|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the year?
2. The teacher is reading ____________ when Mary Alice enters the class.
(c) Louisa May Alcott.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
3. Before Grandma leaves, about what does she warn Mary Alice?
(a) The Principal, August Fluke.
(b) One of the teachers, Miss Butler.
(c) One of the students, Mildred Burdick.
(d) One of the students, Ina-Rae Gage.
4. Where does Grandma make Bootsie live?
(a) In the cobhouse out back.
(b) In the yard.
(c) In the basement.
(d) In her room.
5. A forlorn Mary Alice informs Grandma of ______________.
(a) Mildred's following her.
(b) Her interest in being Mildred's friend.
(c) Mildred's demand.
(d) Mildred's desire to be her friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandma react to Mary Alice's arrival?
2. Grandma intimidates ________________ into paying more for the stew.
3. What is wrong with Mrs. Abernathy's grown son?
4. Mary Alice has a Halloween party at school, and Grandma decides to do what?
5. At lunch, Grandma becomes the unofficial ______________ for the burgoo.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events surrounding Augie's attempt to impress Mary Alice. What does this reinforce about his character?
2. What does Grandma think about Halloween? Why does she feel this way? Why would the reader probably not be surprised by this?
3. Where does Mary Alice go directly after arriving in town? What is happening there when Mary Alice arrives?
4. What happens to Bootsie one night? Why does this happen?
5. What has happened to Mrs. Abernathy's son? Is this still seen today? Why or why not?
6. What does Grandma do when she arrives at the Pensingers' residence? Why does she do this?
7. What is burgoo stew? How might this represent life during the Great Depression?
8. Why does Mary Alice move in with her grandmother? What does this reveal about the Great Depression?
9. What is a main reason for why Mary Alice does not want to move in with her grandmother? Why might she feel this way?
10. What is Armistice Day? What is a holiday that we have that serves a similar purpose? What is the purpose of this holiday?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)