|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rebecca Foster accuse of raping her?
2. In what year does Martha start her diary?
3. What happened to the man accused of raping Rebecca?
4. What is the state of Martha's accounts at this point?
5. Which of Martha's daughters spun yarn for weaving and trading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Martha's weaving business allowed for the overlapping of male and female roles in the Ballard household.
2. Both Ephraim and Martha had businesses to manage. How were their approaches to business different?
3. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
4. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
5. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
6. How many doctors and midwives were available in the Hallowell area at the time?
7. Explain the community's position on premarital sex and how Martha's own family was embroiled in a situation regarding premarital sex.
8. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
9. What were the typical courting practices in late 18th century America?
10. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toward the end of her life, it is clear Martha begrudged the fact that she was old and had to give up her independence and her work. In what ways did Martha persevere to do the best she could for her family and her community until she died?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the evolution of Martha and Eprhraim's marriage. Was the relationship always good? What was their communication style? Was there mutual respect and support?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the methods by which Martha would obtain her medicines. How do those methods compare to alternative medicines today?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)