|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bryson states that the first species to care for its weak and frail members was:
2. When the KT meteor that killed the dinosaurs hit Earth, what percentage of life on the planet perished?
3. The early Cambrian period, or the Cambrian explosion, refers to a time how long ago?
4. Anders Celsius, who designed the Celsius thermometer, was an:
5. Approximately how many bacteria live on a square centimeter of human skin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are bipeds? What are some of the unique challenges they face because of their structure?
2. How much of Earth's land is suitable for humans to live on?
3. What does a Swedish DNA study reveal about the origins of modern man?
4. Why does Bryson say that fossils represent only a tiny fraction of life on Earth?
5. Describe the layer of atmosphere called the troposphere.
6. What type of scientific work did the monk and scientist Gregor Mendel do?
7. Describe what happened when the KT meteor crashed on Earth, killing off the dinosaurs.
8. How many elements occur naturally on Earth? How many are central to life?
9. How do ice ages begin?
10. How does DNA replicate itself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your own words, explain Superstring Theory.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events that led to the discovery of Pluto and later of its moon. Then, describe the debate that went on regarding whether Pluto is a true planet.
Essay Topic 3
The author shares many stories of one person making an important discovery and someone else getting credit for it. Cite two examples of this. Why does Bryson discuss these cases? What do you feel he is trying to reveal about scientific discoveries and the scientific community?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)