|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ephraim's profession?
2. What is Martha's sister's name?
3. What did Dr. Page not understand?
4. Who does Rebecca Foster accuse of raping her?
5. How many babies did Martha deliver in 1793?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
2. How did Martha procure her medicines and what treatments did she advocate?
3. What were the circumstances surrounding the typical wedding?
4. How did Martha get started as a midwife in Hallowell?
5. What was the nature of the relationship between midwives and physicians during Martha's lifetime?
6. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
7. What is so amazing about Martha's diary and why do some people speculate that she began writing it?
8. What were the circumstances surrounding the rape of Rebecca Foster?
9. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
10. What did Martha charge for delivering a baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and describe the two primary reasons Martha's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the metaphor of society and the community being similar to a blue-checked tablecloth. What does the pattern on the cloth represent? Why was a cloth chosen to explain the scenario?
Essay Topic 3
What positions other than midwife did Martha hold in the community? What was her reputation? Did people respect her? Revere her? Explain.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)