|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is burgoo stew?
(a) A stew made from scraps of whatever vegetables and trimmings happen to be available.
(b) A stew made from burgoo.
(c) A beef stew.
(d) A deer stew.
2. At _____________ o' clock, everyone stops to observe a minute of silence for Armistice Day.
3. Where does Grandma make Bootsie live?
(a) In her room.
(b) In the basement.
(c) In the yard.
(d) In the cobhouse out back.
4. How does Grandma react to Mary Alice's arrival?
(a) She gives her a huge hug.
(b) She offers no hug or greeting and moans about having to take in her granddaughter.
(c) She begins to cry and tells her how much she has missed her.
(d) She completely ignores her.
5. What does Grandma think of this holiday?
(a) She hates it.
(b) It is her favorite.
(c) It is her least favorite.
(d) She does not think about this holiday.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator tells the reader that her father lost his job and her brother Joey has joined __________.
2. The day proceeds, and most of the _________________ are bad shots.
3. Grandma intimidates ________________ into paying more for the stew.
4. This farmer told Grandma she could have any ___________ that fell from his tree, but hardly any are on the ground.
5. She has them take off their shoes, and then she gives the girls buttermilk and __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Halloween in this town. Why might it be like this?
2. How does Grandma raise money for Mrs. Abernathy? Is this a good tactic? Why or why not?
3. How does Grandma continue to taunt the pranksters during the party? How might the pranksters feel about this?
4. How does Grandma trick Mildred? What does this reveal about her?
5. What has happened to Mrs. Abernathy's son? Is this still seen today? Why or why not?
6. How does Grandma handle these pranksters?
7. How has Bootsie changed since he moved in with Grandma? What has led to this change?
8. How does Grandma get back at Old Man Nyquist? Should she have done this? Why or why not?
9. How does Mildred go about attempting to collect the dollar from Mary Alice? What does this reveal about Mildred?
10. What is a main reason for why Mary Alice does not want to move in with her grandmother? Why might she feel this way?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)