|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why weren't warnings given to some British cities of imminent German attack?
2. What did ships from the United States to Lisbon receive when they stopped in Bermuda?
3. What company did Stevenson form with two other men?
4. What was Stevenson's cover occupation?
5. What was one thing Stevenson saw a value in during the time between world wars?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was intelligence work in England and the United States developing during the time just before the outbreak of WWII?
2. Give a few facts about William Stevenson.
3. What was happening At Bletchley with the Enigma?
4. What was the problem with the sea lanes and what is done?
5. How were reports sent out from Bermuda?
6. What began on July 10,1940, and how does Britain respond?
7. What did Stevenson want of Roosevelt, and why was Roosevelt dragging his feet?
8. Where did the King and Queen of England go and what did the King make clear?
9. What did Heydrich try to accomplish by his party in New York City?
10. How did Donovan become more involved with Stevenson's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter Twenty-Seven is about the agent Madeleine, whose real name was Noor Inayat Kahn. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
2. Another agent, "CNYTHIA" actually gets sexually involved with several men in order to gain access to important information. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
3. Should women be involved in intelligence work? Should women (or men for that matter) be asked to become sexually involved with others (especially married persons) in order to complete an assignment?
Essay Topic 2
Churchill appoints Stevenson the director of His Majesty's Secret Intelligence Services and gives him a great deal of latitude in performing his duties. The organization was known as the BSC or British Security Coordination and it established headquarters in New York City. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the BSC chooses to headquarter in New York City? Does it seem like a good choice to you? Why or why not.
2. Do you think the United States would tolerate an intelligence-gathering organization from another country to operate freely and openly today? Why or why not? What if it were an ally in a wartime situation?
3. What do you think were the advantages and disadvantages of having the BSC headquartered in New York City?
Essay Topic 3
King George V makes it clear he will not leave England if the Germans invade and will not collaborate with any German puppet government. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think King George's actions are admirable? Why or why not?
2. Research the monarchs of several other European countries and compare/contrast the actions of three other countries to that of King George in response to the threats from the Germans.
3. How do you think you would have responded as a King/Queen were Hitler to invade your country? Explain fully.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)