|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Royce shows himself to be very good at math, and partly to romance him, Mary Alice does what?
(a) Invites him over to Grandma's house to have him tutor her.
(b) Asks him to tutor her at school.
(c) Talks to Royce about her problems at school.
(d) Asks him to dinner.
2. Why does the chorus practice sound awful?
(a) They have never practiced together before.
(b) They have never sung before.
(c) They do not have a teacher guiding them.
(d) No student at the school can really sing.
3. The artist, Arnold Green, explains that he is from ________, and that no one has had room in the entire town for him.
(a) The west.
(b) The East.
4. In a final Christmas surprise, Grandma did what?
(a) Took all the money from the hides and bought Mary Alice a horse.
(b) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket for Mary Alice to visit her family.
(c) Took all the money from the hides and bought a train ticket so that brother Joey could visit.
(d) Took all the money from the hides and bought train tickets for Mary Alice's entire family to visit.
5. How is the crowd shocked?
(a) Carleen is not wearing anything.
(b) Mildred is standing there with her baby.
(c) An actual baby is in the manger.
(d) Mary Alice is in one of her new dresses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christmas time has arrived, and Miss Butler is having the kids make hot pads from what?
2. Mrs. Weidenbach has come to Grandma because of what?
3. The annual _______________ program at the school is coming.
4. Arriving home, Mary Alice is surprised to see Grandma tramping around in the snow in rubber waders, hauling a basket full of what?
5. How is public opinion affected by changes in Arnold's behavior to impress the woman Grandma introduced to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grandma change her mind regarding Mrs. Weidenbach's request?
2. How does Mary Alice finally take a chance and ask Royce over to visit? How does Grandma feel about this? Why?
3. What does Grandma do to pay the bills and survive during the Great Depression? How is this foreshadowed?
4. What is one way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this important?
5. Why is this man in town? What does Grandma think of this?
6. How do Ina-Rae and Mary Alice get back at Carleen? Why do they do it in this way?
7. What is the final surprise in this chapter? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
8. Why does Mrs. Weidenbach ask for Grandma's help? Why is this surprising?
9. How do the girls react when a new boy enrolls in school? How does Mary Alice act? Why might she act this way?
10. What does Bootsie bring back to Mary Alice? Why might he do this?
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)