|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rebecca Foster accuse of raping her?
(a) Henry Sewall
(b) James Franklin
(c) Colonel North
(d) Thomas Sewall
2. Many New England tows were religiously divided between the strict ______________ and the liberals.
3. What is Isaac Foster's wife's name?
4. Where did young unwed mothers stay?
(a) With distant relatives
(b) With the preacher's wife
(c) With their lovers
(d) With their parents
5. How were the churches in each town supported?
(a) State taxes
(b) Congregation funds
(c) Town taxes
(d) Federal taxes
6. Many historians consider Martha's diary to be _____________.
(c) slightly interesting
7. What marked the end of the "lying-in" period for a new mother?
(a) When the baby was considered healthy
(b) When one month had passed
(c) When the relatives went home
(d) When she could make her own bed
8. How many babies is Martha delivering each year at this time?
9. With whom does Dolly Ballard apprentice as a dressmaker?
(a) Mrs. Dunham
(b) Mrs. Foster
(c) Mrs. Franklin
(d) Mrs. Densmore
10. How many children did Martha have?
11. Physicians often doubled as what profession?
(a) Justice of the Peace
(d) Newspaper Editor
12. What does young Ephraim do after the family's move?
(a) He plants a garden
(b) He buys a horse
(c) He works for neighbors
(d) He falls in love
13. What was a normal occurrence during courtship?
(a) having picnics
(b) going dancing
(c) going to church
(d) pre-marital sex
14. Martha's success rate was comparable to the statistics of the _______________.
15. What business did women handle during Martha's lifetime?
(a) Editorial work
(b) Unseen community business
(c) Education work
(d) Volunteer work
Short Answer Questions
1. Premarital sex in 18th century New England is considered to be ______________.
2. Which of the following is not something Martha noted in her diary about each birth?
3. Which of Martha's daughters spun yarn for weaving and trading?
4. Which of the following was not one of Martha's professions?
5. When could a man be charged with fornication?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)