|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martha's sister's name?
2. What is the epidemic in the summer of 1787?
3. When could a man be charged with fornication?
4. What played an important role in selecting a marriage partner?
5. What happened to the man accused of raping Rebecca?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Martha's weaving business allowed for the overlapping of male and female roles in the Ballard household.
2. What was the opinion of Reverend Foster by the Calvinists in the town and whose was the principal voice among them?
3. Which of Martha's relatives were married by 1792?
4. What is the occupation of Martha's husband, Ephraim?
5. How did Martha procure her medicines and what treatments did she advocate?
6. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
7. What was the role of a midwife in society and Martha's role in particular?
8. During what years did Martha keep her diary?
9. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
10. What was the outcome of the Rebecca Foster rape case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the metaphor of society and the community being similar to a blue-checked tablecloth. What does the pattern on the cloth represent? Why was a cloth chosen to explain the scenario?
Essay Topic 2
Sexual relations between unmarried people was considered a crime and labeled "fornication" in 18th century New England yet by all accounts it was widely practiced. Explain the ramifications for those who engaged in unmarried sex and were discovered.
Essay Topic 3
What positions other than midwife did Martha hold in the community? What was her reputation? Did people respect her? Revere her? Explain.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)