|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far away is our sun from the earth in terms of light?
(a) 9 light minutes.
(b) 8 light months.
(c) 8 light minutes.
(d) 9 light months.
2. What question is among the unanswerable questions children ask, according to the Introduction?
(a) What happens when we die?
(b) Why are we here?
(c) Why is there a universe?
(d) Why does time only go in one direction?
3. As an observer's velocity comes close to the speed of light, the observer's mass does what?
(a) Stays the same.
(b) Increases to almost infinity.
(c) Decreases to almost nothing.
(d) Covers more space.
4. Scientists try to create explanations for the way the universe works that always do what?
(a) Are simple and easy to understand.
(b) Are complex.
(c) Are developed in think tanks.
(d) Work mathematically.
5. All the particles in the universe are what type of spin?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who created the relativity formula that states energy equals mass multiplied by the speed of light squared?
2. Edwin Hubble's observation that the universe is expanding supports what theory?
3. What is one of the categories of force-carrying virtual protons?
4. To observe black holes you must observe what?
5. When was the uncertainty principle developed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Scientists start with observations and mathematics to answer the fundamental questions and then do what?
2. What are some characteristics of a black hole?
3. Why might our present day ways of thinking about the universe seem ridiculous in the future?
4. How did Einstein observe Brownian motion?
5. What happens at the event horizon of a black hole?
6. What is the relationship between quantum mechanics and predictions?
7. The mathematical formulas that result from a scientific model of the universe must do what?
8. When looking at the sky on a clear night what do you see and how far away is it?
9. What are the six varieties of quarks?
10. What is the uncertainty principle?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)