Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Halloween is a _________ occasion in Grandma's town.
2. Why does Grandma do this with the tractor?
3. What has broken the narrator and her mother?
4. Who is the son of the principal?
5. The _____________ family are notoriously bad people.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandma continue to taunt the pranksters during the party? How might the pranksters feel about this?
2. What is the most important part of the Christmas program? Why is it surprising that Mary Alice is chosen to play an important role in this? Why might she have been chosen?
3. Why is Mary Alice afraid at night in her room? How does she deal with this fear?
4. What is a main reason for why Mary Alice does not want to move in with her grandmother? Why might she feel this way?
5. How is Carleen Lovejoy like Mildred Burdick?
6. How does Grandma take advantage of this man? Why does she do this?
7. Describe the events surrounding Augie's attempt to impress Mary Alice. What does this reinforce about his character?
8. How is Mary Alice's date interrupted? How is this foreshadowed?
9. How has Mary Alice's relationship with the other girls changed? In what ways has it stayed the same?
10. How does Grandma defeat Mildred, the bully? What lesson does this teach Mary Alice?
Essay Topic 1
Armistice Day is an important day in this town.
Part 1) What is the purpose of Armistice Day? How does this town celebrate this day? How are these celebrations important? Why is this day especially important to Grandma?
Part 2) What holidays in our own culture today serve a similar purpose? How are these holidays important? How do you celebrate these holidays? Do you believe most ways in which Americans celebrate these holidays are adequate and reflect the purpose of these holidays? Why or why not?
Part 3) How has war been a significant aspect of American culture? Why? How has war been a constant part of human interaction throughout time? What does this reveal about humans?
Essay Topic 2
Many in this town are stingy.
Part 1) Describe four characters in this town who are stingy. Why are they stingy? Would they be stingy if the economy were better? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Grandma encourage these characters to be more giving? Are her tactics morally correct? Why or why not? What other tactics might be as successful? How?
Part 3) Would you consider yourself to be a stingy person? Why or why not? How can you be more giving to others? How can you and others benefit from your increased ability to give?
Essay Topic 3
Pride is a theme.
Part 1) What is pride? How is this a theme in this story? What role does Grandma play in this theme? Why? How is this a universal theme?
Part 2) How can you relate to this theme? When has pride been an important theme in your own life? What can you learn about pride from this story?
Part 3) What other themes are important to this story? How is each theme significant? How are these themes connected to the main characters? How are these themes connected to one another?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)