|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a dank basement, they discover ______________, who is doubling as a janitor.
(a) An English teacher, Miss Butler.
(b) Another high school student, Augie Fluke.
(c) The principal, August Fluke.
(d) Mary Alice's brother, Joey.
2. What happens when Augie aims his gun at the fleeing rabbit?
(a) Mary Alice screams at him.
(b) He hits his target.
(c) The rabbit races underneath a parked car, and Augie winds up shooting out the new tire of the car.
(d) He changes his mind and does not shoot at the rabbit.
3. What is the year?
4. At _____________ o' clock, everyone stops to observe a minute of silence for Armistice Day.
5. What do Grandma and Mary Alice do at the cobhouse?
(a) Hide and wait.
(b) Taunt the boys.
(c) Place Bootsie on the wire.
(d) Go back inside the house.
6. After school, how does Mildred follow Mary Alice?
(a) On a horse.
(b) In a car.
(c) On a bike.
(d) On a motorcycle.
7. While Grandma is widely known as an excellent markswoman, she will not be competing. Instead, what does she do?
(a) She spends time with Mary Alice.
(b) She helps the wives of the Legionnaires prepare burgoo stew.
(c) She judges the competition.
(d) She sits inside and watches.
8. What is Augie Fluke intent on proving to Mary Alice?
(a) He can dance.
(b) He is smart.
(c) He is handsome.
(d) He is a good shot.
9. What has caused Mrs. Abernathy's son's illness?
(a) Toxic nerve gas used in World War I.
(b) Scarlet fever.
10. With whom does Mary Alice share a room?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her Grandmother.
(d) No one.
11. Some ___________ come to the cobhouse and fall over the wire that Grandma strung.
12. To take her mind off her fears, what does Mary Alice do?
(a) She plays her Philco radio.
(b) She prays.
(c) She talks to Grandma.
(d) She sings to herself.
13. The narrator, Mary Alice, gets off the train, and, beyond a few clothes, her only possessions are her cat ____________ and her radio.
14. What is the purpose of Armistice Day?
(a) It commemorates the day the U.S. took up arms against Great Britain during the Revolutionary War.
(b) It commemorates the end of World War I.
(c) It commemorates the end of World War II.
(d) It commemorates the day the Civil War ended.
15. Augie panics and flees. Why?
(a) Mary Alice is upset that he shot the rabbit.
(b) Grandma is running towards him.
(c) He does not want to look dumb in front of Mary Alice.
(d) The car he shoots is owned by an irate Legionnaire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grandma, acting quite polite, does what?
2. Grandma takes Mary Alice directly where?
3. Grandma intimidates ________________ into paying more for the stew.
4. What is wrong with Mrs. Abernathy's grown son?
5. Mary Alice has to share a desk with whom?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)