|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5,Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Carl Linnaeus develop that is still in wide use today?
(a) Method to unravel DNA codes.
(b) Way to differentiate closely related bacteria.
(c) System for naming lunar features.
(d) Binomial system of genus and species.
2. The first eruption of Yellowstone took place how many years ago?
(a) 74 thousand.
(b) 16.5 million.
(c) 630 thousand.
(d) 19.7 billion.
3. What did Carl Linnaeus bring order to through his method of classification?
(a) Naming bodies of water.
(b) Naming features of the moon.
(c) The bacterial world.
(d) The plant world.
4. In the 1960s, what did Bob Christiansen realize about Yellowstone National Park after observing NASA-supplied images?
(a) The park was carved by moving glaciers.
(b) The park holds thousands of volcanoes.
(c) Most of the park was created by a massive earthquake.
(d) Practically the whole park is a volcano.
5. When did the last supervolcano erupt on Earth?
(a) 9,000 years ago.
(b) 74,000 years ago.
(c) 23,000 years ago.
(d) 1,100 years ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, the author discusses the battles that go on in the plant world regarding:
2. In 1875, why was Max Planck advised against studying physics and urged to study math instead?
3. Scientists are aware of at least how many galaxies in the universe?
4. Max Planck ignored those who urged him to avoid physics and ended up doing groundbreaking work on:
5. What followed the last supervolcanic eruption on Earth in the region that is now northern Sumatra?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)