|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the shoot, Grandma unloads all the burgoo coins onto ____________.
(a) Her kitchen table.
(b) Mrs. Abernathy's table.
(c) A picnic table outside.
(d) Her lap.
2. The narrator tells the reader that her father lost his job and her brother Joey has joined __________.
(a) The military.
(b) The Civilian Conservation Corps.
(c) A union.
(d) A gang.
3. The narrator, Mary Alice, gets off the train, and, beyond a few clothes, her only possessions are her cat ____________ and her radio.
4. One night, Mary Alice is shocked to discover what about Bootsie?
(a) He had a rusty tin can tied around his tail.
(b) He is pregnant.
(c) He is sick.
(d) He is missing.
5. This family is locally known for its nice _________________.
6. How old is the narrator?
7. Mary Alice accompanies Grandma upstairs for what reason?
(a) To help her.
(b) To help Mrs. Abernathy clean her home.
(c) To help Mrs. Abernathy.
(d) To see why Mrs. Abernathy is struggling.
8. Grandma dodges Mary Alice's question of what?
(a) Whether or not the rest of her class wants treats.
(b) Whether or not they are stealing.
(c) Whether or not they should eat pie.
(d) Whether or not they are invited guests.
9. What frightens Mary Alice in her room?
(a) The shadows on the wall.
(c) The dark.
(d) Things scuttling behind the walls and bumps coming from the attic.
10. Where does Grandma make Bootsie live?
(a) In the basement.
(b) In her room.
(c) In the yard.
(d) In the cobhouse out back.
11. What has broken the narrator and her mother?
(a) The narrator's train ticket.
(b) Their rent.
(c) The narrator's college tuition.
(d) Their utility bills.
12. The next day, Grandma and Mary Alice drag a wagon to the home of farmer ___________.
(a) Old Lady Nyquist.
(b) Old Man Lynquist.
(c) Old Man Nyquist.
(d) Old Lady Lynquist.
13. Grandma intimidates ________________ into paying more for the stew.
(a) The men.
(b) The poor.
(c) All who can afford it.
14. At _____________ o' clock, everyone stops to observe a minute of silence for Armistice Day.
15. The pies turn the party from _______________.
(a) Pathetic to fun.
(b) Games to food.
(c) Large to small.
(d) Fun to pathetic.
Short Answer Questions
1. The horse likely did what?
2. They scramble out of there, leaving behind what?
3. Who is the son of the principal?
4. Instead, what does Grandma do?
5. What does Grandma do with the sliced food?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)