|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the Big Bang Theory first proposed?
2. In 1971, Mike Voorhies discovered an amazing fossil bed in Nebraska full of skeletons of prehistoric animals killed 12 millions years ago. How did they die?
(a) Drowning in a massive flood.
(b) Frozen in a freak snowstorm.
(c) Infected by deadly bacteria.
(d) Inhaling ash spewed by a volcano.
3. In 2003, NASA came up with an estimated age of the universe. What was it?
(a) 103.5 million years.
(b) 731 trillion years.
(c) 13.7 billion years.
(d) 35 million years.
4. Today, scientists know that radiation in high doses is:
5. The Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico is thought to be the site of what?
(a) Asteroid impact that brought on the extinction of dinosaurs.
(b) Landfall of the largest hurricane in the past thousand years.
(c) Most advanced ancient telescope ever developed.
(d) First legitimate UFO landing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What massive bone belonging to a dinosaur was found in New Jersey in 1789?
2. James Hutton believed that the natural forces forming the geology of Earth are:
3. The strongest earthquake ever recorded was measured off the coast of Chile in 1960. What did it measure on the Richter scale?
4. Which of the following is not a layer of Earth?
5. Tired of climbing hills to study clouds, C. T. R. Wilson invented what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the three basic layers of Earth, namely, the crust, mantle, and core.
2. Describe some of the theories regarding what might have caused the Big Bang.
3. What happened when Max Planck was advised to study math instead of physics?
4. Who was Clair Patterson? Describe Clair Patterson's campaign against lead contamination.
5. Describe what happened when astronomer Edmond Halley asked Sir Isaac Newton for mathematical help.
6. How did the English scientist Henry Cavendish determine the weight of Earth?
7. Explain Albert Einstein's theory of space curvature using a tennis ball and an ant.
8. Describe what happens in a supernova.
9. How does the Superstring Theory explain quarks?
10. Why is the term "dinosaurian" a misnomer?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)