|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whose class is Mary Alice taken?
2. For how long does Halloween go on?
3. After school, how does Mildred follow Mary Alice?
4. The pies turn the party from _______________.
5. This family is locally known for its nice _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandma greet Mary Alice? Why might she act this way?
2. What does Mary Alice bring to Grandma's house? Why does she bring this?
3. How can Mary Alice now find out who the pranksters were?
4. Why is Mary Alice afraid at night in her room? How does she deal with this fear?
5. Describe Halloween in this town. Why might it be like this?
6. How does Grandma handle these pranksters?
7. What does Grandma do when she arrives at the Pensingers' residence? Why does she do this?
8. Why does Mary Alice move in with her grandmother? What does this reveal about the Great Depression?
9. How has Bootsie changed since he moved in with Grandma? What has led to this change?
10. How does Grandma defeat Mildred, the bully? What lesson does this teach Mary Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Alice is the main character.
Part 1) Describe Mary Alice. How does she change throughout the story? Why does she change? How do other characters in this story also change? What is Mary Alice's relationship with other main characters in the story?
Part 2) Mary Alice is also the narrator of the story. How does her narration affect the knowledge of the reader? How does it also influence the reader's opinion of other characters? How different might the story be if the narrator were not a character in the story? How different might the story be if Grandma was the narrator?
Part 3) What is learned about Middle America during the Great Depression through Mary Alice's eyes? Has this affected your view of life in the 1930s? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Grandma is a unique character.
Part 1) Describe your initial thoughts about Grandma. How did your opinion of her change by the end of the book? Why did your opinion change?
Part 2) What issues does Grandma's behavior bring up? What is her opinion of these issues? Why? How does your opinion compare to hers? Are your beliefs questioned by reading this book? Why or why not?
Part 3) What would the world be like if more people were like Grandma? Would this be a better place? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many in this town are stingy.
Part 1) Describe four characters in this town who are stingy. Why are they stingy? Would they be stingy if the economy were better? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Grandma encourage these characters to be more giving? Are her tactics morally correct? Why or why not? What other tactics might be as successful? How?
Part 3) Would you consider yourself to be a stingy person? Why or why not? How can you be more giving to others? How can you and others benefit from your increased ability to give?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)