|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the answer to #146 to clear the land and build a house for his family?
2. Where was the murderer buried?
3. On whom does Martha rely heavily during this period?
4. Which family member concerns Martha because of a bad temper?
5. How many autopsies did Martha attend in her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
2. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
3. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
4. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
5. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
6. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
7. Name the two reasons Martha's diary is so special.
8. Explain the state of Martha's health in 1796?
9. How did Martha's complete diary find its way to being published in its entirety?
10. How did Ephraim get embroiled in events that would lead to the Malta War of 1809?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in as much detail as possible the process Martha would go through to deliver a baby--from being notified by the father of the imminent birth to leaving the new mother and child with their family.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process of making cloth in Martha's business. Begin with growing and harvesting the flax all the way to taking the cloth to market.
Essay Topic 3
Martha's diary reveals some surprising information regarding courtship and marriage which is contrary to popular beliefs. What was the true nature of courtship and marriage in 18th century New England?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)