|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Dolly Ballard apprentice as a dressmaker?
2. Which of the following was not one of Martha's professions?
3. Who is Reverend Isaac Foster?
4. Many New England tows were religiously divided between the strict ______________ and the liberals.
5. In what town was Martha Ballard born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Both Ephraim and Martha had businesses to manage. How were their approaches to business different?
2. In general, how was the business in the community divided between men and women?
3. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
4. How much detail did Martha include in her diary about each birth?
5. Where did Martha Ballard grow up and when did she marry her husband/
6. How many doctors and midwives were available in the Hallowell area at the time?
7. What were the circumstances surrounding the typical wedding?
8. What is so amazing about Martha's diary and why do some people speculate that she began writing it?
9. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
10. What was the outcome of the Rebecca Foster rape case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to her own daughters, Martha had several young women live and learn in her household over the years. Explain what skills Martha would impart and why she would have been a good teacher in domestic arts.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Martha's diary had been overlooked for so many years. What value does it have for historians and students today?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Martha's husband, Ephraim. What is known about him from Martha's entries? What were his professions?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)