|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does John Davis Jr. die?
2. How long does it take the answer to #146 to clear the land and build a house for his family?
3. How many autopsies did Martha attend in her life?
4. What is one reason that Martha's diary is so special?
5. Why did the author publish Martha's diary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
2. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
3. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
4. Explain the antagonistic relationship between Martha and Dr. Cony.
5. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
6. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
7. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
8. How did Martha's complete diary find its way to being published in its entirety?
9. What was the state of Martha's mental and physical health now that she is 70-years-old?
10. What were the circumstances preceding Ephraim's arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the midwife in 18th century colonial America. What made Martha so successful in this role?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the methods by which Martha would obtain her medicines. How do those methods compare to alternative medicines today?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the evolution of Martha and Eprhraim's marriage. Was the relationship always good? What was their communication style? Was there mutual respect and support?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)