|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percentage of all existing water is fresh water?
2. Anders Celsius, who designed the Celsius thermometer, was an:
3. The skeleton "Lucy" found in Ethiopia in 1974 is thought to come from the hominid species:
(a) Sahelanthropus tchadensis.
(b) Kenyanthropus platyops.
(c) Homo habilis.
4. Ice ages are caused by:
(a) Lunar eclipses.
(b) Solar eclipses.
(c) Unusually cool summers.
(d) Abnormally harsh winters.
5. Trilobites are fossils of what?
(a) Flying dinosaurs.
(b) Marine creatures.
(c) Leafy ferns.
(d) Spiky cacti.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of the human body consists of water?
2. Gregor Mendel, who conducted research on transmittal of traits in pea plants, was a scientist and a:
3. Approximately 50 million years ago, Antarctica was:
4. In a cell, what is the cytoplasm?
5. The author states that one scientist claimed there is less genetic diversity among the entire human population than there is among a:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a Swedish DNA study reveal about the origins of modern man?
2. How long do human cells live?
3. How many elements occur naturally on Earth? How many are central to life?
4. What does the author say about bacteria and humans, particularly their interaction?
5. What does the author say about oxygen and the highest elevations people can live at?
6. How are traits determined genetically?
7. What does Bryson caution regarding extinction?
8. Describe what happened when the KT meteor crashed on Earth, killing off the dinosaurs.
9. Describe the fossilized traces of microbes found in Greenland.
10. Describe the layer of atmosphere called the troposphere.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)