|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What business did women handle during Martha's lifetime?
2. Martha's training was _________________________.
3. What was the death rate in Martha's town between the years of 1785 and 1790?
4. For how many years did Martha work as a midwife?
5. Who was expected to provide all the items for the newlyweds' new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances surrounding the rape of Rebecca Foster?
2. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
3. Where did Martha Ballard grow up and when did she marry her husband/
4. How many doctors and midwives were available in the Hallowell area at the time?
5. During what years did Martha keep her diary?
6. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
7. Explain the metaphor of the community as a blue-checked cloth.
8. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
9. What was the nature of the relationship between midwives and physicians during Martha's lifetime?
10. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to details of each birth, explain what other information Martha included in her diary. Why do you think she veered off to include items not directly related to midwifery?
Essay Topic 2
Name and describe the two primary reasons Martha's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history.
Essay Topic 3
Martha's diary reveals some surprising information regarding courtship and marriage which is contrary to popular beliefs. What was the true nature of courtship and marriage in 18th century New England?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)