|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of Dr. Page's training, Martha thinks he is _______________.
(c) better than she
2. How many babies did Martha deliver in 1793?
3. What business did women handle during Martha's lifetime?
(a) Education work
(b) Editorial work
(c) Unseen community business
(d) Volunteer work
4. Martha's diary entries did not follow the same tone as other midwives from ________________.
(b) Rhode Island
5. What is the perception of midwives among women?
6. What was the death rate in Martha's town between the years of 1785 and 1790?
(a) 10 per 1500
(b) 50 per 1000
(c) 15 per 1000
(d) 150 per 1000
7. What are Mr. Densmore's occupations?
(a) Miller and tailor
(b) Farmer and lawyer
(c) Judge and tailor
(d) Farmer and tailor
8. Where do Martha and Ephraim move their family?
(a) Old Lieutenant Howard's house
(b) Henry Sewall's house
(c) The Mill Pond house
(d) Captain North's house
9. Where did Martha deep much of her accounting?
(a) Her kitchen cupboard
(b) Her desk drawer
(c) Her diary
(d) Her bedside table
10. Martha's training was _________________________.
(a) traditional and manual
(b) manual and experimental
(c) traditional and experimental
(d) literary and experimental
11. What was Ephraim's profession?
(a) Surveyor and judge
(b) Lawyer and judge
(c) Surveyor and miller
(d) Lawyer and miller
12. Were marriages arranged in the 18th century?
13. What happens to Jonathan Ballard during his employment with Peter Jones at the mill?
(a) He was promoted
(b) He was injured
(c) He was terminated
(d) He bought the business
14. What happens to Ephraim's mill in 1787?
(a) He tears it down
(b) He adds on to the structure
(c) It burns down
(d) He builds a front porch
15. How could birth be a dangerous process?
(a) If it was a breech birth
(b) If the baby was premature
(c) If it was a multiple birth
(d) If the woman was alone
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the churches in each town supported?
2. What was a normal occurrence during courtship?
3. What marked the end of the "lying-in" period for a new mother?
4. Martha strongly believed in _____________ to make her patients feel better.
5. Who was expected to provide all the items for the newlyweds' new home?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)