|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Black holes can capture matter particles and what other type of particles?
2. What is one of Hawking's three possibilities for the unification of physics theory?
(a) There will never be unification because we don't understand everything.
(b) That the theories will be united when gravity is no longer a constant.
(c) That string theory will ultimately prevail.
(d) No theory of the universe is possible at all.
3. What else can we not see, besides black holes?
(a) Light waves.
(b) Black matter.
(c) Photon matter.
(d) Clear matter.
4. Hawking argues that randomness must exist to a certain degree due to what?
(a) The theory of relativity.
(b) The lack of knowledge.
(c) The ability to run time backwards.
(d) The uncertainty principle.
5. What church panel was Galileo brought before?
(a) The Crusade.
(b) The Seekers.
(c) The Inquisition.
(d) The Censors.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man who was convicted of trying to murder Einstein was fined how much?
2. What is entropy?
3. Gravitational force is always what?
4. What force is the weakest of the four categories of forces?
5. What does chemistry allow us to calculate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might have happened to the black holes left over from the early period of the Big Bang?
2. When did the early ideas that the universe is deterministic fall apart?
3. What is, according to the book, the most recent attempt to find a complete unified theory?
4. What is the estimated concentration of black holes?
5. The Catholic Church allowed Galileo to write a book, but said that it must do what?
6. What punishment did the Inquisition order for Galileo?
7. Einstein preferred what over the fleeting nature of politics?
8. Real time is described in math using what?
9. Hawking concludes that life is only possible during the expansion phase of the universe for what reason?
10. What does the psychological arrow of time represent?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)