* Chapter 1 relates William Stevenson's early life and his entry into the Royal Canadian Engineers and then Flying Corps during WWI.
* Stevenson was a German POW who escapes and writes a detailed report on German POW camps.
* After WWI, Stevenson studied radio communications, taught college and formed the British Broadcasting Company.
* There was much scientific research taking place in Germany and a revival of its militarism.
* Stevenson begins to think about the lack of an intelligence network.
* The Black Chamber was a group involved in codes and ciphers in the United States, and there wa no organized intelligence service.
* Hitler was in prison (1924) and writing Mein Kampf and beginning to attract a following.
* The Enigma was developed and Stevenson is able to learn about German communications because of his company, ITT.
* Most intelligence at this time came from private citizens such as Stevenson.
* Germany prepared...
This section contains 2,116 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)