|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha experience for the first time during this period?
(a) The first time she delivers a child
(b) The birth of her first child
(c) The Baptism of her last child
(d) The death of a mother and child
2. What is the epidemic in the summer of 1787?
(d) Scarlet fever
3. What business did men handle during Martha's lifetime?
(a) Religious work
(b) Education work
(c) Public business
(d) Legal work
4. Martha strongly believed in _____________ to make her patients feel better.
(a) purging the body
(b) drinking water
(c) taking a nap
(d) sitting in the sun
5. Whose illegitimate child does Martha deliver in October of 1791?
(a) Sally Pierce
(b) Rebecca Foster
(c) Ellen Franklin
(d) Rebecca Densmore
Short Answer Questions
1. Physicians often doubled as what profession?
2. Many historians consider Martha's diary to be _____________.
3. Which of the following is not something Martha noted in her diary about each birth?
4. A physician's training was ___________________________.
5. What term did Martha use for a woman in labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Both Ephraim and Martha had businesses to manage. How were their approaches to business different?
2. Explain the contentious relationship between Reverend Foster and Henry Sewall.
3. Although premarital sex was acknowledged as a common practice, it was also illegal. Explain the repercussions for both people involved.
4. What is so amazing about Martha's diary and why do some people speculate that she began writing it?
5. What was the outcome of the Rebecca Foster rape case?
6. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
7. During what years did Martha keep her diary?
8. How did Martha get started as a midwife in Hallowell?
9. How did people perceive Martha in the community?
10. What did Martha charge for delivering a baby?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)