|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An open string is defined as what?
(a) A string with an end.
(b) A string that connects two things.
(c) A string with no end.
(d) A string that connects nothing.
2. According to Hawking, when the universe has lost all order, life will be what?
3. Who discovered the equation that governs the electron?
4. To illustrate the concept of disorder in a system, Hawking uses what example in Chapter 9?
(a) A broken vase.
(b) A jigsaw puzzle.
(c) A car crash.
(d) A bag of marbles.
5. The man who was convicted of trying to murder Einstein was fined how much?
(a) Six dollars.
(b) He was thrown in jail, not fined.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) He wasn't fined at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mathematics is the language of what?
2. What are the basic building blocks of string theory?
3. Gravitational force is always what?
4. What is one of Hawking's three possibilities for the unification of physics theory?
5. During World War 1, Einstein was a professor in which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Einstein's involvement in U.S. politics?
2. Addressing the question of why the universe exists was once the job of philosophers, but now is not done because of what reason?
3. Hawking considers Galileo to be what?
4. Einstein preferred what over the fleeting nature of politics?
5. What might have happened to the black holes left over from the early period of the Big Bang?
6. What is the mathematical problem regarding the origination of the universe?
7. Hawking says that when the universe loses all order, what will happen with life?
8. What is, according to the book, the most recent attempt to find a complete unified theory?
9. What punishment did the Inquisition order for Galileo?
10. Using imaginary numbers allows time to do what?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)