|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who headed up the band of white Indians?
2. Martha's midwife practice increases due to the death of which midwife?
3. What does Mary Hobart have in common with Martha?
4. Why did the author publish Martha's diary?
5. Where do Martha and Ephraim build a house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
2. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
3. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
4. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
5. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
6. Describe the terms of Ephraim's incarceration.
7. What were the circumstances preceding Ephraim's arrest?
8. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
9. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
10. Explain the state of Martha's health in 1796?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha's diary reveals some surprising information regarding courtship and marriage which is contrary to popular beliefs. What was the true nature of courtship and marriage in 18th century New England?
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of her life, it is clear Martha begrudged the fact that she was old and had to give up her independence and her work. In what ways did Martha persevere to do the best she could for her family and her community until she died?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Martha's husband, Ephraim. What is known about him from Martha's entries? What were his professions?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)