|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose illegitimate child does Martha deliver in October of 1791?
2. Premarital sex in 18th century New England is considered to be ______________.
3. What was Martha always sure to include when she mentioned a man in her diary?
4. Martha's medicines contained no more than _________ ingredients.
5. Why was Martha able to keep her daughters at home for the majority of their young adult lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances surrounding the rape of Rebecca Foster?
2. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
3. How did people perceive Martha in the community?
4. What details about each birth did Martha choose to exclude from her diary?
5. How does Martha's diary show the male-dominated society in which she lived?
6. Explain the contentious relationship between Reverend Foster and Henry Sewall.
7. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
8. During what years did Martha keep her diary?
9. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
10. What were the circumstances surrounding the typical wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to her own daughters, Martha had several young women live and learn in her household over the years. Explain what skills Martha would impart and why she would have been a good teacher in domestic arts.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Martha's role in the male-dominated society. How is this dominance reflected in Martha's entries?
Essay Topic 3
Name and describe the two primary reasons Martha's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)