|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people in the Ballard household get married in 1792?
2. How did Ephraim and Jonathan assist in Martha's weaving business?
(d) Sheared sheep and broke flax
3. Martha's success rate was comparable to the statistics of the _______________.
4. Martha's diary entries did not follow the same tone as other midwives from ________________.
(a) Rhode Island
5. What played an important role in selecting a marriage partner?
6. What was a normal occurrence during courtship?
(a) pre-marital sex
(b) going to church
(c) going dancing
(d) having picnics
7. What role did the men play in the delivery of a child?
(a) Transported the midwife and nurses
(b) Cut the umbilical cord
(c) Boiled the water
(d) Cut the bandages
8. What was Ephraim's profession?
(a) Surveyor and miller
(b) Surveyor and judge
(c) Lawyer and judge
(d) Lawyer and miller
9. Which of the following was not one of Martha's professions?
10. How many children does Martha deliver in her lifetime?
11. What major problem does Martha have with living in the new house?
12. Why was Martha able to keep her daughters at home for the majority of their young adult lives?
(a) She asked them to stay
(b) She would not let them marry
(c) She had enough money from her two businesses
(d) She demanded that they stay
13. Martha strongly believed in _____________ to make her patients feel better.
(a) sitting in the sun
(b) purging the body
(c) drinking water
(d) taking a nap
14. Physicians often doubled as what profession?
(c) Newspaper Editor
(d) Justice of the Peace
15. Who does the woman in #82 claim is the father of her child?
(a) Reverend Foster
(b) Jonathan Ballard
(c) Henry Sewall
(d) Captain North
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not one of Ephraim's professions?
2. Martha's medicines contained no more than _________ ingredients.
3. What is Martha's sister's name?
4. What is the state of Martha's accounts at this point?
5. What is Isaac Foster's wife's name?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)