|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the bulk of Martha's diary?
(c) Daily activities
(d) To-do list
2. Who is Reverend Isaac Foster?
(a) The preacher in Augusta
(b) The preacher in Hallowell
(c) The preacher in Kennebunk
(d) The preacher in Portland
3. When could a man be charged with fornication?
(a) When his partner was a young girl
(b) When he refused to take responsibility for a child
(c) When he was married
(d) When an affair lasted more than six months
4. Who does the woman in #82 claim is the father of her child?
(a) Reverend Foster
(b) Henry Sewall
(c) Jonathan Ballard
(d) Captain North
5. What are Mr. Densmore's occupations?
(a) Miller and tailor
(b) Judge and tailor
(c) Farmer and tailor
(d) Farmer and lawyer
6. How did Ephraim and Jonathan assist in Martha's weaving business?
(d) Sheared sheep and broke flax
7. How many children did Martha have?
8. Martha's diary was once included in a book about the history of which city?
(a) Albany, New York
(b) Augusta, Georgia
(c) Portland, Maine
(d) Augusta, Maine
9. In what town to Martha and Ephraim settle?
10. What marked the end of the "lying-in" period for a new mother?
(a) When she could make her own bed
(b) When one month had passed
(c) When the relatives went home
(d) When the baby was considered healthy
11. Who moves into the Ballard house after their two daughters and niece leave to live with their new husbands?
(a) Betsy and Sally
(b) Betsy and Rebecca
(c) Betsy and Ellen
(d) Sally and Ellen
12. Who is Ephraim Ballard?
(a) Martha's father-in-law
(b) Martha's brother-in-law
(c) Martha's first son
(d) Martha's husband
13. Martha's success rate was comparable to the statistics of the _______________.
14. What term did Martha use for a woman in labor?
15. Which of the following is not something Martha had to contend with as a midwife?
(b) False Labor
(d) Premature births
Short Answer Questions
1. How many preachers was each town allowed?
2. Who is Dr. Page?
3. What did Dr. Page not understand?
4. Which of the following is not something Martha noted in her diary about each birth?
5. Where did young unwed mothers stay?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)