|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Away in a Manger.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with Mrs. Abernathy's grown son?
(a) He is lying in his bed, moaning.
(b) He is in a wheelchair, blinded, and mentally ill.
(c) He is unable to talk.
(d) He is on crutches.
2. What do Grandma and Mary Alice do at the cobhouse?
(a) Taunt the boys.
(b) Place Bootsie on the wire.
(c) Hide and wait.
(d) Go back inside the house.
3. The teacher is reading ____________ when Mary Alice enters the class.
(b) Louisa May Alcott.
(c) Emily Dickinson.
4. How does Grandma react to Mary Alice's arrival?
(a) She offers no hug or greeting and moans about having to take in her granddaughter.
(b) She completely ignores her.
(c) She begins to cry and tells her how much she has missed her.
(d) She gives her a huge hug.
5. Her desk mate dubs Mary Alice the "rich Chicago girl." Why?
(a) Mary Alice is even more poor than she is.
(b) Mary Alice is dressed slightly better than her.
(c) Mary Alice is very rich.
(d) Mary Alice is quiet and comes across as a snob.
Short Answer Questions
1. Augie panics and flees. Why?
2. How does Grandma know that the horse was not even Mildred's?
3. Mary Alice accompanies Grandma upstairs for what reason?
4. The narrator tells the reader that her father lost his job and her brother Joey has joined __________.
5. She has them take off their shoes, and then she gives the girls buttermilk and __________.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)