|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Martha's sister's name?
(a) Dorothy Barton
(b) Dorothy Ballard
(c) Clara Barton
(d) Elizabeth Brown
2. Which social and economic class had more out-of-wedlock births?
(a) The upper class
(b) The lower class
(c) The middle class
(d) Each class had an equal share
3. Why does Dr. Page become a problem for Martha?
(a) He opens his practice next door
(b) He makes slanderous comments about her
(c) He includes midwifery in his practice
(d) He sues her
4. To what state do Martha and Ephraim move with their family?
(a) New York
5. What terms does Martha very seldom use for women in her diary?
(a) Lady or Mistress
(b) Lady or Madam
(c) Dame or Mistress
(d) Lady or Mam
6. Which of the following is not a way in which Martha would discuss a man in her diary?
7. Many New England tows were religiously divided between the strict ______________ and the liberals.
8. In what town was Martha Ballard born?
(a) Oxford, Ohio
(b) Oxford, Mississippi
(c) Oxford, Massachusetts
(d) Oxford, England
9. How many people in the Ballard household get married in 1792?
10. How did Ephraim and Jonathan assist in Martha's weaving business?
(a) Sheared sheep and broke flax
11. Why does Martha think Dr. Page will not be successful?
(a) He is too inexperienced
(b) He is young and single
(c) He comes from a big city
(d) He has no connections in the town
12. What business did men handle during Martha's lifetime?
(a) Public business
(b) Legal work
(c) Religious work
(d) Education work
13. Martha began to keep a diary because ___________________________.
(a) She had a hard time remembering appointments
(b) No one really knows
(c) She wanted to pass her story to her children
(d) She wanted to keep a medical log
14. What is Isaac Foster's wife's name?
15. What do Ephraim and Jonathan build for Martha?
(a) Trundle bed
(b) New cupboard
(d) Sewing room
Short Answer Questions
1. What major problem does Martha have with living in the new house?
2. Many men during Martha's lifetime thought that education for a woman was ________________.
3. Because of Dr. Page's training, Martha thinks he is _______________.
4. How are 18th century weddings described?
5. How many babies is Martha delivering each year at this time?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)