|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At one point in her life how does Hickey help Cheryl?
(a) He helps her through drug withdrawal and gets her out of prostitution.
(b) He pays her way through college.
(c) He saves her life after a traffic accident.
(d) He helps her get away from an abusive ex-husband.
2. What is Margaret's reaction to finding her son?
(a) She faints.
(b) She becomes incredibly excited and screams.
(c) She is unable to recognize him.
(d) She hugs him and refuses to let him go.
3. While Karen is holding Hickey at gunpoint, who does she make a phone call to?
(b) The police.
4. What does Karen try to do to distract Hickey once they return from the cabin to keep him from forcing himself on her?
(a) She locks him in the basement.
(b) She calls the police.
(c) She gives him a sleeping pill.
(d) She tries to get him drunk.
5. Margaret McDill is anxiously awaiting the arrival of whom in the beginning of the book?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her friend.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the FBI want to have completed before the kidnappers are tipped-off that they are suspects in the kidnapping crime?
2. What is the kidnapper's excuse to not let Karen go to the bank?
3. What is discovered about Hickey's childhood?
4. Back in Jackson, Dr. James McDill is trying to convince his wife to take what action?
5. Karen's resentment towards Will is from her having to give up her dream of what occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so significant about the amount of money chosen for ransom as described in Chapter 3? What will Hickey, Huey, and Cheryl it use the money for?
2. During Chapter 9, Dr. and Mrs. McDill talk with Special Agent Chalmers about what?
3. In Chapter 5, what makes the decision for Dr. and Mrs. McDill to go to the FBI so difficult?
4. Explain Joe Hickey's, Huey Cotton's, and Cheryl Lynn Tilly's typical kidnapping scheme, as described in Chapter 1.
5. In Chapter 5, how does the reader learn that Hickey's compassion is really non-existent?
6. Explain the relationship between Will and Karen Jennings, as described in Chapter 2.
7. In Chapter 5, how does Hickey display some common sense and compassion when it comes Abby?
8. What important information about Cheryl is revealed in Chapter 5 when Will tries to get Cheryl's gun?
9. Explain the events of Hickey's kidnapping of Abby in Chapter 2.
10. In Chapter 10, what evidence is given that Huey will do anything that Hickey asks him?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)