|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When could a man be charged with fornication?
2. Martha's diary entries did not follow the same tone as other midwives from ________________.
3. What is the perception of midwives among women?
4. Many men during Martha's lifetime thought that education for a woman was ________________.
5. Were marriages arranged in the 18th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Martha get started as a midwife in Hallowell?
2. How did Martha procure her medicines and what treatments did she advocate?
3. Explain how courtship and marriage during Martha's life were very different from popular perception of the time period.
4. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
5. Explain why the summer of 1787 was very harrowing for the Ballard family.
6. What details about each birth did Martha choose to exclude from her diary?
7. Although premarital sex was acknowledged as a common practice, it was also illegal. Explain the repercussions for both people involved.
8. What was the outcome of the Rebecca Foster rape case?
9. How many doctors and midwives were available in the Hallowell area at the time?
10. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Martha's role in the male-dominated society. How is this dominance reflected in Martha's entries?
Essay Topic 2
Martha's diary reveals some surprising information regarding courtship and marriage which is contrary to popular beliefs. What was the true nature of courtship and marriage in 18th century New England?
Essay Topic 3
Religious intolerance is a big part of life in 18th century New England. How is this information revealed through Martha's diary entries? What is known about Martha's position on religion and intolerant people?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)