|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Jonathan Ballard during his employment with Peter Jones at the mill?
(a) He was promoted
(b) He was injured
(c) He was terminated
(d) He bought the business
2. Where do Martha and Ephraim move their family?
(a) Henry Sewall's house
(b) The Mill Pond house
(c) Old Lieutenant Howard's house
(d) Captain North's house
3. What is the state of Martha's accounts at this point?
(c) Could be better
4. What played an important role in selecting a marriage partner?
5. What does Martha charge for each birth?
(a) 10 shillings
(b) 3 shillings
(c) 12 shillings
(d) 6 shillings
Short Answer Questions
1. Many men during Martha's lifetime thought that education for a woman was ________________.
2. Delivering babies was left primarily to whom?
3. What business did women handle during Martha's lifetime?
4. To what state do Martha and Ephraim move with their family?
5. A physician's training was ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances surrounding the typical wedding?
2. How was Reverend Foster's wife, Rebecca, received in Hallowell?
3. Explain why the summer of 1787 was very harrowing for the Ballard family.
4. Explain the metaphor of the community as a blue-checked cloth.
5. How many doctors and midwives were available in the Hallowell area at the time?
6. How does Martha's diary show the male-dominated society in which she lived?
7. How many times did Martha engage a doctor during her midwife practice?
8. In general, how was the business in the community divided between men and women?
9. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
10. Which of Martha's relatives were married by 1792?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)