|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the DAR?
(a) Day of Armistice Resolve.
(b) Daughters for Allied Revolt.
(c) Daughters of Armed Revolution.
(d) Daughters of the American Revolution.
2. March comes, and Mary Alice turns _______________.
3. Mrs. Weidenbach and the DAR ladies arrive and are ____________ the women's presence.
(a) Happy with.
(b) Humored by.
(c) Horrified by.
(d) Surprised by.
4. Valentine's Day is coming. Around this time, Mary Alice has been secretly doing what?
(a) Courting Augie.
(b) Planning a trip to visit her family.
(c) Writing a brief column in the local newspaper.
(d) Making presents for Grandma.
5. The town seems to come down on whose side, regarding this event?
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Grandma agree to help Mrs. Weidenbach?
2. This man explains he was sent to Grandma by Maxine Patch, the postmistress, and that he is in town to do what?
3. What does Bootsie do for Mary Alice?
4. Who is her true family?
5. One day in the cold of _____________, Mrs. Weidenbach knocks at the door.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandma take advantage of this man? Why does she do this?
2. How is Mary Alice's date interrupted? How is this foreshadowed?
3. How do the girls react when a new boy enrolls in school? How does Mary Alice act? Why might she act this way?
4. What is the final surprise in this chapter? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
5. What newspaper column does Mary Alice write? Why might she do this?
6. How has Mary Alice's relationship with the other girls changed? In what ways has it stayed the same?
7. Why might the townspeople act this way toward this strange man?
8. How does Mrs. Weidenbach act when Grandma agrees to bake the tarts, if the meeting is held at Grandma's home? Why does she react this way?
9. How does Mary Alice finally take a chance and ask Royce over to visit? How does Grandma feel about this? Why?
10. What is another way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this surprise important?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)