|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long does Halloween go on?
2. Instead, what does Grandma do?
3. Where does Grandma make Bootsie live?
4. What is the year?
5. Grandma intimidates ________________ into paying more for the stew.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grandma think about Halloween? Why does she feel this way? Why would the reader probably not be surprised by this?
2. How does Grandma continue to taunt the pranksters during the party? How might the pranksters feel about this?
3. How does Grandma raise money for Mrs. Abernathy? Is this a good tactic? Why or why not?
4. Describe the events surrounding Augie's attempt to impress Mary Alice. What does this reinforce about his character?
5. How does Grandma get back at Old Man Nyquist? Should she have done this? Why or why not?
6. What happens to Bootsie one night? Why does this happen?
7. How can Mary Alice now find out who the pranksters were?
8. How does Grandma greet Mary Alice? Why might she act this way?
9. What does Grandma do when she arrives at the Pensingers' residence? Why does she do this?
10. How does Grandma handle these pranksters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A "dangerous man" arrives in town.
Part 1) Who is this man? Describe him and the reason he is in town. Why might people of this town consider him dangerous? How do these fears affect the way they treat him? How does Grandma take advantage of this? Why does she do this?
Part 2) Describe the event that leads the citizens of this town to like him even less? Is he to blame for this surprising and shocking incident? Why or why not? Why does the town see him as guilty?
Part 3) How does Grandma help to turn the town's opinion around regarding this man? Why does she want to help him? What does this turn-around reinforce about this town?
Essay Topic 2
Mary Alice falls in love with Royce.
Part 1) How do Mary Alice's feelings for Royce develop throughout the book? How do his feelings for her mirror her feelings for him? How is Mary Alice finally able to get the courage up to invite Royce over? How might Grandma have played a role in this?
Part 2) What about Royce is appealing to Mary Alice and the other girls? Do you see in him what these girls see? Why or why not? What is special about Mary Alice? How does she stand out from the rest of the girls in her school?
Part 3) What other romantic attachments take place in this book? What is the purpose of these attachments to the story? How are they tied to the plot, character development, and/or themes?
Essay Topic 3
"A Dangerous Man" touches upon the stereotype of spring.
Part 1) What is the stereotype of spring? How is this touched upon in this chapter? How does this stereotype affect the characters in this book?
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for focusing on this stereotype? How is this stereotype tied to other events and/or themes in this book?
Part 3) What is another story that focuses on this stereotype? What is the reason for this? What are the similarities between this story and "A Year Down Yonder"?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)