|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the new girl hired by Martha to help in the house?
2. Where did Martha stay after the murders?
3. How is Clara Barton related to Martha?
4. Who abridged Martha's diary for a history of Augusta?
5. Where is Ephraim jailed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
2. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
3. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
4. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
5. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
6. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
7. What were the circumstances preceding Ephraim's arrest?
8. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
9. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
10. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the evolution of Martha and Eprhraim's marriage. Was the relationship always good? What was their communication style? Was there mutual respect and support?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the methods by which Martha would obtain her medicines. How do those methods compare to alternative medicines today?
Essay Topic 3
Name and describe the two primary reasons Martha's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)