|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After school, how does Mildred follow Mary Alice?
2. Grandma says Mrs. Abernathy receives money from whom for her son, but it is not enough?
3. What happens when Augie aims his gun at the fleeing rabbit?
4. The next day, Grandma and Mary Alice drag a wagon to the home of farmer ___________.
5. What does Grandma do with the sliced food?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandma handle these pranksters?
2. What is burgoo stew? How might this represent life during the Great Depression?
3. How does Mildred go about attempting to collect the dollar from Mary Alice? What does this reveal about Mildred?
4. What is Armistice Day? What is a holiday that we have that serves a similar purpose? What is the purpose of this holiday?
5. Describe Halloween in this town. Why might it be like this?
6. What is theme is strong in this section? Support your response with information from this section.
7. How can Mary Alice now find out who the pranksters were?
8. What does Grandma think about Halloween? Why does she feel this way? Why would the reader probably not be surprised by this?
9. How does Old Man Nyquist upset Grandma?
10. How does Grandma continue to taunt the pranksters during the party? How might the pranksters feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Christmas season brings many surprises.
Part 1) What are the Christmas season surprises? How does each surprise come about? How are these surprises significant to the plot and/or character development?
Part 2) How is surprise an important aspect of this book? What other surprises take place throughout this book? What are the purposes of all these surprises? How are various characters change by the surprises in this story?
Part 3) What surprises have been significant in your own life? How have you been changed by surprise events? How can you relate to the characters in this book, regarding surprising events?
Essay Topic 2
This book is a work of historical fiction.
Part 1) What details in the book make it a work of historical fiction? How are these details important to the story? How are they also important to the reader? Would this boo be as enticing and engaging without these historical facts? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why might someone choose to write a work of historical fiction? What is the purpose of all works of historical fiction? What is your opinion of historical fiction? Why? Has your opinion of historical fiction been influenced by reading this book? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is your favorite genre? Why?
Essay Topic 3
A "dangerous man" arrives in town.
Part 1) Who is this man? Describe him and the reason he is in town. Why might people of this town consider him dangerous? How do these fears affect the way they treat him? How does Grandma take advantage of this? Why does she do this?
Part 2) Describe the event that leads the citizens of this town to like him even less? Is he to blame for this surprising and shocking incident? Why or why not? Why does the town see him as guilty?
Part 3) How does Grandma help to turn the town's opinion around regarding this man? Why does she want to help him? What does this turn-around reinforce about this town?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)