|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha charge for each birth?
(a) 10 shillings
(b) 3 shillings
(c) 12 shillings
(d) 6 shillings
2. What major problem does Martha have with living in the new house?
3. How long had the Ballards been living at John Jones Mill?
(a) 5 years
(b) 10 years
(c) 3 years
(d) 7 years
4. On what river does Martha spend much of her time?
(a) Mississippi River
(b) Ohio River
(c) Kennebec River
(d) Colorado River
5. What is the bulk of Martha's diary?
(a) To-do list
(c) Daily activities
6. What terms does Martha very seldom use for women in her diary?
(a) Dame or Mistress
(b) Lady or Madam
(c) Lady or Mistress
(d) Lady or Mam
7. In what town to Martha and Ephraim settle?
8. Martha's training was _________________________.
(a) manual and experimental
(b) literary and experimental
(c) traditional and experimental
(d) traditional and manual
9. With whom does Dolly Ballard apprentice as a dressmaker?
(a) Mrs. Densmore
(b) Mrs. Dunham
(c) Mrs. Foster
(d) Mrs. Franklin
10. How many children does Martha deliver in her lifetime?
11. What was Martha Ballard's maiden name?
12. Who does Jonathan Ballard marry in February of 1792?
(a) Sally Pierce
(b) Ellen Howe
(c) Rebecca Foster
(d) Rebecca Densmore
13. How are 18th century weddings described?
(b) Extremely reserved
(c) Big events
(d) Over the top
14. What is the perception of midwives among women?
15. What are Mr. Densmore's occupations?
(a) Farmer and lawyer
(b) Miller and tailor
(c) Farmer and tailor
(d) Judge and tailor
Short Answer Questions
1. Which prominent man in Hallowell did not like Isaac Foster?
2. Martha's diary was once included in a book about the history of which city?
3. What does Martha's diary provide to historians?
4. How many times in 27 years of midwife practice did Martha ever call a doctor?
5. What happens to Jonathan Ballard during his employment with Peter Jones at the mill?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)