|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has broken the narrator and her mother?
(a) Their utility bills.
(b) The narrator's train ticket.
(c) The narrator's college tuition.
(d) Their rent.
2. Mary Alice is enrolled as a __________.
3. The narrator tells the reader that her father lost his job and her brother Joey has joined __________.
(a) The military.
(b) A gang.
(c) The Civilian Conservation Corps.
(d) A union.
4. To where does Mildred follow Mary Alice?
(a) To Grandma's house at the other end of town.
(b) To the grocery store.
(c) To Ina Rae's house.
(d) To Augie's house.
5. To take her mind off her fears, what does Mary Alice do?
(a) She prays.
(b) She talks to Grandma.
(c) She sings to herself.
(d) She plays her Philco radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead, what does Grandma do?
2. What is the purpose of Armistice Day?
3. Where does Grandma make Bootsie live?
4. What is wrong with the principal's son?
5. What is humorous about the answer to number 59?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Halloween in this town. Why might it be like this?
2. What is Armistice Day? What is a holiday that we have that serves a similar purpose? What is the purpose of this holiday?
3. What is a main reason for why Mary Alice does not want to move in with her grandmother? Why might she feel this way?
4. What is theme is strong in this section? Support your response with information from this section.
5. How does Grandma defeat Mildred, the bully? What lesson does this teach Mary Alice?
6. What does Grandma think about Halloween? Why does she feel this way? Why would the reader probably not be surprised by this?
7. How does Grandma get back at Old Man Nyquist? Should she have done this? Why or why not?
8. How does Old Man Nyquist upset Grandma?
9. How does Grandma continue to taunt the pranksters during the party? How might the pranksters feel about this?
10. How does Mildred go about attempting to collect the dollar from Mary Alice? What does this reveal about Mildred?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)