|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first hand axe was shaped with a stone how many years ago?
2. The early Cambrian period, or the Cambrian explosion, refers to a time how long ago?
3. Which of the following is not one of the five major extinction episodes on Earth?
4. Most human traits, including eye color, are determined by:
5. In a cell, what is the cytoplasm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much of Earth's land is suitable for humans to live on?
2. Describe the Indonesian volcanic eruption of 1815.
3. Describe the fossilized traces of microbes found in Greenland.
4. What are bipeds? What are some of the unique challenges they face because of their structure?
5. How long do human cells live?
6. What is a hominid? Describe some of the hominids that existed in the past.
7. Throughout the history of Earth, what are some of the causes of different species going extinct?
8. Describe the layer of atmosphere called the troposphere.
9. What are cyanobacteria? How did they affect the environment billions of years ago?
10. What does a Swedish DNA study reveal about the origins of modern man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain supernovas. What exactly are they? Describe the mechanism behind them. How long do they last? What contributions do supernovas make to the universe?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Bryson says about water distribution on our planet. How much is saltwater? How much is fresh water? Describe where the different types of water are distributed throughout the world.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how lead, despite being toxic to humans, found its way into gasoline. Why was safety ignored? Who fought to remove lead from gasoline? Describe this individual, his campaign, and the resistance he met. What was the outcome of his campaign?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)