|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seemed to have the greatest chance of being first to develop the atomic bomb?
2. Who was "TRICYCLE"?
3. How long did the Germans believe it would take them to conquer Russia?
4. What enabled the the invasion fleet for North Africa pass through the Straights of Gibraltar?
5. What did Stevenson wire Churchill about Donovan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Stevenson head off Nazi support in Brazil?
2. Who did the Allies want to get out of Denmark and why?
3. What was the purpose of operation JUBILEE and what did the Germans think was happening?
4. What did J. Edgar Hoover get angry and how does Stevenson try to appease the man?
5. Describe the trials of trying to obtain the French naval ciphers.
6. Where did Bohr and his son, Aage, ultimately end up?
7. What did the BSC plan to do about Heydrich and what is one of his most despicable duties?
8. Who did Bohr send out of Denmark with his notes and what happened?
9. Describe the problems that were occurring in the British and American intelligence communities after TORCH.
10. What did the Brits do to even the research race for the atomic bomb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The field of codes and ciphers played an important role in the war strategy of both the Allies and the Axis powers. Discuss the following:
1. Define and compare a code and a cipher.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of codes and ciphers throughout the book. Were they in use before WWII? When? How? How were codes and ciphers generated during WWII? How secure were codes and ciphers? Who had an edge on the other powers when it came to the use of codes and ciphers?
3. The Americans came up with a unique means of communicating securely by the use of "Navajo Code Talkers." Research and explain what that was about.
Essay Topic 2
There is a time of one-hundred-and-fifty days that was known as the "Phony War." This consisted of communications between Churchill, coded "Naval Person" and Roosevelt coded "POTUS." Discuss the following:
1. Research the "Phony War" and write a brief informative essay about how it affected Great Britian, France, Germany and the United States.
2. Do you think anything could have been done during the Phony War to have averted a world war?
3. What event(s) precipitated the phony war into the real war? At this point, was war inevitable? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Without Adolf Hitler's rise to power, WWII may never have occurred--at least on the European front; therefore, an understanding of the state of Germany at that time is essential to understanding many of the references in the book. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on the state of Germany during the 2 decades prior to the outbreak of WWII. What is the economy like? What are the major political parties? What do they stand for? What is the make-up of the German society as far as religious, racial and class?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)