|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the men throw at Heydrich's car as it passed them?
2. Why did the lab and experiments of the man in #157 grow?
3. What did the Germans spend years doing prior to WWII in the United States?
4. To whom was CYNTHIA married?
5. Who did Roosevelt send to Britain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King George V makes it clear he will not leave England if the Germans invade and will not collaborate with any German puppet government. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think King George's actions are admirable? Why or why not?
2. Research the monarchs of several other European countries and compare/contrast the actions of three other countries to that of King George in response to the threats from the Germans.
3. How do you think you would have responded as a King/Queen were Hitler to invade your country? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 19, the narrator states that Ambassador Kennedy remained in London until Hitler began bombing London. The Roosevelt administration kept Kennedy in London as long as possible because they were afraid he would campaign against Roosevelt. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Franklin D. Roosevelt to Ambassador Joseph Kennedy. How are they alike? How are they different? Compare their political views. How do they differ as regards the war in Europe? On what do they agree about the war in Europe?
2. Do you think it is an ethical move to keep a potential candidate away in order to win an election? What about the in view of the fact that Joseph Kennedy is in a potentially dangerous situation?
3. Why do you think Roosevelt believed he was the best person for the job of President of the United States when the country is on the brink of war? (This may require a little research).
Essay Topic 3
Reinhard Heydrich hosts a party at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel trying to persuade prominent Americans to not supply England. The opportunities for trade with the new German empire would be enormous. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the involvement of American businesses and Germany prior to America's officially declaring war on Germany.
2. How do you think American businesses justified doing business with Germany? Do you think greed was involved? When does "good business sense" become greed?
3. Are American businesses legally allowed today to engage in commerce with a nation with whom the United States is involved in a declared war? How about an armed conflict? Is it fair for the government to regulate something like that? Why or why not? (Some of this may require some research).
This section contains 2,818 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)