|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mary Hobart?
2. Who committed a murder/suicide on July 9, 1806?
3. What profession did some of the ousted female healers choose?
4. What did Ephraim consider his imprisonment?
5. What is the name of the man who came for the two remaining children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the antagonistic relationship between Martha and Dr. Cony.
2. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
3. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
4. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
5. How did Ephraim get embroiled in events that would lead to the Malta War of 1809?
6. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
7. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
8. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
9. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
10. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in as much detail as possible the process Martha would go through to deliver a baby--from being notified by the father of the imminent birth to leaving the new mother and child with their family.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process of making cloth in Martha's business. Begin with growing and harvesting the flax all the way to taking the cloth to market.
Essay Topic 3
Martha seems to be a religious person with a strong belief in God, yet she does not attend church regularly. How do you account for Martha's behavior? How was the behavior viewed within the community?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)