|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Schlictmann when the Court of Appeals issued its decision?
2. Who is Albert Eustis?
3. The EPA report that is released after the trial verdict clearly states what?
4. What happens to the limousine that picked the Schlictmann team up at La Guardia Airport in New York?
5. After Phase 1 verdict Schlictmann's firm is in dire straits. How long can the firm continue to exist with the money they receive from cashing out the firm's retirement plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Schlictmann conclude that Grace wants to settle?
2. How does Schlictmann imagine that he would begin the Phase 2 trial?
3. What types of questions does Judge Skinner give the jury during jury instructions?
4. What does Keating tell Schlictmann is the concern of Grace in a large settlement?
5. What is the verdict in Phase 1 of the trial?
6. Briefly describe Skinner's ruling/report to the Court of Appeals.
7. When Schlictmann meets with the families during the negotiations with Grace following the verdict, what is the position of the families?
8. What is Schlitmann's immediate reaction to the verdict in Phase 1?
9. What is Schlictmann's reaction to the settlement with Grace?
10. Describe reaction in Woburn to the settlement with Grace Chemical.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose Schlictmann, Cheeseman, or Facher. Discuss how tactics and maneuverings has an effect on the trial. Do tactics help to discover the facts? If not, what is the motivation behind them?
Essay Topic 2
Is the adversarial nature of a trial compatible with discovering the truth? Include examples from the book in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The families say that the motivation behind this case is justice, making corporate America take responsibility for its actions. 1. Assuming that this motive is true, does the final outcome of the case (following the final ruling of the Court of Appeals) meet this objective? 2. Do you think this is the motivation at the beginning of the case? At the end of the case? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)