|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are 18th century weddings described?
(a) Extremely reserved
(b) Over the top
(c) Big events
2. Martha's diary was once included in a book about the history of which city?
(a) Albany, New York
(b) Augusta, Maine
(c) Portland, Maine
(d) Augusta, Georgia
3. What does Martha's diary provide to historians?
(a) A look at medical malpractice
(b) A look at the life of a pioneer woman
(c) A look at how medicine was dispersed
(d) A look at early American language
4. Who does the woman in #82 claim is the father of her child?
(a) Captain North
(b) Henry Sewall
(c) Reverend Foster
(d) Jonathan Ballard
5. How long had the Ballards been living at John Jones Mill?
(a) 3 years
(b) 5 years
(c) 10 years
(d) 7 years
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Martha deep much of her accounting?
2. Martha's diary entries did not follow the same tone as other midwives from ________________.
3. What was the relationship between doctors and midwives during this period?
4. How does Martha refer to single women in her diary?
5. Martha used her diary to _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the community's position on premarital sex and how Martha's own family was embroiled in a situation regarding premarital sex.
2. What was the role of a midwife in society and Martha's role in particular?
3. What is the occupation of Martha's husband, Ephraim?
4. During what years did Martha keep her diary?
5. How was Reverend Foster's wife, Rebecca, received in Hallowell?
6. Both Ephraim and Martha had businesses to manage. How were their approaches to business different?
7. What was the outcome of the Rebecca Foster rape case?
8. What is so amazing about Martha's diary and why do some people speculate that she began writing it?
9. In addition to being a midwife, Martha also had a weaving business. How did that get started?
10. What were the typical courting practices in late 18th century America?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)