|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which social and economic class had more out-of-wedlock births?
(a) The upper class
(b) The lower class
(c) The middle class
(d) Each class had an equal share
2. With whom does Dolly Ballard apprentice as a dressmaker?
(a) Mrs. Densmore
(b) Mrs. Dunham
(c) Mrs. Franklin
(d) Mrs. Foster
3. Which of the following is not something Martha had to contend with as a midwife?
(a) False Labor
(b) Premature births
4. How many preachers was each town allowed?
5. Martha strongly believed in _____________ to make her patients feel better.
(a) sitting in the sun
(b) taking a nap
(c) purging the body
(d) drinking water
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was expected to provide all the items for the newlyweds' new home?
2. What are Mr. Densmore's occupations?
3. How could birth be a dangerous process?
4. Who does Jonathan Ballard marry in February of 1792?
5. What was the birth to death ratio in Martha's town between the years of 1785 and 1790?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the outcome of the Rebecca Foster rape case?
2. During what years did Martha keep her diary?
3. How did Martha procure her medicines and what treatments did she advocate?
4. How was Reverend Foster's wife, Rebecca, received in Hallowell?
5. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
6. What was the nature of the relationship between midwives and physicians during Martha's lifetime?
7. Explain how Martha's weaving business allowed for the overlapping of male and female roles in the Ballard household.
8. Explain the contentious relationship between Reverend Foster and Henry Sewall.
9. What was the role of a midwife in society and Martha's role in particular?
10. Explain why the summer of 1787 was very harrowing for the Ballard family.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)