|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many houses does Jonathan rent out on his property?
2. What is Martha's focus during this time period?
3. What type of seeds did the merchants sell?
4. Who is the new girl hired by Martha to help in the house?
5. The confrontation between Ephraim and the answer to #115 eventually led to _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
2. How did Ephraim get embroiled in events that would lead to the Malta War of 1809?
3. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
4. Explain the antagonistic relationship between Martha and Dr. Cony.
5. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
6. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
7. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
8. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
9. What was the state of Martha's mental and physical health now that she is 70-years-old?
10. Name the two reasons Martha's diary is so special.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha's diary reveals some surprising information regarding courtship and marriage which is contrary to popular beliefs. What was the true nature of courtship and marriage in 18th century New England?
Essay Topic 2
Religious intolerance is a big part of life in 18th century New England. How is this information revealed through Martha's diary entries? What is known about Martha's position on religion and intolerant people?
Essay Topic 3
In addition to details of each birth, explain what other information Martha included in her diary. Why do you think she veered off to include items not directly related to midwifery?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)