|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was captured in the St. Lawrence in December 1941?
2. What reached the Italian Embassy in Rio?
3. What did Bohr begin to work on in the United States?
4. When did the relations between British and American intelligence become strained?
5. What was under the atomic research lab in Copenhagen?
Essay Topic 1
Without Adolf Hitler's rise to power, WWII may never have occurred--at least on the European front; therefore, an understanding of the state of Germany at that time is essential to understanding many of the references in the book. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on the state of Germany during the 2 decades prior to the outbreak of WWII. What is the economy like? What are the major political parties? What do they stand for? What is the make-up of the German society as far as religious, racial and class?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 19, the narrator states that Ambassador Kennedy remained in London until Hitler began bombing London. The Roosevelt administration kept Kennedy in London as long as possible because they were afraid he would campaign against Roosevelt. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Franklin D. Roosevelt to Ambassador Joseph Kennedy. How are they alike? How are they different? Compare their political views. How do they differ as regards the war in Europe? On what do they agree about the war in Europe?
2. Do you think it is an ethical move to keep a potential candidate away in order to win an election? What about the in view of the fact that Joseph Kennedy is in a potentially dangerous situation?
3. Why do you think Roosevelt believed he was the best person for the job of President of the United States when the country is on the brink of war? (This may require a little research).
Essay Topic 3
The book is centered on the event known as World War II, it is useful grasp an overview of the war and its issues. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in Europe began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in Europe? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
2. In addition to WWII being fought in the European theater, a second, simultaneous war is fought in what becomes known as the Pacific Theater. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in the Pacific began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in the Pacific? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
3. Research and write an informative essay on how and why the war in both Europe and the Pacific arena end. Why do the aggressors seek peace? What are the terms of surrender? Are the aggressors treated fairly? Humanely?
This section contains 2,823 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)