|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company did Stevenson form with two other men?
2. What did Roosevelt promise the King and Queen of England?
3. What did the network of amateur Swede code breakers intercept?
4. What did the British capture just before the invasion of Poland by Germany?
5. Of what ddi Stevenson recognize the implications concerning Germany's intelligence and codes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was taking place in Germany in the early 1920s and how does that influence Stevenson?
2. What was the problem with the sea lanes and what is done?
3. How did Stevenson and Donovan try to delay Hitler's invasion of Russia?
4. What did CYNTHIA discuss with CaptaiN Brousse and what does Stevenson decide to do in connection with what CYNTHIA learns?
5. Who did the Allies want to get out of Denmark and why?
6. How did William Stevenson get into the field of communications?
7. Where did Bohr and his son, Aage, ultimately end up?
8. What did Roosevelt realize about Germany and its system of codes?
9. What was happening At Bletchley with the Enigma?
10. Discuss Camp X.
Essay Topic 1
Britain was close to being bankrupt at fairly early in the war against Germany. Discuss the following:
1. How do countries finance wars?
2. Why don't you think the prohibitive cost of wars doesn't seem to serve as a deterrent to war?
3. Discuss some of the other costs of war. Is any goal of war worth these costs? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
There is a time of one-hundred-and-fifty days that was known as the "Phony War." This consisted of communications between Churchill, coded "Naval Person" and Roosevelt coded "POTUS." Discuss the following:
1. Research the "Phony War" and write a brief informative essay about how it affected Great Britian, France, Germany and the United States.
2. Do you think anything could have been done during the Phony War to have averted a world war?
3. What event(s) precipitated the phony war into the real war? At this point, was war inevitable? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 19, the narrator states that Ambassador Kennedy remained in London until Hitler began bombing London. The Roosevelt administration kept Kennedy in London as long as possible because they were afraid he would campaign against Roosevelt. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Franklin D. Roosevelt to Ambassador Joseph Kennedy. How are they alike? How are they different? Compare their political views. How do they differ as regards the war in Europe? On what do they agree about the war in Europe?
2. Do you think it is an ethical move to keep a potential candidate away in order to win an election? What about the in view of the fact that Joseph Kennedy is in a potentially dangerous situation?
3. Why do you think Roosevelt believed he was the best person for the job of President of the United States when the country is on the brink of war? (This may require a little research).
This section contains 3,513 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)