|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Hitler declare war on the United States?
2. What else did the operation in question #133 do?
3. Where was an assassination team waiting to kill Heydrich?
4. What did CYNTHIA'S work accomplish?
5. Through whom did the United States pass arms to the British?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did J. Edgar Hoover get angry and how does Stevenson try to appease the man?
2. What was the American involvement in the war at this point (May, 1941)?
3. Describe how the Bismarck was encountered in Norwegian waters by the Hood.
4. Who was Niels Bohr and why are the British interested in him?
5. Who did Bohr send out of Denmark with his notes and what happened?
6. How did the BSC set up Hitler to believe that Heydrich's death was "in the stars"?
7. What did the Russians want of the allies and what are the Russians considering?
8. How did the Germans retaliate for the death of Heydrich and what was the result of the Germans' actions?
9. Why did Bohr eventually leave Denmark and where does he go?
10. What did CYNTHIA discuss with CaptaiN Brousse and what does Stevenson decide to do in connection with what CYNTHIA learns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stevenson watched as Germany armed itself and prepared for war while England tried to pacify him. Discuss the following:
1. Why does England continue to try to pacify Hitler as it is obvious Germany is re-arming itself in violation of the agreements at the end of WWI?
2. Do you think England and other European countries should have taken the initiative to stop the Germans from gearing for war?
3. What do you think England could have done differently before Germany's invasion of Austria and then Poland?
Essay Topic 2
The book is centered on the event known as World War II, it is useful grasp an overview of the war and its issues. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in Europe began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in Europe? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
2. In addition to WWII being fought in the European theater, a second, simultaneous war is fought in what becomes known as the Pacific Theater. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in the Pacific began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in the Pacific? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
3. Research and write an informative essay on how and why the war in both Europe and the Pacific arena end. Why do the aggressors seek peace? What are the terms of surrender? Are the aggressors treated fairly? Humanely?
Essay Topic 3
Plans for the assassination of Heydrich began in August 1941, even through they didn't carry out the plot until after Pearl Harbor. As Heydrich lay in a hospital dying, the Germans began a series of retributions by killing one hundred Czechs every evening. More killings followed as houses were searched. The people were killed in the village where the assassins had landed. The village of Lidice was burned to the ground. Discuss the following:
1. Is the act of assassination honorable? Justifiable? Should governments such as the United States condone and assist in assassinations? What about the idea of a fair trial? Does an assassination take that idea into account? Should it?
2. Do you think the BSC and OSS would have carried out the assassination of Heydrich had they known of the probable consequences? Why or why not? Was the assassination of one man worth the death of hundreds more?
3. Thoroughly discuss Henrich Heydrich and his role in the Nazi war machine and atrocities carried out by the Nazis.
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)