|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did humans become dispersed across the planet?
(a) Through continental drift.
(b) Nobody knows for sure.
(c) Using canoes.
(d) Through a giant flood.
2. The Burgess Shale Formation, containing tens of thousands of fossils of soft-bodied creatures preserved by a mudslide, was found where?
3. If Earth did not have an atmosphere, it would be what?
(a) Boiling hot.
(d) Extremely windy.
4. The author mentions the case of bacteria surviving for two years in a sealed camera lens where?
(a) Under the sea.
(b) Moon's surface.
(c) Atop Mount Everest.
(d) In an underground cave.
5. According to Bryson, what percentage of all animal and plant life is yet to be discovered?
6. What percentage of a person's genes are shared with all other humans?
7. Alan Thorne's multiregional hypothesis asserts that modern man evolved from:
(a) Four primary regions in northern Asia.
(b) Ongoing movement between cultures and regions.
(c) Three primary regions in Africa.
(d) Seven families in seven regions across the globe.
8. Scientists assumed stromatolites were extinct until they were discovered where in 1961?
9. What is a biped?
(a) A large bone found in legs of mammals.
(b) A tendon connecting the leg to the pelvis.
(c) A creature that walks on two legs.
(d) A specific nerve found in the upper leg.
10. Bacteria take nitrogen from the air and form it into what?
(a) Amino acids.
(d) Nitric oxide.
11. What did Carl Linnaeus bring order to through his method of classification?
(a) Naming features of the moon.
(b) The plant world.
(c) Naming bodies of water.
(d) The bacterial world.
12. Before Charles Darwin wrote his famous book about natural selection, he spent eight years writing about what?
(c) Grass types.
13. Approximately how many bacteria live on a square centimeter of human skin?
14. Most life on Earth is based on what element?
15. When entomologist Terry Erwin collected insect samples from 19 rain forest trees, how many different varieties of beetles did he find?
Short Answer Questions
1. Species appear to exist, on average, how long?
2. What was the HMS Beagle, and how was it related to Charles Darwin?
3. In Chapter 30, the author notes that, in the past, some larger species became extinct because:
4. What is the name of the Navy-funded mini submarine often used in undersea explorations?
5. By volume, how much of the Earth's habitable space is covered by water?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)