|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5,Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an extremophile?
(a) A researcher who explores extremely isolated regions.
(b) A scientist who studies climate extremes.
(c) An extremely large living organism.
(d) An organism adapted to living in extreme conditions.
2. Scientists are aware of at least how many galaxies in the universe?
(a) 90 trillion.
(b) 20 million.
(c) 140 billion.
(d) 110 thousand.
3. In Chapter 23, the author discusses the battles that go on in the plant world regarding:
(a) Who owns plant patents.
(b) Using plants for medicinal purposes.
(c) Funding for plant research.
(d) What to name plants.
4. Which famous scientist was once an unknown patent clerk in Switzerland?
(a) Joseph Lister.
(b) Thomas Edison.
(c) Albert Einstein.
(d) Charles Darwin.
5. Who suggested that mass and energy are actually the same thing?
(a) Thomas Edison.
(b) Charles Darwin.
(c) Joseph Lister.
(d) Albert Einstein.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the last supervolcano erupt on Earth?
2. What did Carl Linnaeus bring order to through his method of classification?
3. Max Planck ignored those who urged him to avoid physics and ended up doing groundbreaking work on:
4. What followed the last supervolcanic eruption on Earth in the region that is now northern Sumatra?
5. When entomologist Terry Erwin collected insect samples from 19 rain forest trees, how many different varieties of beetles did he find?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)