Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company did Stevenson form with two other men?
2. What did Roosevelt promise the King and Queen of England?
3. What did the network of amateur Swede code breakers intercept?
4. What did the British capture just before the invasion of Poland by Germany?
5. Of what ddi Stevenson recognize the implications concerning Germany's intelligence and codes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was taking place in Germany in the early 1920s and how does that influence Stevenson?
2. What was the problem with the sea lanes and what is done?
3. How did Stevenson and Donovan try to delay Hitler's invasion of Russia?
4. What did CYNTHIA discuss with CaptaiN Brousse and what does Stevenson decide to do in connection with what CYNTHIA learns?
5. Who did the Allies want to get out of Denmark and why?
6. How did William Stevenson get into the field of communications?
7. Where did Bohr and his son, Aage, ultimately end up?
8. What did Roosevelt realize about Germany and its system of codes?
9. What was happening At Bletchley with the Enigma?
10. Discuss Camp X.
Essay Topic 1
Churchill appoints Stevenson the director of His Majesty's Secret Intelligence Services and gives him a great deal of latitude in performing his duties. The organization was known as the BSC or British Security Coordination and it established headquarters in New York City. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the BSC chooses to headquarter in New York City? Does it seem like a good choice to you? Why or why not.
2. Do you think the United States would tolerate an intelligence-gathering organization from another country to operate freely and openly today? Why or why not? What if it were an ally in a wartime situation?
3. What do you think were the advantages and disadvantages of having the BSC headquartered in New York City?
Essay Topic 2
Stevenson watched as Germany armed itself and prepared for war while England tried to pacify him. Discuss the following:
1. Why does England continue to try to pacify Hitler as it is obvious Germany is re-arming itself in violation of the agreements at the end of WWI?
2. Do you think England and other European countries should have taken the initiative to stop the Germans from gearing for war?
3. What do you think England could have done differently before Germany's invasion of Austria and then Poland?
Essay Topic 3
Plans for the assassination of Heydrich began in August 1941, even through they didn't carry out the plot until after Pearl Harbor. As Heydrich lay in a hospital dying, the Germans began a series of retributions by killing one hundred Czechs every evening. More killings followed as houses were searched. The people were killed in the village where the assassins had landed. The village of Lidice was burned to the ground. Discuss the following:
1. Is the act of assassination honorable? Justifiable? Should governments such as the United States condone and assist in assassinations? What about the idea of a fair trial? Does an assassination take that idea into account? Should it?
2. Do you think the BSC and OSS would have carried out the assassination of Heydrich had they known of the probable consequences? Why or why not? Was the assassination of one man worth the death of hundreds more?
3. Thoroughly discuss Henrich Heydrich and his role in the Nazi war machine and atrocities carried out by the Nazis.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)