|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Instead, what does Grandma do?
(a) She finds Mildred's mother.
(b) She goes for jam in the cellar.
(c) She unhitches Mildred's horse and hangs Mildred's shoes on the horse.
(d) She tells the neighbor of Mildred's plans.
2. Why does Grandma believe Mary Alice will not get beat up?
(a) Mildred has been put in her place.
(b) Mildred is too afraid of Grandma.
(c) Mildred will be too embarrassed to go to school the next day.
(d) Without a horse or shoes, Mildred will not attend school.
3. This family is locally known for its nice _________________.
4. Usually it's a _________ for a cup of stew.
5. The narrator tells the reader that her father lost his job and her brother Joey has joined __________.
(a) The Civilian Conservation Corps.
(b) A gang.
(c) The military.
(d) A union.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator, Mary Alice, gets off the train, and, beyond a few clothes, her only possessions are her cat ____________ and her radio.
2. Until the family recovers financially, the narrator will have to live with ________________ in an unnamed town.
3. Because of Grandma's intimidation tactics at lunch, Mrs. Abernathy will be able to survive for how long?
4. What has caused Mrs. Abernathy's son's illness?
5. To whose class is Mary Alice taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Bootsie one night? Why does this happen?
2. How does Mildred go about attempting to collect the dollar from Mary Alice? What does this reveal about Mildred?
3. Why is Mary Alice afraid at night in her room? How does she deal with this fear?
4. What has happened to Mrs. Abernathy's son? Is this still seen today? Why or why not?
5. What is Armistice Day? What is a holiday that we have that serves a similar purpose? What is the purpose of this holiday?
6. What does Grandma do instead of participating in the sharpshooting competition? Why might she do this?
7. What does Grandma do when she arrives at the Pensingers' residence? Why does she do this?
8. What is theme is strong in this section? Support your response with information from this section.
9. What is a main reason for why Mary Alice does not want to move in with her grandmother? Why might she feel this way?
10. How does Grandma trick Mildred? What does this reveal about her?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)