|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Pensinger comes back for seconds on what?
(a) The apple pie.
(b) The corn pudding.
(c) The pumpkin pie.
(d) The almond cookies.
2. Who is one of the last to be served?
(c) Augie Fluke.
(d) Mary Alice.
3. A forlorn Mary Alice informs Grandma of ______________.
(a) Mildred's following her.
(b) Her interest in being Mildred's friend.
(c) Mildred's desire to be her friend.
(d) Mildred's demand.
4. Why does Grandma believe Mary Alice will not get beat up?
(a) Without a horse or shoes, Mildred will not attend school.
(b) Mildred has been put in her place.
(c) Mildred will be too embarrassed to go to school the next day.
(d) Mildred is too afraid of Grandma.
5. Who is the son of the principal?
(a) Augie Fluke.
(b) Matthew Thomas.
(c) Darrel Smiley.
(d) Carl Aberdeen.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Mary Alice share a room?
2. What is the purpose of Armistice Day?
3. She has them take off their shoes, and then she gives the girls buttermilk and __________.
4. It is revealed that a major reason for having the shoot at the Abernathy farm is do what?
5. This family is locally known for its nice _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandma defeat Mildred, the bully? What lesson does this teach Mary Alice?
2. How does Grandma continue to taunt the pranksters during the party? How might the pranksters feel about this?
3. Why does Mary Alice move in with her grandmother? What does this reveal about the Great Depression?
4. How does Mary Alice react to Mildred's plan for getting her dollar from Mary Alice? What does this reveal about her?
5. How does Grandma get back at Old Man Nyquist? Should she have done this? Why or why not?
6. What is a main reason for why Mary Alice does not want to move in with her grandmother? Why might she feel this way?
7. What is theme is strong in this section? Support your response with information from this section.
8. What does Grandma do instead of participating in the sharpshooting competition? Why might she do this?
9. How does Grandma trick Mildred? What does this reveal about her?
10. What has happened to Mrs. Abernathy's son? Is this still seen today? Why or why not?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)