|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The internal workings of cells are:
2. According to Bryson, what percentage of all animal and plant life is yet to be discovered?
3. What percentage of all existing water is fresh water?
4. Approximately 50 million years ago, Antarctica was:
5. How did humans become dispersed across the planet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does DNA replicate itself?
2. What does a Swedish DNA study reveal about the origins of modern man?
3. How are traits determined genetically?
4. How do ice ages begin?
5. Why does Bryson say that fossils represent only a tiny fraction of life on Earth?
6. What did scientists find in the Burgess Shale of British Columbia?
7. Describe the fossilized traces of microbes found in Greenland.
8. What is cytoplasm?
9. What is Carl Linnaeus known for?
10. What is the water distribution across the world's major oceans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain supernovas. What exactly are they? Describe the mechanism behind them. How long do they last? What contributions do supernovas make to the universe?
Essay Topic 2
When Charles Darwin came up with the concept of evolution and natural selection, he was met by much opposition. Describe the controversy surrounding Darwin's theories. Why did people oppose his observations? How did he feel about this? Scientifically, what made his theories seem improbable?
Essay Topic 3
How has man influenced the extinction of plant and animal species? How does the author feel about this influence? What does his writing state or imply about what should be done differently?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)