|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not something Martha noted in her diary about each birth?
(a) Comments about the woman's body
(c) Time of birth
(d) Gender of the baby
2. How many preachers was each town allowed?
3. Society during Martha's time was described as a ___________________.
(b) blue-checked cloth
(c) spider's web
(d) ripple in a pool
4. How many babies did Martha deliver in 1793?
5. How could birth be a dangerous process?
(a) If the woman was alone
(b) If the baby was premature
(c) If it was a breech birth
(d) If it was a multiple birth
Short Answer Questions
1. What does young Ephraim do after the family's move?
2. What is Isaac Foster's wife's name?
3. In what town to Martha and Ephraim settle?
4. What did Dr. Page not understand?
5. Who does Jonathan Ballard marry in February of 1792?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the contentious relationship between Reverend Foster and Henry Sewall.
2. Where did Martha Ballard grow up and when did she marry her husband/
3. What was the role of a midwife in society and Martha's role in particular?
4. How did people perceive Martha in the community?
5. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
6. Explain why the summer of 1787 was very harrowing for the Ballard family.
7. How was Reverend Foster's wife, Rebecca, received in Hallowell?
8. How many times did Martha engage a doctor during her midwife practice?
9. What were the circumstances surrounding the rape of Rebecca Foster?
10. How much detail did Martha include in her diary about each birth?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)