|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most life on Earth is based on what element?
2. The KT meteor caused dinosaurs to become extinct but paved the way for what to become the new dominant species?
3. The human body is composed of how many cells?
4. Bacteria take nitrogen from the air and form it into what?
5. Of the available land on Earth, how much is suitable for people to live on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why haven't scientists discovered every species of plant and animal life yet?
2. Why does Bryson say that fossils represent only a tiny fraction of life on Earth?
3. What is the water distribution across the world's major oceans?
4. What are cyanobacteria? How did they affect the environment billions of years ago?
5. Describe the fossilized traces of microbes found in Greenland.
6. Throughout the history of Earth, what are some of the causes of different species going extinct?
7. Describe the presence of bacteria in humans.
8. What is cytoplasm?
9. Describe the layer of atmosphere called the troposphere.
10. How are scientific discoveries challenging the understanding of human evolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, in detail, the composition and function of a cell.
Essay Topic 2
When Charles Darwin came up with the concept of evolution and natural selection, he was met by much opposition. Describe the controversy surrounding Darwin's theories. Why did people oppose his observations? How did he feel about this? Scientifically, what made his theories seem improbable?
Essay Topic 3
In your own words, explain Superstring Theory.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)