|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term did Martha use for a woman in labor?
2. What are Mr. Densmore's occupations?
3. Were marriages arranged in the 18th century?
4. Whose illegitimate child does Martha deliver in October of 1791?
5. What terms does Martha very seldom use for women in her diary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
2. Explain how Martha's weaving business allowed for the overlapping of male and female roles in the Ballard household.
3. What is the occupation of Martha's husband, Ephraim?
4. Explain the metaphor of the community as a blue-checked cloth.
5. Explain how courtship and marriage during Martha's life were very different from popular perception of the time period.
6. What was the nature of the relationship between midwives and physicians during Martha's lifetime?
7. How did Martha get started as a midwife in Hallowell?
8. How does Martha's diary show the male-dominated society in which she lived?
9. What were the typical courting practices in late 18th century America?
10. How was Reverend Foster's wife, Rebecca, received in Hallowell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the midwife in 18th century colonial America. What made Martha so successful in this role?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Martha's role in the male-dominated society. How is this dominance reflected in Martha's entries?
Essay Topic 3
Sexual relations between unmarried people was considered a crime and labeled "fornication" in 18th century New England yet by all accounts it was widely practiced. Explain the ramifications for those who engaged in unmarried sex and were discovered.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)