|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did CYNTHIA'S work accomplish?
2. What was spotted in Norway in May of 1941?
3. What operation succeeded in deceiving the enemy?
4. Who was supposed to force a wedge between BSC and the OSS?
5. How did the Brits send Bohr a message?
Short Essay Questions
1. What countries were trying to develop the atomic bomb and which country had the advantage?
2. Who did the Allies want to get out of Denmark and why?
3. Describe how the Bismarck was encountered in Norwegian waters by the Hood.
4. What did the Brits do to even the research race for the atomic bomb?
5. At what did operation JUBILEE succeed?
6. Who was Niels Bohr and why are the British interested in him?
7. Discuss operation TORCH.
8. How did Stevenson head off Nazi support in Brazil?
9. What was the purpose of operation JUBILEE and what did the Germans think was happening?
10. How were some large corporations in the United States helping the Nazi efforts at world domination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Without Adolf Hitler's rise to power, WWII may never have occurred--at least on the European front; therefore, an understanding of the state of Germany at that time is essential to understanding many of the references in the book. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on the state of Germany during the 2 decades prior to the outbreak of WWII. What is the economy like? What are the major political parties? What do they stand for? What is the make-up of the German society as far as religious, racial and class?
Essay Topic 2
Stevenson watched as Germany armed itself and prepared for war while England tried to pacify him. Discuss the following:
1. Why does England continue to try to pacify Hitler as it is obvious Germany is re-arming itself in violation of the agreements at the end of WWI?
2. Do you think England and other European countries should have taken the initiative to stop the Germans from gearing for war?
3. What do you think England could have done differently before Germany's invasion of Austria and then Poland?
Essay Topic 3
TRICYCLE delivered information of a planned Japanese attack of Pearl Harbor, using the tactics the British had used at Taranto. J. Edgar Hoover did not find TRICYCLE to be credible and he was moved to Camp X. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one man (in this case, J. Edgar Hoover) should have the power to decide on his own to not take action that could result in grave consequences?
2. Hoover is often presently as an adversary in A Man Called Intrepid: The Secret War. Thoroughly trace and analyze the information given about Hoover in A Man Called Intrepid: The Secret War. Do you think the information is biased? Why or why not? How would you rate Hoover's professional performance based upon what you have learned in A Man Called Intrepid: The Secret War. Use examples to back up your statements.
3. Compare/contrast J. Edgar Hoover to William Stevenson. How are they alike? How are they different? Compare their political views. How do they differ as regards the war in Europe? On what do they agree about the war in Europe? How do they compare on their views of the need for and use of intelligence gathering activities?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)