|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martha's main concern at this time?
2. What is Ephraim's attitude about his surveying work?
3. What is Martha's physical state?
4. How many of his children did the answer to #148 kill?
5. How many autopsies did Martha attend in her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
2. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
3. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
4. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
5. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
6. Explain the state of Martha's health in 1796?
7. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
8. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
9. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
10. How did Martha's complete diary find its way to being published in its entirety?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the evolution of Martha and Eprhraim's marriage. Was the relationship always good? What was their communication style? Was there mutual respect and support?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Martha's diary had been overlooked for so many years. What value does it have for historians and students today?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Martha's role in the male-dominated society. How is this dominance reflected in Martha's entries?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)