|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Until the family recovers financially, the narrator will have to live with ________________ in an unnamed town.
(a) Grandma Smith.
(b) Uncle Harold.
(c) Aunt Suzie.
(d) Grandma Dowdel.
2. Grandma comes out of the cobhouse, frightening the boys, and covers the leader in what?
(a) The sauce.
(b) The soup.
(c) The tar.
(d) The glue.
3. Mary Alice has a Halloween party at school, and Grandma decides to do what?
(a) Bake pumpkin and pecan pies for it.
(b) Make her a costume.
(c) GIve her apples for bobbing.
(d) Buy her treats to share.
4. Mildred intends to do what by following Mary Alice?
(a) Waste time.
(b) Learn more about Mary Alice.
(c) Ask her to be her friend.
(d) Collect the dollar from Grandma.
5. To take her mind off her fears, what does Mary Alice do?
(a) She plays her Philco radio.
(b) She talks to Grandma.
(c) She prays.
(d) She sings to herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary Alice is enrolled as a __________.
2. Mrs. Pensinger comes back for seconds on what?
3. While Mildred is eating, Grandma walks outside on the pretense that she is doing what?
4. With whom does Mary Alice share a room?
5. Grandma says Mrs. Abernathy receives money from whom for her son, but it is not enough?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Bootsie changed since he moved in with Grandma? What has led to this change?
2. Describe Halloween in this town. Why might it be like this?
3. Why does Mary Alice move in with her grandmother? What does this reveal about the Great Depression?
4. How does Grandma get back at Old Man Nyquist? Should she have done this? Why or why not?
5. What is a main reason for why Mary Alice does not want to move in with her grandmother? Why might she feel this way?
6. What is burgoo stew? How might this represent life during the Great Depression?
7. How does Grandma handle these pranksters?
8. What is theme is strong in this section? Support your response with information from this section.
9. What has happened to Mrs. Abernathy's son? Is this still seen today? Why or why not?
10. What does Grandma do when she arrives at the Pensingers' residence? Why does she do this?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)