|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Grandma react to Mary Alice's arrival?
(a) She completely ignores her.
(b) She gives her a huge hug.
(c) She offers no hug or greeting and moans about having to take in her granddaughter.
(d) She begins to cry and tells her how much she has missed her.
2. To where does Mildred follow Mary Alice?
(a) To Augie's house.
(b) To the grocery store.
(c) To Grandma's house at the other end of town.
(d) To Ina Rae's house.
3. A forlorn Mary Alice informs Grandma of ______________.
(a) Mildred's following her.
(b) Mildred's desire to be her friend.
(c) Mildred's demand.
(d) Her interest in being Mildred's friend.
4. Grandma intimidates ________________ into paying more for the stew.
(a) The poor.
(b) All who can afford it.
(d) The men.
5. The narrator, Mary Alice, gets off the train, and, beyond a few clothes, her only possessions are her cat ____________ and her radio.
6. What is the purpose of Armistice Day?
(a) It commemorates the day the U.S. took up arms against Great Britain during the Revolutionary War.
(b) It commemorates the end of World War II.
(c) It commemorates the day the Civil War ended.
(d) It commemorates the end of World War I.
7. Halloween is a _________ occasion in Grandma's town.
8. Finally home, Grandma cuts the food open with what?
(a) An electric saw.
(b) The pranksters' handsaw.
(c) A butter knife.
(d) A carving knife.
9. What is wrong with the principal's son?
(a) He is wearing glasses.
(b) He is on crutches.
(c) He has a bald, irritated head and a bandaged nose.
(d) He is coughing.
10. The _____________ family are notoriously bad people.
11. What does Grandma think of this holiday?
(a) She does not think about this holiday.
(b) It is her favorite.
(c) It is her least favorite.
(d) She hates it.
12. What do Grandma and Mary Alice do at the cobhouse?
(a) Go back inside the house.
(b) Hide and wait.
(c) Place Bootsie on the wire.
(d) Taunt the boys.
13. They scramble out of there, leaving behind what?
(a) A flashlight and beer.
(b) A cut up can.
(c) Candy and cookies.
(d) A knife and a handsaw.
14. With whom does Mary Alice share a room?
(a) Her Grandmother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) No one.
(d) Her sister.
15. This farmer told Grandma she could have any ___________ that fell from his tree, but hardly any are on the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a dank basement, they discover ______________, who is doubling as a janitor.
2. Mildred intends to do what by following Mary Alice?
3. What is burgoo stew?
4. Why is it important that the school is many miles from Mildred's house?
5. Usually it's a _________ for a cup of stew.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)