|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the mother of John Davis Jr.?
2. What did away with the community female healers?
3. Which physician is threatened by Martha's practice?
4. How is Clara Barton related to Martha?
5. How does the year 1809 begin for Martha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
2. Name the two reasons Martha's diary is so special.
3. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
4. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
5. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
6. Explain the state of Martha's health in 1796?
7. Describe the terms of Ephraim's incarceration.
8. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
9. Explain the antagonistic relationship between Martha and Dr. Cony.
10. What were the circumstances preceding Ephraim's arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of the relationship of doctors and midwives throughout Martha's lifetime. How did it change Martha's role as a midwife?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of the midwife in 18th century colonial America. What made Martha so successful in this role?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the evolution of Martha and Eprhraim's marriage. Was the relationship always good? What was their communication style? Was there mutual respect and support?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)