|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what town was Martha Ballard born?
(a) Oxford, Massachusetts
(b) Oxford, Ohio
(c) Oxford, Mississippi
(d) Oxford, England
2. What happens to Jonathan Ballard during his employment with Peter Jones at the mill?
(a) He bought the business
(b) He was terminated
(c) He was promoted
(d) He was injured
3. Many men during Martha's lifetime thought that education for a woman was ________________.
4. Were marriages arranged in the 18th century?
5. What is the perception of midwives among those in authority?
6. What marked the end of the "lying-in" period for a new mother?
(a) When she could make her own bed
(b) When one month had passed
(c) When the baby was considered healthy
(d) When the relatives went home
7. What major problem does Martha have with living in the new house?
8. How many children did Martha have?
9. To what state do Martha and Ephraim move with their family?
(d) New York
10. What is the state of Martha's accounts at this point?
(d) Could be better
11. Why does Martha think Dr. Page will not be successful?
(a) He has no connections in the town
(b) He is too inexperienced
(c) He comes from a big city
(d) He is young and single
12. What are Mr. Densmore's occupations?
(a) Judge and tailor
(b) Farmer and tailor
(c) Farmer and lawyer
(d) Miller and tailor
13. What happened to the man accused of raping Rebecca?
(a) He was exiled
(b) He was acquitted
(c) He was hanged
(d) He was imprisoned
14. What was the relationship between doctors and midwives during this period?
15. How many preachers was each town allowed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the wife expected to make for the couple's new home?
2. Which of the following is not a product for which Martha used herbs?
3. Which of the following was not one of Martha's professions?
4. What played an important role in selecting a marriage partner?
5. What terms does Martha very seldom use for women in her diary?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)