|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Noor Inayat Kahn?
2. Where was Stevenson shot down in WWI?
3. Why couldn't Roosevelt be openly pro-war?
4. Who was Colin Gubbins?
5. What was Stevenson's BSC busy doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain who "TRICYCLE" was and his involvement with the United States.
2. What did Stevenson believe about his and others' intelligence efforts. Give one example.
3. What did the Russians want of the allies and what are the Russians considering?
4. Describe the assassination of Heydrich.
5. What did Stevenson write about concerning Germany and how does he have access to the German communication network?
6. What began on July 10,1940, and how does Britain respond?
7. What were Stevenson and Donovan doing just before Hitler's invasion of Russia?
8. Where did the King and Queen of England go and what did the King make clear?
9. What was the purpose of operation JUBILEE and what did the Germans think was happening?
10. What did J. Edgar Hoover get angry and how does Stevenson try to appease the man?
Essay Topic 1
The book is centered on the event known as World War II, it is useful grasp an overview of the war and its issues. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in Europe began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in Europe? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
2. In addition to WWII being fought in the European theater, a second, simultaneous war is fought in what becomes known as the Pacific Theater. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in the Pacific began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in the Pacific? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
3. Research and write an informative essay on how and why the war in both Europe and the Pacific arena end. Why do the aggressors seek peace? What are the terms of surrender? Are the aggressors treated fairly? Humanely?
Essay Topic 2
Roosevelt had to convince the American public to support England. Supply lines had to remain open, and England needed destroyers and other war equipment. This placed Roosevelt in an awkward position because he was running for re-election and couldn't openly be pro-war. Discuss the following:
1. What does it say about presidential power that Roosevelt could not just hand over money and equipment to England?
2. Do you think Roosevelt should have allowed the upcoming election to influence his public stance on the war? Why or why not?
3. Research the attitude of the people of the United States towards the early part of the war going on in Europe. Did they think it was any of their business? Why or why not? What was the general consensus about entering the war on the side of Great Britain?
Essay Topic 3
Stevenson watched as Germany armed itself and prepared for war while England tried to pacify him. Discuss the following:
1. Why does England continue to try to pacify Hitler as it is obvious Germany is re-arming itself in violation of the agreements at the end of WWI?
2. Do you think England and other European countries should have taken the initiative to stop the Germans from gearing for war?
3. What do you think England could have done differently before Germany's invasion of Austria and then Poland?
This section contains 3,492 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)