|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The man was sent by the government as part of the ________________ administration's ambitious public works project.
2. Mrs. Weidenbach and the DAR ladies arrive and are ____________ the women's presence.
(a) Happy with.
(b) Horrified by.
(c) Surprised by.
(d) Humored by.
3. Things are just about to go great when what happens?
(a) Arnold Green comes down from the attic.
(b) An ear-rending scream from the attic fills the air.
(c) A tornado hits.
(d) Royce says he must go home.
4. Royce shows himself to be very good at math, and partly to romance him, Mary Alice does what?
(a) Talks to Royce about her problems at school.
(b) Invites him over to Grandma's house to have him tutor her.
(c) Asks him to tutor her at school.
(d) Asks him to dinner.
5. In response, Grandma plays matchmaker and hosts a dinner with Arnold Green and who?
(b) The English teacher Miss Butler.
(c) Mary Alice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Weidenbach choose to go to Grandma Dowdel to solve this problem?
2. Mary Alice works up her nerve and writes an invitation to Royce. How does Royce respond?
3. ________________ remains Mary Alice's biggest nemesis.
4. By the end of the night, the two have ______________.
5. DAR is having its annual gathering to celebrate what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Weidenbach act when Grandma agrees to bake the tarts, if the meeting is held at Grandma's home? Why does she react this way?
2. Why might the townspeople act this way toward this strange man?
3. How is Carleen Lovejoy like Mildred Burdick?
4. What newspaper column does Mary Alice write? Why might she do this?
5. How does Grandma take advantage of this man? Why does she do this?
6. Why does Grandma change her mind regarding Mrs. Weidenbach's request?
7. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
8. How does Grandma initially respond to Mrs. Weidenbach's request? Why?
9. What is the most important part of the Christmas program? Why is it surprising that Mary Alice is chosen to play an important role in this? Why might she have been chosen?
10. What is another way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this surprise important?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)