|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The confrontation between Ephraim and the answer to #115 eventually led to _______________________.
2. What was the profession of John Davis Jr.'s father?
3. Where does Ephraim spend his 80th birthday?
4. What is Martha's physical state?
5. Who is ambushing survey crews?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
2. How did Martha's complete diary find its way to being published in its entirety?
3. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
4. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
5. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
6. Name the two reasons Martha's diary is so special.
7. What were the circumstances preceding Ephraim's arrest?
8. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
9. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
10. Explain the state of Martha's health in 1796?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha seems to be a religious person with a strong belief in God, yet she does not attend church regularly. How do you account for Martha's behavior? How was the behavior viewed within the community?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the evolution of Martha and Eprhraim's marriage. Was the relationship always good? What was their communication style? Was there mutual respect and support?
Essay Topic 3
Religious intolerance is a big part of life in 18th century New England. How is this information revealed through Martha's diary entries? What is known about Martha's position on religion and intolerant people?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)