|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Society during Martha's time was described as a ___________________.
(a) ripple in a pool
(c) spider's web
(d) blue-checked cloth
2. Where did Martha deep much of her accounting?
(a) Her kitchen cupboard
(b) Her desk drawer
(c) Her bedside table
(d) Her diary
3. How could birth be a dangerous process?
(a) If it was a breech birth
(b) If the baby was premature
(c) If the woman was alone
(d) If it was a multiple birth
4. What played an important role in selecting a marriage partner?
5. Premarital sex in 18th century New England is considered to be ______________.
(a) A crime
6. Martha's training was _________________________.
(a) manual and experimental
(b) traditional and manual
(c) literary and experimental
(d) traditional and experimental
7. What do Ephraim and Jonathan build for Martha?
(b) New cupboard
(c) Trundle bed
(d) Sewing room
8. Martha used her diary to _________________.
(a) track her businesses
(b) unload her problems
(c) vent about emotional problems
(d) complain about her husband
9. What was Martha always sure to include when she mentioned a man in her diary?
(a) His address
(b) His middle name
(c) His wife's name
(d) His title
10. Everyone knew that birth was a ______________ process.
11. What business did women handle during Martha's lifetime?
(a) Editorial work
(b) Education work
(c) Volunteer work
(d) Unseen community business
12. In what year was Martha Ballard born?
13. What did Martha use as purgatives?
(d) Marshmallow root
14. Martha began to keep a diary because ___________________________.
(a) She wanted to keep a medical log
(b) She had a hard time remembering appointments
(c) She wanted to pass her story to her children
(d) No one really knows
15. Whose illegitimate child does Martha deliver in October of 1791?
(a) Rebecca Densmore
(b) Rebecca Foster
(c) Sally Pierce
(d) Ellen Franklin
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Dolly Ballard apprentice as a dressmaker?
2. Delivering babies was left primarily to whom?
3. An unwed mother was required to _______________________.
4. Who moves into the Ballard house after their two daughters and niece leave to live with their new husbands?
5. What is the term used when the groom retrieves his bride from her parents' home?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)