|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was spotted in Norway in May of 1941?
2. What helped make the D-Day invasion easier for Allied bombers?
3. What was assembled to give the impression of an invasion at Dieppe?
4. Why did the lab and experiments of the man in #157 grow?
5. To whom was CYNTHIA married?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were some large corporations in the United States helping the Nazi efforts at world domination?
2. Who was CYNTHIA?
3. Describe the sinking of the Bismarck a few days later.
4. What was the purpose of operation JUBILEE and what did the Germans think was happening?
5. How did Stevenson head off Nazi support in Brazil?
6. Describe the trials of trying to obtain the French naval ciphers.
7. What did the BSC plan to do about Heydrich and what is one of his most despicable duties?
8. What did the Russians want of the allies and what are the Russians considering?
9. Where did Bohr and his son, Aage, ultimately end up?
10. Who did Bohr send out of Denmark with his notes and what happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roosevelt wanted American action to guarantee the British supply lines but was limited by public opinion. American advisers were sent to Britain. The role of the American crew on the British plane was kept a secret for thirty-two years. Discuss the following:
1. In a democracy that is supposedly for and by the people, is it right to keep information from the public when it is no longer of any strategic significance? Discuss this idea fully.
2. Research and discuss the "Freedom of Information Act" and how it may have affected the release of information to the American public during WWII or shortly thereafter.
3. Do you think most governments keep too many secrets? Or not enough? Discuss in light of A Man Called Intrepid: The Secret War and your own research.
Essay Topic 2
Churchill realized there was no way to force Roosevelt's hand in entering the war. The declaration could only come from Congress. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the writers of the Constitution made it so that Congress has to be the branch of government to declare war?
2. What do you think are a few justifiable reasons to declare war on another country? Do you think the United States was justified in declaring war on Germany? Why or why not.
3. Describe how, according to the book A Man Called Intrepid: The Secret War, Roosevelt helps England as much as possible until the American people and Congress decide to enter the war on the side of the Allies.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter Twenty-Seven is about the agent Madeleine, whose real name was Noor Inayat Kahn. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
2. Another agent, "CNYTHIA" actually gets sexually involved with several men in order to gain access to important information. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
3. Should women be involved in intelligence work? Should women (or men for that matter) be asked to become sexually involved with others (especially married persons) in order to complete an assignment?
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)