|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did young unwed mothers stay?
2. What do Ephraim and Jonathan build for Martha?
3. Premarital sex in 18th century New England is considered to be ______________.
4. How long did brides remain with their parents after the marriage?
5. In what town are the Ballards living in 1787?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
2. How did people perceive Martha in the community?
3. How did Martha procure her medicines and what treatments did she advocate?
4. Where did Martha Ballard grow up and when did she marry her husband/
5. What was the role of a midwife in society and Martha's role in particular?
6. What was the opinion of Reverend Foster by the Calvinists in the town and whose was the principal voice among them?
7. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
8. What were the circumstances surrounding the rape of Rebecca Foster?
9. In general, how was the business in the community divided between men and women?
10. Explain the metaphor of the community as a blue-checked cloth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Martha's diary had been overlooked for so many years. What value does it have for historians and students today?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the evolution of Martha and Eprhraim's marriage. Was the relationship always good? What was their communication style? Was there mutual respect and support?
Essay Topic 3
Name and describe the two primary reasons Martha's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)