|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carleen is incensed that mousy Ina-Rae would get more attention on Valentine's Day than her. Later, what is revealed?
(a) Mary Alice actually crafted the valentines to make Carleen mad.
(b) Mary Alice and Ina-Rae had hidden all the cards meant for Carleen.
(c) Ina-Rae actually crafted the valentines to make Carleen mad.
(d) The entire class plotted against Carleen to make her jealous of Ina-Rae.
2. Taking advantage of Arnold's desperation, Grandma charges him the princely sum of _________________ a day for rent.
(a) Two and a half dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) One dollar.
3. The big moment arrives, with a light being shone on whom?
(b) Baby Jesus.
(d) Mary Alice.
4. Grandma also has a vial of ________ to attract the animals.
5. The artist, Arnold Green, explains that he is from ________, and that no one has had room in the entire town for him.
(c) The East.
(d) The west.
Short Answer Questions
1. The annual _______________ program at the school is coming.
2. The heart of the program is what?
3. What are used to cover up the human scent in order to confuse these animals?
4. One day in the cold of _____________, Mrs. Weidenbach knocks at the door.
5. The Christmas program is getting closer, and while Carleen Lovejoy has a magnificent costume, Mary Alice has only what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is this man in town? What does Grandma think of this?
2. How does Grandma initially respond to Mrs. Weidenbach's request? Why?
3. How do the girls react when a new boy enrolls in school? How does Mary Alice act? Why might she act this way?
4. What is one way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this important?
5. What does Grandma do to pay the bills and survive during the Great Depression? How is this foreshadowed?
6. Why might the townspeople act this way toward this strange man?
7. What is learned about Mrs. Weidenbach? How is this significant?
8. How does Mrs. Weidenbach act when Grandma agrees to bake the tarts, if the meeting is held at Grandma's home? Why does she react this way?
9. How has Mary Alice's relationship with the other girls changed? In what ways has it stayed the same?
10. How does Mary Alice finally take a chance and ask Royce over to visit? How does Grandma feel about this? Why?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)