|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mary Alice's favorite singer?
(a) Kate Smith.
(b) The Andrews Sisters.
(c) Michael Buble.
(d) Her mother.
2. Some ___________ come to the cobhouse and fall over the wire that Grandma strung.
3. The narrator, Mary Alice, gets off the train, and, beyond a few clothes, her only possessions are her cat ____________ and her radio.
4. Why does Grandma do this with the tractor?
(a) She does not think the farmer needs a tractor.
(b) She makes it rain pecans.
(c) She needs a tractor.
(d) She wants the farmer to know how mad she is.
5. The next day, Grandma and Mary Alice drag a wagon to the home of farmer ___________.
(a) Old Man Nyquist.
(b) Old Man Lynquist.
(c) Old Lady Nyquist.
(d) Old Lady Lynquist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandma know that the horse was not even Mildred's?
2. While Grandma is widely known as an excellent markswoman, she will not be competing. Instead, what does she do?
3. Wordlessly, Grandma stews up some _______ on the stove.
4. They scramble out of there, leaving behind what?
5. The narrator tells the reader that her father lost his job and her brother Joey has joined __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandma greet Mary Alice? Why might she act this way?
2. What warning does Grandma give Mary Alice before she leaves her at school? What does this warning foreshadow?
3. What is learned about Mrs. Weidenbach? How is this significant?
4. Why does Mary Alice move in with her grandmother? What does this reveal about the Great Depression?
5. What is one way that Grandma surprises Mary Alice during this holiday season? How is this important?
6. How does Grandma take advantage of this man? Why does she do this?
7. Who does Mary Alice believe is Grandma's best friend? Why does Grandma not admit it?
8. How is Carleen Lovejoy like Mildred Burdick?
9. How does Grandma continue to taunt the pranksters during the party? How might the pranksters feel about this?
10. Why is this man in town? What does Grandma think of this?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)