|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To take her mind off her fears, what does Mary Alice do?
(a) She sings to herself.
(b) She prays.
(c) She plays her Philco radio.
(d) She talks to Grandma.
2. Mary Alice has a Halloween party at school, and Grandma decides to do what?
(a) Buy her treats to share.
(b) GIve her apples for bobbing.
(c) Make her a costume.
(d) Bake pumpkin and pecan pies for it.
3. Usually it's a _________ for a cup of stew.
4. The next day, Grandma and Mary Alice drag a wagon to the home of farmer ___________.
(a) Old Lady Lynquist.
(b) Old Man Nyquist.
(c) Old Lady Nyquist.
(d) Old Man Lynquist.
5. Augie panics and flees. Why?
(a) Mary Alice is upset that he shot the rabbit.
(b) Grandma is running towards him.
(c) The car he shoots is owned by an irate Legionnaire.
(d) He does not want to look dumb in front of Mary Alice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandma do with the sliced food?
2. One night, Mary Alice is shocked to discover what about Bootsie?
3. Her desk mate dubs Mary Alice the "rich Chicago girl." Why?
4. Before Grandma leaves, about what does she warn Mary Alice?
5. Who is the son of the principal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandma get back at Old Man Nyquist? Should she have done this? Why or why not?
2. How does Mary Alice react to Mildred's plan for getting her dollar from Mary Alice? What does this reveal about her?
3. What is theme is strong in this section? Support your response with information from this section.
4. What is burgoo stew? How might this represent life during the Great Depression?
5. How does Grandma continue to taunt the pranksters during the party? How might the pranksters feel about this?
6. Why is Mary Alice afraid at night in her room? How does she deal with this fear?
7. What warning does Grandma give Mary Alice before she leaves her at school? What does this warning foreshadow?
8. How can Mary Alice now find out who the pranksters were?
9. Describe Halloween in this town. Why might it be like this?
10. Where does Mary Alice go directly after arriving in town? What is happening there when Mary Alice arrives?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)