|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Martha have?
2. What is the function of a midwife?
(d) Deliver babies
3. Physicians often doubled as what profession?
(b) Justice of the Peace
(d) Newspaper Editor
4. Which of the following was not one of Martha's professions?
5. What does Martha charge for each birth?
(a) 10 shillings
(b) 6 shillings
(c) 3 shillings
(d) 12 shillings
6. What was Martha Ballard's maiden name?
7. What is the bulk of Martha's diary?
(a) To-do list
(b) Daily activities
8. How are 18th century weddings described?
(a) Extremely reserved
(b) Over the top
(c) Big events
9. How many young women did Martha employ in her home between the years of 1785-1800?
10. In what year does Martha start her diary?
11. What is the epidemic in the summer of 1787?
(b) Scarlet fever
12. Who was expected to provide all the items for the newlyweds' new home?
(a) The groom
(b) The bride and groom
(c) The groom's parents
(d) The bride and her parents
13. In what town was Martha Ballard born?
(a) Oxford, England
(b) Oxford, Massachusetts
(c) Oxford, Mississippi
(d) Oxford, Ohio
14. What role did the men play in the delivery of a child?
(a) Cut the umbilical cord
(b) Boiled the water
(c) Cut the bandages
(d) Transported the midwife and nurses
15. Martha's success rate was ____________________.
(a) very high
(b) below average
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dr. Page?
2. Which of the following is not something Martha noted in her diary about each birth?
3. What happens to Jonathan Ballard during his employment with Peter Jones at the mill?
4. When could a man be charged with fornication?
5. Martha began to keep a diary because ___________________________.
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)