|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says: "Frankly, I'm in this for the punitive damages."
2. Who releases the report "Woburn: Cancer Incidence and Environmental Hazards?"
(a) The EPA.
(b) The Massachusetts Environmental Department.
(c) The Centers for Disease Control and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
(d) The Woburn City Council and the County Health Department.
3. What is the length of the Statute of Limitations on personal injuries in Massachusetts?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 10 years.
4. How many peremptory challenges does each side have?
5. How many pages of interrogatories does Cheeseman receive from Schlictmann?
6. What is barratry?
(a) The trying of a case without a jury.
(b) The bringing of frivolous lawsuits.
(c) The bribing of judges.
(d) The solicitation of groundless lawsuits.
7. Who is James Gordon?
(a) A friend.
(b) Schlictmann's law partner.
(c) A biochemist.
(d) Schlictmann's financial adviser.
8. What governmental agency orderes the discontinuation of the use of TCE in the 1970s?
(c) Massachusetts Agency of Contamination.
9. When is the complaint in the Woburn case filed?
(a) December, 1981.
(b) May, 1982.
(c) January, 1982.
(d) March, 1982.
10. How much is Facher's settlement offer that Schlictmann immediately rejects?
(a) $7 million.
(b) $4 million.
(c) $1 million.
(d) $2 million.
11. Why does the state environmental department originally come to Woburn in 1979?
(a) To test the water in the river.
(b) To talk to the Town Council.
(c) To check some contaminated waste barrels.
(d) To check the water in Wells G and H.
12. What is the Trial Lawyers for Public Justice?
(a) A committee of the American Bar Association.
(b) A division of the Justice Department.
(c) A public interest law firm.
(d) An organization specializing in helping the poor.
13. What law firm represents Beatrice Foods?
(a) Foley, Hoag and Eliot.
(b) Schlictmann and Conway.
(c) Jones and Jones.
(d) Hale and Door.
14. How is Judge Skinner selected for this trial?
(a) By lottery.
(b) By the defendants.
(c) By the plaintiffs.
(d) By agreement of the parties.
15. When do residents of east Woburn begin to complain about the water?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what part of the pretrial is "voir dire" involved?
2. How much does Nesson estimate that the Woburn case is worth in punitive damages?
3. What is the name of Schlictmann's secretary during the Eaton discovery and trial?
4. What is Schlictmann's War Room?
5. Who said: "Being in trial . . . is like being submerged in deep water for weeks at a time. The world above becomes a faint echo."
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)