|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the function of a midwife?
(c) Deliver babies
2. What business did women handle during Martha's lifetime?
(a) Volunteer work
(b) Education work
(c) Editorial work
(d) Unseen community business
3. How many babies did Martha deliver in 1793?
4. Which of the following was not one of Martha's professions?
5. Who does the woman in #82 claim is the father of her child?
(a) Jonathan Ballard
(b) Captain North
(c) Henry Sewall
(d) Reverend Foster
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did brides remain with their parents after the marriage?
2. How are 18th century weddings described?
3. What was a normal occurrence during courtship?
4. How many people died during the epidemic in 1787?
5. Martha's success rate was comparable to the statistics of the _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the role of a midwife in society and Martha's role in particular?
2. What were the circumstances surrounding the typical wedding?
3. Explain why the summer of 1787 was very harrowing for the Ballard family.
4. What were the circumstances surrounding the rape of Rebecca Foster?
5. Explain the contentious relationship between Reverend Foster and Henry Sewall.
6. What did Martha charge for delivering a baby?
7. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
8. What was the opinion of Reverend Foster by the Calvinists in the town and whose was the principal voice among them?
9. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
10. How does Martha's diary show the male-dominated society in which she lived?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)