|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Martha's time it was a common practice for _______________ to attend autopsies.
2. Who does Ephraim encounter who do not give up their land?
3. Who else commits suicide during this period?
4. How were the pages of Martha's diary stored?
5. How old is Martha in the spring of 1804?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the antagonistic relationship between Martha and Dr. Cony.
2. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
3. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
4. How did Ephraim get embroiled in events that would lead to the Malta War of 1809?
5. What were the circumstances preceding Ephraim's arrest?
6. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
7. How did Martha's complete diary find its way to being published in its entirety?
8. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
9. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
10. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the methods by which Martha would obtain her medicines. How do those methods compare to alternative medicines today?
Essay Topic 2
What positions other than midwife did Martha hold in the community? What was her reputation? Did people respect her? Revere her? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Religious intolerance is a big part of life in 18th century New England. How is this information revealed through Martha's diary entries? What is known about Martha's position on religion and intolerant people?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)