|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had German agents tailing him in London?
(c) Queen Wilhelmina.
2. Who was running all of German intelligence?
(b) Von Braun.
3. Who was William Wiseman?
(a) The head of the CIA's covert operations branch in the 1950s.
(b) The chief of British Secret Intelligence Service in Washington, D. C.
(c) A spy for Britian in France during WWII.
(d) Stevenson's best friend.
4. Where was Hitler in the early 1920s?
(a) Working as a baker.
(b) Touring the United States.
(d) In the German parliament.
5. What was talked about to help the Brits?
(a) Raising a volunteer army to augment British forces.
(b) Selling war bonds to Americans for England.
(c) Giving wartime grants.
(d) Loaning war equipment.
6. With whom did King George V say he would not collaborate?
(a) Any German puppet government.
7. Why did Sir Henry Tizard bring an assortment of confidential information to the United States?
(a) To fool the Germans.
(b) For analysis.
(c) So it wouldn't be captured by the Germans.
(d) To convince the Americans to join the war effort.
8. Who did the Brits warn about Hitler's plans?
(a) King Haakon VII.
(b) Ion Antonescu.
(c) Paul Reynaud.
9. What did the network of amateur Swede code breakers intercept?
(a) Russia's intent to invade Finland.
(b) Germany's intent to invade Poland.
(c) Finland's intent to give the British full access to their heavy water.
(d) Germany's intent to cross the English channel.
10. What did Stevenson's London office serve as?
(a) A training lab for spies.
(b) A place to hold secret meetings with Eurpean heads of state.
(c) A clearinghouse for information.
(d) A place for developing various code machines.
11. What was Stevenson's BSC busy doing?
(a) Protecting intelligence.
(b) Keeping supply lines open.
(c) Recruiting members.
(d) Conducting a propaganda war.
12. Why did Hitler fail to crush the British troops in France?
(a) Too many resistance fighters sabotaging the efforts.
(b) Supply lines were cut off.
(c) Because of Bletchely correctly analyzing and anticipating German plans.
(d) Poor equipment.
13. Between what two agencies was cooperation arranged?
(a) FBI and Canadian Intelligence.
(b) FBI and British Intelligence.
(c) British Intelligence and French underground.
(d) British Intelligence and CIA.
14. What did the British capture just before the invasion of Poland by Germany?
(a) A list of German spies in England.
(b) A book of codes from WWI which were made more complex.
(c) An Enigma machine.
(d) One of Germany's top intelligence officers.
15. What was the status of British finances at the time?
(a) Augmented by countries unwillingly under German control.
(b) Recently boosted by a war bond drive.
(c) Close to bankrupt.
(d) Far worse than bankrupt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Stevenson discover through his message interception network?
2. What concession did Stevenson gain from the United States?
3. What was Stevenson's cover occupation?
4. What did Stevenson want to use in breaking codes?
5. Of what ddi Stevenson recognize the implications concerning Germany's intelligence and codes?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)