|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to James Ussher, an Archbishop of the Church of Ireland who was alive in the 1600s, Earth had been created:
(a) On January 1, 10,000 B.C.
(b) In an instant.
(c) Millions of years ago.
(d) On October 23, 4004 B.C.
2. Which of the following is not part of an atom?
3. Astronomer Edmond Halley approached mathematician Sir Isaac Newton to get his help figuring out why planets:
(a) Orbit the sun in ellipses.
(b) Vary in size.
(c) Are round.
(d) Spin on their axes.
4. While the Compte de Buffon was spouting his theories of the new world, what was Frenchman Georges Cuvier doing?
(a) Cataloging edible plant species found in the New World.
(b) Writing the first ever description of the enormous mastodon, a new world discovery.
(c) Studying the archeology of the Incas, Mayans, and Aztecs.
(d) Living among indigenous people of the New World and writing down their languages.
5. In a span of just 20 years, the number of known moons in the solar system grew from:
(a) 30 to more than 90.
(b) 10 to more than 25.
(c) 12 to more than 300.
(d) 60 to more than 500.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Big Bang Theory first proposed?
2. Which of the following is NOT a quark "flavor?"
3. Approximately how many miles are there from Earth's surface to its core?
4. According to the Caltech physicist Richard Feynman, the most important discovery ever made is what?
5. What is the average distance between asteroids found in the inner solar system between Mars and Jupiter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the protons, neutrons, and electrons of an atom.
2. Describe the three basic layers of Earth, namely, the crust, mantle, and core.
3. Describe inner solar system asteroids.
4. Explain how inventor and engineer, Thomas Midley, Jr., solved some problems but created enormous safety and environmental issues by adding lead to gasoline and by inventing chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).
5. Summarize what the author says about why it took so long to discover that Pluto has a moon.
6. Why is the term "dinosaurian" a misnomer?
7. What happened when Max Planck was advised to study math instead of physics?
8. Where do earthquakes occur?
9. Describe what happened when astronomer Edmond Halley asked Sir Isaac Newton for mathematical help.
10. Describe what happened after the last supervolcano erupted on Earth. When did this happen?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)