|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Premarital sex in 18th century New England is considered to be ______________.
(b) A crime
2. What business did men handle during Martha's lifetime?
(a) Religious work
(b) Education work
(c) Public business
(d) Legal work
3. When could a man be charged with fornication?
(a) When his partner was a young girl
(b) When he refused to take responsibility for a child
(c) When he was married
(d) When an affair lasted more than six months
4. How could birth be a dangerous process?
(a) If it was a breech birth
(b) If the woman was alone
(c) If it was a multiple birth
(d) If the baby was premature
5. How many babies is Martha delivering each year at this time?
Short Answer Questions
1. Were marriages arranged in the 18th century?
2. What did Dr. Page not understand?
3. What happens to Jonathan Ballard during his employment with Peter Jones at the mill?
4. What is the epidemic in the summer of 1787?
5. Which of Martha's daughters spun yarn for weaving and trading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
2. What is so amazing about Martha's diary and why do some people speculate that she began writing it?
3. How did people perceive Martha in the community?
4. How was Reverend Foster's wife, Rebecca, received in Hallowell?
5. What is the occupation of Martha's husband, Ephraim?
6. How did Martha get started as a midwife in Hallowell?
7. How many times did Martha engage a doctor during her midwife practice?
8. Although premarital sex was acknowledged as a common practice, it was also illegal. Explain the repercussions for both people involved.
9. How much detail did Martha include in her diary about each birth?
10. What was the role of a midwife in society and Martha's role in particular?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)