|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the principal's son's appearance indicate?
(a) He was the prankster Grandma had covered in glue.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He fell down during the party.
(d) He is losing his eyesight.
2. With whom does Mary Alice share a room?
(a) Her Grandmother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) No one.
(d) Her sister.
3. The teacher is reading ____________ when Mary Alice enters the class.
(c) Louisa May Alcott.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
4. What is humorous about the answer to number 59?
(a) The cookies are made from her own almonds.
(b) The pie is made from her own pumpkins.
(c) The pie is made from her own apples.
(d) The pudding is made from her own corn.
5. What is the purpose of Armistice Day?
(a) It commemorates the end of World War II.
(b) It commemorates the end of World War I.
(c) It commemorates the day the U.S. took up arms against Great Britain during the Revolutionary War.
(d) It commemorates the day the Civil War ended.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary Alice accompanies Grandma upstairs for what reason?
2. Mary Alice has to share a desk with whom?
3. Grandma, acting quite polite, does what?
4. Every year the _____________________ hosts a sharpshooting contest at the Abernathy farm.
5. At lunch, Grandma becomes the unofficial ______________ for the burgoo.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary Alice react to Mildred's plan for getting her dollar from Mary Alice? What does this reveal about her?
2. How is Carleen Lovejoy like Mildred Burdick?
3. How does Grandma greet Mary Alice? Why might she act this way?
4. What is burgoo stew? How might this represent life during the Great Depression?
5. How does Grandma stay strong, yet reveal to Mary Alice her true feelings for her?
6. What does Mary Alice bring to Grandma's house? Why does she bring this?
7. What is Grandma's final surprise for Mary Alice? What does this reinforce about Grandma?
8. What does Mary Alice do when everyone else goes to the school basement? What does this reveal about her?
9. What is one way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this important?
10. Why is Mary Alice afraid at night in her room? How does she deal with this fear?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)