|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has broken the narrator and her mother?
(a) The narrator's train ticket.
(b) Their utility bills.
(c) The narrator's college tuition.
(d) Their rent.
2. The narrator tells the reader that her father lost his job and her brother Joey has joined __________.
(a) A gang.
(b) The military.
(c) A union.
(d) The Civilian Conservation Corps.
3. Mad, Grandma affixes a spare tire to the front of the farmer's tractor in the barn, and does what?
(a) Steals the tractor.
(b) Rams the tractor into the tree.
(c) Rams the tractor into the farmer's house.
(d) Runs the tractor into the river.
4. The _____________ family are notoriously bad people.
5. Mary Alice has a Halloween party at school, and Grandma decides to do what?
(a) Make her a costume.
(b) Buy her treats to share.
(c) Bake pumpkin and pecan pies for it.
(d) GIve her apples for bobbing.
6. What is the year?
7. The day proceeds, and most of the _________________ are bad shots.
(a) Boy Scouts.
(c) NRA members.
8. Where does Grandma make Bootsie live?
(a) In the basement.
(b) In the yard.
(c) In the cobhouse out back.
(d) In her room.
9. The horse likely did what?
(a) Ran back to Mildred's home.
(b) Trotted back to its rightful owner.
(c) Stayed in the yard to eat grass.
(d) Ran away.
10. Who is Mary Alice's favorite singer?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The Andrews Sisters.
(c) Kate Smith.
(d) Michael Buble.
11. What is Augie Fluke intent on proving to Mary Alice?
(a) He can dance.
(b) He is a good shot.
(c) He is handsome.
(d) He is smart.
12. In a dank basement, they discover ______________, who is doubling as a janitor.
(a) An English teacher, Miss Butler.
(b) The principal, August Fluke.
(c) Another high school student, Augie Fluke.
(d) Mary Alice's brother, Joey.
13. What does Grandma think of Bootsie the cat?
(a) She does not care for him.
(b) She does not like him.
(c) She does not think about him often.
(d) She likes him a lot.
14. How does Grandma know that the horse was not even Mildred's?
(a) The horse threw Mildred off his back.
(b) The horse belongs to the neighbors down the road.
(c) Mildred's family is too poor to own any horses.
(d) Mildred's father is a notorious horse thief.
15. Her desk mate dubs Mary Alice the "rich Chicago girl." Why?
(a) Mary Alice is very rich.
(b) Mary Alice is dressed slightly better than her.
(c) Mary Alice is even more poor than she is.
(d) Mary Alice is quiet and comes across as a snob.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grandma makes sure to do what with this boy's desert?
2. Usually it's a _________ for a cup of stew.
3. Mary Alice accompanies Grandma upstairs for what reason?
4. At lunch, Grandma becomes the unofficial ______________ for the burgoo.
5. The teacher is reading ____________ when Mary Alice enters the class.
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)