|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5, Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When radiation was first discovered, people thought it must have:
(a) An extraterrestrial origin.
(b) Healthful properties.
(c) Been caused by thunderstorms.
(d) High toxicity.
2. The KT meteor caused dinosaurs to become extinct but paved the way for what to become the new dominant species?
3. How far away is Proxima Centauri from Earth?
(a) 100 million times farther than our moon.
(b) 390 million times farther than Venus.
(c) 700 million times farther than Mars.
(d) 120 million times farther than our sun.
4. Before Charles Darwin wrote his famous book about natural selection, he spent eight years writing about what?
(a) Grass types.
5. Halley believed that once scientists figured out the distance from the sun to the Earth, they could then calculate what?
(a) Distances to distant stars.
(b) Weight of Earth.
(c) Weight of the sun.
(d) Distances to other planets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Arranged side by side, how many atoms can fit across the width of a typical human hair?
2. What is an extremophile?
3. Through the examples provided about Thomas Midgley's inventions, what is the author trying to say about science?
4. Anders Celsius, who designed the Celsius thermometer, was an:
5. Invented in the 1930s, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) have proven to be damaging to:
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)