|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells her that she was actually adopted?
(a) Mrs. Vottsmeier.
(b) Aunt Mae.
2. Why does the chorus practice sound awful?
(a) No student at the school can really sing.
(b) They have never sung before.
(c) They do not have a teacher guiding them.
(d) They have never practiced together before.
3. The big moment arrives, with a light being shone on whom?
(c) Mary Alice.
(d) Baby Jesus.
4. Mary Alice has managed to shed the "____________" reputation.
(a) Rich girl.
(b) Dumb girl.
(c) Poor girl.
(d) Mean girl.
5. A terrified Arnold Green pads down the stairs. How does he explain this surprising event?
(a) He was having tea with Maxine.
(b) He was tutor Maxine.
(c) He was painting a nude portrait of Maxine when the snake fell from the rafters onto Maxine.
(d) He was asking Maxine to marry him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Taking advantage of Arnold's desperation, Grandma charges him the princely sum of _________________ a day for rent.
2. The man was sent by the government as part of the ________________ administration's ambitious public works project.
3. Carleen Lovejoy will play the leader of ______________, and she is intent on outshining all others.
4. Mrs. Weidenbach and the DAR ladies arrive and are ____________ the women's presence.
5. To everyone's consternation, Maxine Patch bounds down the stairs how?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final surprise in this chapter? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
2. Why does Mrs. Weidenbach ask for Grandma's help? Why is this surprising?
3. What is the most important part of the Christmas program? Why is it surprising that Mary Alice is chosen to play an important role in this? Why might she have been chosen?
4. Why does Grandma change her mind regarding Mrs. Weidenbach's request?
5. How is Carleen Lovejoy like Mildred Burdick?
6. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
7. How do the townspeople treat Arnold after this shocking event? Why?
8. What does Grandma do to pay the bills and survive during the Great Depression? How is this foreshadowed?
9. How does Grandma initially respond to Mrs. Weidenbach's request? Why?
10. How does Grandma take advantage of this man? Why does she do this?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)