|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most life on Earth is based on what element?
2. The author states that extinction seems to be:
3. The internal workings of cells are:
4. A Swedish DNA study concludes that all modern humans descended from how many people in Africa?
5. How many elements occur naturally on Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bryson say that fossils represent only a tiny fraction of life on Earth?
2. Why haven't scientists discovered every species of plant and animal life yet?
3. What is cytoplasm?
4. What did scientists find in the Burgess Shale of British Columbia?
5. What is Carl Linnaeus known for?
6. What does Bryson caution regarding extinction?
7. Describe the layer of atmosphere called the troposphere.
8. How much of Earth's land is suitable for humans to live on?
9. What type of scientific work did the monk and scientist Gregor Mendel do?
10. What did Charles Darwin do on the HMS Beagle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your own words, explain Superstring Theory.
Essay Topic 2
What are quarks? Describe them in detail, including their function, composition, colors, and "flavors."
Essay Topic 3
Explain how lead, despite being toxic to humans, found its way into gasoline. Why was safety ignored? Who fought to remove lead from gasoline? Describe this individual, his campaign, and the resistance he met. What was the outcome of his campaign?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)