Lesson 1 (from Prologue, and Rich Chicago Girl)
Prologue, and Rich Chicago Girl
The Prologue introduces the main characters and the setting of the story. This lesson will discuss the Prologue and its purpose.
1) Class Discussion: Summarize the Prologue.
2) Small Group Activity: What is the purpose of the Prologue. Who are the characters? What is learned about each character? What is the setting?
3) Class Discussion: Discuss the students' responses and create a graphic organizer. How might all of this information be significant to the story?
4) Individual Activity: Research Middle America during the Great Depression. What was life like? What was the economy like in this location at this time?
5) Class Discussion: Have the students share their research and create a graphic organizer. How does this region and period compare to your own today?
6) Homework: In what ways does the author help the reader relate to these characters? Why is this important?
Lesson 2 (from Prologue, and Rich Chicago Girl)
This section contains 4,587 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)