|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Were marriages arranged in the 18th century?
2. How does Martha refer to single women in her diary?
(a) Miss or their fiance's name
(b) Miss or their first name
(c) Miss or their father's name
(d) Ms. or their first name
3. What is the bulk of Martha's diary?
(b) To-do list
(c) Daily activities
4. What is Isaac Foster's wife's name?
5. Why was Martha able to keep her daughters at home for the majority of their young adult lives?
(a) She demanded that they stay
(b) She would not let them marry
(c) She had enough money from her two businesses
(d) She asked them to stay
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term used when the groom retrieves his bride from her parents' home?
2. Martha's success rate was ____________________.
3. Martha's diary was once included in a book about the history of which city?
4. Martha strongly believed in _____________ to make her patients feel better.
5. What did Martha use as purgatives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the role of a midwife in society and Martha's role in particular?
2. What is the occupation of Martha's husband, Ephraim?
3. How did Martha get started as a midwife in Hallowell?
4. What did Martha charge for delivering a baby?
5. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
6. Explain how Martha's weaving business allowed for the overlapping of male and female roles in the Ballard household.
7. How did people perceive Martha in the community?
8. How much detail did Martha include in her diary about each birth?
9. Where did Martha Ballard grow up and when did she marry her husband/
10. Explain the community's position on premarital sex and how Martha's own family was embroiled in a situation regarding premarital sex.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)