|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of seeds did the merchants sell?
2. How were the pages of Martha's diary stored?
3. In what field does Martha's family remain?
4. Who is ambushing survey crews?
5. How is Clara Barton related to Martha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
2. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
3. How did Ephraim get embroiled in events that would lead to the Malta War of 1809?
4. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
5. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
6. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
7. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
8. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
9. Explain the state of Martha's health in 1796?
10. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of the relationship of doctors and midwives throughout Martha's lifetime. How did it change Martha's role as a midwife?
Essay Topic 2
Martha's diary reveals some surprising information regarding courtship and marriage which is contrary to popular beliefs. What was the true nature of courtship and marriage in 18th century New England?
Essay Topic 3
Religious intolerance is a big part of life in 18th century New England. How is this information revealed through Martha's diary entries? What is known about Martha's position on religion and intolerant people?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)