Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Halloween is a _________ occasion in Grandma's town.
2. Why does Grandma do this with the tractor?
3. What has broken the narrator and her mother?
4. Who is the son of the principal?
5. The _____________ family are notoriously bad people.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandma continue to taunt the pranksters during the party? How might the pranksters feel about this?
2. What is the most important part of the Christmas program? Why is it surprising that Mary Alice is chosen to play an important role in this? Why might she have been chosen?
3. Why is Mary Alice afraid at night in her room? How does she deal with this fear?
4. What is a main reason for why Mary Alice does not want to move in with her grandmother? Why might she feel this way?
5. How is Carleen Lovejoy like Mildred Burdick?
6. How does Grandma take advantage of this man? Why does she do this?
7. Describe the events surrounding Augie's attempt to impress Mary Alice. What does this reinforce about his character?
8. How is Mary Alice's date interrupted? How is this foreshadowed?
9. How has Mary Alice's relationship with the other girls changed? In what ways has it stayed the same?
10. How does Grandma defeat Mildred, the bully? What lesson does this teach Mary Alice?
Essay Topic 1
Grandma hunts foxes to survive.
Part 1) Describe Grandma's hunting technique. Are you surprised by her decision to hunt foxes? Why or why not? How might she have come to be a fox hunter? What does this reinforce about her character?
Part 2) What is the purpose for revealing this in the story? How does this help to develop Grandma's character and her relationship with Mary Alice?
Part 3) How have other characters in this story adapted to the hard times of the Great Depression? How might you have adapted at this time to survive? What skills do you posses that would be useful?
Essay Topic 2
Armistice Day is an important day in this town.
Part 1) What is the purpose of Armistice Day? How does this town celebrate this day? How are these celebrations important? Why is this day especially important to Grandma?
Part 2) What holidays in our own culture today serve a similar purpose? How are these holidays important? How do you celebrate these holidays? Do you believe most ways in which Americans celebrate these holidays are adequate and reflect the purpose of these holidays? Why or why not?
Part 3) How has war been a significant aspect of American culture? Why? How has war been a constant part of human interaction throughout time? What does this reveal about humans?
Essay Topic 3
Pride is a theme.
Part 1) What is pride? How is this a theme in this story? What role does Grandma play in this theme? Why? How is this a universal theme?
Part 2) How can you relate to this theme? When has pride been an important theme in your own life? What can you learn about pride from this story?
Part 3) What other themes are important to this story? How is each theme significant? How are these themes connected to the main characters? How are these themes connected to one another?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)