Objective: Prologue, and Rich Chicago Girl The Prologue introduces the main characters and the setting of the story. This lesson will discuss the Prologue and its purpose.
1) Class Discussion: Summarize the Prologue.
2) Small Group Activity: What is the purpose of the Prologue. Who are the characters? What is learned about each character? What is the setting?
3) Class Discussion: Discuss the students' responses and create a graphic organizer. How might all of this information be significant to the story?
4) Individual Activity: Research Middle America during the Great Depression. What was life like? What was the economy like in this location at this time?
5) Class Discussion: Have the students share their research and create a graphic organizer. How does this region and period compare to your own today?
6) Homework: In what ways does the author help the reader relate to these characters? Why is this important?
This section contains 4,781 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)