|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Martha's daughters spun yarn for weaving and trading?
(a) Hannah and Molly
(b) Hannah and Dolly
(c) Molly and Ellen
(d) Hannah and Daisy
2. What is the function of a midwife?
(a) Deliver babies
3. What happened to the man accused of raping Rebecca?
(a) He was acquitted
(b) He was hanged
(c) He was imprisoned
(d) He was exiled
4. Many men during Martha's lifetime thought that education for a woman was ________________.
5. Society during Martha's time was described as a ___________________.
(a) ripple in a pool
(c) spider's web
(d) blue-checked cloth
Short Answer Questions
1. A physician's training was ___________________________.
2. Whose illegitimate child does Martha deliver in October of 1791?
3. What is Martha accused of taking from a neighbor?
4. What role did the men play in the delivery of a child?
5. Everyone knew that birth was a ______________ process.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the community's position on premarital sex and how Martha's own family was embroiled in a situation regarding premarital sex.
2. What is so amazing about Martha's diary and why do some people speculate that she began writing it?
3. What was the outcome of the Rebecca Foster rape case?
4. Explain the metaphor of the community as a blue-checked cloth.
5. What were the typical courting practices in late 18th century America?
6. Both Ephraim and Martha had businesses to manage. How were their approaches to business different?
7. Explain the contentious relationship between Reverend Foster and Henry Sewall.
8. What were the circumstances surrounding the rape of Rebecca Foster?
9. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
10. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)