|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many preachers was each town allowed?
2. How many people in the Ballard household get married in 1792?
3. How are 18th century weddings described?
(a) Big events
(c) Over the top
(d) Extremely reserved
4. How long had the Ballards been living at John Jones Mill?
(a) 10 years
(b) 7 years
(c) 3 years
(d) 5 years
5. What is Martha's sister's name?
(a) Dorothy Ballard
(b) Clara Barton
(c) Dorothy Barton
(d) Elizabeth Brown
6. Who is Ephraim Ballard?
(a) Martha's brother-in-law
(b) Martha's father-in-law
(c) Martha's first son
(d) Martha's husband
7. What is the state of Martha's accounts at this point?
(b) Could be better
8. Where do Martha and Ephraim move their family?
(a) Old Lieutenant Howard's house
(b) The Mill Pond house
(c) Captain North's house
(d) Henry Sewall's house
9. How many babies is Martha delivering each year at this time?
10. Where did young unwed mothers stay?
(a) With their parents
(b) With their lovers
(c) With distant relatives
(d) With the preacher's wife
11. What do Ephraim and Jonathan build for Martha?
(a) Trundle bed
(b) New cupboard
(c) Sewing room
12. In what year was Martha Ballard born?
13. What does Martha's diary provide to historians?
(a) A look at how medicine was dispersed
(b) A look at medical malpractice
(c) A look at the life of a pioneer woman
(d) A look at early American language
14. What business did men handle during Martha's lifetime?
(a) Public business
(b) Religious work
(c) Education work
(d) Legal work
15. Martha's success rate was ____________________.
(b) very high
(d) below average
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the churches in each town supported?
2. Who is Dr. Page?
3. How many people died during the epidemic in 1787?
4. Many historians consider Martha's diary to be _____________.
5. Where did Martha deep much of her accounting?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)