|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what town are the Ballards living in 1787?
2. Martha's success rate was comparable to the statistics of the _______________.
3. What is the perception of midwives among those in authority?
4. What role did the men play in the delivery of a child?
(a) Cut the bandages
(b) Boiled the water
(c) Transported the midwife and nurses
(d) Cut the umbilical cord
5. With whom does Dolly Ballard apprentice as a dressmaker?
(a) Mrs. Foster
(b) Mrs. Franklin
(c) Mrs. Dunham
(d) Mrs. Densmore
Short Answer Questions
1. A physician's training was ___________________________.
2. Why does Dr. Page become a problem for Martha?
3. Which of the following is not something Martha had to contend with as a midwife?
4. What terms does Martha very seldom use for women in her diary?
5. Were marriages arranged in the 18th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although premarital sex was acknowledged as a common practice, it was also illegal. Explain the repercussions for both people involved.
2. How did Martha procure her medicines and what treatments did she advocate?
3. How was Reverend Foster's wife, Rebecca, received in Hallowell?
4. What is the occupation of Martha's husband, Ephraim?
5. Explain why the summer of 1787 was very harrowing for the Ballard family.
6. What were the typical courting practices in late 18th century America?
7. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
8. What is so amazing about Martha's diary and why do some people speculate that she began writing it?
9. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
10. How much detail did Martha include in her diary about each birth?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)