|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Reverend Isaac Foster?
2. An unwed mother was required to _______________________.
3. What is Martha's sister's name?
4. When could a man be charged with fornication?
5. What is the perception of midwives among women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the opinion of Reverend Foster by the Calvinists in the town and whose was the principal voice among them?
2. How did people perceive Martha in the community?
3. Explain the metaphor of the community as a blue-checked cloth.
4. Explain why the summer of 1787 was very harrowing for the Ballard family.
5. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
6. What did Martha charge for delivering a baby?
7. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
8. How many doctors and midwives were available in the Hallowell area at the time?
9. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
10. How many times did Martha engage a doctor during her midwife practice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the process of making cloth in Martha's business. Begin with growing and harvesting the flax all the way to taking the cloth to market.
Essay Topic 2
In addition to her own daughters, Martha had several young women live and learn in her household over the years. Explain what skills Martha would impart and why she would have been a good teacher in domestic arts.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in as much detail as possible the process Martha would go through to deliver a baby--from being notified by the father of the imminent birth to leaving the new mother and child with their family.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)