|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Judge Skinner give his approval of the settlement between Grace and Schlictmann?
2. Where is Schlictmann when the Court of Appeals issued its decision?
3. After Judge Skinner sends his report to the Court of Appeals, when does the Court of Appeals issue its ruling on the Beatrice appeal?
4. Who says: "We got to prepare for phase two. We can't negotiate without being prepared. Things are not black and white."
5. How many families are plaintiffs in the Woburn case?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Court of Appeals ruling, why does Schlictmann reject the Beatrice offer?
2. Why does Schlictmann conclude that Grace wants to settle?
3. Following the trial, what does Schlictmann's team decide to do?
4. When Schlictmann meets with the families during the negotiations with Grace following the verdict, what is the position of the families?
5. Briefly describe the EPA report that is issued during the initial preparation for the Beatrice appeal involving pump tests performed a year before, even before the trial began.
6. What is Schlictmann's goal during Phase 1?
7. What is the verdict in Phase 1 of the trial?
8. Describe reaction in Woburn to the settlement with Grace Chemical.
9. What is the strategy of the defense during Phase 1 of the trial?
10. What is Schlictmann's opinion about the Court of Appeals initial ruling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This case involves extensive use of expert witnesses. Choose either the plaintiff's or defendant's side. Describe how expert witnesses are used. Include who the witnesses were, what they are used to prove, whether they are effective, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The families say that the motivation behind this case is justice, making corporate America take responsibility for its actions. 1. Assuming that this motive is true, does the final outcome of the case (following the final ruling of the Court of Appeals) meet this objective? 2. Do you think this is the motivation at the beginning of the case? At the end of the case? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the final outcome of this case (after the Court of Appeals final ruling), do you think justice is served? Do you think the outcome is fair? Include a summary of the outcome and support your conclusion with facts from the book.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)