|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the bombing of Belgrade delay Hitler's invasion of Russia?
2. What was the status of British finances at the time?
3. What was Stevenson's cover occupation?
4. What was canceled due to the protests of the royalty of various countries?
5. For what type of network were plans made?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the assassination of Heydrich.
2. How did the BSC set up Hitler to believe that Heydrich's death was "in the stars"?
3. What did Roosevelt realize about Germany and its system of codes?
4. What was the American involvement in the war at this point (May, 1941)?
5. Why did Ambassador Kennedy remain in London until Hitler began bombing the city?
6. Who was CYNTHIA?
7. What happened to the BSC after Roosevelt died?
8. How did Stevenson stymie money laundering efforts by the Nazis in Mexico?
9. How was it evident that the United States was headed for war?
10. What did Stevenson notice about Germany during his inspections?
Essay Topic 1
Roosevelt had to convince the American public to support England. Supply lines had to remain open, and England needed destroyers and other war equipment. This placed Roosevelt in an awkward position because he was running for re-election and couldn't openly be pro-war. Discuss the following:
1. What does it say about presidential power that Roosevelt could not just hand over money and equipment to England?
2. Do you think Roosevelt should have allowed the upcoming election to influence his public stance on the war? Why or why not?
3. Research the attitude of the people of the United States towards the early part of the war going on in Europe. Did they think it was any of their business? Why or why not? What was the general consensus about entering the war on the side of Great Britain?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter Twenty-Seven is about the agent Madeleine, whose real name was Noor Inayat Kahn. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
2. Another agent, "CNYTHIA" actually gets sexually involved with several men in order to gain access to important information. Thoroughly discuss and analyze "Madeleine's" role as an intelligence agent. How does she become involved in intelligence work? What were her greatest contributions? What were her strengths and weaknesses? Do you think she could be called a hero/heroine?
3. Should women be involved in intelligence work? Should women (or men for that matter) be asked to become sexually involved with others (especially married persons) in order to complete an assignment?
Essay Topic 3
The book is centered on the event known as World War II, it is useful grasp an overview of the war and its issues. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in Europe began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in Europe? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
2. In addition to WWII being fought in the European theater, a second, simultaneous war is fought in what becomes known as the Pacific Theater. Research and write an informative essay on how, why, and where World War II in the Pacific began. Who are the principle players? Where is the first battle? What are the issues involved in the start of the war in the Pacific? Does the aggressor have a legitimate grievance?
3. Research and write an informative essay on how and why the war in both Europe and the Pacific arena end. Why do the aggressors seek peace? What are the terms of surrender? Are the aggressors treated fairly? Humanely?
This section contains 3,465 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)