|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There are at least how many different arrows of time?
2. According to Hawking, when the universe has lost all order, life will be what?
3. If something can escape the event horizon of a black hole, it would be explained by thinking about the behavior of what?
4. The man who was convicted of trying to murder Einstein was fined how much?
(a) Six dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) He was thrown in jail, not fined.
(d) He wasn't fined at all.
5. How many questions are left unanswered prior to the development of math that incorporates quantum mechanics?
Short Answer Questions
1. Some particles might match up with their anti-particles at what point?
2. In what year was Einstein's vocal support of the Zionist cause recognized?
3. A possible solution to combining general relativity and the uncertainty principle is what?
4. What does Hawking say math is useful for?
5. What book did Galileo publish, with the backing of the church's censors?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Catholic Church allowed Galileo to write a book, but said that it must do what?
2. Hawking considers Galileo to be what?
3. Why did the Catholic church demand that Galileo stop writing about Copernican theory?
4. When did the early ideas that the universe is deterministic fall apart?
5. According to Hawking, people are naturally curious about what?
6. What is, according to the book, the most recent attempt to find a complete unified theory?
7. If quantum mechanics is used, then the universe has always done what?
8. Addressing the question of why the universe exists was once the job of philosophers, but now is not done because of what reason?
9. What is the difference between string theory and the other theories?
10. What does the psychological arrow of time represent?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)