|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which physician is threatened by Martha's practice?
2. Who does Mary give the diary pages to?
3. The confrontation between Ephraim and the answer to #115 eventually led to _______________________.
4. What is Martha's biggest problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
5. Who stays with Martha and Ephraim each night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
2. Name the two reasons Martha's diary is so special.
3. How did Ephraim get embroiled in events that would lead to the Malta War of 1809?
4. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
5. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
6. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
7. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
8. What was the state of Martha's mental and physical health now that she is 70-years-old?
9. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
10. Describe the terms of Ephraim's incarceration.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha's diary reveals some surprising information regarding courtship and marriage which is contrary to popular beliefs. What was the true nature of courtship and marriage in 18th century New England?
Essay Topic 2
Martha seems to be a religious person with a strong belief in God, yet she does not attend church regularly. How do you account for Martha's behavior? How was the behavior viewed within the community?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the metaphor of society and the community being similar to a blue-checked tablecloth. What does the pattern on the cloth represent? Why was a cloth chosen to explain the scenario?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)