|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Stevenson discover through his message interception network?
2. Why did Hitler fail to crush the British troops in France?
3. What was canceled due to the protests of the royalty of various countries?
4. What name did Churchill and Stevenson choose?
5. What sendt Hitler into a rage that results in the heavy bombing of Belgrade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Stevenson learn from his network in Sweden?
2. Where did the King and Queen of England go and what did the King make clear?
3. What was happening At Bletchley with the Enigma?
4. What was the problem with the sea lanes and what is done?
5. Why did Ambassador Kennedy remain in London until Hitler began bombing the city?
6. What was the Phony War?
7. How was intelligence work in England and the United States developing during the time just before the outbreak of WWII?
8. What sent Hitler into a rage; what does he do, and what is the result of Hitler's actions?
9. What were Stevenson and Donovan doing just before Hitler's invasion of Russia?
10. How did Donovan become more involved with Stevenson's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hitler was expanding his terror bombing to other English cities. Warning those population centers would give away their capability to break the German codes. No warnings were given. Later, when coded messages are broken about Hitler's imminent invasion of Russia, the intelligence community warns Russia but is not taken seriously because the BSC will not reveal their source. Discuss the following:
1. Is it moral to hold back information to save innocent civilian lives in order to keep Germany from knowing that its codes were compromised?
2. Many people would argue that it is for the greater good that some people had to suffer (i.e., those in cities who are bombed without warning). Does the concept of the "greater good" apply in this situation? Why or why not.
3. Do you think Russia could have done things any differently even if they had been warned about Hitler's imminent invasion? Explain fully. (This may require some research).
Essay Topic 2
Stevenson watched as Germany armed itself and prepared for war while England tried to pacify him. Discuss the following:
1. Why does England continue to try to pacify Hitler as it is obvious Germany is re-arming itself in violation of the agreements at the end of WWI?
2. Do you think England and other European countries should have taken the initiative to stop the Germans from gearing for war?
3. What do you think England could have done differently before Germany's invasion of Austria and then Poland?
Essay Topic 3
There is a time of one-hundred-and-fifty days that was known as the "Phony War." This consisted of communications between Churchill, coded "Naval Person" and Roosevelt coded "POTUS." Discuss the following:
1. Research the "Phony War" and write a brief informative essay about how it affected Great Britian, France, Germany and the United States.
2. Do you think anything could have been done during the Phony War to have averted a world war?
3. What event(s) precipitated the phony war into the real war? At this point, was war inevitable? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)