|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was running all of German intelligence?
2. Of what did Roosevelt have to convince Americans?
3. What could Stevenson see as he inspected German factories?
4. What name did Churchill and Stevenson choose?
5. Who was protecting British supply ships in the Mediterranean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sent Hitler into a rage; what does he do, and what is the result of Hitler's actions?
2. What began on July 10,1940, and how does Britain respond?
3. What did Heydrich try to accomplish by his party in New York City?
4. Why did Ambassador Kennedy remain in London until Hitler began bombing the city?
5. Discuss Camp X.
6. Give a few facts about William Stevenson.
7. Describe the growth of the Intrepid network into Bermuda.
8. What efforts were being made in the field of intelligence and codes among countries that would eventually be at war?
9. How was it evident that the United States was headed for war?
10. What was taking place in Germany in the early 1920s and how does that influence Stevenson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roosevelt had to convince the American public to support England. Supply lines had to remain open, and England needed destroyers and other war equipment. This placed Roosevelt in an awkward position because he was running for re-election and couldn't openly be pro-war. Discuss the following:
1. What does it say about presidential power that Roosevelt could not just hand over money and equipment to England?
2. Do you think Roosevelt should have allowed the upcoming election to influence his public stance on the war? Why or why not?
3. Research the attitude of the people of the United States towards the early part of the war going on in Europe. Did they think it was any of their business? Why or why not? What was the general consensus about entering the war on the side of Great Britain?
Essay Topic 2
The book is centered on the event known as World War II, it is useful grasp an overview of the war and its issues. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in Europe began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in Europe? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
2. In addition to WWII being fought in the European theater, a second, simultaneous war is fought in what becomes known as the Pacific Theater. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in the Pacific began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in the Pacific? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
3. Research and write an informative essay on how and why the war in both Europe and the Pacific arena end. Why do the aggressors seek peace? What are the terms of surrender? Are the aggressors treated fairly? Humanely?
Essay Topic 3
Without Adolf Hitler's rise to power, WWII may never have occurred--at least on the European front; therefore, an understanding of the state of Germany at that time is essential to understanding many of the references in the book. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on the state of Germany during the 2 decades prior to the outbreak of WWII. What is the economy like? What are the major political parties? What do they stand for? What is the make-up of the German society as far as religious, racial and class?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)