Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What company did Stevenson form with two other men?
(a) Canadian Wire Service.
(b) British Arts Corporation.
(c) British Broadcasting Company.
(d) American Telephone and Telegraph.
2. What did Roosevelt promise the King and Queen of England?
(a) Assistance if England was attacked.
(b) Financial aide.
(c) Guns and airplanes.
3. What did the network of amateur Swede code breakers intercept?
(a) Germany's intent to cross the English channel.
(b) Russia's intent to invade Finland.
(c) Finland's intent to give the British full access to their heavy water.
(d) Germany's intent to invade Poland.
4. What did the British capture just before the invasion of Poland by Germany?
(a) A book of codes from WWI which were made more complex.
(b) An Enigma machine.
(c) One of Germany's top intelligence officers.
(d) A list of German spies in England.
5. Of what ddi Stevenson recognize the implications concerning Germany's intelligence and codes?
(a) The first-generation code breakers.
(b) The new Enigma.
(c) Hitler's hiding the production of weapons.
(d) The second-generation code breakers.
6. What was Donovan investigating?
(a) The locations of Hitler's secret bunkers.
(b) The locations of German munitions factories.
(c) The value of strengthening the British in the Mediterranean.
(d) Another leak in security.
7. What was Stevenson's BSC busy doing?
(a) Keeping supply lines open.
(b) Recruiting members.
(c) Conducting a propaganda war.
(d) Protecting intelligence.
8. What was canceled due to the protests of the royalty of various countries?
(a) OX BLOW.
(b) HAMMER BLOW.
(c) STRIKE OX.
(d) ORE GONE.
9. What was already in place when Hitler took the Channel Islands?
(a) The netword of Island resistance.
(b) The British organization for guerrilla warfare against the Germans was already in place.
(c) The Royal Navy underwater demolition teams.
(d) The mine fields in the channel.
10. What routine were the people at Bletchley trying to figure out?
(a) How to capitalize on the invasion of Finland.
(b) The Russian's rountine to keep the Germans at bay.
(c) The way the Germans planned who to invade next.
(d) The drum changing routine.
11. What name did Churchill and Stevenson choose?
12. Where was Hitler in the early 1920s?
(a) In the German parliament.
(b) Touring the United States.
(c) Working as a baker.
13. What was HYDRA?
(a) A type of amphibious boat.
(b) A satellite.
(c) Stevenson's answer to the Enigma machine.
(d) A transmitter.
14. What did Stevenson establish in Bermuda?
(a) A place for him to relax sometimes.
(b) An orphanage for the children whose parents are killed in air raids on London.
(c) A station similar to Bletchley.
(d) A top secret atomic bomb development center.
15. What did the United States government say publicly about the war?
(a) They did not intend to enter the war.
(b) They deplored the war.
(c) They believed the British cannot win the war.
(d) They believed the British should have made peace with Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was William Stevenson born?
2. Who did Stevenson want to bring into Bletchley?
3. What was Stevenson working on to aid in code breaking?
4. What were the Americans doing in the field of codes?
5. Who was Admiral Wilhelm Canaris?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)