|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the British capture just before the invasion of Poland by Germany?
(a) One of Germany's top intelligence officers.
(b) An Enigma machine.
(c) A list of German spies in England.
(d) A book of codes from WWI which were made more complex.
2. What was Hitler's invasion of Russia code named?
(a) Operation Snow.
(c) White Christmas.
3. Who was Reinhard Heydrich?
(a) He worked in the German foreign intelligence.
(b) He was a German working for the British in Germany.
(c) He was captured with the German code book.
(d) He tried to assassinate Hitler before WWII ever started.
4. To where was the Government Code and Cipher School relocated?
5. Why couldn't Stevenson force Roosevelt's hand to declare war?
(a) Roosevelt might balk and dig in his heels on staying out of the war.
(b) The declaration has to come from Congress.
(c) Stevenson wanted willing allies; not ones forced into the position.
(d) Stevenson was told not to get involved by the King.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Stevenson want to bring into Bletchley?
2. What allowed engineers to view the German communication network?
3. What were the Americans doing in the field of codes?
4. In what was the Black Chamber involved?
5. Where was an intelligence leak found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was taking place in Germany in the early 1920s and how does that influence Stevenson?
2. What began on July 10,1940, and how does Britain respond?
3. What did Stevenson want of Roosevelt, and why was Roosevelt dragging his feet?
4. What was happening At Bletchley with the Enigma?
5. What did Roosevelt realize about Germany and its system of codes?
6. Who was Madeleine?
7. How was intelligence work in England and the United States developing during the time just before the outbreak of WWII?
8. What was the Phony War?
9. What sent Hitler into a rage; what does he do, and what is the result of Hitler's actions?
10. What did Donovan favor to help Britain out with its financial woes?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)