|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What business did women handle during Martha's lifetime?
(a) Volunteer work
(b) Unseen community business
(c) Editorial work
(d) Education work
2. What happens to Jonathan Ballard during his employment with Peter Jones at the mill?
(a) He was terminated
(b) He was promoted
(c) He bought the business
(d) He was injured
3. To what state do Martha and Ephraim move with their family?
(d) New York
4. Which social and economic class had more out-of-wedlock births?
(a) Each class had an equal share
(b) The lower class
(c) The middle class
(d) The upper class
5. What is the perception of midwives among women?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Martha always sure to include when she mentioned a man in her diary?
2. Which of the following was not one of Martha's professions?
3. What marked the end of the "lying-in" period for a new mother?
4. What is the function of a midwife?
5. How many young women did Martha employ in her home between the years of 1785-1800?
Short Essay Questions
1. During what years did Martha keep her diary?
2. In general, how was the business in the community divided between men and women?
3. Explain the community's position on premarital sex and how Martha's own family was embroiled in a situation regarding premarital sex.
4. What was the religious structure in Hallowell and who was the minister in the town?
5. What is so amazing about Martha's diary and why do some people speculate that she began writing it?
6. What were the circumstances surrounding the rape of Rebecca Foster?
7. What was the nature of the relationship between midwives and physicians during Martha's lifetime?
8. What did Martha charge for delivering a baby?
9. What was the opinion of Reverend Foster by the Calvinists in the town and whose was the principal voice among them?
10. Explain why the summer of 1787 was very harrowing for the Ballard family.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)