|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 6, Chapter 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Charles Darwin publish his famous book on natural selection called "On The Origin Of Species"?
2. The early Cambrian period, or the Cambrian explosion, refers to a time how long ago?
(a) 998 million years.
(b) 7 million years.
(c) 39 million years.
(d) 540 million years.
3. What is the current estimate of the number of species that have lived on Earth since the beginning of life on our planet?
(a) 27 million.
(b) 421 thousand.
(c) 30 billion.
(d) 32 trillion.
4. When was Pluto discovered?
5. With scientists having found so many dinosaur bones by the dawn of the twentieth century, what did they conclude about the age of Earth?
(a) Nobody will ever figure out its age.
(b) It is no older than 5 million years.
(c) It has to be much older than 20 million years.
(d) It is hundreds of billions of years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. When oceanographer Jacques Piccard and a U.S. Navy sailor descended more than 35,000 feet to the deepest part of the world's oceans, what happened?
2. The fact that Pluto has a moon was not discovered until:
3. How quickly can bacteria create a new generation?
4. About how many stars are visible to the naked eye from Earth?
5. How do today's professional astronomers search for supernovae?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)