|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Species appear to exist, on average, how long?
2. What is the name of the Navy-funded mini submarine often used in undersea explorations?
3. What percentage of a person's genes are shared with all other humans?
4. The author mentions the case of bacteria surviving for two years in a sealed camera lens where?
5. What percentage of the human body consists of water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Charles Darwin do on the HMS Beagle?
2. How long do human cells live?
3. What is cytoplasm?
4. What are bipeds? What are some of the unique challenges they face because of their structure?
5. Describe the presence of bacteria in humans.
6. What are cyanobacteria? How did they affect the environment billions of years ago?
7. Describe the fossilized traces of microbes found in Greenland.
8. What is Carl Linnaeus known for?
9. Throughout the history of Earth, what are some of the causes of different species going extinct?
10. What is a hominid? Describe some of the hominids that existed in the past.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what Bryson says about water distribution on our planet. How much is saltwater? How much is fresh water? Describe where the different types of water are distributed throughout the world.
Essay Topic 2
What is continental drift? How did this concept emerge within the scientific community? How long did it take for this idea to gain acceptance? What evidence pointed to the reality of continental drift?
Essay Topic 3
Describe who the following scientists were and how they started out in their careers, and explain what they are best known for:
1. Marie Curie.
2. Albert Einstein.
3. Carl Sagan.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)