Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Roosevelt send to Britain?
2. To whom was CYNTHIA married?
3. Who ran their own activities from their Washington embassy?
4. What did the Germans spend years doing prior to WWII in the United States?
5. What reached the Italian Embassy in Rio?
Politics plays an integral and important role in much of Stevenson's work and in how the various factions side with either the Allies or Axis powers. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss three situations in the book where politics plays a critical role in the outcome of the situation. Who are the principle players? What are the issues involved? Were there any "dirty" politics involved?
2. Is there any way to keep politics and war separate? Would it be a good idea to do so? Why or why not.
3. Do you feel any differently to Roosevelt knowing he chose to keep a potential challenger unable to do so? Do you think Roosevelt had the best chance of guiding the United States through WWII?
Stevenson watched as Germany armed itself and prepared for war while England tried to pacify him. Discuss the following:
1. Why does England continue to try to pacify Hitler as it is obvious Germany is re-arming itself in violation of the agreements at the end of WWI?
2. Do you think England and other European countries should have taken the initiative to stop the Germans from gearing for war?
3. What do you think England could have done differently before Germany's invasion of Austria and then Poland?
Churchill realized there was no way to force Roosevelt's hand in entering the war. The declaration could only come from Congress. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the writers of the Constitution made it so that Congress has to be the branch of government to declare war?
2. What do you think are a few justifiable reasons to declare war on another country? Do you think the United States was justified in declaring war on Germany? Why or why not.
3. Describe how, according to the book A Man Called Intrepid: The Secret War, Roosevelt helps England as much as possible until the American people and Congress decide to enter the war on the side of the Allies.
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)