|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has broken the narrator and her mother?
(a) Their utility bills.
(b) The narrator's train ticket.
(c) Their rent.
(d) The narrator's college tuition.
2. Her desk mate dubs Mary Alice the "rich Chicago girl." Why?
(a) Mary Alice is dressed slightly better than her.
(b) Mary Alice is even more poor than she is.
(c) Mary Alice is very rich.
(d) Mary Alice is quiet and comes across as a snob.
3. Grandma takes Mary Alice directly where?
(b) A restaurant for dinner.
(d) High school.
4. Every year the _____________________ hosts a sharpshooting contest at the Abernathy farm.
(a) Military Post.
(b) American Legion.
(c) Boy Scouts.
(d) National Rifle Association.
5. What does Grandma think of this holiday?
(a) It is her least favorite.
(b) It is her favorite.
(c) She does not think about this holiday.
(d) She hates it.
6. What is the purpose of Armistice Day?
(a) It commemorates the end of World War I.
(b) It commemorates the day the U.S. took up arms against Great Britain during the Revolutionary War.
(c) It commemorates the end of World War II.
(d) It commemorates the day the Civil War ended.
7. One night, Mary Alice is shocked to discover what about Bootsie?
(a) He is missing.
(b) He is pregnant.
(c) He had a rusty tin can tied around his tail.
(d) He is sick.
8. Mary Alice figures Mildred will do what to her at school tomorrow?
(a) Tease her.
(b) Beat her up.
(c) Befriend her.
(d) Ignore her.
9. What happens when Augie aims his gun at the fleeing rabbit?
(a) The rabbit races underneath a parked car, and Augie winds up shooting out the new tire of the car.
(b) Mary Alice screams at him.
(c) He changes his mind and does not shoot at the rabbit.
(d) He hits his target.
10. Grandma comes out of the cobhouse, frightening the boys, and covers the leader in what?
(a) The glue.
(b) The tar.
(c) The soup.
(d) The sauce.
11. This family is locally known for its nice _________________.
12. What is wrong with Mrs. Abernathy's grown son?
(a) He is lying in his bed, moaning.
(b) He is on crutches.
(c) He is unable to talk.
(d) He is in a wheelchair, blinded, and mentally ill.
13. To where does Mildred follow Mary Alice?
(a) To the grocery store.
(b) To Ina Rae's house.
(c) To Augie's house.
(d) To Grandma's house at the other end of town.
14. Where does Grandma make Bootsie live?
(a) In the yard.
(b) In her room.
(c) In the cobhouse out back.
(d) In the basement.
15. Mary Alice has to share a desk with whom?
(a) Ina Rae.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of the last to be served?
2. Out of whom does Grandma squeeze a whole silver dollar?
3. What is burgoo stew?
4. How old is the narrator?
5. What does Grandma think of Bootsie the cat?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)