|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Pensinger comes back for seconds on what?
2. Why does Grandma do this with the tractor?
3. Grandma and Mary Alice take a load of the treats to the party, and who serves them?
4. What happens when Augie aims his gun at the fleeing rabbit?
5. Out of whom does Grandma squeeze a whole silver dollar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Armistice Day? What is a holiday that we have that serves a similar purpose? What is the purpose of this holiday?
2. What is a main reason for why Mary Alice does not want to move in with her grandmother? Why might she feel this way?
3. What does Mary Alice bring to Grandma's house? Why does she bring this?
4. What has happened to Mrs. Abernathy's son? Is this still seen today? Why or why not?
5. What warning does Grandma give Mary Alice before she leaves her at school? What does this warning foreshadow?
6. How does Grandma handle these pranksters?
7. How does Grandma continue to taunt the pranksters during the party? How might the pranksters feel about this?
8. What does Grandma think about Halloween? Why does she feel this way? Why would the reader probably not be surprised by this?
9. How does Old Man Nyquist upset Grandma?
10. What does Grandma do instead of participating in the sharpshooting competition? Why might she do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mildred Burdick is a bully.
Part 1) How is Mildred a bully? Why is she a bully? How has this bad behavior been passed down through the generations in the Burdick family?
Part 2) How are others affected by Mildred's behavior? What happens to Mildred by the end of the book? What does this say about bullies? What might this also reveal about the author's opinion of bullies?
Part 3) How have you been affected by bullying? How have you dealt with bullying? How has society worked toward stopping bullying? Has it been successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many in this town are stingy.
Part 1) Describe four characters in this town who are stingy. Why are they stingy? Would they be stingy if the economy were better? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Grandma encourage these characters to be more giving? Are her tactics morally correct? Why or why not? What other tactics might be as successful? How?
Part 3) Would you consider yourself to be a stingy person? Why or why not? How can you be more giving to others? How can you and others benefit from your increased ability to give?
Essay Topic 3
"A Dangerous Man" touches upon the stereotype of spring.
Part 1) What is the stereotype of spring? How is this touched upon in this chapter? How does this stereotype affect the characters in this book?
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for focusing on this stereotype? How is this stereotype tied to other events and/or themes in this book?
Part 3) What is another story that focuses on this stereotype? What is the reason for this? What are the similarities between this story and "A Year Down Yonder"?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)