|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what town was Martha Ballard born?
(a) Oxford, Ohio
(b) Oxford, Mississippi
(c) Oxford, England
(d) Oxford, Massachusetts
2. Where do Martha and Ephraim move their family?
(a) Henry Sewall's house
(b) The Mill Pond house
(c) Old Lieutenant Howard's house
(d) Captain North's house
3. How many babies did Martha deliver in 1793?
4. What is Isaac Foster's wife's name?
5. What role did the men play in the delivery of a child?
(a) Cut the umbilical cord
(b) Boiled the water
(c) Cut the bandages
(d) Transported the midwife and nurses
6. How long did brides remain with their parents after the marriage?
(a) 1 month
(b) 2 months
(c) 1 year
(d) 6 months
7. What is Martha's sister's name?
(a) Clara Barton
(b) Elizabeth Brown
(c) Dorothy Barton
(d) Dorothy Ballard
8. Which of Martha's daughters spun yarn for weaving and trading?
(a) Hannah and Dolly
(b) Molly and Ellen
(c) Hannah and Daisy
(d) Hannah and Molly
9. Martha's success rate was comparable to the statistics of the _______________.
10. Why does Dr. Page become a problem for Martha?
(a) He includes midwifery in his practice
(b) He sues her
(c) He opens his practice next door
(d) He makes slanderous comments about her
11. How could birth be a dangerous process?
(a) If the woman was alone
(b) If it was a breech birth
(c) If it was a multiple birth
(d) If the baby was premature
12. What happened to the man accused of raping Rebecca?
(a) He was acquitted
(b) He was exiled
(c) He was hanged
(d) He was imprisoned
13. Why does Martha think Dr. Page will not be successful?
(a) He is young and single
(b) He is too inexperienced
(c) He comes from a big city
(d) He has no connections in the town
14. Which of the following is not a product for which Martha used herbs?
15. Premarital sex in 18th century New England is considered to be ______________.
(c) A crime
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the relationship between doctors and midwives during this period?
2. What marked the end of the "lying-in" period for a new mother?
3. Martha strongly believed in _____________ to make her patients feel better.
4. What is Martha accused of taking from a neighbor?
5. Who does Rebecca Foster accuse of raping her?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)