|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a supernova?
(a) A dying star.
(b) A young, emerging star.
(c) A white dwarf.
(d) A red giant.
2. According to Einstein's theories, what is the nature of space?
(a) It is a straight line.
(b) It curves.
(c) It is a flat plane.
(d) It has missing points.
3. Had the universe formed just slightly differently:
(a) Earth would have seven moons.
(b) Planets would be flat instead of round.
(c) Our solar system would have ten times more planets.
(d) Mankind would not exist.
4. What are so small that the dot on the letter "i" could hold 5 billion of them?
5. Fred Hoyle came up with the term "Big Bang" while trying to:
(a) Disprove the theory.
(b) Prove the theory.
(c) Show how life evolved on Earth.
(d) Simplify how the universe came to exist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Halley believed that once scientists figured out the distance from the sun to the Earth, they could then calculate what?
2. The British astronomer Martin Rees hypothesizes that there could be an infinite number of what?
3. How do today's professional astronomers search for supernovae?
4. In the 1700s, people were finding holes in theories. For example, if the thoughts on erosion were completely correct, then:
5. What components were central to the apparatus that Henry Cavendish used to determine the density of Earth?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)