Chapter 1, Ebb Tide
• "A Year by the Sea" begins with Joan and her husband of many years preparing to separate.
• Joan found herself overwhelmed, but looking forward to the personal growth and understanding that she hoped to gain, living alone in her Cape Cod cottage.
• Young Joan met her future husband at Yale, where they were both students together.
• Over the years, Joan played the role of loving caretaker to her family, but she wished that her husband would show her more affection and reveal more of his feelings to her, rather than being standoffish, composed, and polite.
• To compensate for her loneliness, Joan would often throw elaborate parties where she entertained everyone, but her husband would always just sit quietly in the corner.
• Joan's husband would describe them by saying that she was Technicolor (the brand-name for the first movies with brilliant color), while he was black-and-white...
This section contains 3,836 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)