|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grandma, acting quite polite, does what?
(a) Talks to Mildred out on the porch.
(b) Invites the girls inside.
(c) Gives Mildred the dollar.
(d) Tells Mildred to go home.
2. What happens when Augie aims his gun at the fleeing rabbit?
(a) The rabbit races underneath a parked car, and Augie winds up shooting out the new tire of the car.
(b) Mary Alice screams at him.
(c) He hits his target.
(d) He changes his mind and does not shoot at the rabbit.
3. What does Grandma think of Bootsie the cat?
(a) She does not think about him often.
(b) She likes him a lot.
(c) She does not care for him.
(d) She does not like him.
4. The narrator, Mary Alice, gets off the train, and, beyond a few clothes, her only possessions are her cat ____________ and her radio.
5. Mad, Grandma affixes a spare tire to the front of the farmer's tractor in the barn, and does what?
(a) Rams the tractor into the farmer's house.
(b) Steals the tractor.
(c) Rams the tractor into the tree.
(d) Runs the tractor into the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Grandma is widely known as an excellent markswoman, she will not be competing. Instead, what does she do?
2. Instead, what does Grandma do?
3. Grandma makes sure to do what with this boy's desert?
4. Augie panics and flees. Why?
5. At _____________ o' clock, everyone stops to observe a minute of silence for Armistice Day.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandma greet Mary Alice? Why might she act this way?
2. What does Grandma do when she arrives at the Pensingers' residence? Why does she do this?
3. Describe Halloween in this town. Why might it be like this?
4. Why is Mary Alice afraid at night in her room? How does she deal with this fear?
5. Why does Mary Alice move in with her grandmother? What does this reveal about the Great Depression?
6. What warning does Grandma give Mary Alice before she leaves her at school? What does this warning foreshadow?
7. What is theme is strong in this section? Support your response with information from this section.
8. Where does Mary Alice go directly after arriving in town? What is happening there when Mary Alice arrives?
9. What has happened to Mrs. Abernathy's son? Is this still seen today? Why or why not?
10. How does Grandma get back at Old Man Nyquist? Should she have done this? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)