|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Larry Knox?
2. How much do the attorneys get in legal fees?
3. What does Schlictmann buy at Saks Fifth Avenue in preparation for the negotiations with Grace Chemical?
4. For opening arguments, how many spectators remain seated in the court room after Judge Skinner asks those without seats to leave?
5. How much does Schlictmann end up with from the Grace settlement after all debts and expenses are paid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe reaction in Woburn to the settlement with Grace Chemical.
2. What is the "shark effect" that Eustis is worried about in giving a big settlement to Schlictmann?
3. Briefly describe what the Yankee Report.
4. John Dobrinski is Schlictmann's expert geological witness. Excluding the substance of his geological testimony, is John Dobrinski an effective witness for Schlictmann?
5. Describe the initial Court of Appeals ruling.
6. Briefly describe the EPA report that is issued during the initial preparation for the Beatrice appeal involving pump tests performed a year before, even before the trial began.
7. What is the verdict in Phase 1 of the trial?
8. Following the trial but before the verdict, what do Schlictmann and Nesson realize is their biggest mistake and why?
9. Following the trial, what does Schlictmann's team decide to do?
10. What does Keating tell Schlictmann is the concern of Grace in a large settlement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This case involves extensive use of expert witnesses. Choose either the plaintiff's or defendant's side. Describe how expert witnesses are used. Include who the witnesses were, what they are used to prove, whether they are effective, etc.
Essay Topic 2
If the reports and information that came to light after the trial had been available during the trial, would the verdict have been different? Include a discussion of the EPA report, the Yankee Report, the information in the warehouse, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Choose Schlictmann, Cheeseman, or Facher. Discuss how tactics and maneuverings has an effect on the trial. Do tactics help to discover the facts? If not, what is the motivation behind them?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)