|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Until the family recovers financially, the narrator will have to live with ________________ in an unnamed town.
(a) Uncle Harold.
(b) Aunt Suzie.
(c) Grandma Dowdel.
(d) Grandma Smith.
2. Who is Mary Alice's favorite singer?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Michael Buble.
(c) Kate Smith.
(d) The Andrews Sisters.
3. How does Grandma react to Mary Alice's arrival?
(a) She begins to cry and tells her how much she has missed her.
(b) She gives her a huge hug.
(c) She offers no hug or greeting and moans about having to take in her granddaughter.
(d) She completely ignores her.
4. How does Grandma know that the horse was not even Mildred's?
(a) Mildred's father is a notorious horse thief.
(b) The horse threw Mildred off his back.
(c) Mildred's family is too poor to own any horses.
(d) The horse belongs to the neighbors down the road.
5. Mary Alice has to share a desk with whom?
(b) Ina Rae.
6. This farmer told Grandma she could have any ___________ that fell from his tree, but hardly any are on the ground.
7. What is burgoo stew?
(a) A beef stew.
(b) A deer stew.
(c) A stew made from scraps of whatever vegetables and trimmings happen to be available.
(d) A stew made from burgoo.
8. Grandma intimidates ________________ into paying more for the stew.
(b) The men.
(c) The poor.
(d) All who can afford it.
9. Every year the _____________________ hosts a sharpshooting contest at the Abernathy farm.
(a) National Rifle Association.
(b) Military Post.
(c) American Legion.
(d) Boy Scouts.
10. Wordlessly, Grandma stews up some _______ on the stove.
11. After school, how does Mildred follow Mary Alice?
(a) In a car.
(b) On a bike.
(c) On a horse.
(d) On a motorcycle.
12. The narrator, Mary Alice, gets off the train, and, beyond a few clothes, her only possessions are her cat ____________ and her radio.
13. Some ___________ come to the cobhouse and fall over the wire that Grandma strung.
14. What do Grandma and Mary Alice do at the cobhouse?
(a) Hide and wait.
(b) Place Bootsie on the wire.
(c) Go back inside the house.
(d) Taunt the boys.
15. Usually it's a _________ for a cup of stew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the year?
2. What has broken the narrator and her mother?
3. One night, Mary Alice is shocked to discover what about Bootsie?
4. Who is one of the last to be served?
5. At _____________ o' clock, everyone stops to observe a minute of silence for Armistice Day.
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)