|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Martha's success rate was ____________________.
(c) below average
(d) very high
2. Martha's training was _________________________.
(a) literary and experimental
(b) traditional and manual
(c) manual and experimental
(d) traditional and experimental
3. Which of the following was not one of Ephraim's professions?
(c) Tax collector
4. What was the wife expected to make for the couple's new home?
(b) A quilt
(c) New clothes
5. Who does Jonathan Ballard marry in February of 1792?
(a) Sally Pierce
(b) Rebecca Densmore
(c) Rebecca Foster
(d) Ellen Howe
6. What is the state of Martha's accounts at this point?
(c) Could be better
7. What does Martha charge for each birth?
(a) 10 shillings
(b) 12 shillings
(c) 3 shillings
(d) 6 shillings
8. Many historians consider Martha's diary to be _____________.
(a) slightly interesting
9. Which of the following was not one of Martha's professions?
10. Martha's medicines contained no more than _________ ingredients.
11. Who is Ephraim Ballard?
(a) Martha's father-in-law
(b) Martha's husband
(c) Martha's first son
(d) Martha's brother-in-law
12. Which prominent man in Hallowell did not like Isaac Foster?
(a) Thomas Sewall
(b) James Franklin
(c) Henry Sewall
(d) John Smith
13. What happens to Jonathan Ballard during his employment with Peter Jones at the mill?
(a) He was promoted
(b) He was injured
(c) He was terminated
(d) He bought the business
14. Martha began to keep a diary because ___________________________.
(a) She wanted to pass her story to her children
(b) She had a hard time remembering appointments
(c) She wanted to keep a medical log
(d) No one really knows
15. How many people in the Ballard household get married in 1792?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Martha have?
2. What was a normal occurrence during courtship?
3. Where did Martha deep much of her accounting?
4. What is Isaac Foster's wife's name?
5. In what town are the Ballards living in 1787?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)