|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Christmas time has arrived, and Miss Butler is having the kids make hot pads from what?
(a) Nylon pantyhose.
(b) Shoe strings.
(c) Bottle caps.
(d) Old clothes.
2. Royce shows himself to be very good at math, and partly to romance him, Mary Alice does what?
(a) Asks him to dinner.
(b) Asks him to tutor her at school.
(c) Talks to Royce about her problems at school.
(d) Invites him over to Grandma's house to have him tutor her.
3. How do the girls react to Royce McNabb, the new boy at school?
(a) They all swoon, including Mary Alice.
(b) They are cautious around him.
(c) They tease him.
(d) They ignore him.
4. The heart of the program is what?
(a) The Hallelujah Chorus.
(b) The dance number.
(c) The Nativity scene.
(d) The speech made by a senior.
5. Royce and Mary Alice awkwardly meet, and there is obvious _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Final exams are coming up at school, and while a whiz at English and composition, Mary Alice struggled with __________.
2. How is the crowd shocked?
3. Mrs. Weidenbach has come to Grandma because of what?
4. The town seems to come down on whose side, regarding this event?
5. Who invited the two ancient ladies to the DAR event?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bootsie bring back to Mary Alice? Why might he do this?
2. Why does Grandma change her mind regarding Mrs. Weidenbach's request?
3. How does Grandma initially respond to Mrs. Weidenbach's request? Why?
4. What is another way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this surprise important?
5. How does Mary Alice finally take a chance and ask Royce over to visit? How does Grandma feel about this? Why?
6. Why might the townspeople act this way toward this strange man?
7. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
8. How do Ina-Rae and Mary Alice get back at Carleen? Why do they do it in this way?
9. What is the final surprise in this chapter? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
10. What does Grandma do to pay the bills and survive during the Great Depression? How is this foreshadowed?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)