|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the network of amateur Swede code breakers intercept?
2. Who was Colin Gubbins?
3. What sendt Hitler into a rage that results in the heavy bombing of Belgrade?
4. What did the British capture just before the invasion of Poland by Germany?
5. What was the status of British finances at the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was happening At Bletchley with the Enigma?
2. What was the problem with the sea lanes and what is done?
3. Give a few facts about William Stevenson.
4. What began on July 10,1940, and how does Britain respond?
5. How did Donovan become more involved with Stevenson's work?
6. What did Stevenson notice about Germany during his inspections?
7. What were Stevenson and Donovan doing just before Hitler's invasion of Russia?
8. What did Stevenson write about concerning Germany and how does he have access to the German communication network?
9. How were reports sent out from Bermuda?
10. What did Stevenson want of Roosevelt, and why was Roosevelt dragging his feet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is centered on the event known as World War II, it is useful grasp an overview of the war and its issues. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in Europe began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in Europe? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
2. In addition to WWII being fought in the European theater, a second, simultaneous war is fought in what becomes known as the Pacific Theater. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in the Pacific began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in the Pacific? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
3. Research and write an informative essay on how and why the war in both Europe and the Pacific arena end. Why do the aggressors seek peace? What are the terms of surrender? Are the aggressors treated fairly? Humanely?
Essay Topic 2
King George V makes it clear he will not leave England if the Germans invade and will not collaborate with any German puppet government. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think King George's actions are admirable? Why or why not?
2. Research the monarchs of several other European countries and compare/contrast the actions of three other countries to that of King George in response to the threats from the Germans.
3. How do you think you would have responded as a King/Queen were Hitler to invade your country? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 3
Plans for the assassination of Heydrich began in August 1941, even through they didn't carry out the plot until after Pearl Harbor. As Heydrich lay in a hospital dying, the Germans began a series of retributions by killing one hundred Czechs every evening. More killings followed as houses were searched. The people were killed in the village where the assassins had landed. The village of Lidice was burned to the ground. Discuss the following:
1. Is the act of assassination honorable? Justifiable? Should governments such as the United States condone and assist in assassinations? What about the idea of a fair trial? Does an assassination take that idea into account? Should it?
2. Do you think the BSC and OSS would have carried out the assassination of Heydrich had they known of the probable consequences? Why or why not? Was the assassination of one man worth the death of hundreds more?
3. Thoroughly discuss Henrich Heydrich and his role in the Nazi war machine and atrocities carried out by the Nazis.
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)