|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many peremptory challenges does each side have?
2. What is barratry?
(a) The solicitation of groundless lawsuits.
(b) The bribing of judges.
(c) The trying of a case without a jury.
(d) The bringing of frivolous lawsuits.
3. Who says: "You're not entitled to a jury of your liking. You're only entitled to an impartial jury."?
4. What is the Trial Lawyers for Public Justice?
(a) A public interest law firm.
(b) A committee of the American Bar Association.
(c) An organization specializing in helping the poor.
(d) A division of the Justice Department.
5. Who is Tom Neville?
(a) An expert witness.
(b) Facher's associate.
(c) Schlictmann's associate.
(d) Conway's lawyer friend.
6. Who is the first woburn plaintiff called for deposition by the defendants?
(a) John Lilley.
(b) Donna Robbins.
(c) Anne Anderson.
(d) Richard Aufiero.
7. Where is the First Circuit Judicial Conference held that Schlictmann went to?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) San Juan.
(c) Washington, DC.
(d) New York.
8. What is "Litigation Sciences?"
(a) A Harvard Law School course taught by Facher.
(b) A firm specializing in jury selection.
(c) A TV show.
(d) A book on trials.
9. Who is the Grace Chemical employee who admits using TCE and dumping it at the back of the plant?
(a) Tom Barbas.
(b) Scot Anderson.
(c) John Truman.
(d) Bob Thomas.
10. How much does the maple conference table in Schlictmann's office cost?
11. What is the amount of the counter-offer that Schlictmann makes to Beatrice Foods settlement offer the week before trial?
(a) $20 million.
(b) $180 million.
(c) $10 million.
(d) $18 million.
12. Where does the pre-trial settlement conference take place in Boston?
(a) Facher's offices.
(b) The judge's chambers.
(c) Schlictmann's offices.
(d) The Four Seasons hotel.
13. How far away from Boston is Woburn located?
(a) 12 miles.
(b) 55 miles.
(c) 152 miles.
(d) 100 miles.
14. What is the name of the law firm that was initially contacted about the leukemia clusters?
(a) Jones & Mulligan.
(b) Reed & Mulligan.
(c) Roisman & Mulligan.
(d) Conway & Mulligan.
15. The week before trial, how much is the settlement offer made by Neil Jacobs for Beatrice Foods?
(a) $10 million.
(b) $3 million.
(c) $8 million.
(d) $5 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said: "Being in trial . . . is like being submerged in deep water for weeks at a time. The world above becomes a faint echo."
2. What type of case does Schlictmann win that provides him with money for the Woburn case?
3. Who files a Rule 11 charge against Schlictmann?
4. Why does the state environmental department originally come to Woburn in 1979?
5. Who says: "Frankly, I'm in this for the punitive damages."
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)