|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Roosevelt administration keep Joseph Kennedy in London for as long as possible?
2. To where was the Government Code and Cipher School relocated?
3. Why couldn't Roosevelt be openly pro-war?
4. How long did the bombing of Belgrade delay Hitler's invasion of Russia?
5. What concession did Stevenson gain from the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Camp X.
2. What did Donovan favor to help Britain out with its financial woes?
3. What was happening At Bletchley with the Enigma?
4. How did William Stevenson get into the field of communications?
5. How did Donovan become more involved with Stevenson's work?
6. What began on July 10,1940, and how does Britain respond?
7. What did Churchill appoint Stevenson to and out of where does he operate?
8. How was it evident that the United States was headed for war?
9. Why did Ambassador Kennedy remain in London until Hitler began bombing the city?
10. What did Roosevelt realize about Germany and its system of codes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King George V makes it clear he will not leave England if the Germans invade and will not collaborate with any German puppet government. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think King George's actions are admirable? Why or why not?
2. Research the monarchs of several other European countries and compare/contrast the actions of three other countries to that of King George in response to the threats from the Germans.
3. How do you think you would have responded as a King/Queen were Hitler to invade your country? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 2
Without Adolf Hitler's rise to power, WWII may never have occurred--at least on the European front; therefore, an understanding of the state of Germany at that time is essential to understanding many of the references in the book. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on the state of Germany during the 2 decades prior to the outbreak of WWII. What is the economy like? What are the major political parties? What do they stand for? What is the make-up of the German society as far as religious, racial and class?
Essay Topic 3
Politics plays an integral and important role in much of Stevenson's work and in how the various factions side with either the Allies or Axis powers. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss three situations in the book where politics plays a critical role in the outcome of the situation. Who are the principle players? What are the issues involved? Were there any "dirty" politics involved?
2. Is there any way to keep politics and war separate? Would it be a good idea to do so? Why or why not.
3. Do you feel any differently to Roosevelt knowing he chose to keep a potential challenger unable to do so? Do you think Roosevelt had the best chance of guiding the United States through WWII?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)