|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How quickly can bacteria create a new generation?
2. What book did paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould write?
3. Anders Celsius, who designed the Celsius thermometer, was an:
4. What is the current estimate of the number of species that have lived on Earth since the beginning of life on our planet?
5. According to Bryson, what percentage of all animal and plant life is yet to be discovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are scientific discoveries challenging the understanding of human evolution?
2. Describe the Indonesian volcanic eruption of 1815.
3. Describe the presence of bacteria in humans.
4. What is the water distribution across the world's major oceans?
5. Describe the layer of atmosphere called the troposphere.
6. How long do human cells live?
7. How are traits determined genetically?
8. Describe what happened when the KT meteor crashed on Earth, killing off the dinosaurs.
9. What type of scientific work did the monk and scientist Gregor Mendel do?
10. What does the author lament about the study of wildlife throughout much of human history?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has man influenced the extinction of plant and animal species? How does the author feel about this influence? What does his writing state or imply about what should be done differently?
Essay Topic 2
When Charles Darwin came up with the concept of evolution and natural selection, he was met by much opposition. Describe the controversy surrounding Darwin's theories. Why did people oppose his observations? How did he feel about this? Scientifically, what made his theories seem improbable?
Essay Topic 3
What is continental drift? How did this concept emerge within the scientific community? How long did it take for this idea to gain acceptance? What evidence pointed to the reality of continental drift?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)