|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Clara Barton found?
2. What is Ephraim's attitude about his surveying work?
3. How many of the children of the answer to #148 escaped?
4. Why did the author publish Martha's diary?
5. On whom does Martha rely heavily during this period?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
2. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
3. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
4. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
5. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
6. Explain the state of Martha's health in 1796?
7. Describe the terms of Ephraim's incarceration.
8. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
9. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
10. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religious intolerance is a big part of life in 18th century New England. How is this information revealed through Martha's diary entries? What is known about Martha's position on religion and intolerant people?
Essay Topic 2
In addition to details of each birth, explain what other information Martha included in her diary. Why do you think she veered off to include items not directly related to midwifery?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the midwife in 18th century colonial America. What made Martha so successful in this role?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)