|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Martha always sure to include when she mentioned a man in her diary?
2. To what state do Martha and Ephraim move with their family?
3. Why does Martha think Dr. Page will not be successful?
4. How many children does Martha deliver in her lifetime?
5. Martha began to keep a diary because ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Although premarital sex was acknowledged as a common practice, it was also illegal. Explain the repercussions for both people involved.
2. During what years did Martha keep her diary?
3. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
4. Explain the community's position on premarital sex and how Martha's own family was embroiled in a situation regarding premarital sex.
5. How did Martha procure her medicines and what treatments did she advocate?
6. What is the occupation of Martha's husband, Ephraim?
7. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
8. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
9. Explain the contentious relationship between Reverend Foster and Henry Sewall.
10. How did Martha get started as a midwife in Hallowell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha seems to be a religious person with a strong belief in God, yet she does not attend church regularly. How do you account for Martha's behavior? How was the behavior viewed within the community?
Essay Topic 2
In addition to her own daughters, Martha had several young women live and learn in her household over the years. Explain what skills Martha would impart and why she would have been a good teacher in domestic arts.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the midwife in 18th century colonial America. What made Martha so successful in this role?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)