|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1903, who won the Nobel Prize in physics for discovering radioactivity?
(a) Marie Curie and Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen.
(b) René Just Haüy and Jean Becquerel.
(c) Louise Désirée Lorieux, Jean Becquerel, and Henri Becquerel.
(d) Marie Curie, Pierre Curie, and Henri Becquerel.
2. Many scientists suspect that Pluto is just a comet of the:
(a) Kuiper Belt.
(b) Orion Belt.
(c) Solar Belt.
(d) Neptunian Belt.
3. When French physicist Henri Becquerel accidentally left a packet of uranium salts on a photographic plate, what happened?
(a) The salt crystals melted into the plate.
(b) The plate rusted.
(c) The plate became magnetic.
(d) An emission from the salts ruined the plate.
4. James Hutton was a geologist who wondered why:
(a) Seashell fossils are found on mountaintops.
(b) Polar ice caps do not melt.
(c) There are no polar bears in Antarctica.
(d) The Great Barrier Reef is off the coast of Australia.
5. About how many stars can be seen from Earth using a two-inch telescope?
(d) 3 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Pluto discovered?
2. Richard Owen coined the term paleontology as the study of prehistoric life forms and called the giant animals dinosaurian, meaning:
3. What campaign did geologist Clair Patterson take on?
4. What organization opposed geologist Clair Patterson and his campaign?
5. Which famous scientist was once an unknown patent clerk in Switzerland?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)