|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ephraim in January of 1796?
2. What is the other reason that makes Martha's diary to special?
3. What phrase does Martha use to indicate that her house was fighting with her?
4. Why is Ephraim arrested?
5. Who is Paul Chadwick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
2. How did Martha's complete diary find its way to being published in its entirety?
3. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
4. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
5. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
6. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
7. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
8. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
9. Name the two reasons Martha's diary is so special.
10. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the evolution of Martha and Eprhraim's marriage. Was the relationship always good? What was their communication style? Was there mutual respect and support?
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of her life, it is clear Martha begrudged the fact that she was old and had to give up her independence and her work. In what ways did Martha persevere to do the best she could for her family and her community until she died?
Essay Topic 3
What positions other than midwife did Martha hold in the community? What was her reputation? Did people respect her? Revere her? Explain.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)