|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A closed string is defined as what?
2. Einstein signed a letter to what President urging him to take discovery of the nuclear bomb seriously?
3. What is entropy?
4. What theory says that the universe has always existed and always will?
5. Galileo belied that the earth did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hawking considers Galileo to be what?
2. What does a weak form of the anthropic principle hold for the view of the universe?
3. Hawking says that when the universe loses all order, what will happen with life?
4. According to Hawking, people are naturally curious about what?
5. Real time is described in math using what?
6. Hawking concludes that life is only possible during the expansion phase of the universe for what reason?
7. What is Einstein's general theory of relativity's famous equation?
8. Using imaginary numbers allows time to do what?
9. Addressing the question of why the universe exists was once the job of philosophers, but now is not done because of what reason?
10. What does the psychological arrow of time represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hawking says there are three possibilities for the unification of physics theory. What are they? Which one will prevail? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Hawking often compares and contrasts science and God. Using examples from the text: What is the purpose of comparing and contrasting science and God?
Essay Topic 3
Using the book to support your answer, answer the following question: Was there a beginning of time and will there be an end?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)