|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Heydrich die?
2. Why was J. Edgar Hoover angry?
3. Why did the lab and experiments of the man in #157 grow?
4. What else did the operation in question #133 do?
5. What was under the atomic research lab in Copenhagen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the sinking of the Bismarck a few days later.
2. Who was CYNTHIA?
3. How were some large corporations in the United States helping the Nazi efforts at world domination?
4. Discuss operation TORCH.
5. Who did Bohr send out of Denmark with his notes and what happened?
6. Why did Bohr eventually leave Denmark and where does he go?
7. Where did Bohr and his son, Aage, ultimately end up?
8. What was the purpose of operation JUBILEE and what did the Germans think was happening?
9. What was the American involvement in the war at this point (May, 1941)?
10. Who did the Allies want to get out of Denmark and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is centered on the event known as World War II, it is useful grasp an overview of the war and its issues. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in Europe began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in Europe? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
2. In addition to WWII being fought in the European theater, a second, simultaneous war is fought in what becomes known as the Pacific Theater. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in the Pacific began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in the Pacific? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
3. Research and write an informative essay on how and why the war in both Europe and the Pacific arena end. Why do the aggressors seek peace? What are the terms of surrender? Are the aggressors treated fairly? Humanely?
Essay Topic 2
Plans for the assassination of Heydrich began in August 1941, even through they didn't carry out the plot until after Pearl Harbor. As Heydrich lay in a hospital dying, the Germans began a series of retributions by killing one hundred Czechs every evening. More killings followed as houses were searched. The people were killed in the village where the assassins had landed. The village of Lidice was burned to the ground. Discuss the following:
1. Is the act of assassination honorable? Justifiable? Should governments such as the United States condone and assist in assassinations? What about the idea of a fair trial? Does an assassination take that idea into account? Should it?
2. Do you think the BSC and OSS would have carried out the assassination of Heydrich had they known of the probable consequences? Why or why not? Was the assassination of one man worth the death of hundreds more?
3. Thoroughly discuss Henrich Heydrich and his role in the Nazi war machine and atrocities carried out by the Nazis.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter Twenty-Seven is about the agent Madeleine, whose real name was Noor Inayat Kahn. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
2. Another agent, "CNYTHIA" actually gets sexually involved with several men in order to gain access to important information. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
3. Should women be involved in intelligence work? Should women (or men for that matter) be asked to become sexually involved with others (especially married persons) in order to complete an assignment?
This section contains 1,456 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)