|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Away in a Manger.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it important that the school is many miles from Mildred's house?
(a) She will not be able to follow Mary Alice home from school the next day.
(b) She will be late to school the next day.
(c) It is too far for Mildred to go to complain about Grandma's behavior.
(d) It is too far for her to get to without a horse or shoes.
2. The horse likely did what?
(a) Stayed in the yard to eat grass.
(b) Ran back to Mildred's home.
(c) Ran away.
(d) Trotted back to its rightful owner.
3. The narrator tells the reader that her father lost his job and her brother Joey has joined __________.
(a) The military.
(b) A gang.
(c) The Civilian Conservation Corps.
(d) A union.
4. How does Grandma know that the horse was not even Mildred's?
(a) Mildred's family is too poor to own any horses.
(b) Mildred's father is a notorious horse thief.
(c) The horse belongs to the neighbors down the road.
(d) The horse threw Mildred off his back.
5. What is wrong with Mrs. Abernathy's grown son?
(a) He is unable to talk.
(b) He is on crutches.
(c) He is lying in his bed, moaning.
(d) He is in a wheelchair, blinded, and mentally ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Like a typical bully, what does Mary Alice's desk mate demand from Mary Alice?
2. Every year the _____________________ hosts a sharpshooting contest at the Abernathy farm.
3. With whom does Mary Alice share a room?
4. While Mildred is eating, Grandma walks outside on the pretense that she is doing what?
5. The next day, Grandma and Mary Alice drag a wagon to the home of farmer ___________.
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)