|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. March comes, and Mary Alice turns _______________.
2. Mrs. Weidenbach has come to Grandma because of what?
(a) Mrs. Weidenbach wants to be popular.
(b) Mrs. Vottsmeier will not bake any cherry tarts.
(c) She needs a place to host the party.
(d) Mary Alice has gotten herself into trouble at school.
3. How does Mrs. Weidenbach react to Grandma's demand?
(a) She is not surprised.
(b) She begins to cry.
(c) She is horrified.
(d) She laughs.
4. Royce shows himself to be very good at math, and partly to romance him, Mary Alice does what?
(a) Asks him to dinner.
(b) Talks to Royce about her problems at school.
(c) Invites him over to Grandma's house to have him tutor her.
(d) Asks him to tutor her at school.
5. A terrified Arnold Green pads down the stairs. How does he explain this surprising event?
(a) He was asking Maxine to marry him.
(b) He was tutor Maxine.
(c) He was having tea with Maxine.
(d) He was painting a nude portrait of Maxine when the snake fell from the rafters onto Maxine.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Christmas program is getting closer, and while Carleen Lovejoy has a magnificent costume, Mary Alice has only what?
2. Things are just about to go great when what happens?
3. The meeting proceeds, and Mrs. Weidenbach takes an opportunity to brag about what?
4. How is public opinion affected by changes in Arnold's behavior to impress the woman Grandma introduced to him?
5. How is the crowd shocked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is another way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this surprise important?
2. Who is the strange man who comes calling? Why?
3. What is the final surprise in this chapter? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
4. How does Mrs. Weidenbach act when Grandma agrees to bake the tarts, if the meeting is held at Grandma's home? Why does she react this way?
5. Why is this man in town? What does Grandma think of this?
6. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
7. What is learned about Mrs. Weidenbach? How is this significant?
8. What does Bootsie bring back to Mary Alice? Why might he do this?
9. How do the townspeople treat Arnold after this shocking event? Why?
10. Why does Mrs. Weidenbach ask for Grandma's help? Why is this surprising?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)