|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What terms does Martha very seldom use for women in her diary?
2. Society during Martha's time was described as a ___________________.
3. What was Ephraim's profession?
4. Which of the following is not something Martha noted in her diary about each birth?
5. In what year does Martha start her diary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
2. How did Martha procure her medicines and what treatments did she advocate?
3. What was the outcome of the Rebecca Foster rape case?
4. What were the circumstances surrounding the rape of Rebecca Foster?
5. How many doctors and midwives were available in the Hallowell area at the time?
6. During what years did Martha keep her diary?
7. Which of Martha's relatives were married by 1792?
8. In general, how was the business in the community divided between men and women?
9. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
10. How did Martha get started as a midwife in Hallowell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Martha's role in the male-dominated society. How is this dominance reflected in Martha's entries?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Martha Ballard's life story beginning with her birth in Massachusetts in 1735. Who was her husband? How many children did she have? What were her primary professions?
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of her life, it is clear Martha begrudged the fact that she was old and had to give up her independence and her work. In what ways did Martha persevere to do the best she could for her family and her community until she died?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)