Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Alice move in with her grandmother? What does this reveal about the Great Depression?
2. What is a main reason for why Mary Alice does not want to move in with her grandmother? Why might she feel this way?
3. What does Mary Alice bring to Grandma's house? Why does she bring this?
4. How does Grandma greet Mary Alice? Why might she act this way?
5. Where does Mary Alice go directly after arriving in town? What is happening there when Mary Alice arrives?
6. What warning does Grandma give Mary Alice before she leaves her at school? What does this warning foreshadow?
7. How does Mildred go about attempting to collect the dollar from Mary Alice? What does this reveal about Mildred?
8. How does Mary Alice react to Mildred's plan for getting her dollar from Mary Alice? What does this reveal about her?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)