|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The annual _______________ program at the school is coming.
2. Why did Mrs. Weidenbach choose to go to Grandma Dowdel to solve this problem?
(a) She is Mary Alice's guardian.
(b) Grandma Dowdel is the best cook she knows.
(c) Grandma wants to be a member of the DAR.
(d) She has a large home.
3. The next day, Grandma negotiates a good deal for the hides with whom?
(a) Augie Fluke.
(b) The Burdick family.
(c) The local fur broker.
(d) A neighbor.
4. How is public opinion affected by changes in Arnold's behavior to impress the woman Grandma introduced to him?
(a) Public opinion shifts against Maxine and for Arnold.
(b) Public opinion shifts against Royce and for Arnold.
(c) Public opinion shifts against Grandma and for Arnold.
(d) Public opinion shifts for Maxine and away from Arnold.
5. How is the crowd shocked?
(a) Carleen is not wearing anything.
(b) An actual baby is in the manger.
(c) Mildred is standing there with her baby.
(d) Mary Alice is in one of her new dresses.
Short Answer Questions
1. This man explains he was sent to Grandma by Maxine Patch, the postmistress, and that he is in town to do what?
2. After Maxine is gone, Grandma explains that she kept a _________ in the rafters of the attic in order to keep the birds away.
3. ________________ remains Mary Alice's biggest nemesis.
4. Who tells her that she was actually adopted?
5. How does Mrs. Weidenbach react to Grandma's demand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary Alice finally take a chance and ask Royce over to visit? How does Grandma feel about this? Why?
2. How do Ina-Rae and Mary Alice get back at Carleen? Why do they do it in this way?
3. Why might the townspeople act this way toward this strange man?
4. What is the most important part of the Christmas program? Why is it surprising that Mary Alice is chosen to play an important role in this? Why might she have been chosen?
5. What is the final surprise in this chapter? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
6. How is Mary Alice's date interrupted? How is this foreshadowed?
7. What is another way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this surprise important?
8. What newspaper column does Mary Alice write? Why might she do this?
9. How has Mary Alice's relationship with the other girls changed? In what ways has it stayed the same?
10. How does Grandma initially respond to Mrs. Weidenbach's request? Why?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)