|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5,Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When entomologist Terry Erwin collected insect samples from 19 rain forest trees, how many different varieties of beetles did he find?
2. What did Carl Linnaeus bring order to through his method of classification?
(a) Naming bodies of water.
(b) The bacterial world.
(c) Naming features of the moon.
(d) The plant world.
3. Approximately how many okapi live in the rain forests of Zaire?
4. When did the last supervolcano erupt on Earth?
(a) 9,000 years ago.
(b) 1,100 years ago.
(c) 74,000 years ago.
(d) 23,000 years ago.
5. The first eruption of Yellowstone took place how many years ago?
(a) 74 thousand.
(b) 16.5 million.
(c) 630 thousand.
(d) 19.7 billion.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bryson, what percentage of all animal and plant life is yet to be discovered?
2. In 1875, why was Max Planck advised against studying physics and urged to study math instead?
3. Vesto Slipher's work at the Lowell Observatory in Arizona led him to discover that distant stars are moving away from us, with the farthest stars moving the fastest, suggesting that the universe is:
4. Which famous scientist was once an unknown patent clerk in Switzerland?
5. What is an extremophile?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)