|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the current estimate of the number of species that have lived on Earth since the beginning of life on our planet?
2. The early Cambrian period, or the Cambrian explosion, refers to a time how long ago?
3. Photosynthesis was developed during the early history of life on Earth by what?
4. How many elements occur naturally on Earth?
5. Charles Darwin suggested that evolution was a process taking millions of years, which many met with skepticism because scientists:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about oxygen and the highest elevations people can live at?
2. What is the water distribution across the world's major oceans?
3. Throughout the history of Earth, what are some of the causes of different species going extinct?
4. Describe what happened when the KT meteor crashed on Earth, killing off the dinosaurs.
5. Describe the Indonesian volcanic eruption of 1815.
6. What is Carl Linnaeus known for?
7. Describe the layer of atmosphere called the troposphere.
8. What is a hominid? Describe some of the hominids that existed in the past.
9. What does the author say about radioactive waste being dumped into oceans?
10. What is cytoplasm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are quarks? Describe them in detail, including their function, composition, colors, and "flavors."
Essay Topic 2
In your own words, explain Superstring Theory.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Bryson says about water distribution on our planet. How much is saltwater? How much is fresh water? Describe where the different types of water are distributed throughout the world.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)