|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what town to Martha and Ephraim settle?
2. What role did the men play in the delivery of a child?
(a) Boiled the water
(b) Cut the umbilical cord
(c) Transported the midwife and nurses
(d) Cut the bandages
3. What are Mr. Densmore's occupations?
(a) Farmer and lawyer
(b) Miller and tailor
(c) Farmer and tailor
(d) Judge and tailor
4. Who does Jonathan Ballard marry in February of 1792?
(a) Ellen Howe
(b) Rebecca Foster
(c) Rebecca Densmore
(d) Sally Pierce
5. What was Ephraim's profession?
(a) Lawyer and judge
(b) Surveyor and miller
(c) Lawyer and miller
(d) Surveyor and judge
6. Where did young unwed mothers stay?
(a) With their lovers
(b) With their parents
(c) With the preacher's wife
(d) With distant relatives
7. What happened to the man accused of raping Rebecca?
(a) He was hanged
(b) He was exiled
(c) He was imprisoned
(d) He was acquitted
8. Why does Dr. Page become a problem for Martha?
(a) He makes slanderous comments about her
(b) He includes midwifery in his practice
(c) He opens his practice next door
(d) He sues her
9. Many New England tows were religiously divided between the strict ______________ and the liberals.
10. Many historians consider Martha's diary to be _____________.
(d) slightly interesting
11. Martha's success rate was ____________________.
(a) very high
(b) below average
12. How did Ephraim and Jonathan assist in Martha's weaving business?
(a) Sheared sheep and broke flax
13. Where did Martha deep much of her accounting?
(a) Her diary
(b) Her bedside table
(c) Her desk drawer
(d) Her kitchen cupboard
14. Who moves into the Ballard house after their two daughters and niece leave to live with their new husbands?
(a) Betsy and Sally
(b) Sally and Ellen
(c) Betsy and Ellen
(d) Betsy and Rebecca
15. In what year does Martha start her diary?
Short Answer Questions
1. Were marriages arranged in the 18th century?
2. What was a normal occurrence during courtship?
3. What is the state of Martha's accounts at this point?
4. Because of Dr. Page's training, Martha thinks he is _______________.
5. What is the perception of midwives among women?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)