|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One day in the cold of _____________, Mrs. Weidenbach knocks at the door.
2. What does Bootsie do for Mary Alice?
(a) He protects her at night.
(b) He hunts for her.
(c) He sleeps by her to keep her warm.
(d) He brings little knick-knacks from the field.
3. Grandma wears her best clothes for the DAR event, and Mary Alice is struck by what?
(a) Grandma's understanding of the DAR.
(b) Grandma's interest in the DAR.
(c) Grandma's beauty.
(d) Grandma's intelligence.
4. How is public opinion affected by changes in Arnold's behavior to impress the woman Grandma introduced to him?
(a) Public opinion shifts against Maxine and for Arnold.
(b) Public opinion shifts against Grandma and for Arnold.
(c) Public opinion shifts for Maxine and away from Arnold.
(d) Public opinion shifts against Royce and for Arnold.
5. Royce shows himself to be very good at math, and partly to romance him, Mary Alice does what?
(a) Invites him over to Grandma's house to have him tutor her.
(b) Asks him to tutor her at school.
(c) Talks to Royce about her problems at school.
(d) Asks him to dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a final Christmas surprise, Grandma did what?
2. Mrs. Weidenbach is ready to__________ at these horrible new revelations.
3. Final exams are coming up at school, and while a whiz at English and composition, Mary Alice struggled with __________.
4. Taking advantage of Arnold's desperation, Grandma charges him the princely sum of _________________ a day for rent.
5. The man was sent by the government as part of the ________________ administration's ambitious public works project.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
2. Why is this man in town? What does Grandma think of this?
3. What is another way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this surprise important?
4. How does Mary Alice finally take a chance and ask Royce over to visit? How does Grandma feel about this? Why?
5. How is Mary Alice's date interrupted? How is this foreshadowed?
6. How does Mrs. Weidenbach act when Grandma agrees to bake the tarts, if the meeting is held at Grandma's home? Why does she react this way?
7. How do the townspeople treat Arnold after this shocking event? Why?
8. What does Grandma do to pay the bills and survive during the Great Depression? How is this foreshadowed?
9. Why does Mrs. Weidenbach ask for Grandma's help? Why is this surprising?
10. Why does Grandma change her mind regarding Mrs. Weidenbach's request?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)