|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not one of Martha's professions?
2. What was the death rate in Martha's town between the years of 1785 and 1790?
3. What is the perception of midwives among women?
4. Many men during Martha's lifetime thought that education for a woman was ________________.
5. What was a normal occurrence during courtship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
2. How did people perceive Martha in the community?
3. What is the occupation of Martha's husband, Ephraim?
4. What was the nature of the relationship between midwives and physicians during Martha's lifetime?
5. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
6. Where did Martha Ballard grow up and when did she marry her husband/
7. How much detail did Martha include in her diary about each birth?
8. Explain how courtship and marriage during Martha's life were very different from popular perception of the time period.
9. Explain the contentious relationship between Reverend Foster and Henry Sewall.
10. How many times did Martha engage a doctor during her midwife practice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religious intolerance is a big part of life in 18th century New England. How is this information revealed through Martha's diary entries? What is known about Martha's position on religion and intolerant people?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in as much detail as possible the process Martha would go through to deliver a baby--from being notified by the father of the imminent birth to leaving the new mother and child with their family.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Martha's diary had been overlooked for so many years. What value does it have for historians and students today?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)