|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Martha stay after the murders?
2. The confrontation between Ephraim and the answer to #115 eventually led to _______________________.
3. What is one reason that Martha's diary is so special?
4. At what job is Ephraim working when he is arrested?
5. Young midwives are __________________ by the doctors in the area.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the state of Martha's mental and physical health now that she is 70-years-old?
2. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
3. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
4. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
5. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
6. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
7. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
8. How did Ephraim get embroiled in events that would lead to the Malta War of 1809?
9. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
10. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the process of making cloth in Martha's business. Begin with growing and harvesting the flax all the way to taking the cloth to market.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Martha's husband, Ephraim. What is known about him from Martha's entries? What were his professions?
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of her life, it is clear Martha begrudged the fact that she was old and had to give up her independence and her work. In what ways did Martha persevere to do the best she could for her family and her community until she died?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)