|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Maxine is gone, Grandma explains that she kept a _________ in the rafters of the attic in order to keep the birds away.
2. Mrs. Weidenbach and the DAR ladies arrive and are ____________ the women's presence.
(a) Surprised by.
(b) Humored by.
(c) Horrified by.
(d) Happy with.
3. Grandma wears her best clothes for the DAR event, and Mary Alice is struck by what?
(a) Grandma's intelligence.
(b) Grandma's interest in the DAR.
(c) Grandma's understanding of the DAR.
(d) Grandma's beauty.
4. Why is the answer to number 113 a problem?
(a) Grandma does not allow guests in her home.
(b) Grandma and Mrs. Vottsmeier do not get along.
(c) Every DAR member looks forward to the famous cherry tarts, and it will be a terrible blow if tarts are not made.
(d) Mary Alice has never been in trouble before.
5. Mary Alice has managed to shed the "____________" reputation.
(a) Rich girl.
(b) Dumb girl.
(c) Mean girl.
(d) Poor girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "Newsy Notes?"
2. The artist, Arnold Green, explains that he is from ________, and that no one has had room in the entire town for him.
3. Final exams are coming up at school, and while a whiz at English and composition, Mary Alice struggled with __________.
4. The Christmas program is getting closer, and while Carleen Lovejoy has a magnificent costume, Mary Alice has only what?
5. As a last surprise prior to the program, Grandma presents Mary Alice with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the girls react when a new boy enrolls in school? How does Mary Alice act? Why might she act this way?
2. How is Mary Alice's date interrupted? How is this foreshadowed?
3. What is the most important part of the Christmas program? Why is it surprising that Mary Alice is chosen to play an important role in this? Why might she have been chosen?
4. How does Grandma initially respond to Mrs. Weidenbach's request? Why?
5. How is Carleen Lovejoy like Mildred Burdick?
6. How do the townspeople treat Arnold after this shocking event? Why?
7. What newspaper column does Mary Alice write? Why might she do this?
8. Why does Grandma change her mind regarding Mrs. Weidenbach's request?
9. What is one way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this important?
10. How has Mary Alice's relationship with the other girls changed? In what ways has it stayed the same?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)