|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ________________ remains Mary Alice's biggest nemesis.
(a) Mildred Burdick.
(b) Carleen Lovejoy.
(c) Jamie Dowdel.
(d) Ina-Rae Gage.
2. March comes, and Mary Alice turns _______________.
3. Grandma had planned the whole gathering for what reason?
(a) To relax and enjoy good food.
(b) To put Mrs. Weidenbach in her place.
(c) To bring the women of the town together.
(d) To show her friends how popular she is.
4. Royce shows himself to be very good at math, and partly to romance him, Mary Alice does what?
(a) Invites him over to Grandma's house to have him tutor her.
(b) Asks him to dinner.
(c) Asks him to tutor her at school.
(d) Talks to Royce about her problems at school.
5. A terrified Arnold Green pads down the stairs. How does he explain this surprising event?
(a) He was having tea with Maxine.
(b) He was asking Maxine to marry him.
(c) He was tutor Maxine.
(d) He was painting a nude portrait of Maxine when the snake fell from the rafters onto Maxine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Taking advantage of Arnold's desperation, Grandma charges him the princely sum of _________________ a day for rent.
2. In response, Grandma plays matchmaker and hosts a dinner with Arnold Green and who?
3. This man explains he was sent to Grandma by Maxine Patch, the postmistress, and that he is in town to do what?
4. How does Mrs. Weidenbach react to Grandma's demand?
5. The Christmas program is getting closer, and while Carleen Lovejoy has a magnificent costume, Mary Alice has only what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Carleen Lovejoy like Mildred Burdick?
2. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
3. How does Grandma initially respond to Mrs. Weidenbach's request? Why?
4. How does Grandma take advantage of this man? Why does she do this?
5. What does Grandma do to pay the bills and survive during the Great Depression? How is this foreshadowed?
6. What does Bootsie bring back to Mary Alice? Why might he do this?
7. How do Ina-Rae and Mary Alice get back at Carleen? Why do they do it in this way?
8. How do the girls react when a new boy enrolls in school? How does Mary Alice act? Why might she act this way?
9. What is the most important part of the Christmas program? Why is it surprising that Mary Alice is chosen to play an important role in this? Why might she have been chosen?
10. Why does Grandma change her mind regarding Mrs. Weidenbach's request?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)