|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Weidenbach has come to Grandma because of what?
(a) Mary Alice has gotten herself into trouble at school.
(b) Mrs. Weidenbach wants to be popular.
(c) Mrs. Vottsmeier will not bake any cherry tarts.
(d) She needs a place to host the party.
2. Mrs. Weidenbach and the DAR ladies arrive and are ____________ the women's presence.
(a) Surprised by.
(b) Happy with.
(c) Horrified by.
(d) Humored by.
3. Mrs. Weidenbach is the wife of the ___________, and is the leader of the local chapter of the DAR.
(a) Land speculator.
4. Grandma discovers Arnold is a single man, and ___________.
(a) He may be looking for a wife.
(b) He would be perfect for Miss Butler.
(c) He may try to seduce Mary Alice.
(d) Man-hungry Maxine Patch will be trying to seduce him.
5. In a final Christmas surprise, Grandma did what?
(a) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket so that brother Joey could visit.
(b) Took all the money from the hides and bought Mary Alice a horse.
(c) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket for Mary Alice to visit her family.
(d) Took all the money from the hides and bought train tickets for Mary Alice's entire family to visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grandma also has a vial of ________ to attract the animals.
2. The heart of the program is what?
3. Also surprising, they go out and do what?
4. Royce and Mary Alice awkwardly meet, and there is obvious _________.
5. The man was sent by the government as part of the ________________ administration's ambitious public works project.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Weidenbach ask for Grandma's help? Why is this surprising?
2. How is Carleen Lovejoy like Mildred Burdick?
3. Why is this man in town? What does Grandma think of this?
4. What is one way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this important?
5. Why might the townspeople act this way toward this strange man?
6. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
7. How is Mary Alice's date interrupted? How is this foreshadowed?
8. Who is the strange man who comes calling? Why?
9. What is the most important part of the Christmas program? Why is it surprising that Mary Alice is chosen to play an important role in this? Why might she have been chosen?
10. How has Mary Alice's relationship with the other girls changed? In what ways has it stayed the same?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)