|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did young unwed mothers stay?
2. How many people in the Ballard household get married in 1792?
3. With whom does Dolly Ballard apprentice as a dressmaker?
4. Whose illegitimate child does Martha deliver in October of 1791?
5. How many children did Martha have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the nature of the relationship between midwives and physicians during Martha's lifetime?
2. What were the typical courting practices in late 18th century America?
3. How did Martha get started as a midwife in Hallowell?
4. What is so amazing about Martha's diary and why do some people speculate that she began writing it?
5. What were the circumstances surrounding the rape of Rebecca Foster?
6. What is the occupation of Martha's husband, Ephraim?
7. Which of Martha's relatives were married by 1792?
8. Explain the metaphor of the community as a blue-checked cloth.
9. How did people perceive Martha in the community?
10. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What positions other than midwife did Martha hold in the community? What was her reputation? Did people respect her? Revere her? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In addition to details of each birth, explain what other information Martha included in her diary. Why do you think she veered off to include items not directly related to midwifery?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the methods by which Martha would obtain her medicines. How do those methods compare to alternative medicines today?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)