|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Brazil being used as by the Nazis?
2. Who had control of the heavy water plant in Norway?
3. How long did the Germans believe it would take them to conquer Russia?
4. What did Stevenson plant to imply a plot against President Vargas?
5. Who was skeptical of the plans for the North African invasion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bohr eventually leave Denmark and where does he go?
2. Briefly explain who "TRICYCLE" was and his involvement with the United States.
3. How did the Germans retaliate for the death of Heydrich and what was the result of the Germans' actions?
4. What did the BSC plan to do about Heydrich and what is one of his most despicable duties?
5. At what did operation JUBILEE succeed?
6. What was the purpose of operation JUBILEE and what did the Germans think was happening?
7. What did CYNTHIA discuss with CaptaiN Brousse and what does Stevenson decide to do in connection with what CYNTHIA learns?
8. What did the narrator write about the Vichy French?
9. Who was CYNTHIA?
10. Discuss operation TORCH.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter Twenty-Seven is about the agent Madeleine, whose real name was Noor Inayat Kahn. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
2. Another agent, "CNYTHIA" actually gets sexually involved with several men in order to gain access to important information. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
3. Should women be involved in intelligence work? Should women (or men for that matter) be asked to become sexually involved with others (especially married persons) in order to complete an assignment?
Essay Topic 2
King George V makes it clear he will not leave England if the Germans invade and will not collaborate with any German puppet government. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think King George's actions are admirable? Why or why not?
2. Research the monarchs of several other European countries and compare/contrast the actions of three other countries to that of King George in response to the threats from the Germans.
3. How do you think you would have responded as a King/Queen were Hitler to invade your country? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 3
Reinhard Heydrich hosts a party at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel trying to persuade prominent Americans to not supply England. The opportunities for trade with the new German empire would be enormous. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the involvement of American businesses and Germany prior to America's officially declaring war on Germany.
2. How do you think American businesses justified doing business with Germany? Do you think greed was involved? When does "good business sense" become greed?
3. Are American businesses legally allowed today to engage in commerce with a nation with whom the United States is involved in a declared war? How about an armed conflict? Is it fair for the government to regulate something like that? Why or why not? (Some of this may require some research).
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)