|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through October 1789.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What terms does Martha very seldom use for women in her diary?
(a) Lady or Mistress
(b) Lady or Mam
(c) Lady or Madam
(d) Dame or Mistress
2. Why was Martha able to keep her daughters at home for the majority of their young adult lives?
(a) She asked them to stay
(b) She would not let them marry
(c) She demanded that they stay
(d) She had enough money from her two businesses
3. What is Martha's sister's name?
(a) Dorothy Ballard
(b) Clara Barton
(c) Dorothy Barton
(d) Elizabeth Brown
4. Where did Martha deep much of her accounting?
(a) Her bedside table
(b) Her diary
(c) Her kitchen cupboard
(d) Her desk drawer
5. For how many years did Martha work as a midwife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the birth to death ratio in Martha's town between the years of 1785 and 1790?
2. On what river does Martha spend much of her time?
3. Martha's diary was once included in a book about the history of which city?
4. What does Martha charge for each birth?
5. Which of the following was not one of Martha's professions?
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)