|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the German's revenge spark?
2. Why did the British sink the French fleet at Oran?
3. Who did CYNTHIA ask for help in obtaining the French naval ciphers?
4. What did Heydrich's plan for the Czech nation suggest?
5. Why did the lab and experiments of the man in #157 grow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Stevenson stymie money laundering efforts by the Nazis in Mexico?
2. Who did the Allies want to get out of Denmark and why?
3. How did the Germans retaliate for the death of Heydrich and what was the result of the Germans' actions?
4. Briefly explain who "TRICYCLE" was and his involvement with the United States.
5. What did the BSC plan to do about Heydrich and what is one of his most despicable duties?
6. Describe the assassination of Heydrich.
7. Describe the trials of trying to obtain the French naval ciphers.
8. What did the Russians want of the allies and what are the Russians considering?
9. Discuss operation TORCH.
10. What was the American involvement in the war at this point (May, 1941)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hitler was expanding his terror bombing to other English cities. Warning those population centers would give away their capability to break the German codes. No warnings were given. Later, when coded messages are broken about Hitler's imminent invasion of Russia, the intelligence community warns Russia but is not taken seriously because the BSC will not reveal their source. Discuss the following:
1. Is it moral to hold back information to save innocent civilian lives in order to keep Germany from knowing that its codes were compromised?
2. Many people would argue that it is for the greater good that some people had to suffer (i.e., those in cities who are bombed without warning). Does the concept of the "greater good" apply in this situation? Why or why not.
3. Do you think Russia could have done things any differently even if they had been warned about Hitler's imminent invasion? Explain fully. (This may require some research).
Essay Topic 2
The field of codes and ciphers played an important role in the war strategy of both the Allies and the Axis powers. Discuss the following:
1. Define and compare a code and a cipher.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of codes and ciphers throughout the book. Were they in use before WWII? When? How? How were codes and ciphers generated during WWII? How secure were codes and ciphers? Who had an edge on the other powers when it came to the use of codes and ciphers?
3. The Americans came up with a unique means of communicating securely by the use of "Navajo Code Talkers." Research and explain what that was about.
Essay Topic 3
Stevenson watched as Germany armed itself and prepared for war while England tried to pacify him. Discuss the following:
1. Why does England continue to try to pacify Hitler as it is obvious Germany is re-arming itself in violation of the agreements at the end of WWI?
2. Do you think England and other European countries should have taken the initiative to stop the Germans from gearing for war?
3. What do you think England could have done differently before Germany's invasion of Austria and then Poland?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)