|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the British capture just before the invasion of Poland by Germany?
2. Where did Churchill make several trips while the Germans were invading?
3. What was a serious problem for British shipping?
4. What shook Britain from its complacency?
5. Who did Stevenson want to bring into Bletchley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss operation TORCH.
2. What did Stevenson want of Roosevelt, and why was Roosevelt dragging his feet?
3. How did Stevenson head off Nazi support in Brazil?
4. What did Stevenson write about concerning Germany and how does he have access to the German communication network?
5. What did Heydrich try to accomplish by his party in New York City?
6. Where did the King and Queen of England go and what did the King make clear?
7. What was taking place in Germany in the early 1920s and how does that influence Stevenson?
8. What sent Hitler into a rage; what does he do, and what is the result of Hitler's actions?
9. What began on July 10,1940, and how does Britain respond?
10. How did Stevenson stymie money laundering efforts by the Nazis in Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 19, the narrator states that Ambassador Kennedy remained in London until Hitler began bombing London. The Roosevelt administration kept Kennedy in London as long as possible because they were afraid he would campaign against Roosevelt. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Franklin D. Roosevelt to Ambassador Joseph Kennedy. How are they alike? How are they different? Compare their political views. How do they differ as regards the war in Europe? On what do they agree about the war in Europe?
2. Do you think it is an ethical move to keep a potential candidate away in order to win an election? What about the in view of the fact that Joseph Kennedy is in a potentially dangerous situation?
3. Why do you think Roosevelt believed he was the best person for the job of President of the United States when the country is on the brink of war? (This may require a little research).
Essay Topic 2
Reinhard Heydrich hosts a party at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel trying to persuade prominent Americans to not supply England. The opportunities for trade with the new German empire would be enormous. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the involvement of American businesses and Germany prior to America's officially declaring war on Germany.
2. How do you think American businesses justified doing business with Germany? Do you think greed was involved? When does "good business sense" become greed?
3. Are American businesses legally allowed today to engage in commerce with a nation with whom the United States is involved in a declared war? How about an armed conflict? Is it fair for the government to regulate something like that? Why or why not? (Some of this may require some research).
Essay Topic 3
Churchill realized there was no way to force Roosevelt's hand in entering the war. The declaration could only come from Congress. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the writers of the Constitution made it so that Congress has to be the branch of government to declare war?
2. What do you think are a few justifiable reasons to declare war on another country? Do you think the United States was justified in declaring war on Germany? Why or why not.
3. Describe how, according to the book A Man Called Intrepid: The Secret War, Roosevelt helps England as much as possible until the American people and Congress decide to enter the war on the side of the Allies.
This section contains 3,494 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)