|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the five major extinction episodes on Earth?
2. According to Bryson, what percentage of all animal and plant life is yet to be discovered?
3. Compared to Homo sapiens, Neanderthals were:
4. If Earth did not have an atmosphere, it would be what?
5. Most human traits, including eye color, are determined by:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about bacteria and humans, particularly their interaction?
2. How does DNA replicate itself?
3. What did scientists find in the Burgess Shale of British Columbia?
4. What did Charles Darwin do on the HMS Beagle?
5. Why does Bryson say that fossils represent only a tiny fraction of life on Earth?
6. How are traits determined genetically?
7. What is cytoplasm?
8. How do ice ages begin?
9. How much of Earth's land is suitable for humans to live on?
10. What is the water distribution across the world's major oceans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe who the following scientists were and how they started out in their careers, and explain what they are best known for:
1. Marie Curie.
2. Albert Einstein.
3. Carl Sagan.
Essay Topic 2
Describe, in detail, the composition and function of a cell.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why scientists were reluctant to believe evidence of our planet's actual age. How did belief systems get in the way of scientific evidence?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)