|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Martha in the spring of 1804?
2. Who does Mary give the diary pages to?
3. What is the result of a disagreement between France and England?
4. The confrontation between Ephraim and the answer to #115 eventually led to _______________________.
5. What did Clara Barton found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
2. Explain the state of Martha's health in 1796?
3. What were the circumstances preceding Ephraim's arrest?
4. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
5. What was the state of Martha's mental and physical health now that she is 70-years-old?
6. Explain the antagonistic relationship between Martha and Dr. Cony.
7. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
8. Name the two reasons Martha's diary is so special.
9. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
10. How did Ephraim get embroiled in events that would lead to the Malta War of 1809?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in as much detail as possible the process Martha would go through to deliver a baby--from being notified by the father of the imminent birth to leaving the new mother and child with their family.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the evolution of the relationship of doctors and midwives throughout Martha's lifetime. How did it change Martha's role as a midwife?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Martha's diary had been overlooked for so many years. What value does it have for historians and students today?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)