|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the current estimate of the number of species that have lived on Earth since the beginning of life on our planet?
(a) 27 million.
(b) 32 trillion.
(c) 30 billion.
(d) 421 thousand.
2. Anders Celsius, who designed the Celsius thermometer, was an:
3. Scientist Jean de Charpentier was a specialist on what?
4. The author states that one scientist claimed there is less genetic diversity among the entire human population than there is among a:
(a) Clan of chimpanzees.
(b) School of fish.
(c) Group of giraffes.
(d) Cluster of bacteria.
5. What must amino acids do to become protein?
6. Somewhere between three and two million years ago, how many hominid species co-existed before vanishing abruptly?
7. According to Bryson, what percentage of all animal and plant life is yet to be discovered?
8. Most human traits, including eye color, are determined by:
(a) The mother's genes.
(b) Groups of genes.
(c) The father's genes.
(d) A single gene.
9. What helped scientists start accepting the idea of ice ages?
(a) A scientific evaluation of changing weather patterns.
(b) A scientific expedition to Greenland.
(c) An analysis of Siberian winters.
(d) An exploration of Antarctica.
10. The troposphere is the layer of atmosphere:
(a) Farthest away.
(b) Closest to the ground.
(c) That is coldest.
(d) Just above the highest clouds.
11. Compared to at sea level, oxygen at a few thousand feet above sea level is:
(a) More plentiful.
12. What percentage of a person's genes are shared with all other humans?
13. In Chapter 23, the author discusses the battles that go on in the plant world regarding:
(a) Using plants for medicinal purposes.
(b) What to name plants.
(c) Funding for plant research.
(d) Who owns plant patents.
14. The first hand axe was shaped with a stone how many years ago?
(a) 9.8 million.
(b) 320 thousand.
(c) 1.5 million.
(d) 10 thousand.
15. What are eukarya?
(a) Salt-tolerant single-celled organisms.
(b) Carbon-trapping rocks.
(c) Organisms with nucleated cells.
(d) Bacteria that live on clouds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many elements occur naturally on Earth?
2. Humans share 98.4 percent of their DNA with:
3. The dodo was a:
4. The author states that extinction seems to be:
5. The early Cambrian period, or the Cambrian explosion, refers to a time how long ago?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)