|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the BSC or British Security Coordination establish its headquarters?
2. Where did Ian Fleming train?
3. What were the Americans doing in the field of codes?
4. How long did the bombing of Belgrade delay Hitler's invasion of Russia?
5. Why did Sir Henry Tizard bring an assortment of confidential information to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Phony War?
2. How did Stevenson and Donovan try to delay Hitler's invasion of Russia?
3. Describe the growth of the Intrepid network into Bermuda.
4. Give a few facts about William Stevenson.
5. What did Roosevelt realize about Germany and its system of codes?
6. What were Stevenson and Donovan doing just before Hitler's invasion of Russia?
7. What sent Hitler into a rage; what does he do, and what is the result of Hitler's actions?
8. How was intelligence work in England and the United States developing during the time just before the outbreak of WWII?
9. What began on July 10,1940, and how does Britain respond?
10. How did Donovan become more involved with Stevenson's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King George V makes it clear he will not leave England if the Germans invade and will not collaborate with any German puppet government. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think King George's actions are admirable? Why or why not?
2. Research the monarchs of several other European countries and compare/contrast the actions of three other countries to that of King George in response to the threats from the Germans.
3. How do you think you would have responded as a King/Queen were Hitler to invade your country? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 2
Churchill realized there was no way to force Roosevelt's hand in entering the war. The declaration could only come from Congress. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the writers of the Constitution made it so that Congress has to be the branch of government to declare war?
2. What do you think are a few justifiable reasons to declare war on another country? Do you think the United States was justified in declaring war on Germany? Why or why not.
3. Describe how, according to the book A Man Called Intrepid: The Secret War, Roosevelt helps England as much as possible until the American people and Congress decide to enter the war on the side of the Allies.
Essay Topic 3
TRICYCLE delivered information of a planned Japanese attack of Pearl Harbor, using the tactics the British had used at Taranto. J. Edgar Hoover did not find TRICYCLE to be credible and he was moved to Camp X. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one man (in this case, J. Edgar Hoover) should have the power to decide on his own to not take action that could result in grave consequences?
2. Hoover is often presently as an adversary in A Man Called Intrepid: The Secret War. Thoroughly trace and analyze the information given about Hoover in A Man Called Intrepid: The Secret War. Do you think the information is biased? Why or why not? How would you rate Hoover's professional performance based upon what you have learned in A Man Called Intrepid: The Secret War. Use examples to back up your statements.
3. Compare/contrast J. Edgar Hoover to William Stevenson. How are they alike? How are they different? Compare their political views. How do they differ as regards the war in Europe? On what do they agree about the war in Europe? How do they compare on their views of the need for and use of intelligence gathering activities?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)