|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the woman in #82 claim is the father of her child?
(a) Captain North
(b) Reverend Foster
(c) Henry Sewall
(d) Jonathan Ballard
2. How could birth be a dangerous process?
(a) If the woman was alone
(b) If it was a breech birth
(c) If the baby was premature
(d) If it was a multiple birth
3. How many children does Martha deliver in her lifetime?
4. Where did Martha deep much of her accounting?
(a) Her kitchen cupboard
(b) Her desk drawer
(c) Her diary
(d) Her bedside table
5. What does Martha experience for the first time during this period?
(a) The first time she delivers a child
(b) The death of a mother and child
(c) The birth of her first child
(d) The Baptism of her last child
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not something Martha had to contend with as a midwife?
2. Delivering babies was left primarily to whom?
3. What was Martha Ballard's maiden name?
4. Martha's diary was once included in a book about the history of which city?
5. What is the perception of midwives among those in authority?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the metaphor of the community as a blue-checked cloth.
2. How did people perceive Martha in the community?
3. What were the typical courting practices in late 18th century America?
4. What details about each birth did Martha choose to exclude from her diary?
5. What were the circumstances surrounding the typical wedding?
6. Explain why the summer of 1787 was very harrowing for the Ballard family.
7. What did Martha charge for delivering a baby?
8. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
9. What was the opinion of Reverend Foster by the Calvinists in the town and whose was the principal voice among them?
10. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)