|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Churchill learn when he and Roosevelt met on June 17?
2. How did the Germans retaliate for Heydrich's death?
3. What did Stevenson wire Churchill about Donovan?
4. What did CYNTHIA obtain from a former lover?
5. What was captured in the St. Lawrence in December 1941?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Bohr and his son, Aage, ultimately end up?
2. Who did the Allies want to get out of Denmark and why?
3. What was the purpose of operation JUBILEE and what did the Germans think was happening?
4. What did CYNTHIA discuss with CaptaiN Brousse and what does Stevenson decide to do in connection with what CYNTHIA learns?
5. What did the narrator write about the Vichy French?
6. At what did operation JUBILEE succeed?
7. Why did Bohr eventually leave Denmark and where does he go?
8. Who did Bohr send out of Denmark with his notes and what happened?
9. Describe the assassination of Heydrich.
10. What did the Brits do to even the research race for the atomic bomb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stevenson watched as Germany armed itself and prepared for war while England tried to pacify him. Discuss the following:
1. Why does England continue to try to pacify Hitler as it is obvious Germany is re-arming itself in violation of the agreements at the end of WWI?
2. Do you think England and other European countries should have taken the initiative to stop the Germans from gearing for war?
3. What do you think England could have done differently before Germany's invasion of Austria and then Poland?
Essay Topic 2
Without Adolf Hitler's rise to power, WWII may never have occurred--at least on the European front; therefore, an understanding of the state of Germany at that time is essential to understanding many of the references in the book. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on the state of Germany during the 2 decades prior to the outbreak of WWII. What is the economy like? What are the major political parties? What do they stand for? What is the make-up of the German society as far as religious, racial and class?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 19, the narrator states that Ambassador Kennedy remained in London until Hitler began bombing London. The Roosevelt administration kept Kennedy in London as long as possible because they were afraid he would campaign against Roosevelt. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Franklin D. Roosevelt to Ambassador Joseph Kennedy. How are they alike? How are they different? Compare their political views. How do they differ as regards the war in Europe? On what do they agree about the war in Europe?
2. Do you think it is an ethical move to keep a potential candidate away in order to win an election? What about the in view of the fact that Joseph Kennedy is in a potentially dangerous situation?
3. Why do you think Roosevelt believed he was the best person for the job of President of the United States when the country is on the brink of war? (This may require a little research).
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)