|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Arriving home, Mary Alice is surprised to see Grandma tramping around in the snow in rubber waders, hauling a basket full of what?
(b) Walnut shells.
2. By this time, Mary Alice has made a friend, _______________, and is on better terms with several girls.
(a) Carleen Lovejoy.
(b) Jamie Dowdel.
(c) Mildred Burdick.
(d) Ina-Rae Gage.
3. How do the girls react to Royce McNabb, the new boy at school?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They tease him.
(c) They are cautious around him.
(d) They all swoon, including Mary Alice.
4. How does Grandma know the child is a Burdick?
(a) It is being held by Mildred.
(b) It has bright red hair.
(c) It does not stop screaming.
(d) It has one green eye and one blue eye.
5. When do Mary Alice and Royce meet?
(a) On a Thursday.
(b) On a Saturday.
(c) On a Tuesday.
(d) On a Sunday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two ancient ladies arrive for the DAR event, _______________, but they certainly aren't DAR ladies.
2. Taking advantage of Arnold's desperation, Grandma charges him the princely sum of _________________ a day for rent.
3. How does Mrs. Weidenbach react to Grandma's demand?
4. After Maxine is gone, Grandma explains that she kept a _________ in the rafters of the attic in order to keep the birds away.
5. Mrs. Weidenbach has come to Grandma because of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grandma change her mind regarding Mrs. Weidenbach's request?
2. What is the most important part of the Christmas program? Why is it surprising that Mary Alice is chosen to play an important role in this? Why might she have been chosen?
3. How do the townspeople treat Arnold after this shocking event? Why?
4. How do the girls react when a new boy enrolls in school? How does Mary Alice act? Why might she act this way?
5. What is learned about Mrs. Weidenbach? How is this significant?
6. What is another way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this surprise important?
7. What does Grandma do to pay the bills and survive during the Great Depression? How is this foreshadowed?
8. Why is this man in town? What does Grandma think of this?
9. What is one way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this important?
10. How does Grandma initially respond to Mrs. Weidenbach's request? Why?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)