|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the woman in #82 claim is the father of her child?
(a) Captain North
(b) Jonathan Ballard
(c) Henry Sewall
(d) Reverend Foster
2. Where do Martha and Ephraim move their family?
(a) Old Lieutenant Howard's house
(b) Captain North's house
(c) The Mill Pond house
(d) Henry Sewall's house
3. What was Martha always sure to include when she mentioned a man in her diary?
(a) His address
(b) His title
(c) His wife's name
(d) His middle name
4. Who moves into the Ballard house after their two daughters and niece leave to live with their new husbands?
(a) Sally and Ellen
(b) Betsy and Sally
(c) Betsy and Ellen
(d) Betsy and Rebecca
5. What played an important role in selecting a marriage partner?
Short Answer Questions
1. Martha's diary was once included in a book about the history of which city?
2. What is the epidemic in the summer of 1787?
3. In what town are the Ballards living in 1787?
4. Martha's success rate was comparable to the statistics of the _______________.
5. Where did Martha deep much of her accounting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the pattern of new births in the year 1793?
2. What were the circumstances surrounding the typical wedding?
3. In general, how was the business in the community divided between men and women?
4. How has Martha's diary been perceived by historians?
5. What did Martha charge for delivering a baby?
6. How does Martha's diary show the male-dominated society in which she lived?
7. Explain the metaphor of the community as a blue-checked cloth.
8. How did Martha procure her medicines and what treatments did she advocate?
9. How many doctors and midwives were available in the Hallowell area at the time?
10. What details about each birth did Martha choose to exclude from her diary?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)