|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Next, Grandma and Mary Alice travel to the _______________ residence.
2. With whom does Mary Alice share a room?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her Grandmother.
(c) Her brother.
(d) No one.
3. Mary Alice is enrolled as a __________.
4. Wordlessly, Grandma stews up some _______ on the stove.
5. While Mildred is eating, Grandma walks outside on the pretense that she is doing what?
(a) Fetching jam from the cellar.
(b) Tying up Mildred's horse for her.
(c) Going for a walk.
(d) Visiting a neighbor.
6. Instead, what does Grandma do?
(a) She goes for jam in the cellar.
(b) She finds Mildred's mother.
(c) She tells the neighbor of Mildred's plans.
(d) She unhitches Mildred's horse and hangs Mildred's shoes on the horse.
7. The narrator tells the reader that her father lost his job and her brother Joey has joined __________.
(a) A union.
(b) The military.
(c) A gang.
(d) The Civilian Conservation Corps.
8. What does Grandma think of this holiday?
(a) It is her favorite.
(b) It is her least favorite.
(c) She does not think about this holiday.
(d) She hates it.
9. Why is it important that the school is many miles from Mildred's house?
(a) She will be late to school the next day.
(b) It is too far for Mildred to go to complain about Grandma's behavior.
(c) She will not be able to follow Mary Alice home from school the next day.
(d) It is too far for her to get to without a horse or shoes.
10. Augie panics and flees. Why?
(a) He does not want to look dumb in front of Mary Alice.
(b) Mary Alice is upset that he shot the rabbit.
(c) Grandma is running towards him.
(d) The car he shoots is owned by an irate Legionnaire.
11. After school, how does Mildred follow Mary Alice?
(a) In a car.
(b) On a bike.
(c) On a motorcycle.
(d) On a horse.
12. The pies turn the party from _______________.
(a) Pathetic to fun.
(b) Fun to pathetic.
(c) Games to food.
(d) Large to small.
13. What frightens Mary Alice in her room?
(a) The shadows on the wall.
(b) The dark.
(d) Things scuttling behind the walls and bumps coming from the attic.
14. Why does Grandma do this with the tractor?
(a) She makes it rain pecans.
(b) She needs a tractor.
(c) She wants the farmer to know how mad she is.
(d) She does not think the farmer needs a tractor.
15. What is humorous about the answer to number 59?
(a) The cookies are made from her own almonds.
(b) The pie is made from her own apples.
(c) The pie is made from her own pumpkins.
(d) The pudding is made from her own corn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has broken the narrator and her mother?
2. The horse likely did what?
3. To where does Mildred follow Mary Alice?
4. Her desk mate dubs Mary Alice the "rich Chicago girl." Why?
5. Grandma dodges Mary Alice's question of what?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)