|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Christmas program is getting closer, and while Carleen Lovejoy has a magnificent costume, Mary Alice has only what?
(a) A new pair of shoes.
(b) A simple robe.
(c) Plain bedsheets.
(d) Her everyday clothes.
2. How is public opinion affected by changes in Arnold's behavior to impress the woman Grandma introduced to him?
(a) Public opinion shifts against Royce and for Arnold.
(b) Public opinion shifts against Grandma and for Arnold.
(c) Public opinion shifts against Maxine and for Arnold.
(d) Public opinion shifts for Maxine and away from Arnold.
3. Why does the chorus practice sound awful?
(a) They have never practiced together before.
(b) They do not have a teacher guiding them.
(c) No student at the school can really sing.
(d) They have never sung before.
4. Why does Grandma agree to help Mrs. Weidenbach?
(a) The DAR meeting take place at Grandma's own house.
(b) She wants to be a member of the DAR.
(c) Mrs. Weidenbach is her best friend.
(d) Mary Alice has begged her to agree.
5. The artist, Arnold Green, explains that he is from ________, and that no one has had room in the entire town for him.
(a) The East.
(b) The west.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grandma discovers Arnold is a single man, and ___________.
2. Royce and Mary Alice awkwardly meet, and there is obvious _________.
3. How does Grandma know the child is a Burdick?
4. Two ancient ladies arrive for the DAR event, _______________, but they certainly aren't DAR ladies.
5. What does Bootsie do for Mary Alice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
2. What does Grandma do to pay the bills and survive during the Great Depression? How is this foreshadowed?
3. What is another way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this surprise important?
4. How do the girls react when a new boy enrolls in school? How does Mary Alice act? Why might she act this way?
5. What newspaper column does Mary Alice write? Why might she do this?
6. Why does Mrs. Weidenbach ask for Grandma's help? Why is this surprising?
7. How does Grandma initially respond to Mrs. Weidenbach's request? Why?
8. Why does Grandma change her mind regarding Mrs. Weidenbach's request?
9. How has Mary Alice's relationship with the other girls changed? In what ways has it stayed the same?
10. How does Mrs. Weidenbach act when Grandma agrees to bake the tarts, if the meeting is held at Grandma's home? Why does she react this way?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)