|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James Hutton was a geologist who wondered why:
(a) There are no polar bears in Antarctica.
(b) Seashell fossils are found on mountaintops.
(c) Polar ice caps do not melt.
(d) The Great Barrier Reef is off the coast of Australia.
2. Which of the following is not a major geological era?
3. Had the universe formed just slightly differently:
(a) Earth would have seven moons.
(b) Planets would be flat instead of round.
(c) Mankind would not exist.
(d) Our solar system would have ten times more planets.
4. What components were central to the apparatus that Henry Cavendish used to determine the density of Earth?
(a) A burner, gases, and switches.
(b) Weights, counter-weights, and pendulums.
(c) Chutes and slides.
(d) Boiling water, a tub, and a barrel.
5. Sir Isaac Newton wrote "Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy," which explains his laws of what?
(b) Electromagnetic interference.
(c) Quantum physics.
(d) Motion and gravity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are so small that the dot on the letter "i" could hold 5 billion of them?
2. The fact that Pluto has a moon was not discovered until:
3. According to James Ussher, an Archbishop of the Church of Ireland who was alive in the 1600s, Earth had been created:
4. According to the Reverend William Buckland, the biblical reference to "in the beginning" with regards to the formation of Earth could refer to:
5. Fred Hoyle came up with the term "Big Bang" while trying to:
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)