|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jan Schlictmann's first job after college?
(a) Systems analyst.
(c) Life insurance salesman.
(d) Store manager.
2. How many peremptory challenges does each side have?
3. Who is Shirley Conibear?
(a) A specialist in environmental and occupational medicine.
(b) A speacialist in hydrology.
(c) A professor at Harvard.
(d) Schlictmann's secretary.
4. What TV show films a segment on the Woburn case?
(a) 60 Minutes.
(b) Boston News.
(d) New York Beat.
5. Why does Roisman drop the Woburn case?
(a) Too high profile.
(b) He thought he would lose the case.
(c) Too costly.
(d) He didn't like working with Schlictmann.
6. Who is the Grace Chemical employee who admits using TCE and dumping it at the back of the plant?
(a) John Truman.
(b) Bob Thomas.
(c) Tom Barbas.
(d) Scot Anderson.
7. What law firm represents Beatrice Foods?
(a) Foley, Hoag and Eliot.
(b) Jones and Jones.
(c) Schlictmann and Conway.
(d) Hale and Door.
8. The week before trial, how much is the settlement offer made by Neil Jacobs for Beatrice Foods?
(a) $3 million.
(b) $8 million.
(c) $5 million.
(d) $10 million.
9. Who does Schlictmann hire to test immune systems of family members of Woburn children who have leukemia or who have died from leukemia?
(a) Dr. Paul Collins.
(b) Dr. Gary Flynn.
(c) Dr. Robert Colvin.
(d) Dr. Steven Craig.
10. Who said: "Being in trial . . . is like being submerged in deep water for weeks at a time. The world above becomes a faint echo."
11. After the deposition process, who does Schlictmann believe is lying?
(a) Peter Walker.
(b) Al Love.
(c) Donald Fredrico.
(d) John Riley.
12. Where does the pre-trial settlement conference take place in Boston?
(a) Schlictmann's offices.
(b) Facher's offices.
(c) The Four Seasons hotel.
(d) The judge's chambers.
13. Who is Tom Kiley?
(a) An expert witness for Schlictmann.
(b) Schlictmann's friend.
(c) Schlictmann's banker.
(d) Schlictmann's assistant.
14. What is the Trial Lawyers for Public Justice?
(a) A committee of the American Bar Association.
(b) A public interest law firm.
(c) An organization specializing in helping the poor.
(d) A division of the Justice Department.
15. Why does Facher initially have little concern about the Woburn lawsuit?
(a) Facher knew that he could win in court over Schlictmann.
(b) Schlictmann had already agreed to settle early in the case.
(c) Beatrice Foods had a good defense.
(d) Environmental lawsuits are hard to prove.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what part of the pretrial is "voir dire" involved?
2. Who says, "Through trials, society seeks not only to discover the truth about a past event, but also to forge a link between crime and punishment, between wrong and liability."
3. At a before trial settlement conference, how much does Schlictmann propose as a settlement?
4. How old is the Anderson's son when he was diagnosed with leukemia?
5. Why does Beatrice Foods purchase Riley Tannery?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)