|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the profession of John Davis Jr.'s father?
2. What is Martha's biggest problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
3. Which physician is threatened by Martha's practice?
4. What is Ephraim's attitude about his surveying work?
5. What is the result of a disagreement between France and England?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
2. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
3. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
4. What was the state of Martha's mental and physical health now that she is 70-years-old?
5. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
6. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
7. How did Ephraim get embroiled in events that would lead to the Malta War of 1809?
8. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
9. How did Martha's complete diary find its way to being published in its entirety?
10. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the process of making cloth in Martha's business. Begin with growing and harvesting the flax all the way to taking the cloth to market.
Essay Topic 2
Name and describe the two primary reasons Martha's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the evolution of the relationship of doctors and midwives throughout Martha's lifetime. How did it change Martha's role as a midwife?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)