|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Clara Barton?
2. What is Ephraim's attitude about his surveying work?
3. Why was Ephraim released during the days?
4. What is the result of a disagreement between France and England?
5. How many of his children did the answer to #148 kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name the two reasons Martha's diary is so special.
2. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
3. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
4. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
5. How did Martha's complete diary find its way to being published in its entirety?
6. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
7. Describe the terms of Ephraim's incarceration.
8. What was the state of Martha's mental and physical health now that she is 70-years-old?
9. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
10. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the midwife in 18th century colonial America. What made Martha so successful in this role?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the methods by which Martha would obtain her medicines. How do those methods compare to alternative medicines today?
Essay Topic 3
Name and describe the two primary reasons Martha's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)