|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Halloween is a _________ occasion in Grandma's town.
2. Why does Grandma do this with the tractor?
3. What has broken the narrator and her mother?
4. Who is the son of the principal?
5. The _____________ family are notoriously bad people.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandma continue to taunt the pranksters during the party? How might the pranksters feel about this?
2. What is the most important part of the Christmas program? Why is it surprising that Mary Alice is chosen to play an important role in this? Why might she have been chosen?
3. Why is Mary Alice afraid at night in her room? How does she deal with this fear?
4. What is a main reason for why Mary Alice does not want to move in with her grandmother? Why might she feel this way?
5. How is Carleen Lovejoy like Mildred Burdick?
6. How does Grandma take advantage of this man? Why does she do this?
7. Describe the events surrounding Augie's attempt to impress Mary Alice. What does this reinforce about his character?
8. How is Mary Alice's date interrupted? How is this foreshadowed?
9. How has Mary Alice's relationship with the other girls changed? In what ways has it stayed the same?
10. How does Grandma defeat Mildred, the bully? What lesson does this teach Mary Alice?
Essay Topic 1
A "dangerous man" arrives in town.
Part 1) Who is this man? Describe him and the reason he is in town. Why might people of this town consider him dangerous? How do these fears affect the way they treat him? How does Grandma take advantage of this? Why does she do this?
Part 2) Describe the event that leads the citizens of this town to like him even less? Is he to blame for this surprising and shocking incident? Why or why not? Why does the town see him as guilty?
Part 3) How does Grandma help to turn the town's opinion around regarding this man? Why does she want to help him? What does this turn-around reinforce about this town?
Essay Topic 2
Mary Alice and Ina-Rae conspire against Carleen.
Part 1) How do these girls use Valentine's Day to get back at Carleen? Why do they do this? Are they successful? Why or why not? What does this behavior reveal about Mary Alice at this point in the story?
Part 2) How else does Mary Alice begin to take a stand for herself and others throughout this book? Why does she do this? How does her behavior compare to Grandma's?
Part 3) How can you stand up more for yourself and others? Would you consider using tactics similar to those used by Mary Alice and Grandma? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A tornado hits the town.
Part 1) Describe the events surrounding the tornado. How did this tornado affect the citizens of this town? Why did the author have a tornado touch down in this town? What is revealed through this natural disaster?
Part 2) What other major events take place in this story? How are these events important? How do they affect the plot and the characters?
Part 3) What events have been significant in your own life? How have these events affected you? How do these events compare to the events in this story?
This section contains 3,098 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)