|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company did Stevenson form with two other men?
2. What did Roosevelt promise the King and Queen of England?
3. What did the network of amateur Swede code breakers intercept?
4. What did the British capture just before the invasion of Poland by Germany?
5. Of what ddi Stevenson recognize the implications concerning Germany's intelligence and codes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was taking place in Germany in the early 1920s and how does that influence Stevenson?
2. What was the problem with the sea lanes and what is done?
3. How did Stevenson and Donovan try to delay Hitler's invasion of Russia?
4. What did CYNTHIA discuss with CaptaiN Brousse and what does Stevenson decide to do in connection with what CYNTHIA learns?
5. Who did the Allies want to get out of Denmark and why?
6. How did William Stevenson get into the field of communications?
7. Where did Bohr and his son, Aage, ultimately end up?
8. What did Roosevelt realize about Germany and its system of codes?
9. What was happening At Bletchley with the Enigma?
10. Discuss Camp X.
Essay Topic 1
The book is centered on the event known as World War II, it is useful grasp an overview of the war and its issues. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in Europe began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in Europe? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
2. In addition to WWII being fought in the European theater, a second, simultaneous war is fought in what becomes known as the Pacific Theater. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in the Pacific began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in the Pacific? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
3. Research and write an informative essay on how and why the war in both Europe and the Pacific arena end. Why do the aggressors seek peace? What are the terms of surrender? Are the aggressors treated fairly? Humanely?
Essay Topic 2
Stevenson watched as Germany armed itself and prepared for war while England tried to pacify him. Discuss the following:
1. Why does England continue to try to pacify Hitler as it is obvious Germany is re-arming itself in violation of the agreements at the end of WWI?
2. Do you think England and other European countries should have taken the initiative to stop the Germans from gearing for war?
3. What do you think England could have done differently before Germany's invasion of Austria and then Poland?
Essay Topic 3
Britain was close to being bankrupt at fairly early in the war against Germany. Discuss the following:
1. How do countries finance wars?
2. Why don't you think the prohibitive cost of wars doesn't seem to serve as a deterrent to war?
3. Discuss some of the other costs of war. Is any goal of war worth these costs? Why or why not.
This section contains 3,513 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)