|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the British and Americans want to get out of Denmark?
2. What did the men throw at Heydrich's car as it passed them?
3. What were the Russians considering?
4. What did Hoover not find credible?
5. Who was skeptical of the plans for the North African invasion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the problems that were occurring in the British and American intelligence communities after TORCH.
2. Where did Bohr and his son, Aage, ultimately end up?
3. What was the purpose of operation JUBILEE and what did the Germans think was happening?
4. At what did operation JUBILEE succeed?
5. How did Stevenson stymie money laundering efforts by the Nazis in Mexico?
6. How did Stevenson head off Nazi support in Brazil?
7. Describe the assassination of Heydrich.
8. Describe the trials of trying to obtain the French naval ciphers.
9. Who did Bohr send out of Denmark with his notes and what happened?
10. Who was CYNTHIA?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Politics plays an integral and important role in much of Stevenson's work and in how the various factions side with either the Allies or Axis powers. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss three situations in the book where politics plays a critical role in the outcome of the situation. Who are the principle players? What are the issues involved? Were there any "dirty" politics involved?
2. Is there any way to keep politics and war separate? Would it be a good idea to do so? Why or why not.
3. Do you feel any differently to Roosevelt knowing he chose to keep a potential challenger unable to do so? Do you think Roosevelt had the best chance of guiding the United States through WWII?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter Twenty-Seven is about the agent Madeleine, whose real name was Noor Inayat Kahn. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
2. Another agent, "CNYTHIA" actually gets sexually involved with several men in order to gain access to important information. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
3. Should women be involved in intelligence work? Should women (or men for that matter) be asked to become sexually involved with others (especially married persons) in order to complete an assignment?
Essay Topic 3
Britain was close to being bankrupt at fairly early in the war against Germany. Discuss the following:
1. How do countries finance wars?
2. Why don't you think the prohibitive cost of wars doesn't seem to serve as a deterrent to war?
3. Discuss some of the other costs of war. Is any goal of war worth these costs? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)