|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To illustrate the concept of disorder in a system, Hawking uses what example in Chapter 9?
2. Hawking calls the possibility of the universe collapsing "the big ____?"
3. What does Hawking say math is useful for?
4. Hawking used what kind of space-time to reach the conclusion that the universe is similar to a sphere?
5. Infinities in partial theories can be canceled out through a process known as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one theory about what happens when particles match up with their anti-particles on the event horizon of a black hole?
2. Hawking concludes that life is only possible during the expansion phase of the universe for what reason?
3. Hawking says that when the universe loses all order, what will happen with life?
4. If quantum mechanics is used, then the universe has always done what?
5. Why did the Catholic church demand that Galileo stop writing about Copernican theory?
6. What is Einstein's general theory of relativity's famous equation?
7. What does the psychological arrow of time represent?
8. What does a weak form of the anthropic principle hold for the view of the universe?
9. According to Hawking, people are naturally curious about what?
10. Einstein preferred what over the fleeting nature of politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using what has been presented in the book, what concepts would string theory have to embody in order to be considered the theory that unites the general theory of relativity with quantum mechanics? What issues would string theory have to overcome? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Hawking often compares and contrasts science and God. Using examples from the text: What is the purpose of comparing and contrasting science and God?
Essay Topic 3
Based on your reading of the book, why does humanity try to understand the universe and what progress has humanity made in understanding it? Please support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)