|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha experience for the first time during this period?
(a) The Baptism of her last child
(b) The death of a mother and child
(c) The first time she delivers a child
(d) The birth of her first child
2. What major problem does Martha have with living in the new house?
3. On what river does Martha spend much of her time?
(a) Kennebec River
(b) Colorado River
(c) Mississippi River
(d) Ohio River
4. What term did Martha use for a woman in labor?
5. How many children did Martha have?
6. Why does Dr. Page become a problem for Martha?
(a) He includes midwifery in his practice
(b) He makes slanderous comments about her
(c) He sues her
(d) He opens his practice next door
7. What was the death rate in Martha's town between the years of 1785 and 1790?
(a) 10 per 1500
(b) 50 per 1000
(c) 150 per 1000
(d) 15 per 1000
8. How many times in 27 years of midwife practice did Martha ever call a doctor?
9. What do Ephraim and Jonathan build for Martha?
(a) Sewing room
(c) New cupboard
(d) Trundle bed
10. Where did Martha deep much of her accounting?
(a) Her kitchen cupboard
(b) Her diary
(c) Her bedside table
(d) Her desk drawer
11. What is the bulk of Martha's diary?
(a) Daily activities
(b) To-do list
12. A physician's training was ___________________________.
(a) traditional and manual
(b) traditional and experimental
(c) experimental and manual
(d) experimental and literary
13. Delivering babies was left primarily to whom?
14. What is the function of a midwife?
(a) Deliver babies
15. What role did the men play in the delivery of a child?
(a) Transported the midwife and nurses
(b) Cut the umbilical cord
(c) Boiled the water
(d) Cut the bandages
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the birth to death ratio in Martha's town between the years of 1785 and 1790?
2. Why was Martha able to keep her daughters at home for the majority of their young adult lives?
3. Martha's success rate was comparable to the statistics of the _______________.
4. What does Martha charge for each birth?
5. What was Martha always sure to include when she mentioned a man in her diary?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)