|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Martha's medicines contained no more than _________ ingredients.
2. What terms does Martha very seldom use for women in her diary?
(a) Dame or Mistress
(b) Lady or Madam
(c) Lady or Mistress
(d) Lady or Mam
3. Why was Martha able to keep her daughters at home for the majority of their young adult lives?
(a) She would not let them marry
(b) She asked them to stay
(c) She demanded that they stay
(d) She had enough money from her two businesses
4. How does Martha refer to single women in her diary?
(a) Miss or their father's name
(b) Ms. or their first name
(c) Miss or their first name
(d) Miss or their fiance's name
5. Martha strongly believed in _____________ to make her patients feel better.
(a) taking a nap
(b) drinking water
(c) purging the body
(d) sitting in the sun
Short Answer Questions
1. What marked the end of the "lying-in" period for a new mother?
2. Martha began to keep a diary because ___________________________.
3. What did Martha use as purgatives?
4. For how many years did Martha work as a midwife?
5. Where do Martha and Ephraim move their family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What details about each birth did Martha choose to exclude from her diary?
2. What was the nature of the relationship between midwives and physicians during Martha's lifetime?
3. How does Martha's diary show the male-dominated society in which she lived?
4. In general, how was the business in the community divided between men and women?
5. During what years did Martha keep her diary?
6. What was the opinion of Reverend Foster by the Calvinists in the town and whose was the principal voice among them?
7. What did Martha charge for delivering a baby?
8. Although premarital sex was acknowledged as a common practice, it was also illegal. Explain the repercussions for both people involved.
9. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
10. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)