|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Einstein's vocal support of the Zionist cause recognized?
2. What theory says that the universe has always existed and always will?
3. A long time friend of Galileo's held which high office in the church?
4. Einstein was what nationality by birth?
5. Who said, "Physics as we know it will be over in six months."
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Einstein's involvement in U.S. politics?
2. Real time is described in math using what?
3. Why did the Catholic church demand that Galileo stop writing about Copernican theory?
4. What does the psychological arrow of time represent?
5. What is the difference between string theory and the other theories?
6. What are the three possibilities Hawking sees for the unification of physics theory?
7. What does a weak form of the anthropic principle hold for the view of the universe?
8. When and why did Einstein become a pacifist?
9. Hawking concludes that life is only possible during the expansion phase of the universe for what reason?
10. Using imaginary numbers allows time to do what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the arrows of time symbolize? What are their purposes? Which one is most important in our universe? Which one would Hawking say is most important? Why? Please use the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is a simile and metaphor? Why does Hawking use similes and metaphors in his book? Using examples from the book, discuss which simile and metaphor are the most effective and why.
Essay Topic 3
Hawking says there are three possibilities for the unification of physics theory. What are they? Which one will prevail? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)