|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With so many hominid species existing in the past, why did only one survive?
2. How did humans become dispersed across the planet?
3. Anders Celsius, who designed the Celsius thermometer, was an:
4. Bryson states that the first species to care for its weak and frail members was:
5. A Swedish DNA study concludes that all modern humans descended from how many people in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the water distribution across the world's major oceans?
2. Throughout the history of Earth, what are some of the causes of different species going extinct?
3. Describe the presence of bacteria in humans.
4. What is cytoplasm?
5. What is a hominid? Describe some of the hominids that existed in the past.
6. What are cyanobacteria? How did they affect the environment billions of years ago?
7. What does Bryson caution regarding extinction?
8. What are bipeds? What are some of the unique challenges they face because of their structure?
9. What does the author say about radioactive waste being dumped into oceans?
10. Describe what happened when the KT meteor crashed on Earth, killing off the dinosaurs.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, in detail, the composition and function of a cell.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what the author means about Yellowstone being a supervolcano. What do scientists know about Yellowstone's history? How did it form? What is a caldera? Describe other supervolcanoes the author writes about.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events that led to the discovery of Pluto and later of its moon. Then, describe the debate that went on regarding whether Pluto is a true planet.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)