|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Martha Ballard's maiden name?
2. How were the churches in each town supported?
(a) Town taxes
(b) State taxes
(c) Congregation funds
(d) Federal taxes
3. What happens to Jonathan Ballard during his employment with Peter Jones at the mill?
(a) He bought the business
(b) He was terminated
(c) He was injured
(d) He was promoted
4. Who is Dr. Page?
(a) An Augusta physician
(b) A Boston physician
(c) A Hallowell physician
(d) A Portland physician
5. What role did the men play in the delivery of a child?
(a) Cut the bandages
(b) Boiled the water
(c) Transported the midwife and nurses
(d) Cut the umbilical cord
Short Answer Questions
1. Martha's medicines contained no more than _________ ingredients.
2. Martha's diary entries did not follow the same tone as other midwives from ________________.
3. An unwed mother was required to _______________________.
4. Everyone knew that birth was a ______________ process.
5. What is Martha's sister's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many doctors and midwives were available in the Hallowell area at the time?
2. Which of Martha's relatives were married by 1792?
3. What were the circumstances surrounding the rape of Rebecca Foster?
4. In general, how was the business in the community divided between men and women?
5. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
6. Both Ephraim and Martha had businesses to manage. How were their approaches to business different?
7. How did Martha get started as a midwife in Hallowell?
8. During what years did Martha keep her diary?
9. What was the nature of the relationship between midwives and physicians during Martha's lifetime?
10. How did people perceive Martha in the community?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)