|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 The Expanding Universe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Philosophers try to understand the universe using what method?
(b) Religious reasoning.
(c) Disciplined logic.
(d) Circular arguments.
2. In order to explain how black holes become a big bang, Hawking needs to include what?
(a) The theory of relativity.
(b) Quantum mechanics.
(c) The theory of everything.
(d) Particle physics.
3. Scientists start their understanding of the universe with what?
(b) A theory.
(d) Observations and mathematics.
4. Why did the Christian church adopt Ptolemy's view of the universe?
(a) Because it gives room for the existence of God.
(b) Because it gives room for the existence of heaven and hell.
(c) Because it gives room for the existence of other worlds.
(d) Because it gives room for the Biblical account of creation.
5. Scientists try to create explanations for the way the universe works that always do what?
(a) Are complex.
(b) Are developed in think tanks.
(c) Are simple and easy to understand.
(d) Work mathematically.
Short Answer Questions
1. Galaxies contain what?
2. In what year did Stephen Hawking enter the Royal Society of London?
3. The disease Stephen Hawking has affects what?
4. Who discovered the theory of gravity?
5. Aristotle thought that the Earth was what?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)