|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what field does Martha's family remain?
2. Martha's midwife practice increases due to the death of which midwife?
3. Who is the new girl hired by Martha to help in the house?
4. What profession did some of the ousted female healers choose?
5. Who abridged Martha's diary for a history of Augusta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the antagonistic relationship between Martha and Dr. Cony.
2. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
3. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
4. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
5. What were the circumstances preceding Ephraim's arrest?
6. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
7. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
8. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
9. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
10. How did Martha's complete diary find its way to being published in its entirety?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of the relationship of doctors and midwives throughout Martha's lifetime. How did it change Martha's role as a midwife?
Essay Topic 2
Name and describe the two primary reasons Martha's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history.
Essay Topic 3
In addition to her own daughters, Martha had several young women live and learn in her household over the years. Explain what skills Martha would impart and why she would have been a good teacher in domestic arts.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)