|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was CYNTHIA?
2. Who was supposed to force a wedge between BSC and the OSS?
3. What ship was sunk in the area of Norway?
4. What enabled the the invasion fleet for North Africa pass through the Straights of Gibraltar?
5. What did Hoover not find credible?
Essay Topic 1
Chapter Twenty-Seven is about the agent Madeleine, whose real name was Noor Inayat Kahn. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
2. Another agent, "CNYTHIA" actually gets sexually involved with several men in order to gain access to important information. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
3. Should women be involved in intelligence work? Should women (or men for that matter) be asked to become sexually involved with others (especially married persons) in order to complete an assignment?
Essay Topic 2
Stevenson watched as Germany armed itself and prepared for war while England tried to pacify him. Discuss the following:
1. Why does England continue to try to pacify Hitler as it is obvious Germany is re-arming itself in violation of the agreements at the end of WWI?
2. Do you think England and other European countries should have taken the initiative to stop the Germans from gearing for war?
3. What do you think England could have done differently before Germany's invasion of Austria and then Poland?
Essay Topic 3
There is a time of one-hundred-and-fifty days that was known as the "Phony War." This consisted of communications between Churchill, coded "Naval Person" and Roosevelt coded "POTUS." Discuss the following:
1. Research the "Phony War" and write a brief informative essay about how it affected Great Britian, France, Germany and the United States.
2. Do you think anything could have been done during the Phony War to have averted a world war?
3. What event(s) precipitated the phony war into the real war? At this point, was war inevitable? Why or why not.
This section contains 2,802 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)