|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had control of the heavy water plant in Norway?
2. What did CYNTHIA obtain from a former lover?
3. From where had the last four men of the assassination team come?
4. Who ran their own activities from their Washington embassy?
5. Who did CYNTHIA ask for help in obtaining the French naval ciphers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Brits do to even the research race for the atomic bomb?
2. How did the Germans retaliate for the death of Heydrich and what was the result of the Germans' actions?
3. Why did Bohr eventually leave Denmark and where does he go?
4. Describe the trials of trying to obtain the French naval ciphers.
5. How did the BSC set up Hitler to believe that Heydrich's death was "in the stars"?
6. Where did Bohr and his son, Aage, ultimately end up?
7. How did Stevenson stymie money laundering efforts by the Nazis in Mexico?
8. What was the American involvement in the war at this point (May, 1941)?
9. Describe the assassination of Heydrich.
10. What did the Russians want of the allies and what are the Russians considering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Churchill appoints Stevenson the director of His Majesty's Secret Intelligence Services and gives him a great deal of latitude in performing his duties. The organization was known as the BSC or British Security Coordination and it established headquarters in New York City. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the BSC chooses to headquarter in New York City? Does it seem like a good choice to you? Why or why not.
2. Do you think the United States would tolerate an intelligence-gathering organization from another country to operate freely and openly today? Why or why not? What if it were an ally in a wartime situation?
3. What do you think were the advantages and disadvantages of having the BSC headquartered in New York City?
Essay Topic 2
Stevenson watched as Germany armed itself and prepared for war while England tried to pacify him. Discuss the following:
1. Why does England continue to try to pacify Hitler as it is obvious Germany is re-arming itself in violation of the agreements at the end of WWI?
2. Do you think England and other European countries should have taken the initiative to stop the Germans from gearing for war?
3. What do you think England could have done differently before Germany's invasion of Austria and then Poland?
Essay Topic 3
Without Adolf Hitler's rise to power, WWII may never have occurred--at least on the European front; therefore, an understanding of the state of Germany at that time is essential to understanding many of the references in the book. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on the state of Germany during the 2 decades prior to the outbreak of WWII. What is the economy like? What are the major political parties? What do they stand for? What is the make-up of the German society as far as religious, racial and class?
2. Read the book, Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler and write an informative essay about the ideas in the book.
3. Research and discuss Hitler's rise to power. What does he offer the German people? How is he received? Why do you think so many Germans listened to him?
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)