|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the epidemic in the summer of 1787?
(a) Scarlet fever
2. What is the function of a midwife?
(b) Deliver babies
3. Which social and economic class had more out-of-wedlock births?
(a) The upper class
(b) The middle class
(c) The lower class
(d) Each class had an equal share
4. Martha's success rate was comparable to the statistics of the _______________.
5. What is the state of Martha's accounts at this point?
(b) Could be better
6. How many preachers was each town allowed?
7. In what year was Martha Ballard born?
8. Martha used her diary to _________________.
(a) vent about emotional problems
(b) unload her problems
(c) track her businesses
(d) complain about her husband
9. Many men during Martha's lifetime thought that education for a woman was ________________.
10. In what town are the Ballards living in 1787?
11. What was a normal occurrence during courtship?
(a) having picnics
(b) pre-marital sex
(c) going dancing
(d) going to church
12. In what town was Martha Ballard born?
(a) Oxford, Massachusetts
(b) Oxford, Ohio
(c) Oxford, Mississippi
(d) Oxford, England
13. What was Ephraim's profession?
(a) Surveyor and judge
(b) Lawyer and miller
(c) Lawyer and judge
(d) Surveyor and miller
14. How many people died during the epidemic in 1787?
15. Martha's training was _________________________.
(a) traditional and experimental
(b) manual and experimental
(c) literary and experimental
(d) traditional and manual
Short Answer Questions
1. What term did Martha use for a woman in labor?
2. Which of Martha's daughters spun yarn for weaving and trading?
3. How are 18th century weddings described?
4. What does Martha's diary provide to historians?
5. How many people in the Ballard household get married in 1792?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)