|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Martha start her diary?
2. What role did the men play in the delivery of a child?
3. What is the state of Martha's accounts at this point?
4. What are Mr. Densmore's occupations?
5. When could a man be charged with fornication?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Martha get started as a midwife in Hallowell?
2. Both Ephraim and Martha had businesses to manage. How were their approaches to business different?
3. What was the role of a midwife in society and Martha's role in particular?
4. Explain why the summer of 1787 was very harrowing for the Ballard family.
5. How many doctors and midwives were available in the Hallowell area at the time?
6. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
7. What was the nature of the relationship between midwives and physicians during Martha's lifetime?
8. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
9. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
10. How much detail did Martha include in her diary about each birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the methods by which Martha would obtain her medicines. How do those methods compare to alternative medicines today?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Martha's diary had been overlooked for so many years. What value does it have for historians and students today?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Martha's role in the male-dominated society. How is this dominance reflected in Martha's entries?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)