|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was skeptical of the plans for the North African invasion?
2. What did Bohr refuse?
3. Who was left in Sweden after Bohr flew to England?
4. When did Hitler declare war on the United States?
5. Where was the German radar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Stevenson head off Nazi support in Brazil?
2. What did the Russians want of the allies and what are the Russians considering?
3. Describe the trials of trying to obtain the French naval ciphers.
4. Briefly explain who "TRICYCLE" was and his involvement with the United States.
5. What did the Brits do to even the research race for the atomic bomb?
6. Who was CYNTHIA?
7. How did Stevenson stymie money laundering efforts by the Nazis in Mexico?
8. How did the Germans retaliate for the death of Heydrich and what was the result of the Germans' actions?
9. What did CYNTHIA discuss with CaptaiN Brousse and what does Stevenson decide to do in connection with what CYNTHIA learns?
10. What did the narrator write about the Vichy French?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reinhard Heydrich hosts a party at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel trying to persuade prominent Americans to not supply England. The opportunities for trade with the new German empire would be enormous. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the involvement of American businesses and Germany prior to America's officially declaring war on Germany.
2. How do you think American businesses justified doing business with Germany? Do you think greed was involved? When does "good business sense" become greed?
3. Are American businesses legally allowed today to engage in commerce with a nation with whom the United States is involved in a declared war? How about an armed conflict? Is it fair for the government to regulate something like that? Why or why not? (Some of this may require some research).
Essay Topic 2
Without Adolf Hitler's rise to power, WWII may never have occurred--at least on the European front; therefore, an understanding of the state of Germany at that time is essential to understanding many of the references in the book. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on the state of Germany during the 2 decades prior to the outbreak of WWII. What is the economy like? What are the major political parties? What do they stand for? What is the make-up of the German society as far as religious, racial and class?
2. Read the book, Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler and write an informative essay about the ideas in the book.
3. Research and discuss Hitler's rise to power. What does he offer the German people? How is he received? Why do you think so many Germans listened to him?
Essay Topic 3
The book is centered on the event known as World War II, it is useful grasp an overview of the war and its issues. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in Europe began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in Europe? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
2. In addition to WWII being fought in the European theater, a second, simultaneous war is fought in what becomes known as the Pacific Theater. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in the Pacific began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in the Pacific? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
3. Research and write an informative essay on how and why the war in both Europe and the Pacific arena end. Why do the aggressors seek peace? What are the terms of surrender? Are the aggressors treated fairly? Humanely?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)