|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country was Chamberlain most interested?
2. Who were the "trappers"?
3. What was now known to the public about Roosevelt and the British?
4. What allowed engineers to view the German communication network?
5. Where was Hitler in the early 1920s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Churchill appoint Stevenson to and out of where does he operate?
2. What was taking place in Germany in the early 1920s and how does that influence Stevenson?
3. Give a few facts about William Stevenson.
4. What did Heydrich try to accomplish by his party in New York City?
5. What did Stevenson write about concerning Germany and how does he have access to the German communication network?
6. What was happening At Bletchley with the Enigma?
7. What sent Hitler into a rage; what does he do, and what is the result of Hitler's actions?
8. Describe the growth of the Intrepid network into Bermuda.
9. What did Roosevelt realize about Germany and its system of codes?
10. How was intelligence work in England and the United States developing during the time just before the outbreak of WWII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roosevelt had to convince the American public to support England. Supply lines had to remain open, and England needed destroyers and other war equipment. This placed Roosevelt in an awkward position because he was running for re-election and couldn't openly be pro-war. Discuss the following:
1. What does it say about presidential power that Roosevelt could not just hand over money and equipment to England?
2. Do you think Roosevelt should have allowed the upcoming election to influence his public stance on the war? Why or why not?
3. Research the attitude of the people of the United States towards the early part of the war going on in Europe. Did they think it was any of their business? Why or why not? What was the general consensus about entering the war on the side of Great Britain?
Essay Topic 2
King George V makes it clear he will not leave England if the Germans invade and will not collaborate with any German puppet government. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think King George's actions are admirable? Why or why not?
2. Research the monarchs of several other European countries and compare/contrast the actions of three other countries to that of King George in response to the threats from the Germans.
3. How do you think you would have responded as a King/Queen were Hitler to invade your country? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 3
Politics plays an integral and important role in much of Stevenson's work and in how the various factions side with either the Allies or Axis powers. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss three situations in the book where politics plays a critical role in the outcome of the situation. Who are the principle players? What are the issues involved? Were there any "dirty" politics involved?
2. Is there any way to keep politics and war separate? Would it be a good idea to do so? Why or why not.
3. Do you feel any differently to Roosevelt knowing he chose to keep a potential challenger unable to do so? Do you think Roosevelt had the best chance of guiding the United States through WWII?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)