|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Society during Martha's time was described as a ___________________.
(a) ripple in a pool
(c) blue-checked cloth
(d) spider's web
2. How many people in the Ballard household get married in 1792?
3. Who is Reverend Isaac Foster?
(a) The preacher in Kennebunk
(b) The preacher in Hallowell
(c) The preacher in Augusta
(d) The preacher in Portland
4. How many times in 27 years of midwife practice did Martha ever call a doctor?
5. What was the relationship between doctors and midwives during this period?
6. For how many years did Martha work as a midwife?
7. In what town are the Ballards living in 1787?
8. Many men during Martha's lifetime thought that education for a woman was ________________.
9. Which of the following was not one of Ephraim's professions?
(b) Tax collector
10. Martha's medicines contained no more than _________ ingredients.
11. Were marriages arranged in the 18th century?
12. What is the epidemic in the summer of 1787?
(d) Scarlet fever
13. Where do Martha and Ephraim move their family?
(a) The Mill Pond house
(b) Old Lieutenant Howard's house
(c) Henry Sewall's house
(d) Captain North's house
14. Which of the following was not one of Martha's professions?
15. What was the death rate in Martha's town between the years of 1785 and 1790?
(a) 10 per 1500
(b) 50 per 1000
(c) 15 per 1000
(d) 150 per 1000
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term used when the groom retrieves his bride from her parents' home?
2. Who does Jonathan Ballard marry in February of 1792?
3. What happens to Ephraim's mill in 1787?
4. What major problem does Martha have with living in the new house?
5. Which prominent man in Hallowell did not like Isaac Foster?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)