|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Germans retaliate for Heydrich's death?
2. What did CYNTHIA'S work accomplish?
3. When did Hitler declare war on the United States?
4. Who worked at British Intelligence in a sensitive position?
5. What correspondence was CYNTHIA asked to obtain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Germans retaliate for the death of Heydrich and what was the result of the Germans' actions?
2. Who was Niels Bohr and why are the British interested in him?
3. How did the BSC set up Hitler to believe that Heydrich's death was "in the stars"?
4. What was the American involvement in the war at this point (May, 1941)?
5. At what did operation JUBILEE succeed?
6. How did Stevenson head off Nazi support in Brazil?
7. Describe the trials of trying to obtain the French naval ciphers.
8. What did the BSC plan to do about Heydrich and what is one of his most despicable duties?
9. What did the narrator write about the Vichy French?
10. How did Stevenson stymie money laundering efforts by the Nazis in Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stevenson watched as Germany armed itself and prepared for war while England tried to pacify him. Discuss the following:
1. Why does England continue to try to pacify Hitler as it is obvious Germany is re-arming itself in violation of the agreements at the end of WWI?
2. Do you think England and other European countries should have taken the initiative to stop the Germans from gearing for war?
3. What do you think England could have done differently before Germany's invasion of Austria and then Poland?
Essay Topic 2
Without Adolf Hitler's rise to power, WWII may never have occurred--at least on the European front; therefore, an understanding of the state of Germany at that time is essential to understanding many of the references in the book. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on the state of Germany during the 2 decades prior to the outbreak of WWII. What is the economy like? What are the major political parties? What do they stand for? What is the make-up of the German society as far as religious, racial and class?
Essay Topic 3
Britain was close to being bankrupt at fairly early in the war against Germany. Discuss the following:
1. How do countries finance wars?
2. Why don't you think the prohibitive cost of wars doesn't seem to serve as a deterrent to war?
3. Discuss some of the other costs of war. Is any goal of war worth these costs? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)