|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ephraim and Jonathan build for Martha?
(b) Sewing room
(c) Trundle bed
(d) New cupboard
2. Martha used her diary to _________________.
(a) complain about her husband
(b) track her businesses
(c) vent about emotional problems
(d) unload her problems
3. Martha's diary was once included in a book about the history of which city?
(a) Portland, Maine
(b) Augusta, Georgia
(c) Augusta, Maine
(d) Albany, New York
4. Because of Dr. Page's training, Martha thinks he is _______________.
(a) better than she
5. Martha's success rate was ____________________.
(b) below average
(d) very high
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the wife expected to make for the couple's new home?
2. How does Martha refer to single women in her diary?
3. How could birth be a dangerous process?
4. With whom does Dolly Ballard apprentice as a dressmaker?
5. In what town to Martha and Ephraim settle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
2. How many doctors and midwives were available in the Hallowell area at the time?
3. Explain the metaphor of the community as a blue-checked cloth.
4. What was the outcome of the Rebecca Foster rape case?
5. What was the nature of the relationship between midwives and physicians during Martha's lifetime?
6. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
7. Which of Martha's relatives were married by 1792?
8. Explain how courtship and marriage during Martha's life were very different from popular perception of the time period.
9. How many times did Martha engage a doctor during her midwife practice?
10. Both Ephraim and Martha had businesses to manage. How were their approaches to business different?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)