|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the new girl hired by Martha to help in the house?
2. Martha's midwife practice increases due to the death of which midwife?
3. What is one reason that Martha's diary is so special?
4. How were the pages of Martha's diary stored?
5. Who moves into Martha's house with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ephraim get embroiled in events that would lead to the Malta War of 1809?
2. How did Martha's complete diary find its way to being published in its entirety?
3. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
4. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
5. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
6. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
7. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
8. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
9. Explain the state of Martha's health in 1796?
10. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of the relationship of doctors and midwives throughout Martha's lifetime. How did it change Martha's role as a midwife?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the metaphor of society and the community being similar to a blue-checked tablecloth. What does the pattern on the cloth represent? Why was a cloth chosen to explain the scenario?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Martha's husband, Ephraim. What is known about him from Martha's entries? What were his professions?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)