|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everyone knew that birth was a ______________ process.
2. In what year was Martha Ballard born?
3. Who moves into the Ballard house after their two daughters and niece leave to live with their new husbands?
4. How did Ephraim and Jonathan assist in Martha's weaving business?
5. What does Martha experience for the first time during this period?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the nature of the relationship between midwives and physicians during Martha's lifetime?
2. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
3. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
4. Which of Martha's relatives were married by 1792?
5. Both Ephraim and Martha had businesses to manage. How were their approaches to business different?
6. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
7. How many times did Martha engage a doctor during her midwife practice?
8. What details about each birth did Martha choose to exclude from her diary?
9. Explain how Martha's weaving business allowed for the overlapping of male and female roles in the Ballard household.
10. How did Martha procure her medicines and what treatments did she advocate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of the relationship of doctors and midwives throughout Martha's lifetime. How did it change Martha's role as a midwife?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the evolution of Martha and Eprhraim's marriage. Was the relationship always good? What was their communication style? Was there mutual respect and support?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Martha's role in the male-dominated society. How is this dominance reflected in Martha's entries?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)