|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A physician's training was ___________________________.
(a) experimental and literary
(b) traditional and manual
(c) experimental and manual
(d) traditional and experimental
2. Martha's diary was once included in a book about the history of which city?
(a) Portland, Maine
(b) Augusta, Georgia
(c) Albany, New York
(d) Augusta, Maine
3. Who does Rebecca Foster accuse of raping her?
(a) James Franklin
(b) Henry Sewall
(c) Thomas Sewall
(d) Colonel North
4. Who is Reverend Isaac Foster?
(a) The preacher in Portland
(b) The preacher in Hallowell
(c) The preacher in Kennebunk
(d) The preacher in Augusta
5. Delivering babies was left primarily to whom?
6. What was a normal occurrence during courtship?
(a) having picnics
(b) going to church
(c) going dancing
(d) pre-marital sex
7. On what river does Martha spend much of her time?
(a) Colorado River
(b) Kennebec River
(c) Ohio River
(d) Mississippi River
8. For how many years did Martha work as a midwife?
9. Which of the following is not a product for which Martha used herbs?
10. Martha strongly believed in _____________ to make her patients feel better.
(a) purging the body
(b) sitting in the sun
(c) taking a nap
(d) drinking water
11. Physicians often doubled as what profession?
(b) Newspaper Editor
(c) Justice of the Peace
12. What is the state of Martha's accounts at this point?
(d) Could be better
13. Society during Martha's time was described as a ___________________.
(b) blue-checked cloth
(c) spider's web
(d) ripple in a pool
14. Martha began to keep a diary because ___________________________.
(a) No one really knows
(b) She wanted to pass her story to her children
(c) She had a hard time remembering appointments
(d) She wanted to keep a medical log
15. What is the term used when the groom retrieves his bride from her parents' home?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martha's sister's name?
2. Everyone knew that birth was a ______________ process.
3. Who was expected to provide all the items for the newlyweds' new home?
4. What was Ephraim's profession?
5. How many young women did Martha employ in her home between the years of 1785-1800?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)