grandma makes sure to do what with this boy's desert?
5. Why does Grandma believe Mary Alice will not get beat up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary Alice bring to Grandma's house? Why does she bring this?
2. What happens to Bootsie one night? Why does this happen?
3. What has happened to Mrs. Abernathy's son? Is this still seen today? Why or why not?
4. Why is Mary Alice afraid at night in her room? How does she deal with this fear?
5. What warning does Grandma give Mary Alice before she leaves her at school? What does this warning foreshadow?
6. What is theme is strong in this section? Support your response with information from this section.
7. What is Armistice Day? What is a holiday that we have that serves a similar purpose? What is the purpose of this holiday?
8. Why does Mary Alice move in with her grandmother? What does this reveal about the Great Depression?
9. How does Grandma greet Mary Alice? Why might she act this way?
10. How does Mary Alice react to Mildred's plan for getting her dollar from Mary Alice? What does this reveal about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A tornado hits the town.
Part 1) Describe the events surrounding the tornado. How did this tornado affect the citizens of this town? Why did the author have a tornado touch down in this town? What is revealed through this natural disaster?
Part 2) What other major events take place in this story? How are these events important? How do they affect the plot and the characters?
Part 3) What events have been significant in your own life? How have these events affected you? How do these events compare to the events in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Grandma is a unique character.
Part 1) Describe your initial thoughts about Grandma. How did your opinion of her change by the end of the book? Why did your opinion change?
Part 2) What issues does Grandma's behavior bring up? What is her opinion of these issues? Why? How does your opinion compare to hers? Are your beliefs questioned by reading this book? Why or why not?
Part 3) What would the world be like if more people were like Grandma? Would this be a better place? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The first section begins a pattern that repeats throughout the rest of the book.
Part 1) What is this pattern? How is this pattern significant? What theme does this pattern support? What characters does this pattern and theme affect? How are they affected?
Part 2) How is this pattern and theme relevant to your own life? How can you relate to the characters in this book through this theme?
Part 3) What is another book you have read or story you have heard that has this same theme? Is this a universal theme? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)