|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many babies did Martha deliver in 1793?
2. Which of Martha's daughters spun yarn for weaving and trading?
(a) Hannah and Molly
(b) Molly and Ellen
(c) Hannah and Dolly
(d) Hannah and Daisy
3. Why does Martha think Dr. Page will not be successful?
(a) He has no connections in the town
(b) He comes from a big city
(c) He is young and single
(d) He is too inexperienced
4. What was the death rate in Martha's town between the years of 1785 and 1790?
(a) 10 per 1500
(b) 15 per 1000
(c) 50 per 1000
(d) 150 per 1000
5. How does Martha refer to single women in her diary?
(a) Miss or their first name
(b) Miss or their fiance's name
(c) Ms. or their first name
(d) Miss or their father's name
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Page become a problem for Martha?
2. Which of the following was not one of Ephraim's professions?
3. What does young Ephraim do after the family's move?
4. What did Martha use as purgatives?
5. How could birth be a dangerous process?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
2. What was the opinion of Reverend Foster by the Calvinists in the town and whose was the principal voice among them?
3. Explain why the summer of 1787 was very harrowing for the Ballard family.
4. During what years did Martha keep her diary?
5. What were the circumstances surrounding the typical wedding?
6. How much detail did Martha include in her diary about each birth?
7. Where did Martha Ballard grow up and when did she marry her husband/
8. What did Martha charge for delivering a baby?
9. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
10. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)