|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandma react to Mary Alice's arrival?
2. Next, Grandma and Mary Alice travel to the _______________ residence.
3. How does Grandma know that the horse was not even Mildred's?
4. What is burgoo stew?
5. What does Grandma think of this holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary Alice react to Mildred's plan for getting her dollar from Mary Alice? What does this reveal about her?
2. What does Grandma think about Halloween? Why does she feel this way? Why would the reader probably not be surprised by this?
3. Where does Mary Alice go directly after arriving in town? What is happening there when Mary Alice arrives?
4. How does Grandma trick Mildred? What does this reveal about her?
5. How does Grandma handle these pranksters?
6. How does Mildred go about attempting to collect the dollar from Mary Alice? What does this reveal about Mildred?
7. What is Armistice Day? What is a holiday that we have that serves a similar purpose? What is the purpose of this holiday?
8. What does Grandma do instead of participating in the sharpshooting competition? Why might she do this?
9. How does Grandma get back at Old Man Nyquist? Should she have done this? Why or why not?
10. What happens to Bootsie one night? Why does this happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandma hunts foxes to survive.
Part 1) Describe Grandma's hunting technique. Are you surprised by her decision to hunt foxes? Why or why not? How might she have come to be a fox hunter? What does this reinforce about her character?
Part 2) What is the purpose for revealing this in the story? How does this help to develop Grandma's character and her relationship with Mary Alice?
Part 3) How have other characters in this story adapted to the hard times of the Great Depression? How might you have adapted at this time to survive? What skills do you posses that would be useful?
Essay Topic 2
A "dangerous man" arrives in town.
Part 1) Who is this man? Describe him and the reason he is in town. Why might people of this town consider him dangerous? How do these fears affect the way they treat him? How does Grandma take advantage of this? Why does she do this?
Part 2) Describe the event that leads the citizens of this town to like him even less? Is he to blame for this surprising and shocking incident? Why or why not? Why does the town see him as guilty?
Part 3) How does Grandma help to turn the town's opinion around regarding this man? Why does she want to help him? What does this turn-around reinforce about this town?
Essay Topic 3
Grandma lives in a small hick town.
Part 1) Describe this small town and its inhabitants. Why does Mary Alice think she will not like this town? In the end, does Mary Alice end up liking the town? Why or why not?
Part 2) What does this town reveal about Americans throughout the country during the 1930s? What aspects of this town are universal and could represent many towns throughout the U.S.?
Part 3) How does this town compare to your own? How have Americans changed since the 1930s? How have they stayed the same? What are possible causes of these similarities and differences?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)