|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Martha become increasingly dependent on Jonathan?
2. Who was Clara Barton?
3. What is Ephraim's attitude about his surveying work?
4. In what field does Martha's family remain?
5. When did midwives stop attending autopsies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
2. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
3. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
4. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
5. Describe the terms of Ephraim's incarceration.
6. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
7. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
8. Name the two reasons Martha's diary is so special.
9. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
10. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to details of each birth, explain what other information Martha included in her diary. Why do you think she veered off to include items not directly related to midwifery?
Essay Topic 2
Martha's diary reveals some surprising information regarding courtship and marriage which is contrary to popular beliefs. What was the true nature of courtship and marriage in 18th century New England?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Martha's diary had been overlooked for so many years. What value does it have for historians and students today?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)