|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a normal occurrence during courtship?
2. What was Ephraim's profession?
3. With whom does Dolly Ballard apprentice as a dressmaker?
4. Many historians consider Martha's diary to be _____________.
5. Which of the following is not something Martha noted in her diary about each birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many doctors and midwives were available in the Hallowell area at the time?
2. During what years did Martha keep her diary?
3. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
4. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
5. What was the nature of the relationship between midwives and physicians during Martha's lifetime?
6. How was Reverend Foster's wife, Rebecca, received in Hallowell?
7. How did Martha procure her medicines and what treatments did she advocate?
8. How did Martha get started as a midwife in Hallowell?
9. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
10. What did Martha charge for delivering a baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in as much detail as possible the process Martha would go through to deliver a baby--from being notified by the father of the imminent birth to leaving the new mother and child with their family.
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of her life, it is clear Martha begrudged the fact that she was old and had to give up her independence and her work. In what ways did Martha persevere to do the best she could for her family and her community until she died?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Martha's role in the male-dominated society. How is this dominance reflected in Martha's entries?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)