|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the man accused of raping Rebecca?
2. Where did Martha deep much of her accounting?
3. What terms does Martha very seldom use for women in her diary?
4. What played an important role in selecting a marriage partner?
5. Because of Dr. Page's training, Martha thinks he is _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In general, how was the business in the community divided between men and women?
2. How was Reverend Foster's wife, Rebecca, received in Hallowell?
3. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
4. What were the circumstances surrounding the rape of Rebecca Foster?
5. What is so amazing about Martha's diary and why do some people speculate that she began writing it?
6. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
7. What were the circumstances surrounding the typical wedding?
8. What were the typical courting practices in late 18th century America?
9. Explain why the summer of 1787 was very harrowing for the Ballard family.
10. How much detail did Martha include in her diary about each birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and describe the two primary reasons Martha's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history.
Essay Topic 2
Martha seems to be a religious person with a strong belief in God, yet she does not attend church regularly. How do you account for Martha's behavior? How was the behavior viewed within the community?
Essay Topic 3
Religious intolerance is a big part of life in 18th century New England. How is this information revealed through Martha's diary entries? What is known about Martha's position on religion and intolerant people?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)