|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Martha's diary entries did not follow the same tone as other midwives from ________________.
2. How did Ephraim and Jonathan assist in Martha's weaving business?
3. Were marriages arranged in the 18th century?
4. Martha's medicines contained no more than _________ ingredients.
5. Whose illegitimate child does Martha deliver in October of 1791?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Martha's diary show the male-dominated society in which she lived?
2. What were the circumstances surrounding the rape of Rebecca Foster?
3. How was Reverend Foster's wife, Rebecca, received in Hallowell?
4. What was the outcome of the Rebecca Foster rape case?
5. Explain how Martha's weaving business allowed for the overlapping of male and female roles in the Ballard household.
6. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
7. What was the role of a midwife in society and Martha's role in particular?
8. How many times did Martha engage a doctor during her midwife practice?
9. What details about each birth did Martha choose to exclude from her diary?
10. Which of Martha's relatives were married by 1792?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Martha's husband, Ephraim. What is known about him from Martha's entries? What were his professions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the evolution of the relationship of doctors and midwives throughout Martha's lifetime. How did it change Martha's role as a midwife?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Martha's diary had been overlooked for so many years. What value does it have for historians and students today?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)