|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not something Martha had to contend with as a midwife?
(a) False Labor
(b) Premature births
2. How many preachers was each town allowed?
3. For how many years did Martha work as a midwife?
4. How were the churches in each town supported?
(a) Federal taxes
(b) Congregation funds
(c) State taxes
(d) Town taxes
5. Physicians often doubled as what profession?
(a) Justice of the Peace
(c) Newspaper Editor
Short Answer Questions
1. Martha's success rate was ____________________.
2. What is the term used when the groom retrieves his bride from her parents' home?
3. In what town are the Ballards living in 1787?
4. Martha began to keep a diary because ___________________________.
5. Which of the following was not one of Ephraim's professions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many times did Martha engage a doctor during her midwife practice?
2. Although premarital sex was acknowledged as a common practice, it was also illegal. Explain the repercussions for both people involved.
3. How did people perceive Martha in the community?
4. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
5. Explain the metaphor of the community as a blue-checked cloth.
6. What is so amazing about Martha's diary and why do some people speculate that she began writing it?
7. How did Martha procure her medicines and what treatments did she advocate?
8. Who was Dr. Page and what is his relationship with Martha?
9. What is the occupation of Martha's husband, Ephraim?
10. What details about each birth did Martha choose to exclude from her diary?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)