|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Grandma make Bootsie live?
(a) In the basement.
(b) In her room.
(c) In the yard.
(d) In the cobhouse out back.
2. Why does Grandma do this with the tractor?
(a) She wants the farmer to know how mad she is.
(b) She needs a tractor.
(c) She does not think the farmer needs a tractor.
(d) She makes it rain pecans.
3. The narrator, Mary Alice, gets off the train, and, beyond a few clothes, her only possessions are her cat ____________ and her radio.
4. With whom does Mary Alice share a room?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her Grandmother.
(d) No one.
5. Mary Alice has a Halloween party at school, and Grandma decides to do what?
(a) Make her a costume.
(b) GIve her apples for bobbing.
(c) Buy her treats to share.
(d) Bake pumpkin and pecan pies for it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Grandma believe Mary Alice will not get beat up?
2. After the shoot, Grandma unloads all the burgoo coins onto ____________.
3. While Grandma is widely known as an excellent markswoman, she will not be competing. Instead, what does she do?
4. The narrator tells the reader that her father lost his job and her brother Joey has joined __________.
5. Until the family recovers financially, the narrator will have to live with ________________ in an unnamed town.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Bootsie one night? Why does this happen?
2. What is burgoo stew? How might this represent life during the Great Depression?
3. Describe the events surrounding Augie's attempt to impress Mary Alice. What does this reinforce about his character?
4. What warning does Grandma give Mary Alice before she leaves her at school? What does this warning foreshadow?
5. How does Grandma defeat Mildred, the bully? What lesson does this teach Mary Alice?
6. What does Grandma do instead of participating in the sharpshooting competition? Why might she do this?
7. How does Mildred go about attempting to collect the dollar from Mary Alice? What does this reveal about Mildred?
8. How does Old Man Nyquist upset Grandma?
9. Why does Mary Alice move in with her grandmother? What does this reveal about the Great Depression?
10. How does Grandma greet Mary Alice? Why might she act this way?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)