Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Roosevelt send to Britain?
2. To whom was CYNTHIA married?
3. Who ran their own activities from their Washington embassy?
4. What did the Germans spend years doing prior to WWII in the United States?
5. What reached the Italian Embassy in Rio?
Essay Topic 1
The book is concerned with the beginnings of modern-day intelligence gathering services. There have always been spies between enemies--but Stevenson's work takes the gathering of information to a much higher level of sophistication.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of spying throughout the book. Why do countries spy on each other? Is it an honorable occupation? Legal? Necessary? Give examples of how spying created advantages for the Allies. For the Axis.
2. Trace and analyze the creation and continued perfecting of technology used to enhance the gathering of intelligence. Did either the Allies or Axis have superior technology? What is the technology? Why does one side (if so) have more sophisticated technology over the other?
3. In many countries, spying, though considered necessary, is also looked at with a certain degree of distaste. Trace and analyze the attitude toward spies and spying in the book. Are spies considered honorable? What happens to spies caught behind enemy lines? Is spying moral?
Essay Topic 2
Politics plays an integral and important role in much of Stevenson's work and in how the various factions side with either the Allies or Axis powers. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss three situations in the book where politics plays a critical role in the outcome of the situation. Who are the principle players? What are the issues involved? Were there any "dirty" politics involved?
2. Is there any way to keep politics and war separate? Would it be a good idea to do so? Why or why not.
3. Do you feel any differently to Roosevelt knowing he chose to keep a potential challenger unable to do so? Do you think Roosevelt had the best chance of guiding the United States through WWII?
Essay Topic 3
King George V makes it clear he will not leave England if the Germans invade and will not collaborate with any German puppet government. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think King George's actions are admirable? Why or why not?
2. Research the monarchs of several other European countries and compare/contrast the actions of three other countries to that of King George in response to the threats from the Germans.
3. How do you think you would have responded as a King/Queen were Hitler to invade your country? Explain fully.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)